+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 4

Thread: What’s in your emergency bug out bag?

1. Link to Post #61
    Great Britain Avalon Member Jambo's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,574 times in 165 posts

Default Re: What’s in your emergency bug out bag?

Quote Posted by thepainterdoug (here)
    I have casually scanned this post, lots of good info and thank you all.

but this is a depressing post, a depressing reality . somehow we all seem to know that life, our way of life is being taken from us , TAKEN FROM US, and we are powerless to do anything about it.
    We elected a gov to do the work for us. we pay huge taxes , we follow laws and rules, and yet somehow we have this situation where we have to worry about these issues.
    I live in a condo building 10 min outside NYC. Im not leaving.
    but lets say i do because things a re so dire. then what? I walk up into a forest? I squat under a bridge? i have my boogie bag and its inadequate, or a ruthless person not as kind as me says, hey thats mine now at gunpoint?
    Fore the most part, all we really know about this scenario is from movies. The Road ,comes to my mind. and also the recent The Last of Us on HBO.

when to leave my home? what if I go, false alarm and I return and others have moved on in? everything is in play, everything up for grabs, the rule of law gone. Regardless, who wants this life?

I do have a boogie bag. What its missing is about 50 boxes of ambien

I honestly...100% agree with everything you've said.
    You're an American, whilst I'm from the UK... but the reality is the same.
    Politicians do not serve the people any more.
    In the United Kingdom the expression for most of those that enter politics is... "career politician"!.
    Someone who studied law & politics at University, and then moved straight on to be an MP's aide.
    They are simply not there to represent the people of the Country any more, but their own career progression.

I totally understand the sentiment.
    No-one is there to back up the tax paying, bog standard members of society any more.
    We all have to fend for ourselves.

Regardless of that, I am still scared of the sudden changes that may come at any time.

I prefer to believe that I am safer at home.... where all my possessions & devices are, to protect and defend myself.
    Yet... I err on the side of caution.
    If everything in society goes to hell, then I would totally prefer to be at home, and blockade everything.

Still, on the slightest chance of a bad situation, I would like to have a backpack/rucksack with a few items to help me on my way.
    So I created one for myself.

Annoyingly... me being me... most of my family lives 600 yards from me so I automatically worry about them too.
    I've bought and made them all a B.O.B., simply because I'd be ashamed if i said, "well i've got a bag... see you later!".

I've bought the items for 8 rucksacks for my family. Admittedly one third of what's in my rucksack... but the basics at least for their sakes.

- A highlander 'Forces' Rucksack.
    - A simple $10 [£9] knife (Hultsfor)... Extremely good quality. On par with a basic Mora knife.
    - A folding saw (Bahco laplander)... I have a Silky saw in my B.O.G.
    - A water filter (Sawyer, with extra water bags).
    - Cheap Millbank bags for filtering water in the first pass.
    - Terra Nova Bivvy Bags (the basic version, to cover a sleeping bag, not the fancy tent kind).
    - Helikon-tex Poncho (as a raincoat and a tarp shelter)
    - SealSkinz socks (so no matter what shoes they bring with them, their feet will be dry)
    - 30m of Paracord (Real 550lb, 7 strand)
    - Thermal silver 'Space Blanket' (£2 / $3... dirt cheap).
    - Simple folding stove, with paraffin blocks. A simple BIC gas lighter, and a ferro-rod.
    - Titanium cooking pots each.
    - Simple compass (liquid filled, from Silva). Not sure they could actually use it properly.
    - Cheap Ski mask/ thin balaclava (to keep the face warm, outside of the basic sleeping bags I've bought them).
    - Kendall Mint cake (A block of pure icing sugar flavoured with mint).
    - A small roll of gaffa tape.

Reality is my family have way, WAYYYY more money than me, but they won't spend a single penny on preparation for future problems.
    Even though most of them bombard me with horrendous links which i ignore, from GLP (God Like Productions) ... Charlie Ward ... & Simon Parkes But sadly all their money goes on takeaways, etc.
    Perhaps they are the sensible ones though... living in the now... and not the future of 'What could maybe happen!'.

Yep...I'm an alternative media snob. I follow the best out there...Project Avalon.
    I guess I'll make some 'Bug Out Bags' (B.O.B.) for them instead... due to fear for their future.
    Perhaps not right, but family is family.

Ultimately I'm not overly worried about what may come, but I know I'd have regrets if I didn't take precautions.
    Last edited by Jambo; 16th February 2024 at 11:18. Reason: I wrote BOG by mistake (its was B.O.B.)

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jambo For This Post:

atman (14th May 2023), Bill Ryan (13th May 2023), gnostic9 (16th February 2024), Mark (Star Mariner) (16th May 2023), Pam (17th February 2024), Strat (15th May 2023), thepainterdoug (14th May 2023)

3. Link to Post #62
    United States Avalon Member thepainterdoug's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,268 times in 3,170 posts

Jambo. thanks. There is a great classic movie," the Taking of Pelham 123" you may know, ?

a subway train is taken hostage for ransom money
    thru the entire chaos of the movie, a drunk is passed out on the train seat as the train flys down the track tipping this way and that until it screeches to a halt at the end

the drunk slides forward and then wakes up looks around as if nothing at all happened.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to thepainterdoug For This Post:

atman (14th May 2023), Bill Ryan (14th May 2023), gnostic9 (16th February 2024), Harmony (17th February 2024), Jambo (16th May 2023), Pam (17th February 2024)

5. Link to Post #63
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by thepainterdoug (here)
    Jambo. thanks. There is a great classic movie," the Taking of Pelham 123" you may know, ?

a subway train is taken hostage for ransom money
    thru the entire chaos of the movie, a drunk is passed out on the train seat as the train flys down the track tipping this way and that until it screeches to a halt at the end

the drunk slides forward and then wakes up looks around as if nothing at all happened.
    I have indeed seen the film.

All I can say is I hope that whatever may come for our future, that I can be that man (perhaps, just like you too) .
    Thank you.
    Last edited by Jambo; 16th May 2023 at 11:38.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jambo For This Post:

Bill Ryan (16th May 2023), gnostic9 (16th February 2024), Harmony (17th February 2024), Miller (17th May 2023), Pam (17th February 2024), thepainterdoug (16th May 2023)

7. Link to Post #64
    England Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,734 times in 1,428 posts

A Plan to go with our bug out bags would be handy so here's an article as a reminder to research any likely local shelters / buildings. As you'll see from the link, they're in very short supply in the UK:

The Guardian (November 2022)
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...%20cold%20war.

I wrote to my MP (Labour) back in February 2022 when "nuclear" was first mentioned, asking what arrangements there were for Lambeth residents in the event of nuclear escalation. This was her response:
    "It is not within my power or that of Lambeth Council to issue an emergency evacuation procedure for the area, because this would have to be based on intelligence assessments that are not shared. I am sure that our intelligence services are working to update these plans given the escalation in rhetoric, but they do have to be cautious about releasing details prematurely and causing undue panic.
    Please be assured however, that any such plans would not simply protect public representatives at the expense of the general population".
    Every man for himself then
    Last edited by Miller; 17th May 2023 at 20:54. Reason: typo

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Miller For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th May 2023), gnostic9 (16th February 2024), Harmony (17th February 2024), Jambo (18th May 2023), Pam (17th February 2024)

9. Link to Post #65
    Language
    English
    Thanks

*Bump* *Bump*

Sorry, I'm bumping this thread as I am wondering if any on here are preparing (in a camping bag sense / B.O.B.), as a precaution for what 2024 may bring.
    Hopefully 2024 will bring us nothing (just like multiple years previous), yet I still like to have a simple shelter in a backpack and a water filter... with the water carriers and pots and pans to cook with.
    I'm just playing safe.

I'm interested to know what othe PA members are doing, and if you have any suggestions for the rest of us.
    Last edited by Jambo; 16th February 2024 at 11:37.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jambo For This Post:

Bill Ryan (16th February 2024), gnostic9 (16th February 2024), Harmony (17th February 2024), Vicus (16th February 2024), Yoda (16th February 2024)

11. Link to Post #66
    Language
    Spanish
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,907 times in 1,724 posts

Brutal mode

Apart from fancy "go into the wild" plus/minus "peaceful " modes, prepare you for the "other"one too...

_ Reduce your weight NOW,practice regular sport (swimming, running,bike,weights,boxing,etc) if you aren't in shape ,that reduce your chances to survive more as 50 %...

_be frugal and learn to eat "everything" sooner or later your "fancy" food will run out...

_ your weapons will run out of ammo too, learn how defense yourself from knives attacks and...how and when "attack "...

Remember, you will need in worst case to walk or run "X" km to next "secure"point trough city/wildness/roads/mountains /desert,etc

What’s in my emergency bug out bag?

_all documents in plastic bags
    _Medical aid kit
    _ Swiss knives
    _water
    _toilet paper
    _sleep bag
    _extra socks,t shirts,etc

_salami,cheese,dry bred ,vitamins,chocolate bars,all sort of bars
    _military/jag knives,axe,knife sharpener,shovel,fishing stuff
    _silver coins
    _Brandy. against cold... and /or for barter/ disinfectant for cuts.etc
    -some plastic cape for rain protection
    _ duct tape
    _fire starter

You get my point, when "its" come dawn, no time or peace for fancy "camping"...

All this post is for 1man/woman survival army, when more people,young.elderly,kids,teenagers,etc everybody must take care from all sections ... from that point forward they are now in a survival army modus.

The "pack" bring more protection than as loner,as such better early than too late to deploy "killer" instinct... the pack is whiting you...
    Last edited by Vicus; 17th February 2024 at 21:17.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Vicus For This Post:

Bill Ryan (16th February 2024), gnostic9 (16th February 2024), Harmony (17th February 2024), Jambo (16th February 2024), Johnnycomelately (17th February 2024)

13. Link to Post #67
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Vicus (here)
    Brutal mode

Apart from fancy "go into the wild" plus/minus "peaceful " modes, prepare you for the "other"one too...

_ Reduce your weight NOW,practice regular sport (swimming, running,bike,weigh,box,etc) if you aren't in shape ,that reduce your chances to survive more as 50 %...

_be frugal and learn to eat "everything" sooner or later your "fancy" food will run out...

_ your weapons will run out of ammo too, learn how defense yourself from knives attacks and...how and when "attack "...

Remember, you will need in worst case to walk or run "X" km to next "secure"point trough city/wildness/roads/mountains /desert,etc

...when "its" come dawn, no time or peace for fancy "camping"...

All this post is for 1man/woman survival army, when more people,young.elderly,kids,teenagers,etc everybody must take care from all sections ... from that point forward they are now in a survival army modus.

The "pack" bring more protection than as loner,as such better early than too late to deploy "killer" instinct... the pack is whiting you...

All good advise and so very true. Get yourself healthy and fit.
    When it comes down to it... the best equipment you'll have is your 'body & knowledge'.
    Thanks for that Vicus

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jambo For This Post:

gnostic9 (16th February 2024), Harmony (17th February 2024), Johnnycomelately (18th February 2024), Miller (14th April 2024), Vicus (17th February 2024)

15. Link to Post #68
    Canada Avalon Member Johnnycomelately's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,744 times in 997 posts

Quote Posted by Vicus (here)
    Brutal mode

What’s in my emergency bug out bag?

_toilet paper
    Glad to unbulk your quick pack, in theory. TP is not necessary. Use the water method, like 2/3 of humanity (stat is a guess).

I think this question is not trivial. Our ingrained notions of our identity, usually held hard to help us feel better about ourselves, can be based in others’ profit motives or other motives. Think Christmas.

If anyone has the idea to use leaves, which I have done, beware the poison ones. My mom had a pained story about, turned out, using Poison Oak.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Johnnycomelately For This Post:

Jambo (17th February 2024), Miller (14th April 2024), Vicus (17th February 2024)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 4