1. Link to Post #1
    Vanuatu On Sabbatical
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,190 times in 354 posts

Default Make your own Greek style Yoghurt at home

Hi Friends,

When the Covid restrictions hit Australia, we started making our own Yoghurt at home. I got so used to the process by now that we still do it. It's a great feeling to do things yourself and you save some money in the process.

As a kid, I lived in Poland during the Soviet Communistic era. During those times there wasn't much food to purchase in shops and the Poles had to be very resourceful and always prepped for any scenario. When you needed something from the shops you had to pay with government coupons and wait in lines. Sometimes the stock was there, and sometimes it was sold out by the time you got served.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sklep.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	50999

Here is my recipe for Greek-style yoghurt. This type of yoghurt is much thicker and creamier than your ordinary yoghurt which has more whey in it. If you like yours runnier use less milk powder or just use ordinary milk.

The average fermentation process is about 10 hours. You will need a temperature-controlled container. You can achieve this by several methods.

The most simple is to use a pot on the stove at a specific temperature. I haven't tried this method.

Another method that is pretty good is to use a Yoghurt maker where you pour boiling water and leave it overnight. I have a friend who used to be a nurse and now lives in a van. He uses this method and it works. He just boils the water in the van and once done has a battery-operated fridge to keep it chilled.

Instead of using the sachets, he uses my recipe and it works perfectly.

I personally use one of these. Cost me $40 AUD on special and I can do other recipes.

https://www.kitchenwarehouse.com.au/...rmenter-2-in-1

Any method will work. The whole point of it, that is must be above a certain temperature and kept at it for a certain amount of time usually it's about 10 hours.

So here is the recipe. For your first time, you will need a store-bought starter yoghurt. Go with a natural Greek Style yoghurt. This is the one that I used.

https://www.coles.com.au/product/jal...rt-2kg-5763167

1 x 150ml of the above yoghurt or any other natural Greek yoghurt
    1 x 1.35 litres of water
    1 x 250 grams of powdered milk

I use this cheap powdered milk, you can use any other powdered milk if you want just an ordinary yoghurt, just substitute the powdered milk with liquid milk (1.35 litres of milk).

https://www.coles.com.au/product/col...er-1kg-7910535

Mix everything up, place it in your desired container, set it to the appropriate temperate (temperature range between 110° and 115°F/43° and 46°C) and wait 10 hours. I leave it overnight, once the 10 hours are up, just place it into your fridge to cool down.

And you're ready to go.

Here is a photo of the last batch I did a few days ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	yoghurt.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	50998

If you want another batch, just use 150ml of your existing yoghurt (from your last batch) and mix in the other ingredients and repeat the process.

If for any reason you spoil the starter, just go to the shops and get another Greek Yoghurt and start all over. I already did this once, make sure you clean everything with soapy water in between batches.

Enjoy.

Any questions, ask me here.

Cheers,
    Szymon
    Last edited by Szymon; 26th June 2023 at 05:51.

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Szymon For This Post:

Bill Ryan (7th June 2023), BushPilot (10th June 2023), Did You See Them (7th June 2023), George (7th June 2023), gini (7th June 2023), Harmony (7th June 2023), Ioneo (11th June 2023), Jambo (10th June 2023), John'sKatya (10th June 2023), Kryztian (6th June 2023), Mercedes (7th June 2023), Miller (7th June 2023), Nenuphar (13th June 2023), Pam (10th June 2023), Peace in Oz (6th June 2023), Sue (Ayt) (10th June 2023), Vangelo (7th June 2023), wondering (7th June 2023), yiolas (26th June 2023)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,328 times in 918 posts

Default Re: Make your own Greek style Yoghurt at home

I make my own coconut kefir/yoghurt a few times a week.
    Here in Thailand there are different brands coconutmilk ,some are supercreamy,and then the yoghurt becomes thick like greek yoghurt !
    Can start with most of the milkkefirs ,(or dry yoghurtbacterias),same as normal yoghurt:i use a fifth of old yoghurt ,let it stand in room temperature(the warmer the faster!)for 8/12 hours,then in the fridge to stop the process.Delicious & nutritional!

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to gini For This Post:

Bill Ryan (7th June 2023), Did You See Them (7th June 2023), Harmony (7th June 2023), Jambo (10th June 2023), Mercedes (7th June 2023), Miller (7th June 2023), Nenuphar (13th June 2023), Pam (10th June 2023), Peace in Oz (7th June 2023), Sue (Ayt) (10th June 2023), Szymon (7th June 2023)

5. Link to Post #3
    Vanuatu On Sabbatical
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,190 times in 354 posts

Quote Posted by gini (here)
    Here in Thailand there are different brands coconutmilk ,some are supercreamy,and then the yoghurt becomes thick like greek yoghurt !
    Can start with most of the milkkefirs ,(or dry yoghurtbacterias),same as normal yoghurt:i use a fifth of old yoghurt ,let it stand in room temperature(the warmer the faster!)for 8/12 hours,then in the fridge to stop the process.Delicious & nutritional!
    Hi Gini,

Thanks for the post.

So your recipe is to mix coconut milk with 1/5 of Yoghurt and leave it for 8/12 hours at room temperature?

If the above is right.

Can I use coconut milk in a can?

Szymon

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Szymon For This Post:

Bill Ryan (7th June 2023), Did You See Them (7th June 2023), gini (10th June 2023), Harmony (7th June 2023), Jambo (10th June 2023), Mercedes (7th June 2023), Miller (7th June 2023), Pam (10th June 2023)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,328 times in 918 posts

Quote Posted by Szymon (here)
    Quote Posted by gini (here)
    Hi Gini,

Thanks for the post.

So your recipe is to mix coconut milk with 1/5 of Yoghurt and leave it for 8/12 hours at room temperature?

If the above is right.

Can I use coconut milk in a can?

Szymon
    Just saw this post & question..yes as a starter use normal kefir or yoghurt and any kind of coconutmilk ,after you just use a fifth (more or less) of the cocokefir to make next batch.roomtemp say 25 is fine..

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gini For This Post:

Harmony (10th June 2023), Jambo (10th June 2023), Pam (10th June 2023), Sue (Ayt) (10th June 2023), Szymon (10th June 2023)

9. Link to Post #5
    Great Britain Avalon Member Jambo's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 times in 166 posts

Quote Posted by Szymon (here)
    Hi Friends,

When the Covid restrictions hit Australia, we started making our own Yoghurt at home. I got so used to the process by now that we still do it. It's a great feeling to do things yourself and you save some money in the process.

As a kid, I lived in Poland during the Soviet Communistic era. During those times there wasn't much food to purchase in shops and the Poles had to be very resourceful and always prepped for any scenario. When you needed something from the shops you had to pay with government coupons and wait in lines. Sometimes the stock was there, and sometimes it was sold out by the time you got served.

Attachment 50999

Here is my recipe for Greek-style yoghurt. This type of yoghurt is much thicker and creamier than your ordinary yoghurt which has more whey in it. If you like yours runnier use less milk powder or just use ordinary milk.

The average fermentation process is about 10 hours. You will need a temperature-controlled container. You can achieve this by several methods.

The most simple is to use a pot on the stove at a specific temperature. I haven't tried this method.

Another method that is pretty good is to use a Yoghurt maker where you pour boiling water and leave it overnight. I have a friend who used to be a nurse and now lives in a van. He uses this method and it works. He just boils the water in the van and once done has a battery-operated fridge to keep it chilled.

Instead of using the sachets, he uses my recipe and it works perfectly.

I personally use one of these. Cost me $40 AUD on special and I can do other recipes.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/davis-wa...-in-1_p0156793

Any method will work. The whole point of it, that is must be above a certain temperature and kept at it for a certain amount of time usually it's about 10 hours.

So here is the recipe. For your first time, you will need a store-bought starter yoghurt. Go with a natural Greek Style yoghurt. This is the one that I used.

https://www.coles.com.au/product/jal...rt-2kg-5763167

1 x 150ml of the above yoghurt or any other natural Greek yoghurt
    1 x 1.35 litres of water
    1 x 250 grams of powdered milk

I use this cheap powdered milk, you can use any other powdered milk if you want just an ordinary yoghurt, just substitute the powdered milk with liquid milk (1.35 litres of milk).

https://www.coles.com.au/product/col...er-1kg-7910535

Mix everything up, place it in your desired container, set it to the appropriate temperate (temperature range between 110° and 115°F/43° and 46°C) and wait 10 hours. I leave it overnight, once the 10 hours are up, just place it into your fridge to cool down.

And you're ready to go.

Here is a photo of the last batch I did a few days ago.

Attachment 50998

If you want another batch, just use 150ml of your existing yoghurt (from your last batch) and mix in the other ingredients and repeat the process.

If for any reason you spoil the starter, just go to the shops and get another Greek Yoghurt and start all over. I already did this once, make sure you clean everything with soapy water in between batches.

Enjoy.

Any questions, ask me here.

Cheers,
    Szymon

I'll definitely give this a go. Never thought of adding some milk powder to increase the thickness/ richness.
    Thanks.

I was taught to make yoghurt as a kid, as it was simple.
    Warm some milk to body temp, put in a thermos flask, and then add two dollops of BIO-yoghurt (as the culture is still alive).
    Put the lid on, then next day you had more yoghurt.

It was never thick or creamy though. So I'll give this a try.
    I'll add powdered milk, or try using coconut cream in it. Possibly both together!

Now all I need is a great tzatziki recipe.
    Last edited by Jambo; 11th June 2023 at 17:42. Reason: spelling

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jambo For This Post:

gini (15th June 2023), Harmony (10th June 2023), jaded joules (10th June 2023), Sue (Ayt) (10th June 2023), Szymon (10th June 2023), Vangelo (11th June 2023)

+ Reply to Thread