Thread: Ham radio documentary

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 times in 1,825 posts

Default Ham radio documentary

I discovered this documentary recently. It shows some of the things you can do and what a fun hobby it can be. I thought 'moon bouncing' was really cool. It's a fun intro into ham radios and is entertaining.

(25:00)
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd May 2023), Casey Claar (3rd May 2023), ExomatrixTV (3rd May 2023), Ioneo (3rd May 2023), Jambo (4th May 2023), Johnnycomelately (3rd May 2023), Journeyman (3rd May 2023), Kuperkai (4th May 2023), Michi (4th May 2023), palehorse (16th May 2023), rgray222 (3rd May 2023), Sunny-side-up (5th May 2023), Szymon (3rd May 2023), thepainterdoug (5th May 2023)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member Casey Claar's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,292 times in 764 posts

Default Re: Ham radio documentary

Thank you for posting, Strat!.. queueing it up now.
    "Love is what is left when you let go of everything you no longer need." —Raj

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Casey Claar For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd May 2023), ExomatrixTV (3rd May 2023), Jambo (4th May 2023), Johnnycomelately (3rd May 2023), Strat (3rd May 2023), Szymon (3rd May 2023), thepainterdoug (5th May 2023)

5. Link to Post #3
    Vanuatu On Sabbatical
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,190 times in 354 posts

Looking forward to watching this. Thank you Strat.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Szymon For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd May 2023), ExomatrixTV (3rd May 2023), Johnnycomelately (3rd May 2023), Strat (3rd May 2023), thepainterdoug (5th May 2023)

7. Link to Post #4
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 127,273 times in 21,091 posts
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th June 2023), Johnnycomelately (3rd May 2023), Strat (3rd May 2023), Szymon (4th May 2023)

9. Link to Post #5
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 127,273 times in 21,091 posts

Lightbulb Re: Ham radio documentary

• I Know There Are Software-defined Radio Receivers, But Are There SDR Transmitters Too?
    Sure. When speaking of Software Defined Radio, the implication is that you’re making a whole radio via that technology, transmit and receive. And they’re all over the place.
    • The Military’s JTRS radios are full SDR. This allows various different waveforms to run, and new ones to be added.
    • Most LTE cell sites are full SDR. This allowed, for example, a changeover at Sprint from WiMax to LTE, and it’s allowing LTE Advanced to be rolled out without a huge new investment in hardware.
    • SDR transceivers are fairly popular in HAM radio these days. It’s not just for scanners.
    • SDR is moving rapidly into IoT, where the number of different radio protocols, the ability to update large control networks, cost, and the fairly low bandwidth needed for most IoT nodes is making SDR viable.
    • The increasing number of different radio types is quickly pushing SDR into moblile devices.
    What most people want in an SDR is really the combination of a Software Defined Radio and a frequency agile RF front end. Once you’re dealing in even reasonably broadband signals or tuning ranges, you do need a real RF front end into the ADCs and out of the DACs that enable the “software” part of your SDR. It’s much easier to build an agile receiver than transmitter. And of course, some people just want SDR to enable a wide range of receiver frequencies. But someone has to do the transmitting!
    • Back When I Played This Game
    At a company I left some years back, I worked on both agile tuning and software radio, though curiously, not in the same project.

Here’s the “Agile AWE”, an agile radio front-end and frequency transverter I designed in 2009–2010. This could tune between 50MHz and 2000MHz, and back then we were feeding the output at 2350MHz into a WiFi chipset, rather than a software radio back-end. So this was frequency agile without the SDR part.

SDR was possible in those days, but expensive. On another project, I wrote a software receiver for NTSC televsion, as part of a video server designed to aggregate conventional television signals (usually on weird frequencies) from drones or robots as well as M-JPEG streams from other robots and output a DVB-H multiplexed stream containing each source in MPEG-4. I built an 8-core server using two Core 2 quad systems in a 1U rack to manage it. The SDR was using two USRPs (Universal Software Radio Peripheral), but as mentioned, receiver-only in this case. The USRPs weren’t true agile radios, but they had modular RF front ends for different frequency ranges, some TX/RX, some RX-only. And that was a huge heap of computing power there to get around the need for a couple of $1.50 NTSC receiver chips.
    • Careful When You Say “Software”
    When you first learn about SDR, or get a hobby-level SDR kit, it’s probably a pretty simple concept: you’re more or less connecting that antenna straight to your ADC, reading in that raw stream at some reasonable sample rate, and building software processing blocks to turn whatever you picked up into a useful thing. And I already mentioned that in practical systems, the antenna may have to run through a full RF front end and tuner before it’s handed off to the land of digital.

Beyond that, yeah, it could be your CPU getting everything. But that’s usually a waste of heat in the real world, simply because standard CPUs are good at general purpose computing, but not ideal for signal processing. So the software might be runinng on a Digital Signal Processor (DSP) instead. That’s another kind of CPU, but optimized in various ways for efficient signal processing. It might get processed by a Field Programmable Logic Array (FPGA), a “programmable chip”. Some types of FPGAs actually store their circuit layout in RAM, and can be reprogrammed on the fly for different activities. For the right application, an FPGA can process signals 1000’s of times faster than a vanilla CPU, using much less power.
    • Read More:
    A rare look inside an LTE cell site, operated by Sprint in San Francisco - ExtremeTech
    Ham SDR Resources
    The leader in Software Defined Radio (SDR)
    12 Popular Software Defined Radios (SDRs)
    10 Popular Software Defined Radios (SDRs) of 2022
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 5th May 2023 at 11:39.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th June 2023), Johnnycomelately (4th May 2023), Szymon (4th May 2023)

11. Link to Post #6
    Vanuatu On Sabbatical
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,190 times in 354 posts

Thanks again Strat. I just finished watching it and yep I still love it.

Cheers,
    Szymon

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Szymon For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th June 2023), ExomatrixTV (5th May 2023), Johnnycomelately (4th May 2023), thepainterdoug (5th May 2023)

+ Reply to Thread