Thread: Not flat earth but...

1. Link to Post #81
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,747 times in 4,341 posts

Default Re: Not flat earth but...

For any who lost a few IQ points in this thread, here's a little pill to set you right called "facts, truth, and reality".

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Dick (3rd February 2023), ExomatrixTV (3rd February 2023), Franny (3rd February 2023), Tintin (3rd February 2023), Vangelo (2nd February 2023), XelNaga (2nd February 2023)

3. Link to Post #82
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,630 times in 675 posts

I've seen Toronto across the lake while standing in Fort Niagara, just about 20 miles west of Olcott. The view was almost identical to the above picture.
    The only place a perfect right angle ever CAN be, is the mind.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gord For This Post:

Franny (3rd February 2023), XelNaga (2nd February 2023)

5. Link to Post #83
    Ireland Avalon Member JackMcThorn's Avatar
    Language
    I talk american
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,466 times in 572 posts

The torus earthers are way more fun than the flat-earthers. With the torus design, all your shenanigans at sea make much more sense. [I travelled about 35,ooo nautical miles at sea in the late 9os.]

Name:  torus1.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  51.1 KB
    Irishness is not primarily a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition of being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it. ~ Conor C. O'Brien [1917-2oo8]

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JackMcThorn For This Post:

Delight (2nd February 2023), Franny (3rd February 2023), palehorse (2nd February 2023), XelNaga (2nd February 2023)

7. Link to Post #84
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,614 times in 5,382 posts

Morning Fox has been here a long time.

It's always sad to see them go, over what must have been a moment of emotional turmoil...

Just apologize and come back.

This thread should never have been...
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

drneglector (3rd February 2023), Franny (3rd February 2023), Johnnycomelately (12th February 2023), pueblo (3rd February 2023), Strat (2nd February 2023)

9. Link to Post #85
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,382 times in 5,726 posts

Quote Posted by Ernie Nemeth (here)
    Morning Fox has been here a long time.

It's always sad to see them go, over what must have been a moment of emotional turmoil...

Just apologize and come back.

This thread should never have been...
    I think there is something bigger than a moment of turmoil. What IS IT about the huge reaction people have to the basics we see as our (literal and figurative) ground of reality?

There are so many ways I have been convinced that I knew "what is what". Back in the days when I did not question much at all, I never entertained that we might not have actually been able to get to the moon by rocketry. I was not bothered by wondering if MY isms (like feminism) and culture was imposed ON ME. I had a "stable" belief system that was not 100% what my parents thought but was not TOO FAR OUT>

I recall an actual disgusted feeling when a friend kept sending me info about flat earth. The conversation possible around existence or not of viruses was very brief because OF COURSE there are viruses ETC (a whole can of worms). I LOVED talking to people but in retrospect we shared most assumptions about the ground floor. The strange seeming fact IMO is the need to pin down a platform on how "things are" which may become an emotional attachment. I don't KNOW if the earth has any particular shape myself and can only see from others. Will I feel upset if you disagree? Not about THAT but other issues.

What I DO see is that people may actually feel hate towards me for various differences. What they read onto me based on THEIR POV about anything and everything will create reaction. I see this as WAY more than whether we can measure curvature of the sphere, or ANY subject.

Some subjects like the existence or not of a previous global civilization never challenged me, but has very much challenged others. We can add giants, hollow earth, expanding earth and other subjects to a list of places we could go in thought and which may actually alienate people with other POV. Even back in the 90's, it was hard to find material about some alt subjects and Graham Hancock was controversial but not threatening.

Once only intrepid explorers could report and their reports were moderated often. Life was mostly local for humanity and what happened around the world was rather compartmentalized. Then resets might occur but we had big physical differences The other times, pockets of strange and unusual POV (think Credo Mutwah as an example of the real shamanic line of reasoning) were still available if one could travel to him. Then travel became temporarily more widespread and we began to see a rather more "open" minded potential about roles and relations and YES, religion and history and even the woo woo like "did we REALLY travel to the moon?" or whatever the case.

The internet really was AMAZING and had a brief moment of flourishing of unconstrained information. Now there is a swing towards constraint that is arising form within as well as from outside IMO. It has all gone too far. I can see it in a light which has shown how people can believe things that will cause physical harm. People believe and then want to impose a physical change in others. The collective mind is shattering and instead of seeing we may need to seek a different point to use as connection with truth, there is more likely a "war" between POVs.

This really really really.... BOTHERS me. I am afraid we may have reached the end of the line, the proverbial end of the "internet". This IS the first time the whole planet May possibly be conformed in mind. What WINS?

The mightiest of the tyrannical thought controllers will establish what is real and after lots of warring in and around some "thought things", the old stuff will be eradicated as much as possible and the few left alive (as we cannot have LOTS of various very different modes) will be

The TRUTH?
    Last edited by Delight; 2nd February 2023 at 15:13.

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

avid (2nd February 2023), drneglector (3rd February 2023), Ernie Nemeth (3rd February 2023), ExomatrixTV (11th April 2023), Franny (13th May 2023), JackMcThorn (2nd February 2023), mojo (2nd February 2023), Pam (2nd February 2023), Sue (Ayt) (2nd February 2023)

11. Link to Post #86
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,782 times in 2,666 posts

Anything to do with ‘flat earth’ surely now has no place here, it’s so divisive. Avoid it like the plague, it causes so much angst.
    We all can see our beautiful planet from space, and other celestial bodies nearby. Why are folk still nitpicking? So annoying, cease and desist flatearthers, epic failures abound,
    The love you withhold is the pain that you carry
    and er..
    "Chariots of the Globs" (apols to Fat Freddy's Cat)

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to avid For This Post:

Ernie Nemeth (3rd February 2023), ExomatrixTV (11th April 2023), Franny (13th May 2023), XelNaga (2nd February 2023)

13. Link to Post #87
    Thanks

Hopefully one day, he'll come around and realize, is THIS the subject you really want to get hung up on....when the whole world is upside down, people dying because of greed and their ethnicity. Yeah, those last two are ages old but still with as bad as its gotten, does it really, I mean really matter what the shape of the planet is? I've always had one serious question with the flat vs. round earth debate (yes, I get curiosity and wanting to question things), how does any of this impact my life in the slightest bit. It doesn't, its a mere distraction. Things happening today, around the world do impact my life and the way everything has ramped up since the pandemic, well, I think there are more pressing issues we need to try to stand together on. JMO!

-z
    A single thought is a seed....Imagination is the water!

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zebowho For This Post:

avid (2nd February 2023), Ernie Nemeth (3rd February 2023), Franny (13th May 2023), Sue (Ayt) (2nd February 2023), XelNaga (2nd February 2023)

15. Link to Post #88
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,576 times in 1,593 posts

Quote Posted by JackMcThorn (here)
    The torus earthers are way more fun than the flat-earthers. With the torus design, all your shenanigans at sea make much more sense. [I travelled about 35,ooo nautical miles at sea in the late 9os.]

Attachment 50371
    Homer Simpson land!!! haha thanks had never seen this one.

Here is another freaking funny one and of course they got a documentary about it, a 3D model, t-shirts, even bump stickers, go figure!

Welcome to Convex Earth

http://web.archive.org/web/202011090...nvexearth.org/

Last edited by palehorse; 2nd February 2023 at 16:46.
    --
    A chaos to the sense, a Kosmos to the reason.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Franny (13th May 2023), JackMcThorn (2nd February 2023), XelNaga (2nd February 2023)

17. Link to Post #89
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 times in 243 posts

Quote Posted by zebowho (here)
    Hopefully one day, he'll come around and realize, is THIS the subject you really want to get hung up on....when the whole world is upside down, people dying because of greed and their ethnicity. Yeah, those last two are ages old but still with as bad as its gotten, does it really, I mean really matter what the shape of the planet is? I've always had one serious question with the flat vs. round earth debate (yes, I get curiosity and wanting to question things), how does any of this impact my life in the slightest bit. It doesn't, its a mere distraction. Things happening today, around the world do impact my life and the way everything has ramped up since the pandemic, well, I think there are more pressing issues we need to try to stand together on. JMO!

-z
    It is simply because, people, most people, tend to think in black&white.

Flat Earth=Bible is true=there is "God"

Globe Earth=Bible is not true, science is true=there is no "God".

That is the basics of the flat Earth people, and why they are pushing it so hard, and why it is so hard for them to let it go.

I have never understood why one excludes the other, why evolution means no "God", and why "God" means that there can be no evolution. But that is the way it is with a lot, really a lot, of people.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to XelNaga For This Post:

drneglector (3rd February 2023), ExomatrixTV (28th April 2023), Franny (13th May 2023), mizo (2nd February 2023), Sue (Ayt) (2nd February 2023), zebowho (2nd February 2023)

19. Link to Post #90
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,466 times in 8,541 posts

Quote Posted by XelNaga (here)
    Quote Posted by zebowho (here)

-z
    It is simply because, people, most people, tend to think in black&white.

Flat Earth=Bible is true=there is "God"

Globe Earth=Bible is not true, science is true=there is no "God".

That is the basics of the flat Earth people, and why they are pushing it so hard, and why it is so hard for them to let it go.

I have never understood why one excludes the other, why evolution means no "God", and why "God" means that there can be no evolution. But that is the way it is with a lot, really a lot, of people.

It is that form of logic used for sure - and applied in other ways. Like I was told that I "must believe everything NASA says" because "I believe in a sphere earth". That is a ludicrous assertion.

1) "NASA isn't always honest" is true so "images of earth by NASA must be false". 2)"Images show inconsistency in continent size so image must be lie". then "evidence 1) corroborates evidence 2), so it must be proof!"

That logic is not logic, two failed logics together take you so much further from proof - it belies the entire premise being built on BS, that can probably be extended to similar arguments. Its a total failure of logic, and it is this total failure of logic that allows FE beliefs to persist. I will admit, there are some points that I understand might cause some people to question - but the logical answers are easily available to anyone who truly seeks the answer.

I have come to think that people who vehemently believe in a flat earth have no ability to do or understand deductive logic - as though that part of their brain just plain doesn't work. They can't see how they might be wrong because the understanding of the required logic is fully absent.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

drneglector (3rd February 2023), ExomatrixTV (28th April 2023), Franny (13th May 2023), Sue (Ayt) (2nd February 2023), XelNaga (3rd February 2023), zebowho (2nd February 2023)

21. Link to Post #91
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,944 times in 430 posts

This is a psychological phenomenon, a brutal example of how ideology can be destructive to the human mind, how it can disrupt the power of discernment and logical thinking.
    The same psychological processes are at play here as in people caught in the net of any other religious sect - everything is solely in the domain of belief and mental gymnastics accompanied by enormous cognitive dissonance.
    Is every mind connected to form a peer to peer network that creates the illusion of a shared reality, making the appearance of material reality a simulation created through shared beliefs?

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Isserley For This Post:

Franny (13th May 2023), XelNaga (3rd February 2023)

23. Link to Post #92
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,576 times in 1,593 posts

point the fingers to C I A, they decided to spin the wheels of flat earth once again, obviously because it works, lots and lots of people flocked straight into it without questioning, I even knew some dudes trying to make a living out of it, like asking donations to make a trip to the ice wall.. funny part they vanished after they got no donations at all.
    More circus and more bread to the folks, that's all we need
    --
    A chaos to the sense, a Kosmos to the reason.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Franny (13th May 2023), Sue (Ayt) (2nd February 2023), XelNaga (3rd February 2023)

25. Link to Post #93
    Netherlands Avalon Member
    Language
    Dutch
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,303 times in 1,173 posts

Quote Posted by Tintin (here)
    Quote Posted by MorningFox (here)
    Quote Posted by Brigantia (here)
    As I have posted before... back in the day when kids on board were invited up to the cockpit to meet the captain, I went up there once on a night flight and through the cockpit window I saw the curvature of the earth in the distance. I can still picture it as it's the most amazing sight I have ever seen.

No one can ever convince me that the earth is flat.
    You couldn't possibly see the curvature from plane altitude. Planes windows are curved, that was almost certainly an illusion from the curved window. I'm not saying earth is flat, I'm just saying that you cannot see curvature from that altitude.
    Actually, you can see it.

I have,myself, in an aeroplane, about 38 years ago flying at around 35,000 feet (perhaps more) passing over the Indian sub-continent back to Blighty from Hong Kong. It's a very gradual curvature given Earth's circumference size so it's not as markedly defined as say viewing a football (soccer) ball from any given vantage point. (I nearly said from any side there, and then corrected myself ).
    Curve can be seen when jumping out of an airplane too, it's not like outstanding, but see-able without any doubt, to me at the time anyway, I was more surprised I was able to breath tbh, even more with my chute opening btw, lol.

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 9ideon For This Post:

drneglector (3rd February 2023), ExomatrixTV (6th April 2023), Franny (13th May 2023), Tintin (3rd February 2023), Vangelo (3rd February 2023), XelNaga (3rd February 2023)

27. Link to Post #94
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,747 times in 4,341 posts

Some may ask why does the earth's shape matter? Why is all this such a big deal?

My answer is, when you see and hear people around you falling for an obvious lie - the flat earth is not just any lie but a ridiculous whopper of a lie - you're sort of duty-bound to do something about that.

It's no easy task. Sometimes the lie is so embedded in someone, so engrained, that cognitive dissonance has set in, and then there's really nothing more you can do. Cognitive dissonance is of course the whole point behind this lie.

The Earth has been a globe for a very long time. In fact it was globe long before its circumference was measured. It followed, for one, that it must be a globe because every other body in the heavens is a globe. It's how the cosmos must work! The ancients figured that out by pure, simple deduction - they weren't stupid. Then at last it was proven beyond doubt - see Eratosthenes, and that was the end of the matter. When powered flight and rocketry came about in the 20th century the globe became observable (if any doubt remained).

Can't believe I'm doing this, but ...

Go to 21 minutes. Footage of a Falcon Heavy test flight that was broadcast Live. From launch to orbit in one continuous feed.

It shows the round Earth. Once again it was broadcast LIVE.

There are many more images of the earth, filmed and photographed for the last 70 years (long before CGI and photoshop shenanigans).

Any tiny speck of resistance to the heliocentric model vanished in the 20th century. But for a tiny, tiny few maybe (those in the Flat Earth society, and most of them weren't even serious about it!) the flat earth was no more.

Then enter the Internet! and a new age of trolling, memes and mind control. Suddenly, after thousands of years, the earth could be flat again!!!

"So let's make it so", said someone in a dark office.

And why? It would be a useful TOOL.

A tool to do what? To coerce and controls minds (and there are plenty of soft, gullible minds out there!)

In other words, this flat earth nonsense is

A PSYOP

For what purpose?

It's two-fold.

One, to run interference. Create distraction and division in the 'alt community'. That succeeded. We now have people arguing over a matter settled two centuries before Christ. Yeh, seriously. Then again we have people today arguing whether men can have periods now, or if 2+2 in some scenario can equal 5. See how soft and gullible the modern brain has become?

The main target of this psyop is actually Joe Blow, the average guy or girl on the street - those whose existence spans little further than X-Factor or Love Island or the latest clip on Tiktok. Their brains are not gullible enough to fall for this lie, but soft enough to be easily shaped by it.

It's not about getting them to believe the earth is flat - that serves no useful purpose - it's about getting them to believe that those who do believe it's flat are stupid gullible conspiracy theorists.

So conspiracy theorist must therefore = The Mentally Deficient.

The flat earth is a 'fake conspiracy theory' designed to tarnish those two words 'conspiracy' and 'theory' when spoken together - automatically extending it to ALL conspiracy theories: JFK, UFOs, 9/11, fluoride, or whatever it is. ANY of them. It's to make wholesale mockery of those who believe in ANY of them.

And that's the bottom line.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

28. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

drneglector (3rd February 2023), Ewan (10th February 2023), ExomatrixTV (6th April 2023), Franny (13th May 2023), Johnnycomelately (12th February 2023), Kalamos (3rd February 2023), mizo (3rd February 2023), Sue (Ayt) (3rd February 2023), XelNaga (3rd February 2023)

29. Link to Post #95
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,429 times in 32,920 posts

I'm now closing this rather awful thread.

Last edited by Bill Ryan; 10th February 2023 at 14:18.

30. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

avid (11th February 2023), Brigantia (10th February 2023), DeDukshyn (10th February 2023), Ernie Nemeth (10th February 2023), Ewan (10th February 2023), Franny (13th May 2023), Inversion (10th February 2023), Johnnycomelately (12th February 2023), Mark (Star Mariner) (11th February 2023), mountain_jim (10th February 2023), Sirus (10th February 2023), Yoda (10th February 2023)

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 5