Thread: Important Recall Alerts

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Moderator Sue (Ayt)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,814 times in 2,589 posts

Default Important Recall Alerts

I thought this thread may be a good one to start to warn people about potentially dangerous recalls that they may be unaware of.

I saw this one on the news today, and I wondered how many folks may have this in their medicine cabinet and use it regularly without a thought, totally unaware that this recall was issued. Scary! Lots of people with dry or sore eyes use these over-the-counter "artificial tears" eyedrops.

Death, blindness, eye drops recall: California, other states report bacterial infections
    FEBRUARY 07, 2023

Certain eye drops are being recalled in California, New York, Texas, Florida and eight other states after an “extensively drug-resistant” bacteria outbreak led to permanent blindness and death. Pseudomonas aeruginosa — a strain that’s never been reported in the U.S. before the recent outbreak — is associated with several infections including eye infections. The rare germ has killed one person and blinded at least five others, according to a February health advisory statement from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Here’s what you need to know about which brands of artificial tears are being recalled and the health risks associated with using the drops.

WHICH EYE DROPS ARE RECALLED? National pharmaceutical company Global Pharma Healthcare pulled all EzriCare and Delsam Pharma’s lubricating artificial tears. The over-the-counter eye drops, typically sold online, were recalled last week. The CDC found the rare germ in open EzriCare eye drops from patients with and without eye infections. A couple of days later the CDC added Delsam Pharma’s artificial tears products to the recall list.
    https://www.sacbee.com/news/recalls/...#storylink=cpy
    "We're all bozos on this bus"

2. The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to Sue (Ayt) For This Post:

Alecs (9th February 2023), angelfire (10th February 2023), avid (9th February 2023), Bill Ryan (9th February 2023), Denise/Dizi (9th February 2023), earthdreamer (9th February 2023), Ewan (9th February 2023), gini (10th February 2023), Harmony (9th February 2023), Hermoor (9th February 2023), Inversion (9th February 2023), Ioneo (9th February 2023), Ivanhoe (9th February 2023), John Baptiste (9th February 2023), Johnnycomelately (10th February 2023), Le Chat (9th February 2023), Mark (Star Mariner) (9th February 2023), Mercedes (9th February 2023), Miller (9th February 2023), Pam (9th February 2023), Patient (9th February 2023), pueblo (9th February 2023), selinam (9th February 2023), Stephanie (9th February 2023), Tintin (9th February 2023), TrumanCash (10th February 2023), Vangelo (9th February 2023), wondering (9th February 2023)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,696 times in 3,333 posts

Default Re: Important Recall Alerts

I have become really aware of products as I no longer have any trust whatsoever in the safety of anything. This is one example . I bought a bottle of saline spray for nasal dryness. I bought it with total trust that it is just simple saline. I purchased this a while ago. One of the ingredients in this Benzalkonium Chloride. Check this out.

Benzalkonium chloride (BAK), otherwise known as alkyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride, is a toxic chemical used in cosmetics. It is a antimicrobial agent, deodorant, surfactant, and a preservative. Benzalkonium chloride has repeatedly demonstrated its toxic characteristics in laboratory, experimental, and clinical studies. This compound is known to cause extensive damage to the eyes, such as tear film instability, loss of goblet cells, conjunctival squamous metaplasia, apoptosis, damage to deeper ocular tissues, and disruption of the corneal epithelium barrier.
    https://naturalpedia.com/benzalkoniu...l-impacts.html

That is one of several preservatives and disinfectants in this product. I won't go into all of them but they are above and beyond the ingredients to make a simple saline. I can go and buy this same product today. The idea was to buy it as an alternative to some drug infused alternative for nasal congestion. I think it is really important to check the ingredients knowing that the FDA has absolutely no concern about the safety of product.

My days of trusting that ingredients in something must be safe or it wouldn't be for sale are over.

I remember years ago wearing contact lenses and the solution to store the contact lenses had thimerosol which is mercury based.Anyway, It caused huge issues, this was years ago and I found saline as an alternative.I just noted as I was checking the spelling
    of thimerosol that it is still used in vaccines and the CDC was explaining that there are different types of mercury so we need not worry about having it injected.

This is a sort of disorganized post, but the point is be really careful about any product you buy. We have to take personal responsibility for the safety of what we take to the best of our abilities because you don't have anyone looking out for your safety as many of us used to believe.

I am so sorry for those that used that product and paid such a high price. Thanks for the warning.

4. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Alecs (9th February 2023), Bill Ryan (9th February 2023), gini (10th February 2023), Ioneo (10th February 2023), Johnnycomelately (10th February 2023), Mercedes (9th February 2023), Miller (9th February 2023), Patient (9th February 2023), selinam (9th February 2023), Stephanie (9th February 2023), Sue (Ayt) (9th February 2023), Vangelo (10th February 2023), wondering (10th February 2023)

+ Reply to Thread