Thread: Why We Don't Trust Mainstream Media - The Munk Debates

1. Link to Post #1
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 125,741 times in 20,828 posts

Default Why We Don't Trust Mainstream Media - The Munk Debates

• Matt Taibbi And Douglas Murray Dismantle Mainstream Journalists In Heated Debate!

Some of the YouTube comments:
    • "Wow, that was absolutely insufferable. Well done to Matt Taibbi and Douglas Murray for keeping their cool".
    • "It's extremely eye-opening how hard Malcolm defends the mainstream media, says a lot".
    • "Malcolm was a walking, talking example of media dishonesty - an absolute living embodiment of their contempt and corruption".
    • Imagine trying to defend yourself when being accused of lying and gaslighting ... by lying and gaslighting.
    • “Having different opinions is so 20th century but having different facts is lethal” well said and so true!
    • "You can now understand why these establishment shills rarely risk public debates like that".
    • "Watching this made my disgust for mainstream media to double, I didn't think that was possible".
    • "That swing in polling is the first sign of hope I've seen in a long time.If ppl are presented with both arguments, rationally, (mostly) calmly, their minds and opinions can change in only a couple of hours... and THAT is EXACTLY why the MSM & the ‘left’ MUST shut down and even demonize debate or even the idea of there being a different viewpoint opposing their ‘correct’ one".
    Deadest of Hats quote: "As someone who suffered through 3 years of journalism school it's not at all misguided to distrust a journalist. They're trained to be propagandists".

Beny Schon quote: "I’ve watched this debate 3 times and every single time I am more heartbroken and shocked by Malcoms performance. I used to admire him".
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 26th February 2023 at 02:38.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Chris Gilbert (3rd March 2023), DeDukshyn (26th February 2023), Ewan (26th February 2023), gini (26th February 2023), jaybee (26th February 2023), Matthew (3rd March 2023), Miller (26th February 2023), NancyV (3rd March 2023), Nasu (21st March 2023), Open Minded Dude (26th February 2023), Reinhard (3rd March 2023), Sunny-side-up (26th February 2023), T Smith (3rd March 2023), thepainterdoug (26th February 2023), Vangelo (26th February 2023)

3. Link to Post #2
    Language
    Thanks

Default Re: Why We Don't Trust Mainstream Media - The Munk Debates

• The Munk Debates: Mainstream Media - "Be It Resolved, Don't Trust Mainstream Media"

Public trust in mainstream media is at an all-time low. Critics point to coverage of COVID-19, the 2020 election, and the Ottawa trucker protest as proof that legacy outlets like the New York Times, The Globe and Mail and CNN can no longer be relied upon to provide unbiased reporting. Activist journalists are using pen and paper to push political agendas while their bosses lean into the profitability of polarization. Mainstream media's defenders argue that their institutions offer an invaluable public service that alternative outlets are either incapable or uninterested in providing: careful fact-based reporting on important issues and holding the powerful to account. In a brave new world of "fake news" and "drive by" journalism, traditional news organizations are essential to democracy and a bulwark against corruption, misinformation and the private interests of the powerful.

This debate took place in Toronto on Wednesday, November 30th, 2022. Journalist Matt Taibbi and author Douglas Murray took on New Yorker contributor Malcolm Gladwell and columnist Michelle Goldberg of the New York Times. Taibbi and Murray argued for the proposition (that mainstream media COULD NOT BE TRUSTED). They won with the largest swing in the event's history, moving from a 48%-52% voter deficit to a 67%-33% win.

Transcript from the Munk Debates: "Be It Resolved: Don't Trust Mainstream Media"
    Excerpt:

Matt Taibbi On Mainstream Media: "Until We Get Back To The Basics, We Don't Deserve To Be Trusted."
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 26th February 2023 at 02:37.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Ewan (26th February 2023), jaybee (26th February 2023), Matthew (3rd March 2023), NancyV (3rd March 2023), Nasu (21st March 2023), Reinhard (3rd March 2023), Vangelo (26th February 2023)

5. Link to Post #3
    Language
    Thanks

Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 26th February 2023 at 02:47.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Ewan (26th February 2023), jaybee (26th February 2023), NancyV (3rd March 2023), Reinhard (3rd March 2023)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member thepainterdoug's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,162 times in 3,159 posts

John
    loved the debate, watched entire. couldnt stand all the race gladwell kept trying to bring into the non race issues.

when he said cronkite talked only to white people, how is that ?. when cronkite talked to the country about vietnam, he reported the war to all americans, black ,white ,women, men, the elderly etc. whoever chose to listen.
    Malcom gladwell was flusterd and full of it.

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to thepainterdoug For This Post:

DeDukshyn (26th February 2023), Ewan (26th February 2023), ExomatrixTV (26th February 2023), jaybee (26th February 2023), Matthew (3rd March 2023), NancyV (3rd March 2023), Nasu (21st March 2023), Reinhard (3rd March 2023), Sunny-side-up (26th February 2023), T Smith (3rd March 2023)

9. Link to Post #5
    Language
    Thanks

Quote Posted by thepainterdoug (here)
    John
    loved the debate, watched entire. couldnt stand all the race gladwell kept trying to bring into the non race issues.

when he said cronkite talked only to white people, how is that ?. when cronkite talked to the country about vietnam, he reported the war to all americans, black ,white ,women, men, the elderly etc. whoever chose to listen.
    Imagine if above debate is the new standard for ALL mainstream media platforms must use including the 100% transparent voting system before and after ... how fast does the narrow tunnel vision corporate pushed narratives crumble ... like snowflakes in the desert full of sunshine!
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 26th February 2023 at 15:37.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Ewan (3rd March 2023), jaybee (26th February 2023), Matthew (3rd March 2023), NancyV (3rd March 2023), Nasu (21st March 2023), T Smith (3rd March 2023)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,976 times in 2,208 posts

Quote Posted by ExomatrixTV (here)
    Quote Posted by thepainterdoug (here)
    John

Imagine if above debate is the new standard for ALL mainstream media platforms must use including the 100% transparent voting system before and after ... how fast does the narrow tunnel vision corporate pushed narratives crumble ... like snowflakes in the desert full of sunshine!

Too true... a couple or three days ago I happened to see an epic rant by Owen Shroyer on an Infowars show about the way inferior, ignorant people of low intellect, with no moral compass - who are able to lie with impunity - often with spiritual and mental illness -(those are my words not his from memory, as I've tried to find it again but so far haven't managed to..)... how these kinds of people are blatantly used by the Deep State and elevated to positions of power in all institutions in a massive gaslighting of decent honest citizens... who are left demoralized and emotionally floundering to see for example Biden and Harris in the two most senior positions in American politics... and the way the trans thing is used in the same way...

So far I've watched the shorter OP video + you could feel and see the intellectual and moral inferiority of Gladwell especially - but also Goldberg,.... so no wonder there was as you said below... the biggest swing in the event's history..

Quote This debate took place in Toronto on Wednesday, November 30th, 2022. Journalist Matt Taibbi and author Douglas Murray took on New Yorker contributor Malcolm Gladwell and columnist Michelle Goldberg of the New York Times. Taibbi and Murray argued for the proposition (that mainstream media COULD NOT BE TRUSTED). They won with the largest swing in the event's history, moving from a 48%-52% voter deficit to a 67%-33% win.
    It was good to see and I'm going to watch the longer version soon... thanks

Last edited by jaybee; 26th February 2023 at 18:12.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jaybee For This Post:

Ewan (3rd March 2023), ExomatrixTV (26th February 2023), NancyV (3rd March 2023), Nasu (21st March 2023), Reinhard (3rd March 2023), T Smith (3rd March 2023)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,393 times in 3,308 posts

Exo, I hope you are ok with me putting this in your thread. It is distantly on topic, mods move if appropriate. I may be totally naive but this was absolutely mindboggling what filters on Tiktok do to a persons face. I have never been a user of it, but it is just another major deception. I admire these women who show themselves with the filter and without.

It makes every woman or man beautiful or handsome and it does a creepy good job of it. I didn't think we could get any more superficial than we already are as a culture. And this is one of the most social platforms on the planet. Weird.

I wonder if dating apps have this service. The consequence is identifying more with this fake beautiful self, I liked every woman better without the filter incidently, the fake self than your own looks, good and bad.

Tiktok filters....

Source: https://www.bitchute.com/video/Yzku0MvWcklu
    Last edited by Pam; 3rd March 2023 at 13:59.

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Ewan (3rd March 2023), ExomatrixTV (3rd March 2023), jaybee (3rd March 2023), Miller (3rd March 2023), NancyV (3rd March 2023), Nasu (21st March 2023), Orph (3rd March 2023), Reinhard (3rd March 2023), T Smith (3rd March 2023)

15. Link to Post #8
    Language
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Pam (here)
    Exo, I hope you are ok with me putting this in your thread.
    This is so wrong on so many psychological levels ... When you study Mark Zuckerfck former owner of Fakebook how he explains "Metaverse" all part of the WEF's Vision of their Dystopian version of Future's Humanity connected to their "Agenda2030" ... >>> You realize they really want to take over how we see ourselves and totally dominate with false projected (pushed) tunnel vision narratives and let you be a "willing participant" helping a corrupt world full of (automated) deception techniques ... as "the new normal".
    • And yes, it is a 100% related issue with this forum thread.
    cheers,
    John 🦜🦋🌳
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 3rd March 2023 at 14:40.

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Bassplayer1 (3rd March 2023), Ewan (3rd March 2023), jaybee (3rd March 2023), NancyV (3rd March 2023), Nasu (21st March 2023), Orph (3rd March 2023), Pam (3rd March 2023), Reinhard (3rd March 2023), T Smith (3rd March 2023)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,393 times in 3,308 posts

That's exactly what I came to. For a superficial society why not live online where you can go from being plain to being what they consider beauty. Imagine the draw of that. You could have a whole life of this beautified version of yourself. I'm sure that filter can make your body look however you want it to. Take off 6 inches of waistline and perfect boobs and butt. You can have men attracted to you. You could enter the virtual world as that person. The implications of this are endless. Plus, the encouragement that you are your looks .

I can only guess what they can really do with that stuff if this is thrown out there for everyone to use. Add to that the incredible possibilities with holographic imaging and anything is possible.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Bassplayer1 (3rd March 2023), Ewan (3rd March 2023), ExomatrixTV (3rd March 2023), jaybee (3rd March 2023), Nasu (21st March 2023), T Smith (3rd March 2023)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,413 times in 1,676 posts

Quote Posted by jaybee (here)

Quote This debate took place in Toronto on Wednesday, November 30th, 2022. Journalist Matt Taibbi and author Douglas Murray took on New Yorker contributor Malcolm Gladwell and columnist Michelle Goldberg of the New York Times. Taibbi and Murray argued for the proposition (that mainstream media COULD NOT BE TRUSTED). They won with the largest swing in the event's history, moving from a 48%-52% voter deficit to a 67%-33% win.
    It was good to see and I'm going to watch the longer version soon... thanks

It's honestly hard for me to understand how even 33% of audience still held the con position. Forget the fact that both Malcom and Michelle were horrible debaters, there is absolutely no merit to the "MSM should be trusted" side of the debate. None. I actually was rooting for the MSM proponents, as underdogs, to come up with something, anything convincing. Given their side of the debate, it was lost before it started.

It's also hard for me to fathom what the motive might be for anyone arguing on behalf of the MSM or advancing any of the arguments M&M presented in the debate, i.e., do they truly believe what they are saying? Or are their arguments just another tactic to deceive? Like their reporting? When a snake-oil salesmen sells his wares, he does if for the coin. But he knows full well his product is bullocks; I'm not sure where Malcom and Michelle fall on this continuum. I'm having a hard time understanding if they actually believe the sky is green?

Just another one of life's mysteries...
    Last edited by T Smith; 3rd March 2023 at 16:49.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to T Smith For This Post:

Ernie Nemeth (3rd March 2023), Ewan (3rd March 2023), ExomatrixTV (3rd March 2023), jaybee (3rd March 2023), Nasu (21st March 2023)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,976 times in 2,208 posts

Quote Posted by T Smith (here)

{snipped - see above..}

It's also hard for me to fathom what the motive might be for anyone arguing on behalf of the MSM or advancing any of the arguments M&M presented in the debate, i.e., do they truly believe what they are saying? Or are their arguments just another tactic to deceive? Like their reporting? When a snake-oil salesmen sells his wares, he does if for the coin. But he knows full well his product is bullocks; I'm not sure where Malcom and Michelle fall on this continuum. I'm having a hard time understanding if they actually believe the sky is green?

Just another one of life's mysteries...
    Your post reminded me I was going to watch the whole debate - and I did just now so it's all fresh in my mind...

IMO - It's hard for a lot (most?) of MSM journalists to acknowledge or even see that they are now more or less paid propagandists... Michelle would fit squarely in this category, I think because she didn't seem very bright to me - Malcolm was also in denial but on top of that was more than happy to hit below the belt, in an annoying but ineffectual way and appeared to have a kind of superiority complex - I think it was his attitude that lost them the debate so heavily - but I expect he wasn't bothered because he would just think everyone was a bit stupid but HE knew what he was talking about - his straw man attacks were pretty pathetic..

Matt and Douglas made a great team I thought... but of course I was on their side... ...
    Last edited by jaybee; 3rd March 2023 at 20:37.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jaybee For This Post:

Ewan (3rd March 2023), ExomatrixTV (4th March 2023), Nasu (21st March 2023), T Smith (7th March 2023)

23. Link to Post #12
    Language
    Thanks

24. The Following User Says Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Nasu (21st March 2023)

25. Link to Post #13
    Wales Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,223 times in 940 posts

Commentary from the late Dick Gregory on how the internet is replacing mainstream news.

I could listen to (and have!) that man all day.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to happyuk For This Post:

Nasu (21st March 2023)

27. Link to Post #14
    Language
    Thanks

• Tucker Carlson: The Media’s Job Is To Control!

Fox News Channel's Tucker Carlson recently talked about what he learned during his career in media during an appearance on the "Full Send" podcast, lighting into his corporate media colleagues (and former self) for lying at the behest of the establishment and expressing regret over his past defense of the Iraq War. Jimmy and Americans’ Comedian Kurt Metzger wonder at how Carlson can get away with such apostasy while remaining as host on a mainstream outlet like Fox.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Nasu (21st March 2023)

29. Link to Post #15
    Language
    Thanks

• Joe Rogan Blasts The Left As The New Authoritarian Party: Robby, Brie, Batya React:

Briahna Joy Gray, Batya Ungar-Sargon and Robby Soave react to podcaster Joe Rogan's comment that there is a culture shift taking place within the left and right wings.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Nasu (21st March 2023)

+ Reply to Thread