+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to get yourself a cheap wide band receiver radio for less than $50 AUD, but there is a catch!

1. Link to Post #1
    Vanuatu On Sabbatical
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,189 times in 354 posts

Lightbulb How to get yourself a cheap wide band receiver radio for less than $50 AUD, but there is a catch!

Hi Guys,

Would you like to receive shortwave radio from both AM and SSB stations?

Would you like to receive SSTV from the space station?

Would you like to receive weather images from satellites?

Would you like to receive aircraft transporter data from overhead planes?

All you need is a USB SDR dongle with the appropriate antenna that is connected to a computer that is running free software.

So what is SDR?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software-defined_radio

Back in the day. Someone accidentally discovered that the DVB-T USB dongle (device for receiving TV signals and feeding it to the computer via USB) can also receive a wide range of frequencies that was the day when SDR exploded onto the scene.

The cheap SDR technology has moved on since then and now you can get cheap SDR receivers from Aliexpress. Here is what I purchased recently.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...1a541802C59wOZ

Click image for larger version

Name:	sdr.png
Views:	34
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	50724

So what's the catch? The SDR receiver requires an antenna and a computer with the appropriate software.

If you're interested in this thread please let me know below.

Cheers Szymon

2. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Szymon For This Post:

angelfire (18th April 2023), Bill Ryan (17th April 2023), Docim369 (17th April 2023), ExomatrixTV (17th April 2023), Franny (24th December 2023), Harmony (17th April 2023), Ioneo (17th April 2023), Jambo (17th April 2023), Johan (Keyholder) (17th April 2023), Johnnycomelately (18th April 2023), Matthew (17th April 2023), Meeresgalen (18th April 2023), Mercedes (17th April 2023), Nasu (17th April 2023), Pam (17th April 2023), pueblo (17th April 2023), ronny (17th April 2023), snow (17th May 2023), Strat (17th April 2023), Sunny-side-up (17th April 2023)

3. Link to Post #2
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 127,263 times in 21,088 posts

Lightbulb Re: How to get yourself a cheap wide band receiver radio for less than $50 AUD, but there is a catch!

• CB - Citizens Band Radio On A SDR USB Dongle - How to set up with GQRX in Linux Mint #TECK #LINUX

Doing NeatO Things in #Linux #CBRadio #SDR #GQRX
    In this video I use a Software Defined Radio to tune the CB radio bands and listen to side band radio!
    My MLA 30 antenna is now in a much better spot for receiving AM, CB, HF and Short Wave Radio

Other videos on this topic

Shortwave SDR - Software Defined Radio - HF Upconverter - MLA 30 - GQRX in Linux Mint
    youtube.com/watch?v=JCI9yKdwVDM
    ---
    USB Software-defined radio SDR GQRX in Linux Mint
    youtube.com/watch?v=Xsz9nQCX0RA
    ---
    How to use a USB to Computer Fm Radio - GQRX - SDR Touch
    youtube.com/watch?v=e_vrP520gO0
    ---
    UHF VHF Two Way Radio Scanner - Introduction To Scanners
    youtube.com/watch?v=XnJJwpOpLFI

--o-O-o--
    • You Need A Cheap USB SDR Radio Dongle ~$25-125:

Be very careful NOT to put the magnet too close to the USB device or any other USB device!

• Listen To Almost All Radio Frequencies for $20 | USB RTL SDR Dongle:

• USB SDR For Beginners - Listening To GMRS Or Ham On SDR & Basic Overview Of SDR Using CubicSDR Software:

cheers,
    John 🦜🦋🌳
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 17th April 2023 at 17:55.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

angelfire (18th April 2023), Franny (24th December 2023), Harmony (18th April 2023), Johnnycomelately (18th April 2023), Matthew (17th April 2023), Mercedes (17th April 2023), Pam (17th April 2023), Szymon (17th April 2023)

5. Link to Post #3
    Language
    Thanks

Lightbulb Re: How to get yourself a cheap wide band receiver radio for less than $50 AUD, but there is a catch!

• "The Coolest Radio You've Probably Never Heard Of"

Software Defined Radio (or SDR) is one of those things that I never knew existed as I was getting into the radio hobby. After learning about it, it's one of the coolest radios in my humble communications arsenal.

In this video I want to introduce you to SDR, and share just the slightest glimpse of what it has to offer in the hope that it inspires others to get into it and learn more.

SDR Dongle (Affiliated links. The cost is the same to you but if you use this link I may earn a small commission on the purchase from Amazon to help support this channel):

Amazon Link for RTL SDR V3: amzn.to/3px2eJg
    Amazon Link for Dipole Antenna Kit: amzn.to/3wjEfRO
    Amazon Link for Nooelec NESDR Smart v4 Bundle: amzn.to/3A1prYj
    • Software Defined Radio (SDR) on Android Device:

Thanks to all the excellent questions, comments and help shared in the comments of my inaugural SDR video, I learned that I could use the SDR on my Android phone. In this video, I share that experience with you in case you're interested in doing the same.
    • 0:00 - Intro
    • 1:35 - Parts List
    • 2:20 - Driver & App Install
    • 2:58 - Hardware Setup & Demo
    • 5:58 - Final Thoughts & Closing
    --o-O-o--
    • Installing RTL-SDR & SDR Sharp on Win10 Made Easy - TheSmokinApe:

--o-O-o--
    If you use SmartPhone or Laptop with USB RTL-SDR Device + proper Antenna, you can sweep ANY place to look for if a (hotel) room or place being "bugged" or not ... also to see how strong 4G LTE & (partial) 5G frequencies are!

cheers,
    John 🦜🦋🌳
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 17th April 2023 at 17:55.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Franny (24th December 2023), halcyon026 (17th April 2023), Harmony (18th April 2023), Johnnycomelately (18th April 2023), Matthew (17th April 2023), Pam (17th April 2023), Szymon (17th April 2023)

7. Link to Post #4
    Vanuatu On Sabbatical
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,189 times in 354 posts

Default Re: How to get yourself a cheap wide band receiver radio for less than $50 AUD, but there is a catch!

Excellent Post by John.

Here is how you can decode the SSTV (Slow Scan TV) from the space station, using any 2m 144mhz receiver with a phone app.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Szymon For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (18th April 2023), Harmony (18th April 2023), Johnnycomelately (18th April 2023), Matthew (17th April 2023), snow (17th May 2023)

9. Link to Post #5
    Language
    Thanks

Exclamation Re: How to get yourself a cheap wide band receiver radio for less than $50 AUD, but there is a catch!

• 10 Common Mistakes Made With Software Defined Radio:

If you're a new comer to the SDR or SWL hobby then here's 10 things which will help get you started and choose the right equipment to use, depending on your requirements. Zadig Driver:zadig.akeo.ie

00:50 What software
    03:20 Device driver
    04:05 Coax type & losses
    05:21 Signal bandwidth
    06:27 Time of day
    08:00 Modulation type
    09:08 High gain setting
    09:52 Low gain setting
    10:29 Cheap & cloned SDR's
    11:44 Antennas

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Johnnycomelately (18th April 2023)

11. Link to Post #6
    Language
    Thanks

Default Re: How to get yourself a cheap wide band receiver radio for less than $50 AUD, but there is a catch!

• BSIDES CPT Hacking satellites with Software Defined Radio (SDR) - Gerard de Jong:

Title: Hacking satellites with Software Defined Radio (SDR) Abstract: In this no holds barred down introduction to Software Defined Radio (SDR) you’ll learn how you can write software to hack remote control security gates, track ships at sea, code your own aircraft radar, and ultimately how to download data directly from various satellites in low earth orbit with nothing more than a cheap USB dongle and a makeshift antenna. Speaker: Gerard de Jong Twitter: @GDdeJong Speaker Bio: Software developer and consultant with over a decade’s experience building information systems. Holds a Master’s Degree in IT from the University of Pretoria and is a member of Mensa. Speaker at software development conferences such DevConf, Java Africa, LinuxConf[ZA] etc.

12. Link to Post #7
    Language
    Thanks

• RTL SDR V4 - Now with Built-In HF Upconverter + More Features:

If anyone who uses Linux is wondering, the command lines for Debian on the RTL SDR website work perfectly with Mint 21.2 and SDR++.

• @-Tris- quote:
    "Someone discovered the world of SDR 😁 You will have a lot of fun with it😉
    Not a pro myself, but some tips: If you can, get your antennas outside. That's always the best option. Build or buy a 2m ground plane antenna. You can transmit on it, and they are great for listening to FM Broadcast, aircraft voice, ISS, NOAA weather satellites, 2m ham band, maybe there is something on 4m in your region. And a 1/4 wave 2m antenna is also a 3/4 wave 70cm antenna, so there is even more to receive with this one antenna. To improve reception, filters and maybe an amplifier can help. I still haven't tried decoding weather satellites myself. I like the idea of having a camera in space and getting the pictures directly from it.

For shortwave, get a magnetic loop antenna like the MLA 30+ or YouLoop for example. Fldigi might be an interesting program for you to decode some stuff. But there might also be more modern software, not sure, it works for me.

And just as I'm finished writing, the ISS is nearby. Listening to the repeater right now 🙂 "
    unquote
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 23rd December 2023 at 23:29.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Ernie Nemeth (23rd December 2023)

+ Reply to Thread