+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 6

Thread: What are your preparations for any potential crisis situation?

1. Link to Post #101
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

Default Re: What are your preparations for any potential crisis situation?

I have about 2 weeks worth of bottled water and I have bought solar powered lanterns and good surge protecters for our computers. Also, some food items. That's about all I can do, but it's something.

The spiritual preparation is a given. Been doing that for over 30 years.
    The Sage does not talk, The Talented Ones talk, And the Stupid Ones argue
    King Tingan
    Journey of Awakening

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Meesh For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (13th September 2012), Eram (13th September 2012), RunningDeer (13th September 2012)

3. Link to Post #102
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,583 times in 5,817 posts

Quote Posted by genevieve (here)
    And don't forget this wondrous food/health enhancer

--coconut oil

I purchased most of these items from Swanson's Vitamins online ...

Peace Love Joy & Harmony,
    Genevieve
    Hi Genevieve,

Thanks for the Swanson's Vitamin's lead. Here's a link for others: Swanson's Vitamins

(and a link straight to coconut oil): http://www.swansonvitamins.com/q?kw=cocout+oil&x=35&y=9

The price is less than half the price of my buying club price for virgin organic coconut oil. That is, if the measurements are reasonably close) I think the Swanson's is sold by weight in ounces and most oil is sold by the volume of liquid ounces that the container would hold.

Dennis

{edit to add}
    Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    I'd suggest potassium bicarbonate. Most of us are more in need of potassium than sodium, and potassium contributes more to keeping the body alkaline than does sodium.

Nuts.com did have a good price, and especially, thanks for the info about alkalizing water! You may need to do a long post in another thread on "Water" (I started creating a thread a couple of weeks ago, crashed my browser, and had so many tabs open that I forgot to go back and "Lazarus" it back to life.) The long post could describe your entire process, in detail. I'm interested and intrigued.

Dennis
    Last edited by Dennis Leahy; 13th September 2012 at 02:58.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

Christine (13th September 2012), Eram (13th September 2012), genevieve (14th September 2012), nomadguy (13th September 2012), RunningDeer (13th September 2012)

5. Link to Post #103
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,514 times in 32,788 posts

Quote Posted by Meesh (here)
    I have about 2 weeks worth of bottled water and I have bought solar powered lanterns and good surge protecters for our computers. Also, some food items. That's about all I can do, but it's something.
    EMP (Faraday) Bags. Cheap for the vital insurance they offer: they'll safeguard all your electronics in the event of an EMP/CME. Available here:

http://disasterstuff.com/store/pc/EM...-Bags-c128.htm

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Christine (13th September 2012), Dennis Leahy (13th September 2012), Eram (13th September 2012), Kimberley (13th September 2012), nomadguy (13th September 2012), Paladin14 (17th September 2012), RunningDeer (13th September 2012), Yoda (14th September 2012)

7. Link to Post #104
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,298 times in 18,139 posts

Last week, I collected a couple of large garbage bags of kindling from the State Forest for my new BioLite camp stove. And purchased additional fire starters, too.

BioLite Camp Stove for $129. No batteries and it also powers up gadgets like phone and iPad. The guy does a nice job demonstrating how it works.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Christine (13th September 2012), Dawn (13th September 2012), Dennis Leahy (13th September 2012), Eram (13th September 2012), jagman (13th September 2012), Ol' Roy (13th September 2012)

9. Link to Post #105
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Water Bottle

These are a couple of items with portability in mind. (i.e., living out of a car if disaster hits) This is a place to begin your research for price comparison and models.

Water Bottle

http://www.berkeyfilters.com/berkeysport.htm

“Berkey portable water filters are easy to use and very effective. Berkey portable water filters remove virtually all contaminants and bad flavors from water. Even pond water can be made drinkable with Berkey portable water filters.”

Refill Capacity:
    Water from any source -160
    Municipal Water - 640

“At 22 ounces and weighing less than 1 pound, the sport Berkey bottle is lightweight and easy to use. No pumps, or breakdowns to worry about either.  When encountering a lake, pond, or stream, just fill up and start drinking.”
    "The exclusive filter also incorporates proprietary absorbing media that are impregnated into the micro-porous filter for the IONIC absorption of pollutants into the filter such as aluminum, cadmium, chromium, copper, lead, mercury, and other dangerous heavy metals."

Eliminator - 1500 watts
    http://mysolarbackup.com/eliminator.html
    What I liked about this is portability and you can plug it into your car. The downside like all back up equipment, you can’t expect to run a lot of things for long periods of time without recharging. You have to factor in the recharge time. There’s a vid demo at the link above.

“The Eliminator is a backup power system that can supply up to 1500 W of household electricity and is an excellent alternative to a generator. It’s quiet and has no fumes, fuel or moving parts, making it safe for indoor use. This mobile workhorse can also be used outdoors, and operates a wide variety of electronics including communication devices, power tools, full-size appliances and more.”
    Applications
    Emergency power: operates essential appliances such as a fridge, cordless and cell phone, radio, fan, lamp, home security system, microwave, sump pump and more.
    Work productivity: operates power tools such as a drill, belt sander, circular saw and more; powers communication devices such as a laptop, desktop and monitor, printer, fax machine and more.
    Indoor and outdoor recreation: operates a TV, blender, video game console, portable cooler, coffee maker and more.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Christine (13th September 2012), Dawn (13th September 2012), Dennis Leahy (13th September 2012), Eram (13th September 2012), spiritwind (14th September 2012)

11. Link to Post #106
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I saved rmauersr's post on water bottles. rmauersr found my Berkey Filters cheaper at Amazon.com

Berkey portable water filters are easy to use and very effective. Berkey portable water filters remove virtually all contaminants and bad flavors from water. Even pond water can be made drinkable with Berkey portable water filters.”

Refill Capacity:
    Municipal Water - 640

“At 22 ounces and weighing less than 1 pound, the sport Berkey bottle is lightweight and easy to use. No pumps, or breakdowns to worry about either.  When encountering a lake, pond, or stream, just fill up and start drinking.”

"The exclusive filter also incorporates proprietary absorbing media that are impregnated into the micro-porous filter for the IONIC absorption of pollutants into the filter such as aluminum, cadmium, chromium, copper, lead, mercury, and other dangerous heavy metals."[/QUOTE]

At only $22.34 on Amazon.com, everyone should have one of these filters.

The Katadyn Mybottle is another good choce.

There are many models from Berkey and Katadyn. For those who want the best, the expensive Katadyn Pocket water filter has an amazing capacity of 13,000 gallons depending on the water. Lifetime guaranty if that means anything anymore.

[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by RunningDeer; 24th May 2013 at 17:18.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Christine (13th September 2012), Dawn (13th September 2012), Dennis Leahy (13th September 2012), Eram (13th September 2012), Ol' Roy (13th September 2012), spiritwind (14th September 2012)

13. Link to Post #107
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Last fall after loosing power for 6 days, I purchased a 2'X4' solar panel that's on wheels. It also has a battery back up and wall socket power source. For now, I use it to run my little techno gadgets and fan. It's also portable, so it fits into my car.

I've stocked up on food, water, medical supplies, batteries, dog food, paper products, toiletries, etc. My goal now to is to stock up before the prices sky rocket.
    Last edited by RunningDeer; 13th September 2012 at 12:19.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Christine (13th September 2012), Dawn (13th September 2012), Dennis Leahy (13th September 2012), Eram (13th September 2012), jagman (13th September 2012)

15. Link to Post #108
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,439 times in 1,555 posts

Good information here.

My newest purchase is a Hurricane hand cranked wheat grass juicer. http://www.harvestessentials.com/hur...ike-mj445.html

You can juice grass, greens, carrots, any sprouts. If you had to you could live off your front lawn.
    Last edited by Christine; 13th September 2012 at 03:47.

16. Link to Post #109
    United States Honored, Retired Member. Ron passed in October 2022.
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,257 times in 2,136 posts

Quote Posted by WhiteCrowBlackDeer (here)
    Water Bottle

These are a couple of items with portability in mind. (i.e., living out of a car if disaster hits) This is a place to begin your research for price comparison and models.

Water Bottle

“Berkey portable water filters are easy to use and very effective. Berkey portable water filters remove virtually all contaminants and bad flavors from water. Even pond water can be made drinkable with Berkey portable water filters.”

Refill Capacity:
    Municipal Water - 640

“At 22 ounces and weighing less than 1 pound, the sport Berkey bottle is lightweight and easy to use. No pumps, or breakdowns to worry about either. When encountering a lake, pond, or stream, just fill up and start drinking.”
    "The exclusive filter also incorporates proprietary absorbing media that are impregnated into the micro-porous filter for the IONIC absorption of pollutants into the filter such as aluminum, cadmium, chromium, copper, lead, mercury, and other dangerous heavy metals."

Eliminator - 1500 watts
    http://mysolarbackup.com/eliminator.html
    What I liked about this is portability and you can plug it into your car. The downside like all back up equipment, you can’t expect to run a lot of things for long periods of time without recharging. You have to factor in the recharge time. There’s a vid demo at the link above.

“The Eliminator is a backup power system that can supply up to 1500 W of household electricity and is an excellent alternative to a generator. It’s quiet and has no fumes, fuel or moving parts, making it safe for indoor use. This mobile workhorse can also be used outdoors, and operates a wide variety of electronics including communication devices, power tools, full-size appliances and more.”
    Applications
    Emergency power: operates essential appliances such as a fridge, cordless and cell phone, radio, fan, lamp, home security system, microwave, sump pump and more.
    Work productivity: operates power tools such as a drill, belt sander, circular saw and more; powers communication devices such as a laptop, desktop and monitor, printer, fax machine and more.
    Indoor and outdoor recreation: operates a TV, blender, video game console, portable cooler, coffee maker and more.
    The Berkey filters are great. Inexpensive also.

The eliminator has a 12 volt 60 amp hour battery that may output 1500 watts, but not for long. Let's say the battery is good for a 50% draw down of energy, or 30 amp hours @ 12VDC. That is an energy draw down of 360 watt hours. If the system were 100% efficient (it is not), the battery would be discharged 50% in about 14 minutes if the output was 1500 watts. However if the energy output was significantly less, it could be a useful device. Especially if solar panels were added to recharge the battery.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

Dawn (13th September 2012), Dennis Leahy (13th September 2012), Eram (13th September 2012), RunningDeer (13th September 2012), spiritwind (14th September 2012)

18. Link to Post #110
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,751 times in 1,912 posts

Interesting thread that started in January of 2011 a thread that I have not seen or participated in until now....

I have been prepared since 2008. My last item a year ago was a Burkey water filter http://www.berkeywaterfilters.com/

I do not have an underground bunker or a gun :-) I do have plenty of caned goods and rice and beans on hand. I also have the luxury of being an 11 year member of a CSA (community service agriculture) harvest entity that is a mile and a half from my home. So I have an abundance or fresh organic produce in my life for 22 weeks a year, June through November.

I am so grateful for the abundance in my life in so many ways! And I know that I created this!

Much love to us all!!!

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kimberley For This Post:

Dawn (13th September 2012), Dennis Leahy (13th September 2012), Eram (13th September 2012), Ol' Roy (13th September 2012), RunningDeer (13th September 2012)

20. Link to Post #111
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,209 times in 1,149 posts

I have done just about everything that is recommended. The nicest thing about completing this task a year ago is that I stopped thinking and worrying about it. I no longer worry about not being prepared or whether I will survive a disaster because I know I've done everything I could.

I'm very grateful for this thread though because there are some good ideas here.

Preparation Costs:
    One thing I will say is that I get most of my treasures second hand or on sale and therefore preparation has cost me very little. Some of my favorite disaster preparation treasures include
    * deep cycle batteries being retired from use in a nearby cell phone tower (for our solar system)
    * a lovely 1945 small generator in almost perfect condition
    * some used solar panels and 2 used inverters that are part of our solar system plans
    * 2 used electric bicycles that can be easily recharged and have carrying baskets attached to them. We recenly acquired a little aluminum folding trailer that attaches to these to carry additional gear.
    *2 well loved pre 1970 vehicles in excellent running condition that are not subject to EMP issues because they do not use electronic systems
    *used food-grade 55 gallon water drums that we've placed around our neighborhood along with a little hand pump to access the water
    * a used backpacking water filter
    *2 old microwave ovens that I use as faraday cages to store my small electronic items in

Critical Clothes: I just got a wonderful $39.00 polypropelene jacked from Wallmart (of all places) that does as much as my old $600.00 backpacking jacket. I have seen people nearly die for lack of this one important piece of clothing in unexpected weather changes.... a breathable waterproof jacket that I can easily move in is an absolute must.

Food:
    *We've been dehydrating all the extra garden produce we grow for a few years now. Dehydrated food still has vitamins, enzymes, and micro-nutrients intact compared to canned food and can be snacked on just as it is as long as you have water to drink... or it can be re-hydrated.
    *We've also stored chia seeds, quinoa, and teff.... high energy seeds that are gluten free.
    *For oils we have coconut oil which has a very long shelf life
    *Lots of powdered green drinks and powdered raw whole milk is in our larder as well

Clothes and shelter:
    We have layered backpacking type clothes, sleeping bags, a tent, space blankets, and backpacks ready to go.

Altoid can Survival Kits: And for a serious instant emergency we made these kits for ourselves. If you google 'altoid can survival kits' you can see lots of examples. If something sudden happens we can always grab these. Here's a sample photo of one that someone created:

Preparing to Run: We've timed a couple of practice runs to determine the route we would take in an emergency. Since we currently live on the central coast of California, these routes have involved how to get to higher ground FAST in case of a tsunami.

Barter: I've been saving my healthiest and most productive vegetables as seed producers for some time now. I have them carefully preserved in sealed bags with labels. I believe this will make for great barter material. It is amazing how many seeds one vegetable will make... and quite a few vegetable seeds will keep for many years if kept in sealed containers.

Downsizing: Currently we live in a very minimalistic way. My partner has taken apart the appliances we use and re-wired them to function on less electricity. This way we don't overload our little old trailer. For example, we cook on an electric hot plate that uses only 600 watts. This would be easy on our solar system if we needed to switch over.
    Last edited by Dawn; 13th September 2012 at 09:20.

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dawn For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (13th September 2012), Eram (13th September 2012), gooty64 (14th September 2012), RunningDeer (13th September 2012), Sith73 (18th August 2013), spiritwind (14th September 2012)

22. Link to Post #112
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,583 times in 5,817 posts

Quote Posted by Dawn (here)
    Barter: I've been saving my healthiest and most productive vegetables as seed producers for some time now. I have them carefully preserved in sealed bags with labels. I believe this will make for great barter material. It is amazing how many seeds one vegetable will make... and quite a few vegetable seeds will keep for many years if kept in sealed containers.
    For anyone interested, here is a handbook for saving seeds. I suspect most of us could learn something from this - I have it "open" to Seed Storage.

There are a few (a couple dozen?) organic seed companies left in the US that have not been bought-out by Monsanto. (I don't know about the rest of the world.) A package of organic seeds is approximately $3 now. I think this is probably one of the smartest items to stock up on - both for your family and for barter. (Maybe some of the seed suppliers will give deals on 2012 seeds too. Well stored seeds last many years. In fact, one seed company, Horizon Herbs, actually sells a type of corn ("Anasazi Sweet") that was found sealed in a pot in an Anasazi cave! )

What's your best guess as to how much a pack of organic seeds will be after the economic collapse? $20? $30?

Dennis

p.s. Here's the Anasazi Sweet:

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

Dawn (17th September 2012), genevieve (14th September 2012), gooty64 (14th September 2012), gripreaper (14th September 2012), RunningDeer (14th September 2012), spiritwind (14th September 2012)

24. Link to Post #113
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,543 times in 2,615 posts

Quote Posted by Dennis Leahy (here)
    p.s. Here's the Anasazi Sweet:
    I got to grow some Anasazi white beans once upon a time. They were first grown by a Univeristy after they were found, mine was second generation. I was too stupid at the time to assure that I kept some.. oh well.

I have about $100 worth of seed. It will make good trade item, and it can store, most of it, for a very long time... as the Anasazi seed proves. Keep it dry and cool. I store mine in a frige drawer in air proof zip locks or mason jars with tight lids.

Im also learning how to collect seed... getting pushed into that as I belong to a seed lending program in a public library. This year I have to return what I borrowed.

dont know how I turn on these italic lettering nor do I know how I manage to turn it off... it means nothing special

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arrowwind For This Post:

Dawn (17th September 2012), Dennis Leahy (14th September 2012), RunningDeer (14th September 2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 6