Thread: Fasting according to the Quran

1. Link to Post #1
    Albania Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    Albanian
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,899 times in 467 posts

Default Fasting according to the Quran

[2 : 183] O you who have believed, decreed upon you is fasting as it was decreed upon those before you that you may become righteous -
    [2 : 184] A limited number of days. So whoever among you is ill or on a journey - then an equal number of days. And upon those who are able - a ransom of feeding a poor person. And whoever volunteers excess - it is better for him. But to fast is best for you, if you only knew.

[2 : 185] The month of Ramadhan in which was revealed the Qur'an, a guidance for the people and clear proofs of guidance and criterion. So whoever sights the month, let him fast it; and whoever is ill or on a journey - then an equal number of other days. Allah intends for you ease and does not intend for you hardship and for you to complete the period and to glorify Allah for that which He has guided you; and perhaps you will be grateful.

[2: 187] It has been made permissible for you the night preceding fasting to go to your wives. They are cover for you and you are cover for them. Allah knows that you used to deceive yourselves, so He accepted your repentance and forgave you. So now, have relations with them and seek that which Allah has decreed for you. And eat and drink until the white thread of dawn becomes distinct to you from the black thread. Then complete the fast until evening. And do not have relations with them as long as you are staying for worship in the mosques. These are the limits (set by) Allah , so do not approach them. Thus does Allah make clear His ordinances to the people that they may become righteous.
    Last edited by Eagle Eye; 23rd January 2023 at 11:34.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eagle Eye For This Post:

Hym (23rd January 2023), Inversion (24th January 2023), Johnnycomelately (23rd January 2023), Michel Leclerc (29th January 2023)

3. Link to Post #2
    Canada Avalon Member Johnnycomelately's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,577 times in 981 posts

Default Re: Fasting according to the Quran

Do you practice Ramadhan?

Quote Posted by Eagle Eye (here)
    [2 : 183] O you who have believed, decreed upon you is fasting as it was decreed upon those before you that you may become righteous -
    [2 : 184] A limited number of days. So whoever among you is ill or on a journey - then an equal number of days. And upon those who are able - a ransom of feeding a poor person. And whoever volunteers excess - it is better for him. But to fast is best for you, if you only knew.

[2 : 185] The month of Ramadhan in which was revealed the Qur'an, a guidance for the people and clear proofs of guidance and criterion. So whoever sights the month, let him fast it; and whoever is ill or on a journey - then an equal number of other days. Allah intends for you ease and does not intend for you hardship and for you to complete the period and to glorify Allah for that which He has guided you; and perhaps you will be grateful.

[2: 187] It has been made permissible for you the night preceding fasting to go to your wives. They are cover for you and you are cover for them. Allah knows that you used to deceive yourselves, so He accepted your repentance and forgave you. So now, have relations with them and seek that which Allah has decreed for you. And eat and drink until the white thread of dawn becomes distinct to you from the black thread. Then complete the fast until evening. And do not have relations with them as long as you are staying for worship in the mosques. These are the limits (set by) Allah , so do not approach them. Thus does Allah make clear His ordinances to the people that they may become righteous.
    Last edited by Johnnycomelately; 23rd January 2023 at 12:41. Reason: Sp.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Johnnycomelately For This Post:

Eagle Eye (23rd January 2023), Hym (23rd January 2023), Inversion (24th January 2023), Michel Leclerc (29th January 2023)

5. Link to Post #3
    Albania Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    Albanian
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,899 times in 467 posts

Quote Posted by Johnnycomelately (here)
    Do you practice Ramadan?
    Ramadan is called the month and moves 11 days a year according to lunar year.
    Yes, I practice fasting every year in that month.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Eagle Eye For This Post:

DeDukshyn (24th January 2023), Hym (23rd January 2023), Inversion (24th January 2023), Johnnycomelately (23rd January 2023), Michel Leclerc (29th January 2023)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,014 times in 784 posts

The Catholic fasting tradition is called the Black Fast, similar to Ramadam but during Lent

https://www.newadvent.org/cathen/02590c.htm

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CurEus For This Post:

Eagle Eye (24th January 2023), Hym (24th January 2023), Inversion (24th January 2023), Johnnycomelately (24th January 2023), Michel Leclerc (29th January 2023)

9. Link to Post #5
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,445 times in 8,541 posts

I'm not religious at all, but I have recently chosen to start fasting three days, at a specific point in every moon cycle (roughly once a month). Not just abstaining from food, but abstaining from any indulgences - food (other than water, and maybe some simple basics like bread), sex/masturbation, alcohol, etc. I also will fast against any strong emotions, and meditate often during these three days and focus on my breath, and maintaining three attitudes - appreciation, gratitude, and praise.

The reasoning for doing this at a very specific time, is, I have come across some very interesting esoteric knowledge that explains how this might be used to promote the physical body and the mind to much higher levels than what we currently understand. Interestingly, this information is coded in the scriptures of the abrahamic religions, in 'Jesus' teachings and in some of the great stories and cultural beliefs we have as well as some of our grandest art from through the ages.

I haven't started yet but will this month. If anything interesting comes of it, I'll write more on the topic on the forum.

All that said, there's also a general physical health benefit to regular fasting - it causes your body to change its genetic expression, and puts it into a state of self preservation where it will begin to heal disease and inflammation, require less food to maintain health, and make your cells more youthful. This has been more or less scientifically proven.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

CurEus (25th January 2023), Eagle Eye (24th January 2023), Hym (24th January 2023), Johnnycomelately (24th January 2023), Michel Leclerc (29th January 2023), Nenuphar (24th January 2023), Wind (24th January 2023)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,307 times in 1,825 posts

Quote Posted by DeDukshyn (here)
    Interestingly, this information is coded in the scriptures of the abrahamic religions, in 'Jesus' teachings and in some of the great stories and cultural beliefs we have as well as some of our grandest art from through the ages.
    These topics are fascinating to me, where can I read more about this?

I'm a big fan of fasting as well.
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

DeDukshyn (28th January 2023), Hym (28th January 2023), Johnnycomelately (28th January 2023), Michel Leclerc (29th January 2023), Wind (28th January 2023)

13. Link to Post #7
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Strat (here)
    Interestingly, this information is coded in the scriptures of the abrahamic religions, in 'Jesus' teachings and in some of the great stories and cultural beliefs we have as well as some of our grandest art from through the ages.

Here's two books - they are more expansive than just the topic at hand, but contain relevant information within. I do gather that you are a Christian, and while these books do refer heavily to the scriptures, they often do not reflect the modern religion's interpretations - just a fair warning, read with an open mind and heart

"God Man: The Word Made Flesh"

https://ia600202.us.archive.org/9/it...00carerich.pdf

"The Occult Anatomy of Man"

https://ia903108.us.archive.org/25/i...omy_of_man.pdf

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Johnnycomelately (28th January 2023), Michel Leclerc (29th January 2023), Strat (28th January 2023), Wind (28th January 2023)

15. Link to Post #8
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Here's two books - they are more expansive than just the topic at hand, but contain relevant information within. I do gather that you are a Christian, and while these books do refer heavily to the scriptures, they often do not reflect the modern religion's interpretations - just a fair warning, read with an open mind and heart

Thanks!

Why do you say I'm Christian lol?
    Last edited by Strat; 28th January 2023 at 10:07.
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Hym (28th January 2023), Johnnycomelately (29th January 2023), Michel Leclerc (29th January 2023)

17. Link to Post #9
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Thanks!

Why do you say I'm Christian lol?
    I just got that impression somewhere a while a back, pardon me if I got that wrong.

Also I don't think there's too much specifically on fasting in those two books, but more about treating your body like a sacred temple for 2.5 days every month when the moon is in your birth sign. Abstaining from all worldly indulgences during this time is important.

I can attest that there is an influence on your body during that period as I am sensitive enough to feel it easily. I used to think I was sensitive to a full moon, because when I first started noticing it, the full moon was in my sun sign, and it takes a couple months to completely drift away. I started paying attention again more recently, and noticed this influence was closer to the new moon, so that prompted me to do some research and figure out what was going on. The answer was in these books.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Hym (28th January 2023), Johnnycomelately (29th January 2023), Michel Leclerc (29th January 2023), Strat (28th January 2023), Wind (28th January 2023)

19. Link to Post #10
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I just got that impression somewhere a while a back, pardon me if I got that wrong.
    No worries, I was just curious. And I can see why one might think that, I often say 'God bless' and I do enjoy reading the Abrahamic texts.

Also I don't think there's too much specifically on fasting in those two books, but more about treating your body like a sacred temple for 2.5 days every month when the moon is in your birth sign. Abstaining from all worldly indulgences during this time is important.

I can attest that there is an influence on your body during that period as I am sensitive enough to feel it easily. I used to think I was sensitive to a full moon, because when I first started noticing it, the full moon was in my sun sign, and it takes a couple months to completely drift away. I started paying attention again more recently, and noticed this influence was closer to the new moon, so that prompted me to do some research and figure out what was going on. The answer was in these books.
    That sounds great, like a 'reset button.' So dumb question: this has some degree of its roots in astrology?
    Last edited by Strat; 28th January 2023 at 17:22.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

DeDukshyn (28th January 2023), Hym (28th January 2023), Johnnycomelately (29th January 2023), Michel Leclerc (29th January 2023), Wind (28th January 2023)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,033 times in 910 posts

Slowing. I call it Slowing.
    Slowing down the mind. Relaxing enough to regain bodily consciousness
    In its service to the Soul.
    Going deeper with the breathing, any breathing,
    That takes us into awakened dimensions
    Unique to each of us.

What's the concept there with "Fasting"?
    Hurrying up to get to the place of Slowing down?
    Ahh....I finally made it back home...Now I can relax and Slow the Roll...
    I'm not the first, I would guess, to call the entirety of language
    Nothing but a giant contradiction.

The practice of fasting is everywhere in spiritual living and the experiences are well worth having a go at it, especially when exploring your personal relationship with one or more paths, the ones incorrectly called religions.

I have a practicing muslim friend, an elderly american, who told me about his first experiences of praying during his preparations for Ramadan. I think it was about his travel to Mecca the first time.

During his first fasting WHILE PRAYING experience he found himself going down into a lower room, a cellar, where he encountered soldiers who appeared to be from centuries before. He could see them, hear them, but they could not see or hear him. He, by that time, understood the language, at least some of it, and was elated that he was somehow, thru the power of his discipline in fasting and his ability to correctly speak in the original language, transported into an experience of the real past.

The next year, with his efforts to be more mentally disciplined, in what I would see as a further understanding of restraining his emotional connections to surface stimulii, he told me of a very different experience.

He found himself in the same recognizable cellar, but this time he was hearing himself walking down the steps and recognizing that the warriors in the room also were aware of his presence. This time the warriors, with only a few differences in their appearances, yet with the same speech, the same language, were startled by his sudden appearance in the cellar. They yelled "Djinn ! Djinn !" directly at him, which in turn startled him back in to the room and into the present time where he had begun his prayers.

I know he wasn't a dark spirit, like the word Jinn denotes, and I do know if the warriors were more relaxed and in the same frame of mind that my friend was in, there may well have been a very different exchange, an exchange that seemed to cross the barriers of time and space. I see my friends ability to concentrate as a thoroughly worthwhile experience, even as it turned out to be one that he may have thereafter avoided.

I haven't seen him since, so the rest of his experience i may never know.
    There are endless accounts of the helpful experiences found in fasting.
    I would CAUTION anyone beginning this very healthy practice to take it slowly, much like the astute way in which Ramadan is lived, a practice that we see as intermittent fasting. As long as the practitioner is aware that shedding lack of control of our habits, through any discipline, is most valuable to our well being when we shed our attachments to ego.....That reminds me....My writing is a buzzkill at times...Thank goodness that writing is a short lived exercise...
    Last edited by Hym; 28th January 2023 at 18:41.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hym For This Post:

DeDukshyn (28th January 2023), Johnnycomelately (29th January 2023), Michel Leclerc (29th January 2023), Strat (28th January 2023), Wind (28th January 2023)

23. Link to Post #12
    Language
    English
    Thanks

No worries, I was just curious. And I can see why one might think that, I often say 'God bless' and I do enjoy reading the Abrahamic texts.

That sounds great, like a 'reset button.' So dumb question: this has some degree of its roots in astrology?
    It does have some relationship to astrology ... and now given what I have experienced, and read recently, I am wondering how much of astrology was actually aligned with Christ's teachings, and the older religions, and I also wonder how much of it was corrupted through the ages, most specifically by emperor Constantine, as he also sought to corrupt the teachings about Christ in creating Christianity the way he did.

Astrology definitely has strong roots in something real - even just considering how the earth's precession is measured by alignments to the astrological constellations, dividing time of the cycle into 12 units, we also divide years and days into 12 units - so the roots of astrology are in everything around us - even consider that we have a center in the body we medically refer to as the "solar plexus" - ever wonder why it has that name? This is referred to in the books I posted.

I am in the process of trying to find original teachings and meanings to these things before the corruption took too much hold - you will notice the books I posted are quite old - I am finding more interesting works in he 50-200 year old range these days.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Hym (28th January 2023), Johnnycomelately (29th January 2023), Michel Leclerc (29th January 2023), Strat (28th January 2023), Wind (28th January 2023)

25. Link to Post #13
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,964 times in 7,673 posts

It does have some relationship to astrology ... and now given what I have experienced, and read recently, I am wondering how much of astrology was actually aligned with Christ's teachings, and the older religions, and I also wonder how much of it was corrupted through the ages, most specifically by emperor Constantine, as he also sought to corrupt the teachings about Christ in creating Christianity the way he did.

Astrology definitely has strong roots in something real - even just considering how the earth's precession is measured by alignments to the astrological constellations, dividing time of the cycle into 12 units, we also divide years and days into 12 units - so the roots of astrology are in everything around us - even consider that we have a center in the body we medically refer to as the "solar plexus" - ever wonder why it has that name? This is referred to in the books I posted.
    I would suggest to read what Paracelsus wrote about healing and the astrogical effets of planets in relation to us.

"Fasting is the greatest remedy – the physician within.”

"Medicine rests upon four pillars—philosophy, astronomy, alchemy, and ethics. The first pillar is the philosophical knowledge of earth and water; the second, astronomy, supplies its full understanding of that which is of fiery and airy nature; the third is an adequate explanation of the properties of all the four elements—that is to say, of the whole cosmos—and an introduction into the art of their transformations; and finally, the fourth shows the physician those virtues which must stay with him up until his death, and it should support and complete the three other pillars."

~ Paracelsus
    "When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." ~ George Harrison

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

DeDukshyn (29th January 2023), Hym (29th January 2023), Johnnycomelately (29th January 2023), Michel Leclerc (29th January 2023), Strat (28th January 2023)

27. Link to Post #14
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Wind (here)

I would suggest to read what Paracelsus wrote about healing and the astrogical effets of planets in relation to us.

"Fasting is the greatest remedy – the physician within.”

"Medicine rests upon four pillars—philosophy, astronomy, alchemy, and ethics. The first pillar is the philosophical knowledge of earth and water; the second, astronomy, supplies its full understanding of that which is of fiery and airy nature; the third is an adequate explanation of the properties of all the four elements—that is to say, of the whole cosmos—and an introduction into the art of their transformations; and finally, the fourth shows the physician those virtues which must stay with him up until his death, and it should support and complete the three other pillars."

~ Paracelsus
    Don't quote me on this, but fasting may have cured my cluster headaches. I tried it after watching an interview with Georges St Pierre where he mentioned fasting under the supervision of Dr. Jason Fung. He was having health issues and it helped him a lot. I read Dr Fung's book and tried it. That was a couple years ago and I haven't had a headache since. I used to have several cluster periods per year since I was 16.
    Last edited by Strat; 28th January 2023 at 23:25.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

DeDukshyn (29th January 2023), Hym (29th January 2023), Johnnycomelately (29th January 2023), Michel Leclerc (29th January 2023), Wind (28th January 2023)

+ Reply to Thread