+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which operating system do you prefer?

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 times in 1,825 posts

Default Which operating system do you prefer?

I'm planning on reformatting my laptop now that I've got a PC and I want to get rid of Windows. I've used common Linux distro's in the past like Ubuntu and Mint which I liked but I wanted to hear Avalon's thoughts on this.

I'm aware there is some degree of controversy with Ubuntu and I'm sure other distro's do as well.

So which one is safe?

It's pathetic these days considering my position has evolved to "I don't mind the bloatware just don't steal my info please."

--------------

For anyone reading this and is confused: The software you use to work with your computer is called an 'operating system' (OS). When you buy a computer/laptop/phone it's already installed and you don't really mess with it unless you're updating or something. The OS you're probably most familiar with is Microsoft's Windows.

Lots of people use a free alternatives that you can easily download. They are great and offer lots of benefits but they are by no means bulletproof and are not always user friendly.
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

atman (7th June 2023), Bill Ryan (7th June 2023), ExomatrixTV (7th June 2023), Icare (7th June 2023), palehorse (7th June 2023), Pris (7th June 2023), Tintin (7th June 2023)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,886 times in 760 posts

Default Re: Which operating system do you prefer?

I like Ubuntu but prefer KDE Plasma desktop environment. So one might choose Kubuntu -or- Ubuntu Studio (which uses KDE).
    (One can search on KDE Plasma customizations, to get a taste of what one can do.)
    Last edited by ozmirage; 6th June 2023 at 20:35.

4. Link to Post #3
    Vanuatu On Sabbatical
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,189 times in 354 posts

If you got a powerful laptop (good CPU, nice size HD and lots of RAM) try installing Qubes OS and then your preferred flavour of Linux OS.

https://www.qubes-os.org/intro/

I personally use Ubuntu Desktop and the Server for all development projects.

Cheers,
    Szymon

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Szymon For This Post:

atman (7th June 2023), Bill Ryan (7th June 2023), gord (6th June 2023), Icare (7th June 2023), Pris (7th June 2023), Strat (6th June 2023), Tintin (7th June 2023)

6. Link to Post #4
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,212 times in 2,396 posts

I use Linux Mint on a used PC. The PC came with Windows 7, but I got tired of being extorted to upgrade to Windows 10. It was a fresh install of Linux Mint.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Pris For This Post:

atman (7th June 2023), Bill Ryan (7th June 2023), Icare (7th June 2023), Strat (7th June 2023), Szymon (7th June 2023), Tintin (7th June 2023)

8. Link to Post #5
    Canada Avalon Member Richard S.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 times in 309 posts

Debian Bullseye

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Richard S. For This Post:

Bill Ryan (7th June 2023), gord (7th June 2023), Icare (7th June 2023), Strat (7th June 2023), Szymon (7th June 2023), Tintin (7th June 2023)

10. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 56,405 times in 8,339 posts

I'm currently checking out a version of Windows 11 that has been stripped of the microsoft junk.

I like it so far. I'm extremely reluctant to give up with the Windows platform because of the software I use.

I hate the standard Win 10/11 and have been through 'hell' with both. Earlier this year I stumbled on a customised version of win 10 on archive[dot]org. I downloaded it and tried it. I was instantly "in love with it". It was like going right back to win XP. A simple operating system that didn't F me around.

CAUTION, I ran Spybot Search & Destroy as soon as it was installed and it found 2 lines in the registry it screamed bloody murder about ! . . . I immediate commanded the app to fix those 2 lines. It did.

I still don't really know if the 2 offensive lines in the registry were a good thing or a bad thing. They may have been there to help keep microsoft out or they may have been there as the customisers own backdoor operation.

The win 10 version was 32 bit. I couldn't run the new 64 bit versions of things. Then, after a few days of following links and discovering websites of Windows customisation enthusiasts I found a version of Win 11 (64) that had been given the same treatment by the same person, and had the same two lines in the registry. I've been running it for 3 months and I'm using it now to write this. It also runs video editing software that I'm learning to use.

You were probably looking for answers that suggest alternatives to Windows but I'm suggesting that you could, if you have a good reason to, stick with the Windows format.

I won't post any links here. The last time I posted a link to a special discovery of a source on line, the seller got clobbered and vanished. That was a source for Chlorine Dioxide.
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

atman (7th June 2023), CurEus (10th June 2023), Strat (7th June 2023), Szymon (7th June 2023), Tintin (7th June 2023)

12. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

...for my main PC : Manjaro (an Arch distro) this is used for audio work, internet and website design and programming. This PC has Wine installed so I can fire up Civ 4 and a few other Windows items.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to samsdice For This Post:

atman (7th June 2023), Kuperkai (8th June 2023), Strat (7th June 2023)

14. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 56,405 times in 8,339 posts

Quote Posted by samsdice (here)
    ...for my main PC : Manjaro (an Arch distro) this is used for audio work, internet and website design and programming. This PC has Wine installed so I can fire up Civ 4 and a few other Windows items.
    Is there a latency or other issues if you run a windows audio app in wine ?
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

Kuperkai (8th June 2023), Strat (7th June 2023), Tintin (7th June 2023)

16. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member Ratszinger's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,307 times in 1,401 posts

For me the Chromebook by Google does all I need. Anymore I've not even turned on my Microsoft computer it's just too slow by comparison.
    The genius consistently stands out from the masses in that he unconsciously anticipates truths of which the population as a whole only later becomes conscious! Speech-circa 1937

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ratszinger For This Post:

palehorse (7th June 2023), Strat (7th June 2023), Tintin (7th June 2023)

18. Link to Post #10
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,581 times in 1,594 posts

Hi Strat, good question.. specially nowadays with everything moving so fast, once we realized it changed once again.

In order to minimize so many potential issues down the road with the advancement of technology.. basically chose a Linux that is FREE/LIBRE, and programs backed by GNU foundation. GNU Linux is your friend, but there is one subject that people in so many Linux communities are very uncomfortable in talking about, it generates a lot of friction. It is the "init system" that all OS has, in case of Linux there is many, but you want to avoid the one called `systemd` which is backed by globalist corpo. They want with all power corrupt the only OS that still free out there, they are doing it aggressively, and they are absolutely invested and determined to do it. Middle finger to corpo weirdos.

The first thing that I look when picking up a flavor of Linux for "personal use", is if it make use of `systemd`, I avoid `systemd` like vampires avoid the sunlight, silver and garlic.

I won't go much in details why I dislike `systemd` so much because I would have to go completely off-topic.

..but for more reference of what I am writing about, please check here: https://without-systemd.org/wiki/ind...ainst_systemd/

here just a few points to give more meat to this post:

- systemd takes over logging
    - systemd gains controls over anything IP and basic firewalling (this one alone is enough for me)
    - systemd attempts to resolve DNS cache (and it does by default if you don't stop it) article about a case here: https://latesthackingnews.com/2017/0...-dns-response/ (it basically plants a backdoor full time that allows anyone with the right technical knowledge to hijack and exploit any computer using systemd. Who would do that or have the time/resources/inclination ??? the corpo. We are not talking about hackers in mama's basement.)
    - several bugs like high CPU spikes with a few days of uptime (they keep fixing this one), systemd v228 local root exploit, binary logs getting corrupted for no reason, and many more..
    - systemd-journal-*

* systemd-journal-gatewayd serves journal events over the network. Clients must connect using HTTP. The server listens on port 19531 by default. If --cert= is specified, the server expects HTTPS connections.

and then a use case how to retrieve a boot log from a computer over the network (I know it is localhost, change localhost by local ip, it can be accessed internally, someone with remote access to that network, could possibly "grab" a boot log of someone in that network.. this is just 1 vulns that is possible to explore, there is countless others).

Code:
    curl --silent -H'Accept: application/vnd.fdo.journal' \
           'http://localhost:19531/entries?boot'

The entire idea behind systemd is to turn the init system into the simplest building block for Linuxes OS (turn it into a bloated system like windows). Some will argue about the positive aspects of it, and there is many but it is overshadowed by the negative ones, simplicity is a good one (everything in one black box HAHA give me a break), but when you break down and see that systemd can potentially communicate outside of your network and it does without your consent, then it is not different than Windows, which does that full time anyway and nobody question. Why would you want to use Linux in the first case? to have more privacy/security/anonymity right? start with systemd free system, then build up on the 3 pillars. The is no safer OS, there is good and bad choice, it is about user behavior mostly.

Want a great example of bloated Linux? try to use Red Hat. Even Fedora sucks hard and super heavy.

For personal use I like the following distros: Slackware (try Slint first to have a taste of it), Gentoo (don't like to compile programs? try Pentoo live CD), Trisquel (if wasn't for the systemd thing argh!!!), BSD family are welcome too, Alpine Linux, and actually several others.

GUI: I use openbox, Awesome, XFCE and some other less known, is more than enough for my needs.

For work I have been using Arch and Manjaro (which is based on Arch), it make use of the init software `systemd` but I do nothing personal on my working laptop.

GUI: I use KDE and GNOME.

Also check here for Linuxes distros without `systemd` (excellent list) : https://distrowatch.com/search.php?o...=Active#simple

Best way is to separate completely working computer from personal computer, and depending on the situation a third computer is necessary.

It is not about hide anything, is about respect, freedom, privacy, security, our rights. If these ****ers do not understand that, they can go screw themselves and good luck hunting us all down, let's give them a lot of troubles, just using free Linux systemd free. If their corpo websites does not work on our systems, then it is because we do not need them.

Please don't take me wrong, it is not a rant post, it is about something that everybody is ignoring, and it is here, the evil tentacles is getting everywhere, since circa 2015 I have been talking about systemd, it was wrong in my opinion and also in the opinion of experts like Linus Torvalds (Linux Kernel creator), Theodore (lead Linux Kernel developer), and many others.

Avoid all these Linuxes with high marketing/propaganda, who do you think is paying for that? Stick with the old school ones, they are safer, if is that what you need.
    Last edited by palehorse; 7th June 2023 at 12:59.
    --
    A chaos to the sense, a Kosmos to the reason.

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

gord (8th June 2023), Kuperkai (8th June 2023), norman (7th June 2023), Pris (7th June 2023), Strat (7th June 2023)

20. Link to Post #11
    Australia Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,468 times in 950 posts

i'm using arch based EndeavourOS and running Opensuse on virtual Machine...all of linux are KDE favor. looking at going to ubuntu based...

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apokalypse For This Post:

Kuperkai (8th June 2023), Strat (7th June 2023)

22. Link to Post #12
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by palehorse (here)
    Thanks! I knew there was 'something going on' but I didn't know any details.

I have 2 devices, a laptop and a desktop. I'd like the laptop to be for work and desktop for personal. However, I'm thinking on making the desktop into a dual boot. Long story short, I have a (new) 1TB HD sitting on my shelf that I'd like to add to my PC and format as a Linux OS. The desktop is much more powerful and is in an area where I work on projects, so it'd be handy to have that as an option.
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

atman (7th June 2023), palehorse (9th June 2023)

24. Link to Post #13
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,540 times in 813 posts

I think that it depends on what you wish to do ... that day?

I don't like dual boot nor using 'hypervisors'.

The way I have things set is that I can change OS within 10 seconds (from 'dead') or within 2 mins (from running).
    I only use Ubuntu as a 'daily drive' but have win 10 (which I hate but at times I must have .... such as to take certifications) and Parrot Sec Os (which I use when I need it).

There is Parrot 'home' ... which can be used as a daily (maybe look at that .... setup by people who know how to 'hack' so they created it as a hardened OS)
    You can view the Parrot options here (click on 'home edition'):
    https://www.parrotsec.org/download/

Which ever way ... is always a problem!
    The only way to be 'safe' >>>> Do not be on the internet lol
    Last edited by lake; 7th June 2023 at 19:21.
    Normal..!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to lake For This Post:

atman (9th June 2023)

26. Link to Post #14
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 127,230 times in 21,087 posts

Lightbulb Re: Which operating system do you prefer?

• Linux Mint vs Ubuntu Cinnamon: Which Should YOU Use?

The Cinnamon desktop environment was created for Linux Mint over ten years ago, but has recently been implemented as an official Ubuntu flavour with the release of Ubuntu Cinnamon 23.04. This presents the question of which distro provides the best Cinnamon experience and which will suit your needs best.
    • 0:00 Introduction to Ubuntu Cinnamon & Linux Mint
    • 1:27 Ubuntu Cinnamon Deserves Praise
    • 3:12 Linux Mint is Loved for a Reason
    • 4:25 Ubuntu + Cinnamon = Problems?
    • 6:12 Is Cinnamon Even Ideal?

Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 7th June 2023 at 18:59.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

atman (9th June 2023), Kuperkai (8th June 2023), Pris (7th June 2023)

28. Link to Post #15
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 127,230 times in 21,087 posts

• Linux Mint 21.1 better than Windows?

• Linux Mint 21.1 a Windows Destroyer?

Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 7th June 2023 at 19:16.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

atman (9th June 2023), Kuperkai (8th June 2023), Pris (7th June 2023)

30. Link to Post #16
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by lake (here)
    The only way to be 'safe' >>>> Do not be on the internet lol
    Ain't that the truth!

31. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

atman (9th June 2023), ExomatrixTV (7th June 2023), gord (8th June 2023), lake (7th June 2023), palehorse (9th June 2023), Pris (7th June 2023)

32. Link to Post #17
    United States Avalon Member Kuperkai's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by palehorse (here)

Also check here for Linuxes distros without `systemd` (excellent list) :
    https://distrowatch.com/search.php?o...=Active#simple
    @palehorse- Thanks for that link. Here is another link describing various Systemd free distributions
    Not a Systemd Fan? Here are 14 Systemd-Free Linux Distributions

However, your link captures MANY more distributions.

Since you brought up Systemd, why not talk about application packages and installation/package managers? Besides Systemd, the next biggest Linux controversy appears to be application packages- Snap vs Flatpak vs AppImage. The following article explains the differences and the pros & cons:
    Flatpak vs. Snap: 10 Differences You Should Know

I would like to hear from any longtime Linux users as to what they do/use to install and manage software.
    Last edited by Kuperkai; 8th June 2023 at 06:30.

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kuperkai For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (8th June 2023), palehorse (9th June 2023), Pris (9th June 2023), Strat (9th June 2023)

34. Link to Post #18
    Thanks

Hi Norman - I haven't noticed any latency issues when running ableton live or in any game. IIRC there is an extension for wine (something like "winevst") which improves vst latency but I have not installed it. There is also Wine-TKG https://madskjeldgaard.dk/posts/impr...ance-wine-tkg/

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to samsdice For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (8th June 2023), Kuperkai (8th June 2023), norman (9th June 2023)

36. Link to Post #19
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,581 times in 1,594 posts

Quote Posted by Kuperkai (here)

@palehorse- Thanks for that link. Here is another link describing various Systemd free distributions
    Not a Systemd Fan? Here are 14 Systemd-Free Linux Distributions

However, your link captures MANY more distributions.

Since you brought up Systemd, why not talk about application packages and installation/package managers? Besides Systemd, the next biggest Linux controversy appears to be application packages- Snap vs Flatpak vs AppImage. The following article explains the differences and the pros & cons:
    Flatpak vs. Snap: 10 Differences You Should Know

I would like to hear from any longtime Linux users as to what they do/use to install and manage software.

Hi Kuperkai, yes that link can be used to filter even in more details, it was just a quick search I did.

Some of the distributions in there also started using `systemd` like Slax if I am not wrong, would have to check each website of the interested distro just to be sure.

Regarding packages, the package manager of Manjaro for example is `Pamac` and it automatically seems to give support to Alpm, AUR, Flatpak and Snap, however I don't use `Pamac` for anything at all. I do use `pacman` which is a command line utility, for those coming from debian/ubuntu, it is your `apt-get` or `apt` (Advanced package tool), but of course you gonna need it only if you plan to install the binaries for your system.
    I do prefer to use simple command line tools for manage programs, things like `portage`, `pacman`, `apt` or even more exotic package manager like `pkg_*` used with openBSD systems, also I do compile lots of sources, then no need of using Flatpak/Appimage/Snap or even any package manager in that case. I don't know much about Flatpak/Appimage/Snap crew.

In terms of Linux I really goes with KISS principle. Depending on the work requirement I would use anything, but that would not be my suggestions of use. Packaging a program isn't that hard, there is automated tools that even converted from across Linuxes package system .. I had seen lots of Appimages available on github, but quite a lot of them are night builders sort of thing and buggy, does not feel reliable or that serious if compared to an official distro release. Binary packaging by official distros gets a lot of tests before it is released, that's just my 2 cents.
    --
    A chaos to the sense, a Kosmos to the reason.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Kuperkai (9th June 2023), Sunny (10th June 2023)

38. Link to Post #20
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,222 times in 1,147 posts

Quote Posted by Strat (here)
    I'm planning on reformatting my laptop now that I've got a PC and I want to get rid of Windows. I've used common Linux distro's in the past like Ubuntu and Mint which I liked but I wanted to hear Avalon's thoughts on this.

I'm aware there is some degree of controversy with Ubuntu and I'm sure other distro's do as well.

So which one is safe?

It's pathetic these days considering my position has evolved to "I don't mind the bloatware just don't steal my info please."

--------------

For anyone reading this and is confused: The software you use to work with your computer is called an 'operating system' (OS). When you buy a computer/laptop/phone it's already installed and you don't really mess with it unless you're updating or something. The OS you're probably most familiar with is Microsoft's Windows.

Lots of people use a free alternatives that you can easily download. They are great and offer lots of benefits but they are by no means bulletproof and are not always user friendly.
    I like mint but currently running a dual boot with Win 10 and wound up using that more after a issue with the browser on mint that I've yet to solve.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Journeyman For This Post:

palehorse (23rd June 2023)

+ Reply to Thread