+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is the World being run and controlled by Civil Servants?

1. Link to Post #1
    England Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,425 times in 1,397 posts

Default Is the World being run and controlled by Civil Servants?

I've often wondered whether it is in fact the Civil Service who run this country as they are "the constant", ie. the same team who work for the government whichever party is in power. They also run the monarchy and imo are responsible for all the adverse crap being released to the press. The hit comedy series "Yes Minister" was reportedly based on real goings-on at Downing Street.

Dominic Raab a 'neurotic bully' who thrives off picking on junior civil servant

Probably of interest only to those from the UK is that Dominic Raab, Deputy Leader of the Conservative Party, resigned on Friday 21st April 2023 following allegations of bullying his staff. Like Boris before him, it wasn't his own failure that led to his downfall (eg. when he was Foreign Secretary he as on holiday abroad when the Afghanistan evacuation fiasco took place and didn't return until afterwards), but that he upset the wrong people. Just for completeness, below is a link to the full report.

Link to full report
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...d-rishi-sunak/

What I find interesting is that Dominic Raab alluded to a conspiracy of "activist civil servants" who conspired to oust him. Suella Braverman is supposed to be next in the activist civil servants' sights.

Just to name a couple of senior civil servant roles:

Sir Philip Barton, Foreign Office's top civil servant, earning around £185,000pa (more than an MP), was also on annual leave at the time Afghanistan fell to Taliban control. He too didn't return.

Sir Oliver Robbins KCMG CB is a former senior British civil servant who served as the Prime Minister's Europe Adviser and the chief Brexit negotiator from 2017 to 2019. He was a controversial figure among Brexit supporters. (Surprise surprise, he's now MD at Goldman Sachs)'

In addition, many famous men and women have been civil servants:

. William Chaucer was an official in the Customs department.
    . John Milton was an official working on correspondence with foreign countries.
    . Samuel Pepys was Secretary of the Admiralty.
    . William Wordsworth was a distributor of stamps for the county of Westmorland.
    . Rabbie Burns was an Excise Officer.
    . Anthony Trollope was a surveyor in the Post Office.

Perhaps we should be looking more closely at our Civil Servants and the influence they wield behind the scenes.
    Last edited by Harmony; 25th April 2023 at 07:31. Reason: changing thread title

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Miller For This Post:

Bill Ryan (25th April 2023), Dorjezigzag (28th August 2023), Ewan (25th April 2023), ExomatrixTV (25th April 2023), Franny (24th May 2023), Gwin Ru (25th April 2023), Harmony (25th April 2023), Icare (24th September 2023), Jambo (25th April 2023), jaybee (25th April 2023), Matthew (25th April 2023), Nasu (26th April 2023), palehorse (28th August 2023), Tintin (25th April 2023)

3. Link to Post #2
    England Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Default Re: Is the World being run and controlled by Civil Servants?

Simon Case, Cabinet Secretary and Head of the Civil Service in the UK,
    is the Prime Minister's most senior policy adviser.

He acts as Secretary to the Cabinet and is responsible for supporting all ministers in the running of government and providing professional leadership to the Civil Service.  This (presumably) is the very top job in the Civil Service to whom all other departments, like MI5 etc., report.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64518188
    Simon Case: 'Keeper of secrets' under scrutiny
    In a period of heightened political turbulence, one senior civil servant has been attempting to keep his balance at the centre of power. A former spy, and private secretary to Prince William, who came in for barbed criticism in Prince Harry's memoirs, Simon Case is a figure who seems to attract controversy and fascination in equal measure. In his current job as cabinet secretary, he has served three very different prime ministers - a powerful, but largely invisible figure.

Sat at the PM's side at every cabinet meeting, but prevented from commenting publicly by civil service impartiality, Mr Case is tasked with ensuring government policy is put into action. But the cabinet secretary is also the PM's chief adviser - someone who has the power to find out what is really going on inside the government machine and to decide what should be reported back to his political master. Good governance requires strong civil service leadership providing robust advice to ministers who behave with propriety. Never more so than under a prime minister who has promised to lead a government of "integrity, professionalism and accountability at every level". Which is why the spotlight has been turned on Mr Case in recent months, as Rishi Sunak has faced a series of controversies and scandals, including:
    -The inquiry into bullying allegations against Deputy Prime Minister Dominic Raab
    -The sacking of the former Conservative Party chairman Nadhim Zahawi
    -The arrangement of an £800,000 credit facility to Boris Johnson

To his allies, Mr Case is considered to be a highly effective civil servant with a firm grasp on his duties. Former business secretary, Jacob Rees-Mogg said he found the cabinet secretary to be "a good and efficient civil servant, who helped a democratically elected government deliver its promises in the proper way". Another recent cabinet minister said: "He's a great man. A fixer by nature. Makes things happen and finds way through tricky problems". His critics take a different view.

'Keeper of secrets'
    One former senior civil servant thinks Mr Case could have been more robust in challenging the prime ministers he's worked for."There are too many examples of things having happened that shouldn't have happened," they said. As questions swirl over Mr Case, is the system of civil service working as it should be?

Mr Case first took the job in September 2020, when he replaced Sir Mark Sedwill, who was sacked by former Prime Minister Boris Johnson .A Cambridge graduate with a PhD in political history, Mr Case ascended through the ranks of the civil service after joining in 2006. He held roles in the UK's intelligence agency, GCHQ, and in the Royal Household on the way to the job top. At 41, he became the youngest cabinet secretary in recent times. Before he took the post, Mr Case's former PhD tutor, historian Peter Hennessy, told the BBC: "From next week, he will be the ultimate keeper of secrets in the UK."

'Tested the boundaries'
    The appointment was a "surprise" and there were question marks over how much authority he'd have, given his relative inexperience, says Jill Rutter, a former senior civil servant. But Ms Rutter, a senior research fellow of UK in a Changing Europe think tank, said Mr Case was put in a difficult position by the Johnson government, which "tested the boundaries of proprietary". She mentioned the so-called Partygate affair as one example. When an internal investigation into lockdown parties at Downing Street was launched, Mr Case removed himself from the process after it emerged an event was hosted in his office. Suddenly, the bespectacled cabinet secretary with a low profile was revealed by the glare of publicity.

This would suggest that there are still people above Mr Simon Case, but who are they?

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Miller For This Post:

Bill Ryan (25th April 2023), Ewan (25th April 2023), ExomatrixTV (25th April 2023), Franny (24th May 2023), Gwin Ru (25th April 2023), Harmony (25th April 2023), Icare (24th September 2023), Jambo (25th April 2023), jaybee (25th April 2023), Nasu (26th April 2023), Tintin (25th April 2023)

5. Link to Post #3
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,187 times in 4,071 posts

Yes, the remainer, globalist, Civil Service happily run things while a politicians job is to take the attention. When Priti Patel or anyone else tries to order them around they pull the 'bullying' card which suspiciously gets lots of press. The same boring pattern, like their modus operandi. Civil Servants are a strange breed allergic to any attention which they avoid because attention is a politicians job. Politicians change but the Civil Servants stays the same underneath them.

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Matthew For This Post:

Bill Ryan (25th April 2023), Ewan (25th April 2023), ExomatrixTV (25th April 2023), Franny (30th May 2023), Gwin Ru (25th April 2023), Harmony (25th April 2023), Jambo (25th April 2023), jaybee (25th April 2023), Miller (25th April 2023), Nasu (26th April 2023), Tintin (25th April 2023)

7. Link to Post #4
    UK Moderator/Librarian/Administrator Tintin's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 46,592 times in 5,410 posts

Great thread - thanks

Really worthy of a further dive, for sure. 'Yes' would be the really reductionist response to the question posed by the thread, but here's a great opportunity for those of us who like a research challenge to dig deeper
    “If a man does not keep pace with [fall into line with] his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” - Thoreau

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Tintin For This Post:

Bill Ryan (25th April 2023), Ewan (25th April 2023), ExomatrixTV (25th April 2023), Franny (30th May 2023), Gwin Ru (25th April 2023), Harmony (25th April 2023), Jambo (25th April 2023), Miller (25th April 2023), Nasu (26th April 2023)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,005 times in 8,166 posts

Is the UK being run and controlled by Civil Servants?

I think the answer is more complex or broader than a simple yes.

The civil service seems to have been infiltrated by an organization that infiltrated many other administrative bodies too. It's hard to find solid evidence of that organization, I'm relying on anecdotal testimony to say this. That organization is known as Common Purpose. It's a kind of neo secret society that came on the scene, I think, during the Blair era.

It recruits people from all over, selecting people who have power or influence. You're kids' school teacher or headmaster could be involved. Police chiefs, hospital administrators, council leaders and councilors. Anyone.

I think there was a big recruitment effort made in my area around 10 or 15 years ago. An organization that didn't call itself Common Purpose ( I don't think it called itself anything in particular ) twice put leaflets through my letterbox over a 1 year span. It invited me to a meeting to talk about ideas to help our community/society. I felt a spookiness about it right then and I was curious to find out what it was all about. I considered going on both occasions but didn't actually go.

I had not heard of Common Purpose at that time. If I had, I surely would have gone just to check out what was going on and who were the leading players involved etc. A missed opportunity.

Later, I heard one of the UK Column people tell a story about his first encounter with Common Purpose. That joined a couple of dots for me.

I would like to hear more from members here about what they know, or think they know, about Common Purpose. I'm fairly convinced that's what we are dealing with.
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

10. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

Bill Ryan (25th April 2023), Ewan (25th April 2023), ExomatrixTV (25th April 2023), Franny (30th May 2023), Gwin Ru (25th April 2023), Harmony (25th April 2023), Icare (24th September 2023), Jambo (25th April 2023), Miller (25th April 2023), Nasu (26th April 2023), Tintin (25th April 2023)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,514 times in 32,788 posts

As many Brits will know, the [extremely clever and funny!] long-running BBC comedy series Yes, Minister (and later Yes, Prime Minister) was entirely based on this theme. It was said to be Margaret Thatcher's favorite show.

Alexander Mercouris, who was and is well connected with the unelected British elite, often refers to the British "political class" who control the puppet strings on everything, just one recent example being the rapid removal of incompetent Prime Minister Liz Truss.

He sometimes calls this the "British Deep State", and of course in the US this is exactly the same thing, where elected politicians are just regarded as inconvenient temporary workers to be tolerated, used, controlled, corralled and directed in any way possible, fair or foul.

12. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Ewan (25th April 2023), ExomatrixTV (25th April 2023), Franny (30th May 2023), Gwin Ru (25th April 2023), Harmony (26th April 2023), Icare (24th September 2023), Jambo (25th April 2023), Matthew (25th April 2023), Miller (25th April 2023), Nasu (26th April 2023), Sirus (26th April 2023), Tintin (25th April 2023), Yoda (26th April 2023)

13. Link to Post #7
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,454 times in 4,331 posts

... is this when Project Avalon fulfills its role of a wealthy repository of chronicles from the past via a few keystrokes in the "Advanced Search" box?

Typing " "Common Purpose" " in that box yields things like:

What is "Common Purpose"? It's mind-control in extremis

As for the many misdirects and divisions, here is a good summary:

So... Common Purpose is only one step down from the WEFers' Global Young Leaders; the ghosts that are always there regardless of who is in "power"... the technocrats that keep going and going... all seemingly orchestrated by the Khazarian Mafia

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Gwin Ru For This Post:

Bill Ryan (25th April 2023), Ewan (25th April 2023), Franny (30th May 2023), Harmony (26th April 2023), Icare (24th September 2023), Miller (25th April 2023), Nasu (26th April 2023), Reinhard (24th September 2023)

15. Link to Post #8
    England Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

The Blob undermines democracy, says Patrick Christys

Patrick Christys from GB News Channel reporting on UK civil servants, who are hellbent on leaking and pushing slanted/prejudicial information to the media in order to bring down anyone in opposition of their left wing views. At the moment they appear to be targeting pro Brexit MPs.

In the past week, Dominic Raab has said he will not stand in the next election and is leaving politics altogether, Suella Braverman has managed to stay another day after a speeding misdemeanour and, just today, Boris Johnson has been accused of breaking Covid rules (again) at Chequers. Boris is thinking of suing the Cabinet who have bounced the issue back to the civil servants.

Firstly named "The Blob" by Michael Gove in 2016, Patrick posits that BLOB stands for Bloody Lazy Overpaid Bureaucrats. They obviously have far too much power and not enough proper work to do and it's time they were culled, from the top down.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Miller For This Post:

Bill Ryan (24th May 2023), Ewan (28th August 2023), Franny (30th May 2023), Harmony (25th May 2023), Icare (24th September 2023), Jambo (24th September 2023)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,959 times in 2,206 posts

Just watched this interview from GB News with Jacob Rees-Mogg and thought of this thread - it seems that the Civil Service are threatening to strike because they don't like Government policy regarding sending asylum seekers by plane to Rwanda to be processed there and don't want to have anything to do with it...

In other words they want to actively sabotage policies put forward by democratically elected Members of Parliament.....because they don't agree with said policy...

Rees-Mogg says, quite rightly that if they don't want to do the job they are there to do they should resign rather than strike...

The cheek of these people - they are there to oil and maintain the business of Parliament not make or break policy - but it's interesting that the mask of the Civil Servants is slipping - as with all the other institutions that have been infiltrated and manipulated by adherents of a covert agenda (cultural Marxism, communism, Globalism, 'woke'- ism.... and similar) the gloves are coming off and they are applying pressure to help bring down the country from within...on this occasion from the heart of government...

Here's the video for anyone who's interested...

Civil servants threaten to STRIKE over Rwanda policy | 'They should resign!' says Jacob Rees-Mogg(7.27)

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jaybee For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th August 2023), Ewan (28th August 2023), Franny (30th May 2023), Harmony (28th August 2023), Icare (24th September 2023), Jambo (24th September 2023), Miller (20th July 2023)

19. Link to Post #10
    England Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

In the light of Nadine Dorries's resignation letter, quoted in full courtesy of Tintin on the "Turmoil in the UK" thread, it seems appropriate to bump this thread, in particular for its references to the Civil Service:

Quote Posted by Tintin (here)
    Dear Prime Minister,
    (snipped)
    Long before my resignation announcement, in July 2022, I had advised the cabinet secretary, Simon Case, of my intention to step down.

(Snipped)
    Having witnessed first-hand, as Boris Johnson and then Liz Truss were taken down, I decided that the British people had a right to know what was happening in their name. Why is it that we have had five Conservative prime ministers since 2010, with not one of the previous four having left office as the result of losing a general election? That is a democratic deficit which the mother of parliaments should be deeply ashamed of and which, as you and I know, is the result of the machinations[ of a small group of individuals embedded deep at the centre of the party and Downing Street.

To start with, my investigations focused on the political assassination of Boris Johnson, but as I spoke to more and more people - and I have spoken to a lot of people, from ex-prime ministers, cabinet ministers both ex and current through all levels of government and Westminster and even journalists - a dark story emerged which grew ever more disturbing with each person I spoke to.

It became clear to me as I worked that remaining as a back bencher was incompatible with publishing a book which exposes how the democratic process at the heart of our party has been corrupted. As I uncovered this alarming situation I knew, such were the forces ranged against me, that I was grateful to retain my parliamentary privilege until today. And, as you also know Prime Minister, those forces are today the most powerful figures in the land. The onslaught against me even included the bizarre spectacle of the Cabinet Secretary claiming (without evidence) to a select committee that he had reported me to the Whips and Speakers office (not only have neither office been able to confirm this was true, but they have no power to act, as he well knows). It is surely as clear a breach of Civil Service impartiality as you could wish to see.

Nadine Dorries
    Even our late Queen was quoted as saying: “There are powers at work in this country about which we have no knowledge.” Could she have been referring to the Civil Service?
    "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible make violent revolution inevitable" (John F Kennedy - 13th March 1962)
    "The only winning move is not to play" (WarGames 1983)

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Miller For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th August 2023), Ewan (28th August 2023), Harmony (28th August 2023), Icare (24th September 2023), Jambo (24th September 2023), shaberon (28th August 2023), Tintin (28th August 2023)

21. Link to Post #11
    UK Moderator/Librarian/Administrator Tintin's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 46,592 times in 5,410 posts

Quote Posted by Miller (here)
    In the light of Nadine Dorries's resignation letter, quoted in full courtesy of Tintin on the "Turmoil in the UK" thread, it seems appropriate to bump this thread, in particular for its references to the Civil Service:

Quote Posted by Tintin (here)
    Dear Prime Minister,
    (snipped)
    Long before my resignation announcement, in July 2022, I had advised the cabinet secretary, Simon Case, of my intention to step down.

(Snipped)
    Having witnessed first-hand, as Boris Johnson and then Liz Truss were taken down, I decided that the British people had a right to know what was happening in their name. Why is it that we have had five Conservative prime ministers since 2010, with not one of the previous four having left office as the result of losing a general election? That is a democratic deficit which the mother of parliaments should be deeply ashamed of and which, as you and I know, is the result of the machinations[ of a small group of individuals embedded deep at the centre of the party and Downing Street.

To start with, my investigations focused on the political assassination of Boris Johnson, but as I spoke to more and more people - and I have spoken to a lot of people, from ex-prime ministers, cabinet ministers both ex and current through all levels of government and Westminster and even journalists - a dark story emerged which grew ever more disturbing with each person I spoke to.

It became clear to me as I worked that remaining as a back bencher was incompatible with publishing a book which exposes how the democratic process at the heart of our party has been corrupted. As I uncovered this alarming situation I knew, such were the forces ranged against me, that I was grateful to retain my parliamentary privilege until today. And, as you also know Prime Minister, those forces are today the most powerful figures in the land. The onslaught against me even included the bizarre spectacle of the Cabinet Secretary claiming (without evidence) to a select committee that he had reported me to the Whips and Speakers office (not only have neither office been able to confirm this was true, but they have no power to act, as he well knows). It is surely as clear a breach of Civil Service impartiality as you could wish to see.

Nadine Dorries
    Even our late Queen was quoted as saying: “There are powers at work in this country about which we have no knowledge.” Could she have been referring to the Civil Service?
    Thanks for putting this here; most apropos indeed.

Members here are much brighter than most and would, in Nadine's instance certainly be reminded of the role of Cabinet Secretary who is to all intents and purposes serving as a sort of Whip for the Deep State. UK viewers will remember the much loved series' 'Yes Minister' and 'Yes, Prime Minister'. which although brilliantly lampooning how government works were also providing folks with a very instructive window, even outside the Overton variety ( ), which is partially open and allowing a slight breeze to carry some insights in. And there is also probably my favourite, the drama series from 1990, 'House of Cards' which, although dramatised, is probably yet more revealing.

The incumbent Cabinet Secretary, Simon Case, seems to be the appointee du jour behind the scenes overseeing how government runs. Although Wikipedia is so utterly compromised these days, and biographies so skewed to suit certain agendas, his background would be easy enough to substantiate and what's published there does seem reliable. Do check his background.

The BBC, when it used to be very good at its documentary work, broadcast an interesting series in 2011 called 'The Secret World of Whitehall' written by Michael Cockerell, who has an impressive pedigree as a broadcast journalist, and connected well enough to be able to get access that others might not so readily be able. Still, as good as it is, and I do recommend it be viewed, there always seems to be a little something missing. But, it is worth the time.

Preceding Nadine Dorries' more than justified frustrations was, of course, this, which ought to be printed and posted on the walls of every home throughout the land:

From March, 2001:
    “What power have you got? Where did you get it from? In whose interests do you exercise it? To whom are you accountable? And how can we get rid of you. And if you can't get rid of the people who govern you then you don't live in a democratic system”
    Tony Benn

And Nadine's situation is reminiscent of the forces that brought Margaret Thatcher down in the end.

Aside: the UK Column posted something up on their Twitter feed earlier this week, from an interview from July 2023 with Leon Krier:
    """I wrote to Prince Charles two years ago, urging him to dissociate himself from Klaus Schwab, who is clearly a psychopath. I reminded him that he was the only public figure who had dared [forty years ago] to stand against [architectural] modernism. But he wrote back. "This is too far gone, and even I can't do anything about it.""
    - Leon Krier

Related link/s:

Avalon Library: BBC The Secret World of Whitehall (2011)

The Nation: Tony Benn and the Five Essential Questions of Democracy: Article by John Nichols from March 2014

Avalon Library: House of Cards (1990)

UK Column: Prince Charles correspondence from a video interview July 2023: A Glimpse into Cities, Architecture, Planning and Control with Leon Krier - UK Column interview link
    Last edited by Tintin; 28th August 2023 at 12:32. Reason: Amended UK Column segment with updated text + source
    “If a man does not keep pace with [fall into line with] his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” - Thoreau

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tintin For This Post:

Ewan (28th August 2023), Harmony (28th August 2023), Icare (24th September 2023), Jambo (24th September 2023), Miller (24th September 2023), shaberon (28th August 2023)

23. Link to Post #12
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,495 times in 4,009 posts

This may be important for those of us who do not know how democracy works.

Civil Service is a Crown employee, but, it says on paper at least, they are supposed to obey appointed ministers. It is redundant because the Prime Minister is the Civil Service Minister. Then he appoints the ministry which acts as advisory to the Crown.

House of Lords is a bloated body, second only to NPC China. It is not hereditary as it once was, but, is an appointment, life or at least long term.

My first guess is they couldn't manage their way out of a paper bag.

Secondly I think they probably do have a rapid delivery system for metastic mental disease. That seems to me what might be going on there.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shaberon For This Post:

Icare (24th September 2023), Jambo (24th September 2023), Miller (24th September 2023), Tintin (28th August 2023)

25. Link to Post #13
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,959 times in 2,206 posts

Saw this video.... a bit of push back from a group of senior Civil Servants fed up with the encroachment of Woke Stuff within Whitehall -

@2:23.....letter signed by 42 staff from 16 departments - "many of us have experienced some form of personal disadvantage because we do not believe that the concept of gender identity is meaningful, or that it is more important than sex. Several of us have been through stressful and intrusive employment disputes."

Anti-Woke Civil Servants RISE UP Against Establishment

Mahyar Tousi says at the beginning... it's a small group but they are senior civil servants and it's a good start...

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jaybee For This Post:

Icare (24th September 2023), Miller (24th September 2023)

+ Reply to Thread