+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 4 LastLast

Thread: What’s in your emergency bug out bag?

1. Link to Post #21
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,191 times in 4,071 posts

Default Re: What’s in your emergency bug out bag?

Quote Posted by Pam (here)
    I watched this documentary about very simple cheap and lightweight fairly durable living structures. ...
    Ah I saw a documentary about the homeless guy with the goats and cart. It inspired me. I think of his lifestyle a lot. That guy has a metal weedwhacker pressure sprayer container, that he fills with water then heats over a fire, then pumps the pressure to make a shower. I bought a small one with that purpose in mind.

YouTube 123HomeFree

Quote Posted by RatRodRob...RRR (here)

The "Bug To" would be my choice, but a group will only let you in if you have or can do something for that group, other wise you are just a useless eater to them.
    My reliance on medication would actually make a bug out or a bug to impossible for me so im screwed either way, think ill just get a deck chair and plant it on a beach somewhere with bourbon and ciggys ......................................RRR

All my flapping and prepping I think you have the right spirit. Have you got room for another? I'll bring cigars?

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Matthew For This Post:

Anchor (2nd March 2023), Bill Ryan (2nd March 2023), Casey Claar (3rd March 2023), Denise/Dizi (3rd March 2023), Ernie Nemeth (3rd March 2023), ExomatrixTV (2nd March 2023), happyuk (2nd March 2023), Harmony (2nd March 2023), Miller (2nd March 2023), Nasu (3rd March 2023), Pam (2nd March 2023), RatRodRob...RRR (3rd March 2023), Sérénité (2nd March 2023), Tigger (3rd March 2023), Vicus (2nd March 2023)

3. Link to Post #22
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,814 times in 3,730 posts

--

Bug-in > Bug-to > Bug-out > Bugging out and never coming back.

Bug in, is BEST when you can, and I think should be the preferred choice as it trumps all the others in terms of risk management for lots of reasons and having your stuff to hand. However you have to have a town/utility independent supply of food and water to make it work - depending on your means aim for at least 4 weeks per person (and any of the other living entities in your charge). Also where possible to do so consider what you can do extra for hungry neighbors. If you don't think through your bug in plans, you may need to escalate to riskier options when otherwise you might not have needed to.

Bug-to

For this to work, you have to have an alternative location prearranged, and the means to travel there on foot (for the worst case), horseback/bike or car. Whatever your plan is, you must have rehearsed it - and if involves sleeping outside, then you have to do it for real.

Bug-out

For how long? Regardless... this consideration is for people that can't plan ahead and get caught essentially unprepared - if they had been prepared they would most likely be doing "bug-to"

For most scenarios where this becomes necessary, unless you are a have up to date practice at living with your bug out kit especially with the "out" part of bugging out and all the survival or bush-crafting skills that are required, it can spectacularly complicate your life and worst case - shorten it.

I have a bug out option for car and another for foot - fully prepped. They are the absolute last resort. The above posts, especially Bill and Tiyaira's posts have you covered.

Final thoughts:

- it has been mentioned, I want to stress it, the ability to make water safe to drink is an absolutely vital skill in ALL of the scenarios.

- review your footwear and clothing choices - when you bug out you need to be wearing the boots you will live and may quite possibly die in!

- cordage has been mentioned, but I would just like to add tarred nylon bank-line - it is a "Swiss Knife" of cordage very light and strong - a great addition to paracord.

- keep the weight down when on foot - you may need to move really fast.

ITS ALL GOING TO BE OK.
    The truth is becoming known, the truth that you already know is spreading and is less and less fettered as each day passes.
    Nevertheless turmoil created in the war between the goodies and baddies makes consideration of the survival scenarios necessary and fortune does favor the prepared.
    -- Let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all --

4. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Anchor For This Post:

Bill Ryan (2nd March 2023), Casey Claar (3rd March 2023), Denise/Dizi (3rd March 2023), ExomatrixTV (2nd March 2023), Harmony (2nd March 2023), Jambo (3rd March 2023), Matthew (2nd March 2023), Miller (3rd March 2023), Nasu (3rd March 2023), Pam (2nd March 2023), RatRodRob...RRR (3rd March 2023), Sérénité (2nd March 2023), Tigger (3rd March 2023)

5. Link to Post #23
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,930 times in 428 posts

The "Bug To" would be my choice, but a group will only let you in if you have or can do something for that group, other wise you are just a useless eater to them.
    My reliance on medication would actually make a bug out or a bug to impossible for me so im screwed either way, think ill just get a deck chair and plant it on a beach somewhere with bourbon and ciggys ......................................RRR

This is exactly my plan as well..
    With 9 months old baby I can put dipers in my bag and ask myself - is it possible that I chose this lifetime?
    Is every mind connected to form a peer to peer network that creates the illusion of a shared reality, making the appearance of material reality a simulation created through shared beliefs?

6. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Isserley For This Post:

Bill Ryan (2nd March 2023), Casey Claar (3rd March 2023), Denise/Dizi (3rd March 2023), ExomatrixTV (2nd March 2023), Harmony (2nd March 2023), Jambo (3rd March 2023), Matthew (2nd March 2023), Miller (2nd March 2023), Nasu (3rd March 2023), Pam (2nd March 2023), RatRodRob...RRR (3rd March 2023), Seeclearly (2nd March 2023), Sérénité (2nd March 2023), Tigger (3rd March 2023)

7. Link to Post #24
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,307 times in 1,825 posts

Is it too off topic to ask what you guys carry in your car for everyday emergencies? I don't mean jumper cables but like water, first aid, fire extinguisher etc. Items for humans not automobiles.

I'm an extremely organized person so I don't (/can't) carry much in my truck. I keep kicking myself for not being prepared for a fire or first aid. When I had a car I had these things in my trunk, as well as water. What about you guys?

Before someone quotes me with an idea of how I can store items safely in the bed of my truck... it's not happening. Long story lol
    Last edited by Strat; 2nd March 2023 at 14:07.
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

8. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Bill Ryan (2nd March 2023), Casey Claar (3rd March 2023), Denise/Dizi (3rd March 2023), ExomatrixTV (2nd March 2023), happyuk (2nd March 2023), Harmony (3rd March 2023), Jambo (3rd March 2023), Matthew (2nd March 2023), Miller (3rd March 2023), Nasu (3rd March 2023), Sérénité (2nd March 2023), Tigger (3rd March 2023)

9. Link to Post #25
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,413 times in 1,572 posts

My strategy for whatever it worth is very simple but not easy to move in a hurry, I have a place more than 600km away from where I am right now, that would be the place to be if everything goes under, but if I can't get there in time then plan B kicks in.

Plan B (seems it is more important than plan A but it is not, plan A is already established, but plan B would be from scratch)

I am studying to get a plot of land right in the border with a national park that goes into Myanmar, it is a huge area covered by native jungle. Here are some key points that made me chose this particular area:

- no cellular towers, no signal (I confirmed myself).
    - there is lots of water from rivers to stream to water springs, fish in abundance.
    - fertile soil, anything will grow, I found a small farmer planting coffee around there, also lots of small holders planting all sort of vegetables.
    - the is no checkpoints or border control around this area, no police stations, no electricity, no public water, no nothing, it is literally off the grid place and a very small community spread around.
    - it is a freeway straight into Myanmar through the jungle (far from conflicted areas like Hpa-an in Karen state).
    - access is trick, roads are not maintained, 4x4 is preferable to access the place, sedans won't do well in there.
    - since it rains a lot in the area, and it is close to sea and jungle, no need to say it is very humid all year round (maybe it is a downside for some).

I went to check the area months ago and planning to get there again in a few weeks, I am studying now the possibility to lease the land from the local people, have the place handy just in case plan A fail.

I had to adapt for my specific situation, there is no unique solution that fits all, you have to research what works for you.

I found this place because a friend told me about the area, he is a ranger in a national park about 140km from that area and he knows the entire area, he said it would be probably a great place to be in a shtf scenario, but one need skills to survive and hunt/fish for food, there is nothing there, it is pristine nature!

tip for shelter and cooking

Bamboo shelter with coconut straw as roof is a great option for those living in tropical countries, quick to build, protect from sunlight and rain, just do not build such structure in the open (not wind proof also heavy rain not good), find a nice shady area with trees around, clean the ground very well before build. I already built myself more than 5x, slept twice inside of it, not bad.

I also built a cob oven (small one) with my kid, we did on the weekend, cooked some pork leg and corns, small cob ovens can be built is less than 2 hours if you got the right skill, it doesn't need to be perfect or fancy, just functional. You can basically prepare any meal with the oven, I boiled eggs on it already, all you need is a can and water and eggs, a bonfire will do the trick too

Here are a few things I have always ready to go, nothing fancy, just useful stuffs when I go out to camping or exploring some areas around, store in the truck and good to go.

from left to right I got
    - 5L of Kerosene (usually I carry 1 can of 300ml when going out for the weekend)
    - matches
    - kerosene lamp
    - fishing accessories, hooks, floaters, sinkers, line in different sizes, the full set.
    - a pair of baofeng 888S models good for around 5km talking, tested already. it is a two-way comm radio with FM/AM and a flashlight built-in.
    - small knife for general use.

the 2 boxes in the background of the photo is packed with all sort of things that may be useful including canned food, clothing, etc.. it fits exactly in the back of the truck.. a jungle in a tropical country is very different from a forest in a cold country, here we got all sort of animals including very long boas, which will scary the hell out of anyone that never saw one before, also is advised to use long sleeves full time or at least in the evening when the bugs comes out, a bonfire will help with the situation which occur everyday around sunset time.

It never seems to be enough, but I lost count how many time went out and carried lots of things that I end up never using, in the end all the basic stuffs is what you need.
    --
    A chaos to the sense, a Kosmos to the reason.

10. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Bill Ryan (2nd March 2023), Casey Claar (3rd March 2023), Denise/Dizi (3rd March 2023), ExomatrixTV (2nd March 2023), Harmony (3rd March 2023), Jambo (3rd March 2023), Miller (3rd March 2023), Nasu (3rd March 2023), RatRodRob...RRR (3rd March 2023), Sérénité (2nd March 2023), Tigger (10th March 2023), Tiyaira (2nd March 2023), Vicus (2nd March 2023)

11. Link to Post #26
    Language
    Spanish
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,291 times in 1,657 posts

Learning

2 years ago a friend wanted to test his new tent and cooking stuff...

We needed a long travel by train with our bicycles withal because we wanted out from city to "outlaw" camping...
    On the way searching for a "place" happens "little problem", some cord from my bag came into the wheel and here came to perform my "Swiss" knife.

It was late winter without snow, and I wear my standard from eons military pants and boots.
    After finish the tent, I thought now come fire making, nope! he got a gas cane and warmed some caned food.
    Already finish our dinner( it was dark) began to rain *!'#!... all night long and half next morning! the wheatear
    prognoses' was wrong!
    Good thing the tent was optimal and we make jokes all night, bad thing I needed to pee and went outside with my
    only socks! after hanged it some where I went to my sleeping bag and began the wet hell!

The humidity was unbearable, I needed new dry socks and something under my back!
    In short: no sleep and dangerous cooled only waiting to the jerk awakening and go home!
    Finally awake he joke "you are worse as my wife..." and I knew why she don't wanted to come...

Lessons learning: extra warm(all sort) clothing and something to mate with your back against humidity...

PS: we make some experiments with our smart phones with tin foil...
    his was mute, no signal came, with mine don't worked.
    He have a you tube channel about "places" in the city and outside and wanted to test if he can be "invisible"...without use it of course.
    Last edited by Vicus; 2nd March 2023 at 14:55.

12. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Vicus For This Post:

Bill Ryan (2nd March 2023), Casey Claar (3rd March 2023), Denise/Dizi (3rd March 2023), Ernie Nemeth (3rd March 2023), ExomatrixTV (2nd March 2023), happyuk (2nd March 2023), Harmony (3rd March 2023), Jambo (3rd March 2023), Matthew (2nd March 2023), Miller (3rd March 2023), Nasu (3rd March 2023), palehorse (2nd March 2023), RatRodRob...RRR (3rd March 2023), Sérénité (2nd March 2023), Tigger (10th March 2023)

13. Link to Post #27
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,191 times in 4,071 posts

Quote Posted by Strat (here)
    Is it too off topic to ask what you guys carry in your car for everyday emergencies? I don't mean jumper cables but like water, first aid, fire extinguisher etc. Items for humans not automobiles.

I'm an extremely organized person so I don't (/can't) carry much in my truck. I keep kicking myself for not being prepared for a fire or first aid. When I had a car I had these things in my trunk, as well as water. What about you guys?

Before someone quotes me with an idea of how I can store items safely in the bed of my truck... it's not happening. Long story lol
    In my car I have enough MRE rations and dried food for one person for a week, a gas stove, a stove heater converter which turns the gas stove into a heater, spare gas cans, new bottles of water, 2xblankets, waterproof coat, waterproof trousers, waterproof shoes, a spare thick woolen jumper, a solid fuel burner stove which burns sticks, a kettle, cutlery sets (proper ones not puny camping ones), plastic plates, mugs, tea, dried milk, a micro shovel, some cash, an inverter to plug a mains plug, a big roll of gaffer tape. I have a very small car. It takes up half my boot. I've just ordered a few meters roll of 90gsm black paper, three foot wide, to be able to shut out light. Edit add: and toilet paper, and military sachets of coffee.

14. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Matthew For This Post:

Bill Ryan (2nd March 2023), Casey Claar (3rd March 2023), Denise/Dizi (3rd March 2023), Ernie Nemeth (3rd March 2023), ExomatrixTV (2nd March 2023), happyuk (2nd March 2023), Harmony (3rd March 2023), Jambo (3rd March 2023), Nasu (3rd March 2023), RatRodRob...RRR (3rd March 2023), Sérénité (2nd March 2023), Tigger (10th March 2023), Vicus (2nd March 2023)

15. Link to Post #28
    Estonia Avalon Member
    Language
    Estonian
    Thanks

I guess im too depressed to have any survival kit or an survival plan. My work got shut down for a year when scamdemic started so ive been in poverty and in survival mode ever since lol .
    Running and hiding in the woods from NWO might seem like a decent plan but in the long term what will be achieved with this ? Bad guys will win and will get their NWO and in your next lifetime you will be born into it. Every fifth person already gets born into CCP China and one can imagine how complicated it can be to spiritually grow in the right direction in a place like that . But when the whole planet is gonna turned into something similar ... It will be spiritual hell where materialism and selfishness rule over everything .
    In this lifetime we have a chance to stop it . If we dont our next lifetimes might be quite hell-ish .
    It should be the NWO-terrorists like billy gates and Clown Schwab who are makeing plans to hide in the bushes from an angry mob ,not us .

16. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Jaak For This Post:

Bill Ryan (2nd March 2023), Casey Claar (3rd March 2023), Denise/Dizi (3rd March 2023), ExomatrixTV (2nd March 2023), happyuk (2nd March 2023), Harmony (3rd March 2023), Jambo (3rd March 2023), Matthew (2nd March 2023), Merkaba360 (6th March 2023), Miller (3rd March 2023), Nasu (3rd March 2023), RatRodRob...RRR (3rd March 2023), Sérénité (2nd March 2023), Tigger (10th March 2023), Vicus (2nd March 2023)

17. Link to Post #29
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,077 times in 869 posts

I’m taking so many notes…lots i certainly hadn’t thought about and the input is much appreciated!

I have a rucksack in the boot of my car and one at home. I’ve also made smaller ones for the kids and the dog, just incase.

As many have said, my first plan of action is always to ‘bug in’ discreetly, as I’ve catered for the long haul in that instance.
    But on the off chance staying put may not be an option…there is only so much you can fit in a rucksack.
    So your suggestions are a massive assistance in what to prioritise, thank you all 👌🏼
    Last edited by Sérénité; 2nd March 2023 at 16:31.
    💫 🌎 If you can see through the illusion,
    you are part of the solution 🌍 💫

18. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Sérénité For This Post:

Bill Ryan (2nd March 2023), Casey Claar (3rd March 2023), Denise/Dizi (3rd March 2023), ExomatrixTV (2nd March 2023), Harmony (3rd March 2023), Jambo (3rd March 2023), Johnnycomelately (3rd March 2023), Miller (3rd March 2023), Nasu (3rd March 2023), Tigger (10th March 2023)

19. Link to Post #30
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,600 times in 5,379 posts

I have a bug out bag but over the years priorities have changed. My wife is too sick to bug out regardless of the conveyance. No way we can walk out.

So my bug out bag is morphing into items I can use from here, in place.

Candles, water filter, water storage, emergency food (enough for half a year), batteries, radio, flashlights, coins, lots of paper products, solar charger, amoxicillin, first aid kit, sewing kit, cans of sterno and butane, portable stove (very small, size of pack of smokes), tooth paste and brushes, pencils and paper, small steel grill, fishing line and hooks, rope, string, plastic bags, small umbrella, plastic sheet, 12 ft of flexible steel 1/8th" wide (good for so many uses, as electrician it is called a fish tape), 6" spikes, axe, saw, knife, staff, socks, underwear, shirt, pants, scissors, magnifying glass, pertroleum jelly, rags, cheese cloth, and sundry items.

Although we cannot move, I can. So if worse comes to worst, I can go outside to forage, or start a fire, or get water, or find help, or...But every time I would leave, I would risk not coming back. And that would leave my wife vulnerable.

In our house we call it the "apocanipse" (an inside joke). Every now and then I'll come home with an item that the wife will ask me, "Why did you buy that?". And I'll answer, "It's for the "apocanipse".

I surely hope we never come to that scenario.
    It is depressing and sad.
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

20. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Bill Ryan (2nd March 2023), Casey Claar (3rd March 2023), Denise/Dizi (3rd March 2023), ExomatrixTV (2nd March 2023), happyuk (2nd March 2023), Harmony (3rd March 2023), Jambo (3rd March 2023), Johnnycomelately (3rd March 2023), Miller (3rd March 2023), Nasu (3rd March 2023), RatRodRob...RRR (3rd March 2023), Sérénité (7th March 2023), Tigger (10th March 2023)

21. Link to Post #31
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,537 times in 32,788 posts

Quote Posted by Strat (here)
    Semi-off topic! But it's relevant, in terms of thinking processes. ('What if'?? Etc.)

This all lives happily in my old truck:
    • Water
    • Fire extinguisher
    • First aid kit
    • Toilet paper
    • Tool kit
    • Small shovel
    • Knife
    • Ropes of various kinds.
    I once got caught up among protest roadblocks for 24 hours, totally unable to get home. If I think there's any chance of that happening again I add in a warm winter jacket and a whole bunch of food.

22. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Casey Claar (3rd March 2023), Denise/Dizi (3rd March 2023), Ernie Nemeth (2nd March 2023), ExomatrixTV (2nd March 2023), Harmony (3rd March 2023), I am B (7th March 2023), Jambo (3rd March 2023), Johnnycomelately (3rd March 2023), Merkaba360 (6th March 2023), Miller (3rd March 2023), Nasu (3rd March 2023), Sérénité (7th March 2023), Tigger (10th March 2023), Yoda (2nd March 2023)

23. Link to Post #32
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,206 times in 437 posts

I usually carry in my back-pack all kind of technical tools since I am using some for my work.

If I have the possibility to get home, I would additionally pack my power bank, extra stored cash, extra clothes and that's perhaps it.

Here in Europe, the distances aren't that vast as in the US - so I wouldn't need to walk far to reach others.

Whatever comes up - I will deal with it. I can't possibly carry all items for any possible scenario with me but I carry in me the ability to face any situation and handle any needs.
    And if my body should perish because of the too hazardous challenge, I go off, pick up another body or whatever in far-far-away and have a new adventure.

Even it's my 404th post - this page can be found. (Techie insider joke)
    Last edited by Michi; 2nd March 2023 at 22:03.
    "The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches, but to reveal to him his own."
    -- Benjamin Disraeli

24. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Michi For This Post:

Bill Ryan (2nd March 2023), Casey Claar (3rd March 2023), Denise/Dizi (3rd March 2023), Docim369 (3rd March 2023), Ernie Nemeth (3rd March 2023), Harmony (3rd March 2023), Jambo (3rd March 2023), Johnnycomelately (3rd March 2023), Matthew (2nd March 2023), Merkaba360 (6th March 2023), Miller (3rd March 2023), Nasu (3rd March 2023), Sérénité (7th March 2023), Tigger (10th March 2023)

25. Link to Post #33
    Wales Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,223 times in 940 posts

Some great down-to-earth advice from Special Air Service survival instructor "Lofty" Wiseman, (at the time the youngest ever to pass selection at age 18) in this informative video where he opines on a variety of subjects
    • mobile phones - "Got no time for 'em!"
    • our basic needs - "food, fire, shelter, water, navigation & medical" or to prioritise - PLAN - "protection, location, acquisition, navigation"
    • Bear Grylls - "Tells people to do things that could kill them" in reference to his once mentioning the eating of snakes (risk of salmonella)
    • Desert survival - in a desert a blanket would keep you alive longer than two pints of water would due to protection from the sun
    • Is positive about the younger generation questioning things, having better imaginations etc when compared to his National Service days.
    • in addition to growing food, have a pond - a good potential source of water and food.
    • how people revert to type in these situations - civilized behaviour goes out of the window.

Last edited by happyuk; 2nd March 2023 at 22:19.

26. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to happyuk For This Post:

Bill Ryan (2nd March 2023), Casey Claar (3rd March 2023), Denise/Dizi (3rd March 2023), Harmony (3rd March 2023), Jambo (3rd March 2023), Johnnycomelately (3rd March 2023), Matthew (2nd March 2023), Merkaba360 (6th March 2023), Miller (3rd March 2023), Nasu (3rd March 2023), RatRodRob...RRR (3rd March 2023), Sérénité (7th March 2023), Tigger (10th March 2023)

27. Link to Post #34
    United States Avalon Member bobme's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,817 times in 234 posts

I forgot to mention a couple of more items. A wet stone to sharpen your knives with, and some sort of hand held cutting snips.

you can cut vines and drink the water they have in them.

Also, your sense of humor, and amusement.

28. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to bobme For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd March 2023), Casey Claar (3rd March 2023), Denise/Dizi (3rd March 2023), Ernie Nemeth (3rd March 2023), Harmony (3rd March 2023), Jambo (3rd March 2023), Johnnycomelately (3rd March 2023), Miller (3rd March 2023), Nasu (3rd March 2023), RatRodRob...RRR (3rd March 2023), Sérénité (7th March 2023), Tigger (10th March 2023)

29. Link to Post #35
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,024 times in 1,086 posts

Quote Posted by happyuk (here)
    Some great down-to-earth advice from Special Air Service survival instructor "Lofty" Wiseman, (at the time the youngest ever to pass selection at age 18) in this informative video where he opines on a variety of subjects
    • mobile phones - "Got no time for 'em!"
    • our basic needs - "food, fire, shelter, water, navigation & medical" or to prioritise - PLAN - "protection, location, acquisition, navigation"
    • Bear Grylls - "Tells people to do things that could kill them" in reference to his once mentioning the eating of snakes (risk of salmonella)
    • Desert survival - in a desert a blanket would keep you alive longer than two pints of water would due to protection from the sun
    • Is positive about the younger generation questioning things, having better imaginations etc when compared to his National Service days.
    • in addition to growing food, have a pond - a good potential source of water and food.
    • how people revert to type in these situations - civilized behaviour goes out of the window.

I trained under Lofty, a really great guy. He was always a big joker. His favourite thing was always “get your mate to do it” especially if it was dangerous. I still remember him teaching us about snow holes, he said, best way to stay warm in a snow hole is to masterbate, but don’t waste your energy, get your mate to do it! Lol. We all laughed at that one. He was great at short simple ways to remember things, like stalking or hunting, the six s’s, shape shadow shine silhouette sound smell, or the four ways to trap, tangle mangle dangle and strangle. Great guy. True legend…..x…… N

30. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Nasu For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd March 2023), Denise/Dizi (3rd March 2023), Ernie Nemeth (3rd March 2023), happyuk (3rd March 2023), Harmony (3rd March 2023), Jambo (3rd March 2023), Johnnycomelately (3rd March 2023), Miller (3rd March 2023), RatRodRob...RRR (3rd March 2023), Sérénité (7th March 2023), Tigger (10th March 2023)

31. Link to Post #36
    Australia Avalon Member RatRodRob...RRR's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,817 times in 241 posts

Quote Posted by Matthew (here)
    Quote Posted by Pam (here)
    I watched this documentary about very simple cheap and lightweight fairly durable living structures. ...
    Ah I saw a documentary about the homeless guy with the goats and cart. It inspired me. I think of his lifestyle a lot. That guy has a metal weedwhacker pressure sprayer container, that he fills with water then heats over a fire, then pumps the pressure to make a shower. I bought a small one with that purpose in mind.

YouTube 123HomeFree

All my flapping and prepping I think you have the right spirit. Have you got room for another? I'll bring cigars?
    Haha no worries Matt, the more the merrier..........................RRR
    The more people i met, the more i liked my dog.

32. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to RatRodRob...RRR For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd March 2023), Denise/Dizi (3rd March 2023), Ernie Nemeth (3rd March 2023), Harmony (3rd March 2023), Jambo (3rd March 2023), Johnnycomelately (3rd March 2023), Matthew (3rd March 2023), Miller (3rd March 2023), Sérénité (7th March 2023), Tigger (10th March 2023)

33. Link to Post #37
    Australia Avalon Member RatRodRob...RRR's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,817 times in 241 posts

Quote Posted by Isserley (here)

This is exactly my plan as well..
    With 9 months old baby I can put dipers in my bag and ask myself - is it possible that I chose this lifetime?
    A baby, man that would be tough goin, im not sure id like to bring up a baby in todays times, my boys are 29 and 27 so i dont need to cater for them, thank god............RRR
    The more people i met, the more i liked my dog.

34. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to RatRodRob...RRR For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd March 2023), Denise/Dizi (3rd March 2023), Ernie Nemeth (3rd March 2023), Harmony (3rd March 2023), Jambo (3rd March 2023), Johnnycomelately (3rd March 2023), Miller (3rd March 2023), Nasu (3rd March 2023), Sérénité (7th March 2023), Tigger (10th March 2023)

35. Link to Post #38
    United States Avalon Member Denise/Dizi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,481 times in 1,693 posts

Out of curiosity, I know a good medical kit affords their owner some damage repair, such as kits that can provide you to give stitches...And splints and such.. My question is this..

What would be the bet MEDICATIONS to carry with you,

antibiotics, pain relievers, anti viral, anti bacterial, etc... Illness and injuries mostly happen when people leave their comfort zone, from cuts and scrapes, to more serious infections such as viral or bacterial infections, both inn and outside the body.

While I have a healthy survival kit, I do not know which types of medications would be the best for all around uses?

36. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Denise/Dizi For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd March 2023), bluestflame (3rd March 2023), Ernie Nemeth (3rd March 2023), Harmony (3rd March 2023), Jambo (3rd March 2023), Johnnycomelately (3rd March 2023), Miller (3rd March 2023), Nasu (3rd March 2023), Sérénité (7th March 2023), Tigger (10th March 2023)

37. Link to Post #39
    Great Britain Avalon Member Jambo's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,483 times in 159 posts

Quote Posted by Denise/Dizi (here)
    Out of curiosity, I know a good medical kit affords their owner some damage repair, such as kits that can provide you to give stitches...And splints and such.. My question is this..

What would be the bet MEDICATIONS to carry with you,

antibiotics, pain relievers, anti viral, anti bacterial, etc... Illness and injuries mostly happen when people leave their comfort zone, from cuts and scrapes, to more serious infections such as viral or bacterial infections, both inn and outside the body.

While I have a healthy survival kit, I do not know which types of medications would be the best for all around uses?

I guess firstly, whatever medication you regularly have to take as an individual, but that's a given for most of us.

In the UK most anti-virals, anti-biotics, STRONG pain relief is prescribed by doctors only, so that means it's all about what you have from your own past prescriptions or from kindly family.
    So medication I keep in my B.O.B.

* STRONG ANTI-HISTAMINE - Fexofenadine (For allergic reactions)
    * STRONG PAIN KILLER - Tramadol (For Very Bad Muscle Pain)
    * ANTI-BIOTIC - Amoxicillin
    * And of course - IVERMECTIN

As with all medication I have all the dosage info. and cautions on a label attached to them all. Tramadol with other pain killers is complete no no. DO NOT take tramadol with any other type of pain killer

I also take & have with me in ALL my rucksacks a Bottle of 'Peppermint Essential Oil' for any & all stomach complaints!

I grew up with a therapist parent, and if ever I had stomach pain, diarrhea, nausea... I would be given 2-3 drops of peppermint essential oil in a small quantity of sweetened water and it would stop the problem dead.
    I have taken peppermint oil with me on holidays and camping trips where diarrhea can occur, and this treatment (for me at least) stops it within half an hour. Amazing stuff!
    As a caution to others if you do try peppermint essential oil for such things...NEVER exceed 2-3 drops. Too much peppermint oil can cause heart palpitations.
    Last edited by Jambo; 22nd September 2023 at 13:36.

38. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jambo For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd March 2023), Harmony (3rd March 2023), Jaak (3rd March 2023), Miller (3rd March 2023), Nasu (3rd March 2023), Sérénité (7th March 2023), Tigger (10th March 2023)

39. Link to Post #40
    Australia Avalon Member bluestflame's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,500 times in 1,808 posts

for the bug TO option https://growfully.com/medicinal-herbs-garden/

something handy to have in a bug OUT bag ( on wheels enables more items)

https://strictlymedicinalseeds.com/

40. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bluestflame For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd March 2023), Harmony (3rd March 2023), Jambo (17th April 2023), Miller (3rd March 2023), Nasu (3rd March 2023), Sérénité (7th March 2023), Tigger (10th March 2023)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 4 LastLast