+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Altruistic Kidney Donation

1. Link to Post #1
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Default Altruistic Kidney Donation

A few years ago I became an altruistic kidney donor and it's one of the most rewarding things I've ever done. I want to contribute my testimony to encourage other people to take this life-saving step. My donation has not impaired my health in any way. When we are missing one kidney, the other naturally takes over the renal function and there is no problem at all. Before you are accepted as a donor, they make sure you're healthy. It is not a risky surgery. A minimally invasive technique called laparoscopic surgery is used. The surgeon makes 3 small (half an inch or less) incisions in your belly; one is for the camera, and the others for the surgical instruments. I was in the hospital 2 days and kept a week of rest at home. I lead the same life that I did before the operation, and that is the way it is in all cases of kidney donors that I know. I’m encouraging altruistic people to find out about it. There are always people on the waiting list for a kidney transplant. Their only chance of life depends on a donor. For someone altruistic, the gift of a lifetime is one of the greatest satisfactions that life can bring.

Non-directed (or altruistic) living kidney donation is becoming more widespread and that speaks highly of the moral evolution of humanity.
    https://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/bec...you-dont-know/
    Last edited by Javblanc; 28th December 2022 at 13:50.
    My soul is from elsewhere

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Javblanc For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (28th December 2022), Ewan (28th December 2022), Harmony (28th December 2022), Johan (Keyholder) (25th February 2023), Johnnycomelately (28th December 2022), Karen (Geophyz) (28th December 2022), Miller (28th December 2022), Pam (28th December 2022), rgray222 (28th December 2022), Sue (Ayt) (28th December 2022), wondering (28th December 2022)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,393 times in 3,308 posts

Default Re: Altruistic Kidney Donation

Javblanc, as a nurse that worked in dialysis and nephrology (kidney) areas of nursing for a long time I am very impressed by the sacrifice you made. It sounds like you did it for a stranger as well. This is a very rare, generous and kind thing that you did. Were you ever able to find out about the person that received your kidney? You most certainly improved the quality of their life!!!. And that is an understatement.

I would never go as far as to say it is not a risky surgery. All surgery has risks but it sounds like yours went as smooth as it could go so that is great!!!!! The other consideration is that, although you can function well with one healthy kidney, if something were to happen to the one you have you would be without a back up.

Thanks for sharing such an inspiring story!!!!

All in all, you are a very generous and kind person to make such a sacrifice for a total stranger. Dialysis for a long term can be very difficult so you really did a wonderful thing!!!!

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Arcturian108 (28th December 2022), Chip (29th December 2022), Denise/Dizi (28th December 2022), Ewan (28th December 2022), Javblanc (28th December 2022), Johan (Keyholder) (25th February 2023), Johnnycomelately (28th December 2022), Karen (Geophyz) (28th December 2022), rgray222 (28th December 2022), Sue (Ayt) (28th December 2022), wondering (28th December 2022)

+ Reply to Thread