+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why Do We Have Different Realities?

1. Link to Post #1
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,020 times in 2,189 posts

Default Why Do We Have Different Realities?

I have been thinking about contributing to a few threads but after the content got rolling it seemed to me that my views (my realities) substantially varied from many of the contributors. That's not a bad thing and as a matter of fact, those differences are precisely what gives Avalon value. Those differences are exactly why visitors and members return to Avalon every day. Those differing views are what make us human. Sadly we are living in a time when opposing views are not celebrated. In fact, in today's world, those differences are considered fanatical and even hateful by some. If you believe your reality is right it denotes inflexible and limited thinking.  Taking a position of being right assumes superiority and judges the other person. Judging situations and events is in our DNA, it is what we do and it is not going to stop but we seemed to have arrived at a crossroads of inflexibility. I posted this image on the meme thread the other day but it seems appropriate here.

This thread is not only about how we treat people with different views but it is also about why we have the ability to observe the same set of circumstances and come away with a completely different reality. The differences in those realities have become so great that it causes many of us to wonder if humanity can survive.

Here are a few of the reasons why someone may have a completely different reality from yours or even a distorted sense of reality.
    • Some people belong to a group or groups that collectively hold strong opinions and beliefs. These groups could be oriented by political views, age, sexual orientation or racial adaptation, or any other variable. Therefore they will often change their "perception" of reality to fit into the collective mindset. Losing membership in the group is considered an existential crisis and will most likely result in someone losing their personal identity.
    • The mainstream media shapes people's reality every day. The media is supposed to report facts so that we can formulate our own opinions and beliefs but instead they report opinions as facts. Not only removing critical thinking from the equation but removing thinking altogether.
    • Many people have been indoctrinated. While schools teach a core curriculum they have over the years started to introduce ideological content. Nowhere is this more apparent than in colleges and universities but we have started to see it in kindergartens through high schools or secondary schools. After years of being told what and how to think it is extremely difficult to break out of the mold and even if you do break out there is an army of your peers standing by to force you back in line.
    • Religion is considered a form of indoctrination. It causes people to observe events and come away with a completely different reality than others.
    • Propaganda shapes our realities. It is used to shape people's opinions, convincing them to support a particular cause or encouraging them to behave and think in a certain way.
    • We have often heard that perception is reality. A good example is the tone of voice. The same words could be interpreted by one person as anger, another as a warning, and yet another as panic. Different brains hear different things.
    • Time also distorts reality. Relativity says that when two observers are in different frames of reference, each observer considers the other one's perception of time to be distorted, this happens every day.
    • Some people have the ability to connect the dots. In other words, they are pulling together three or four events to determine their reality while others only look at a singular event to determine their reality.
    It really does not matter how you arrive at your reality. The truth is nothing that is observed is unaffected by the observer. That statement, from science, holds an enormous and powerful insight. It means that everyone sees a different truth because everyone is creating what they see.

All like-minded and opposing thoughts are welcomed.
    Last edited by rgray222; 5th April 2023 at 19:07.

2. The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to rgray222 For This Post:

Ashiris (7th April 2023), avid (5th April 2023), Bill Ryan (5th April 2023), East Sun (5th April 2023), Ernie Nemeth (5th April 2023), Ewan (6th April 2023), Franny (7th April 2023), gini (7th April 2023), Harmony (6th April 2023), Heart to heart (5th April 2023), Jad (5th April 2023), jimbobule (6th April 2023), Johan (Keyholder) (5th April 2023), Johnnycomelately (7th April 2023), Loorus (12th April 2023), Mark (Star Mariner) (6th April 2023), Michi (5th April 2023), Miller (5th April 2023), NancyV (5th April 2023), Nasu (6th April 2023), Ravenlocke (5th April 2023), T Smith (5th April 2023), thepainterdoug (5th April 2023)

3. Link to Post #2
    UK Avalon Member Heart to heart's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,251 times in 228 posts

Default Re: Why Do We Have Different Realities?

Dear rgray222

We create our own reality and in doing so create the surroundings we find ourselves in.

That sounds simplistic and it is.

Our thoughts are the builder of our reality.

Synchronicity is a nudge from our guidance, the universe, call it what you will, to help us make the right choices in the lives we have chosen for this incarnation.

If we choose to ignore that nudge and change our thinking life can keep dealing a difficult hand of cards for you to play.

Mind is always the builder here in the third dimension.

So build wisely and with love and enjoy the consequences.

4. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Heart to heart For This Post:

avid (5th April 2023), Bill Ryan (5th April 2023), Delight (5th April 2023), Ernie Nemeth (5th April 2023), Ewan (6th April 2023), gini (7th April 2023), Harmony (6th April 2023), Ioneo (5th April 2023), Johan (Keyholder) (5th April 2023), Johnnycomelately (7th April 2023), Mark (Star Mariner) (6th April 2023), Miller (5th April 2023), NancyV (5th April 2023), Nasu (6th April 2023), Ravenlocke (5th April 2023), rgray222 (5th April 2023), thepainterdoug (5th April 2023)

5. Link to Post #3
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Heart to heart (here)
    Dear rgray222

We create our own reality and in doing so create the surroundings we find ourselves in.

That sounds simplistic and it is.

Our thoughts are the builder of our reality.

Synchronicity is a nudge from our guidance, the universe, call it what you will, to help us make the right choices in the lives we have chosen for this incarnation.

If we choose to ignore that nudge and change our thinking life can keep dealing a difficult hand of cards for you to play.

Mind is always the builder here in the third dimension.

So build wisely and with love and enjoy the consequences.
    I could not agree more that's why I added,.... everyone sees a different truth because everyone is creating what they see. I also believe that we are living out the broad strokes of the life we have chosen before we arrived but it's clear that there are those (right or wrong) that intentionally change or bend their reality to fit into their perception of good and evil in this lifetime.

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to rgray222 For This Post:

avid (5th April 2023), Bill Ryan (5th April 2023), Ewan (6th April 2023), Harmony (6th April 2023), Johan (Keyholder) (5th April 2023), Johnnycomelately (7th April 2023), Miller (5th April 2023), Nasu (6th April 2023), thepainterdoug (5th April 2023)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,520 times in 32,788 posts

The corollary may be: Why do we have different personalities?

8. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

avid (5th April 2023), Ewan (6th April 2023), gini (7th April 2023), Harmony (6th April 2023), Johnnycomelately (7th April 2023), Miller (5th April 2023), NancyV (5th April 2023), Nasu (6th April 2023), rgray222 (5th April 2023), thepainterdoug (5th April 2023), Yoda (5th April 2023)

9. Link to Post #5
    England Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,316 times in 269 posts

I agree that this is one of the most important questions - and that pretty much all of the readily available answers are defective. Certainly it was an understanding I had to discover and adapt for myself, to satisfy myself - and the process continues.

Because behind all the differences and relativisms, we need to know that there is a reality, how that came about and how we, personally, can know anything about it (I don't mean know precisely and wholly - but know anything valid at all).

Intuitively (and we can go no deeper) I start from the conviction that I can know reality - enough for my needs and validly enough for my needs; and also that there is always more (a limitless amount more) still to know.

How we encapsulate this for ourselves (as concise, state-able metaphysical assumptions) is another task; and adds another layer of imprecision and incompleteness.

But these are not, I am sure, hopeless tasks - we can make progress, and we can learn/ know enough to discern (and - yes! - judge - judgment is vital - as well as unavoidable) everything we absolutely need to do in our lives.

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bruce G Charlton For This Post:

Bill Ryan (5th April 2023), Ewan (6th April 2023), gini (7th April 2023), Harmony (6th April 2023), Johnnycomelately (7th April 2023), Miller (5th April 2023), NancyV (5th April 2023), Nasu (6th April 2023), rgray222 (5th April 2023), thepainterdoug (5th April 2023)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,520 times in 32,788 posts

A thought experiment, for the sake of developing the discussion.

How would you/we feel if every human in the world had identical, cloned views, about absolutely everything one might ever consider?

(btw: humans do all have cloned, identical, perfectly conditioned views about a very few things, but that's almost impossible to notice or identify simply because we're all inside the goldfish bowl and can't see the water. )
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 5th April 2023 at 22:39.

12. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Ashiris (7th April 2023), Ewan (6th April 2023), gini (7th April 2023), Harmony (6th April 2023), Johnnycomelately (7th April 2023), Michi (6th April 2023), Miller (5th April 2023), NancyV (7th April 2023), Nasu (6th April 2023), rgray222 (7th April 2023), thepainterdoug (5th April 2023), Yoda (5th April 2023)

13. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member thepainterdoug's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,162 times in 3,159 posts

I have heard it said many times we create our own reality. These are easy words to say and speculate on . And I believe them on a fundamental level. But try creating your reality. Try altering what and who you are from the person you are today to another. If it is doable, it is like turning the wheel on an oil tanker. Your action today will be bringing the ship around some distance down the river. It will take time and a consistent steady hand. just my thoughts on it

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to thepainterdoug For This Post:

Bill Ryan (7th April 2023), Ewan (6th April 2023), gini (7th April 2023), Harmony (6th April 2023), Johnnycomelately (7th April 2023), Nasu (6th April 2023), rgray222 (5th April 2023), Satori (6th April 2023)

15. Link to Post #8
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,204 times in 437 posts

I see it way too simplistic.

It depends from where to view it (viewpoint).
    Name:  true-false.jpeg
Views: 153
Size:  9.8 KBName:  perspective.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  22.7 KB
    "The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches, but to reveal to him his own."
    -- Benjamin Disraeli

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Michi For This Post:

Bill Ryan (7th April 2023), Ernie Nemeth (6th April 2023), gini (7th April 2023), Harmony (7th April 2023), JohanB (6th April 2023), Johnnycomelately (7th April 2023), Nasu (6th April 2023), rgray222 (7th April 2023), thepainterdoug (7th April 2023)

17. Link to Post #9
    Canada Unsubscribed
    Thanks

It absolutely would be the end of human evolution.

18. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,161 times in 897 posts

I find it facsinating that it is somehow obvious to see the 'blind spots' (and flaws in behaviour)from the ones whom we know well ,like siblings ,collegues & friends ,but we cant see our own.

Being aware that we all have these blind spots & dark sides(shadows)we need the others to reveal this blindnes to us(and even then it can be still hard to see /be aware of certain flaws of ourselves !)

Understanding this should make it easier to deal with these differences in perspective and appreciate the value of variety of opinions .
    Project Avalon is the perfect place for interacting with that awareness and i am grateful we do!

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gini For This Post:

Bill Ryan (7th April 2023), Harmony (7th April 2023), Johnnycomelately (7th April 2023), rgray222 (7th April 2023)

20. Link to Post #11
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by gini (here)
    I find it facsinating that it is somehow obvious to see the 'blind spots' (and flaws in behaviour)from the ones whom we know well ,like siblings ,collegues & friends ,but we cant see our own.

Being aware that we all have these blind spots & dark sides(shadows)we need the others to reveal this blindnes to us(and even then it can be still hard to see /be aware of certain flaws of ourselves !)

Understanding this should make it easier to deal with these differences in perspective and appreciate the value of variety of opinions .
    Project Avalon is the perfect place for interacting with that awareness and i am grateful we do!
    You are absolutely spot on. In a roundabout way, this is one of the issues that I hoped would surface when I posted the thread. We (myself included) have a tendency to pass judgment on others without really delving into our own beliefs. Things are never black and white like we want to believe, especially for those who are beginning to view the world as good vs evil. If we don't stop and become aware of our own blind spots then we are creating more differences and the divide keeps growing. A never-ending vicious cycle.

Without dialogue and without discussion hatred will flourish. That's why, as hard as it may be, we need to embrace others with opposing viewpoints.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rgray222 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (7th April 2023), gini (7th April 2023), Harmony (7th April 2023), Loorus (12th April 2023)

22. Link to Post #12
    Netherlands Avalon Member Ashiris's Avatar
    Language
    Dutch
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,211 times in 248 posts

We form our reality according to our beliefs about it.
    People understand us from their level of perception, it is our responsibility to know
    exactly who WE are and not get lost in what they are projecting onto us.

In this world of fake news, increasing artificial intelligence and brainwashing programming, it's important to tune in ourself on our higher consciousness, so that
    this spiritual connection don't let us get lost in an inorganic mess.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	reality.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	50697  

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ashiris For This Post:

gini (7th April 2023), Loorus (12th April 2023), rgray222 (7th April 2023)

+ Reply to Thread