+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Construction of a Simplified Wood Gas Generator for Fueling Internal Combustion Engines in a Petroleum Emergency

1. Link to Post #1
    Vanuatu On Sabbatical
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 times in 354 posts

Lightbulb Construction of a Simplified Wood Gas Generator for Fueling Internal Combustion Engines in a Petroleum Emergency

Hi Guys,

Energy is a very important factor when living off the grid. Here is a method how to utilise your existing combustion engines when there is no fuel. This is what was used during the war.

I'm definitely going to build one of these when time permits.

https://www.driveonwood.com/static/m...fema_plans.pdf

https://soilandhealth.org/wp-content...ma.woodgas.pdf

There are a lot of great wood gas projects on YT.

Enjoy,

Szymon
    Last edited by Szymon; 20th April 2023 at 01:32.

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Szymon For This Post:

Bill Ryan (20th April 2023), Ernie Nemeth (7th May 2023), Ewan (20th April 2023), gini (2nd May 2023), Harmony (20th April 2023), Ioneo (20th April 2023), Jambo (9th May 2023), John Hilton (28th October 2023), Johnnycomelately (8th May 2023), Nasu (21st April 2023), palehorse (8th May 2023), rgray222 (20th April 2023), Strat (2nd May 2023), Sue (Ayt) (20th April 2023), Sunny (20th April 2023), Tigger (2nd May 2023), Vangelo (2nd May 2023)

3. Link to Post #2
    Vanuatu On Sabbatical
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Default Re: Construction of a Simplified Wood Gas Generator for Fueling Internal Combustion Engines in a Petroleum Emergency

Here is a guy that uses a similar technique to extract diesel from plastic.

He lives on an island.

Cheers,
    Szymon

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Szymon For This Post:

Bill Ryan (2nd May 2023), Harmony (2nd May 2023), Jambo (9th May 2023), John Hilton (28th October 2023), Johnnycomelately (8th May 2023), Strat (2nd May 2023), Sunny (3rd May 2023), Tigger (2nd May 2023), Vangelo (2nd May 2023)

5. Link to Post #3
    Vanuatu On Sabbatical
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Default Re: Construction of a Simplified Wood Gas Generator for Fueling Internal Combustion Engines in a Petroleum Emergency

Hi Friends,

Another interesting idea for energy is to make your own BioGas. Looks simple to make. Lots of different designs on Youtube.

Cheers,
    Szymon

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Szymon For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th May 2023), Harmony (8th May 2023), John Hilton (28th October 2023), Johnnycomelately (8th May 2023), Sunny (8th May 2023), Vangelo (9th May 2023)

7. Link to Post #4
    Canada Avalon Member Johnnycomelately's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,577 times in 981 posts

Quote Posted by Szymon (here)
    Hi Friends,

Another interesting idea for energy is to make your own BioGas. Looks simple to make. Lots of different designs on Youtube.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JP4ob9RVklo

Cheers,
    Szymon
    Interesting idea. I found this explainer of how they work, and how temperature matters. Africa has the higher ambient temps, that allow for the fastest production of gas without having to use some other heat source.

This chap lays out the time ranges for full digestion, versus working temperature.

The unit he designed seems to be a continuous cycle like the African design, keep on adding stock and harvesting gas and t’other. He employs a mechanical mixer (and a heater), which the long-bag ones don’t seem to need, as they rely on end-to-end flow which I guess does similar.

He speaks about Hydrogen Sulfide being one of the normal gases produced, along with Methane and Hydrogen, and says he scrubs it after extraction. I learned about H2S in the oilfield, nasty stuff in higher concentrations, and iirc pretty corrosive.

About the first vid, the wood gas, iirc the Germans used it to power automobiles/trucks due to their shortage of gasoline. They must have had the reactor along for the ride, maybe on a trailer.

A long time ago (70’s, 80’s?) I read about the historical Stanley Steamer steam powered automobile, and daydreamed about building a wood-fire powered aircraft. Now the idea is alive again, and morphing into something different. Might simplify and saferize it. I’d still like to be the only guy aloft, if S were to HTF lol.

What is a biodigester and how it works - Biogas basics

OK at EVERYTHING - PRO at NOTHING
    10.9K subscribers

12,659 views Dec 1, 2020
    “First video of biogas basics”

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Johnnycomelately For This Post:

Bill Ryan (9th May 2023), Harmony (9th May 2023), Szymon (9th May 2023), Vangelo (9th May 2023)

9. Link to Post #5
    Vanuatu On Sabbatical
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Johnnycomelately (here)
    Hi Friends,

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JP4ob9RVklo

Cheers,
    Szymon
    Interesting idea. I found this explainer of how they work, and how temperature matters. Africa has the higher ambient temps, that allow for the fastest production of gas without having to use some other heat source.

This chap lays out the time ranges for full digestion, versus working temperature.

The unit he designed seems to be a continuous cycle like the African design, keep on adding stock and harvesting gas and t’other. He employs a mechanical mixer (and a heater), which the long-bag ones don’t seem to need, as they rely on end-to-end flow which I guess does similar.

He speaks about Hydrogen Sulfide being one of the normal gases produced, along with Methane and Hydrogen, and says he scrubs it after extraction. I learned about H2S in the oilfield, nasty stuff in higher concentrations, and iirc pretty corrosive.

About the first vid, the wood gas, iirc the Germans used it to power automobiles/trucks due to their shortage of gasoline. They must have had the reactor along for the ride, maybe on a trailer.

A long time ago (70’s, 80’s?) I read about the historical Stanley Steamer steam powered automobile, and daydreamed about building a wood-fire powered aircraft. Now the idea is alive again, and morphing into something different. Might simplify and saferize it. I’d still like to be the only guy aloft, if S were to HTF lol.

What is a biodigester and how it works - Biogas basics

OK at EVERYTHING - PRO at NOTHING
    10.9K subscribers

12,659 views Dec 1, 2020
    “First video of biogas basics”

Thanks for that. A very interesting video. Now I know a bit more about BioGas. I wonder if you can power a 4 stroke engine with this?

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Szymon For This Post:

Bill Ryan (9th May 2023), happyuk (10th May 2023), Harmony (9th May 2023), Johnnycomelately (9th May 2023)

11. Link to Post #6
    Canada Avalon Member Johnnycomelately's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,577 times in 981 posts

Thanks for that. A very interesting video. Now I know a bit more about BioGas. I wonder if you can power a 4 stroke engine with this?
    Pretty sure. Rode a crew truck in treeplanting, the Blue Whale, which ran on either gasoline or cowfartstoff. If made this way, would need compression to charge the cylinder. I don’t know what mods are needed to the engine+ for that.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Johnnycomelately For This Post:

Bill Ryan (9th May 2023), Harmony (9th May 2023), Szymon (9th May 2023), Vangelo (9th May 2023)

+ Reply to Thread