Thread: Millions of Songs

1. Link to Post #1
    Ireland Avalon Member JackMcThorn's Avatar
    Language
    I talk american
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,466 times in 572 posts

Default Millions of Songs

The challenge is to broaden one’s exposure to as much different music that is possible. In a world where there has been millions of songs that have made it to production, the competition is intensely fierce for a good reason. You may find music is the key to your soul or you might find it to be medicine for your mental health. There really is no wrong answer. But in the scheme of millions of choices, making the right choice to listen can itself be a daunting decision. Occasionally, it may take a few tries of listening to a song in order for you to realise that you like it. While others could become an instant favourite. Either way, these choices present a personal collection.
    When I am scanning choices of musical pieces or songs, I look for particular aspects that will be an aid to my mood. Not so much to elevate my psyche, but perhaps to enhance it. I find that I can absorb a wide range of selections. Considering that life is too short to listen to bad music, I have a mixture of different types of music to select that range from classical to rock; from electronic to oldies. The modern era has produced some of the very best sounds one could find. Some of these selections have millions or even billions of views online while another favourite only has just under 4,ooo views. The range is virtually unlimited.
    I particularly enjoy a woman’s singing voice. The sounds are usually graceful and pleasing to the ear. Years of practice are evident in these works. These types of sounds are relaxing which is a benefit to my mood. Many of the voices that I listen to are a remarkable conveyor of thoughts with beats that are instigators of motion. I find from many artists that I usually will like at least one of their productions sometimes out of decades of published works. This adds up to a personal listing of hundreds of favourite songs, which in the scheme of millions of pieces is absolutely nothing. In my lifetime, I could only listen to such a small segment of music productions and my effort is spent on the absolute best I can find, even if it is merely a drop in the ocean of the available works. We will never hear every song at least one time.
    Irishness is not primarily a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition of being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it. ~ Conor C. O'Brien [1917-2oo8]

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to JackMcThorn For This Post:

Alekahn2 (9th August 2023), Denise/Dizi (15th August 2023), Dennis Leahy (9th September 2023), ExomatrixTV (8th August 2023), Franny (4th September 2023), haroldsails (8th August 2023), Inversion (8th August 2023), Johan (Keyholder) (8th August 2023), Mari (8th August 2023), Matthew (8th August 2023), Nasu (9th August 2023), rgray222 (8th August 2023), Tracie (Bodhicee) (10th August 2023)

3. Link to Post #2
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,027 times in 2,189 posts

Default Re: Millions of Songs

Music is an important aspect of my life and I have listened to a great variety of music over the years and continue to explore different music today. After a great deal of time, I realized that the human voice is one of the most beautiful and powerful instruments on the planet. While I will listen to a great variety of music my preference has been narrowed down to A cappella music, gregorian chant music, and moving choir music and I could listen to a good aria at any time.

There will never be enough time on this planet to explore it all.

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to rgray222 For This Post:

Alekahn2 (9th August 2023), Denise/Dizi (15th August 2023), Dennis Leahy (9th September 2023), ExomatrixTV (8th August 2023), Franny (4th September 2023), haroldsails (8th August 2023), Inversion (8th August 2023), JackMcThorn (8th August 2023), Matthew (8th August 2023), Nasu (9th August 2023)

5. Link to Post #3
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 127,215 times in 21,086 posts

Lightbulb Re: Millions of Songs

Many Avalonians contributed to the following highly recommendable Project Avalon Forum Thread:
    --

I personally met the composer of above YT video in Amsterdam 1997 interviewing him for our Radio & TV show and bought his CDs used it many times during mediations or making love with my girlfriend at the time
    • Listening to it so many times, am almost 100% sure it affected my brainwaves positively, so much so the "after effects" of it is to have much deeper more intense more profound vivid lucid dreaming.
    cheers,
    John 🦜🦋🌳

Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 9th August 2023 at 08:31.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Alekahn2 (9th August 2023), Denise/Dizi (15th August 2023), Dennis Leahy (9th September 2023), Franny (4th September 2023), Inversion (8th August 2023), JackMcThorn (8th August 2023), Matthew (8th August 2023), Nasu (9th August 2023), rgray222 (9th August 2023), Tracie (Bodhicee) (10th August 2023)

7. Link to Post #4
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,313 times in 4,085 posts

We still haven't listed every song that ever existed, and there's more being made every day.

I'm still only at about 1990, .. NEED EVEN MORE SONG THREADS THAN THIS!!

Good work Jack.

I like soft female vocals too, I'm lucky to be in a band with such vocals. We did an impromptu cover of one of the songs in this band below, who have super-epic soft vocals.

My Finest Hour - The Sundays, 1990

The world, it shows me up.

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Matthew For This Post:

Alekahn2 (9th August 2023), Denise/Dizi (15th August 2023), Dennis Leahy (9th September 2023), ExomatrixTV (8th August 2023), Franny (4th September 2023), Inversion (8th August 2023), JackMcThorn (8th August 2023), Nasu (9th August 2023), rgray222 (9th August 2023)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,834 times in 1,690 posts

This is an interesting article about the impact of female voices.

bunnystudio
    Quote A recent voice-over trend report revealed that demand for female voice is increasing. It showed that the number of new job postings for female voices is growing faster (24%) than the rate of new jobs posted for males (16%). And it’s a trend that is gaining momentum. In a traditionally male-dominated world of voice-over, why might this be happening? Will there come a time when demand for female voice exceeds that of the male voice?

Women don’t just buy for themselves; they also make purchasing decisions for the family and the household. In fact, women drive 70-80% of all consumer purchasing through a combination of buying power and influence!

This makes women the target audience for a lot of products, services and brands. Just turn on the TV or the radio; you’ll find that most of the advertising would be targeted at women.

Women also tend to listen and trust the opinions of other women; there’s an emotional connection and intimacy created by a woman just chatting with another woman (almost like friends). Women like the reliability of hearing from a person who is just like them.

Therefore, if you were pitching products and services to women, it would make sense to deliver the message in a female voice.

People in general, like and trust a female voice more
    Voice can be a very important tool to instill trust. And it was found that humans can decide on traits like trustworthiness and aggressiveness with one single word.

Psychologist Phil McAleer recorded 64 different people saying “Hello” and played the voices back to listeners. He found that the higher-pitched female voices were perceived as more trustworthy because high-pitched voices hint at confidence, without being too aggressive. The least trusted voice was the most low-pitched.

The most trusted voices also dropped their voices at the end of a phrase, as this indicated certainty.

Female voices are more soothing and melodic
    Soothing voices put people at ease. And when people feel comforted they are more inclined to trust.

Female voices are also more melodic; they are even processed in a different part of the brain. A University of Sheffield study found that female voices are processed in the part of the brain that processes music, while male voices are processed in the back of the brain, in an area known as the “mind’s eye”.

The sound of helpful intelligence
    Female voices can be perceived as intelligent, without the domineering and commanding edge of male voices.

In terms of communications content, this works well to persuade people that while the voice-over is an expert, she is also friendly and understanding. She serves as a guide for the viewer as opposed to an authoritarian leader or a boss. For corporate videos, explainer videos, e-learning and training materials, this is perfect.

And this nurturing, helpful trait is also why most of the technology we’ve come to rely on is female-voiced.

Think of Siri and Alexa and Google Home.

Researchers say that most people, male and female tend to prefer the warmth of the female voice, even with their AI.

Female voices make users feel as if technology is being helpful; it solves their problems for them in a soothing, non-confrontational way.

Male voices can be perceived as commanding; telling users what to do instead of pointing out solutions. While people enjoy the help, they still like to maintain some illusion of control over the process, rather than simply being told what to do.

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Inversion For This Post:

Alekahn2 (9th August 2023), Denise/Dizi (15th August 2023), Dennis Leahy (9th September 2023), ExomatrixTV (9th August 2023), Franny (4th September 2023), JackMcThorn (8th August 2023), Matthew (8th August 2023), Nasu (9th August 2023), rgray222 (9th August 2023), Sue (Ayt) (9th August 2023)

11. Link to Post #6
    Germany Avalon Member Open Minded Dude's Avatar
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,409 times in 647 posts

Regarding female voice(s) (and also since I am into folk / tribal / ethnic / world music a lot) this Slavic traditional choir gets me EVERY time:

Don't understand a word, but does it matter?

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Open Minded Dude For This Post:

Alekahn2 (9th August 2023), Denise/Dizi (15th August 2023), Dennis Leahy (9th September 2023), ExomatrixTV (9th August 2023), Franny (4th September 2023), JackMcThorn (9th August 2023), mizo (5th September 2023), Nasu (9th August 2023)

13. Link to Post #7
    United States On Sabbatical
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Millions of Songs

^^^ Open Minded Dude
    "Don't understand a word, but does it matter?"

Just beautiful. The power of the female voice moves me as well.

(from the You Tube comments: "It is a traditional Belarusian folk song from the middle ages about a group of swans at sea, being dispersed by an eagle.
    It's sung here by a Polish group"

"At the sea, blue sea
    There was a floating flock of white swans
    And where did the gray-white eagle come from?
    It dispersed the flock around the blue sea
    White down rose to heaven,
    Gray feathers fell on a green meadow
    And who will collect those feathers?
    ~a beautiful girl."

Back to topic...
    ~ "...burn for no reason, like a lamp in the daylight" ~

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Alekahn2 For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (15th August 2023), Dennis Leahy (9th September 2023), ExomatrixTV (9th August 2023), Franny (4th September 2023), JackMcThorn (9th August 2023), Nasu (9th August 2023), Open Minded Dude (10th August 2023)

15. Link to Post #8
    Language
    I talk american
    Thanks

I got a chance to be on the radio in this small town. Its a community not for profit radio station that is completely run by around 8o volunteers.

It should be next Sunday the 3rd of September at 4pm Irish time for 1 hour a show called the Spotlight. For the east coast of america it should be 11 am. It is pre-recorded.

I selected songs from Berlin to Johnny Cash to the Moody Blues and even the new Anna Maria X song Blind [it was not on their list but I think they can get it.]

So if you are so compelled, I invite you to spend an interesting hour listening to volunteer Radio at https://www.dundalkfm.com/

And please consider using this thread for discussions involving music or radio or whatever you are into; I realise many of the threads the music speaks for itself.
    Irishness is not primarily a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition of being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it. ~ Conor C. O'Brien [1917-2oo8]

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JackMcThorn For This Post:

Alekahn2 (10th September 2023), Dennis Leahy (9th September 2023), Franny (4th September 2023), Inversion (27th August 2023)

17. Link to Post #9
    Language
    I talk american
    Thanks

Quote Posted by JackMcThorn (here)
    I got a chance to be on the radio in this small town. Its a community not for profit radio station that is completely run by around 8o volunteers.
    The show is saved to Mix Cloud : https://www.mixcloud.com/DundalkFMMi...k-fm-20230903/

If you ever get a chance to do a little bit with a radio station, it is great fun and highly recommended. I had a blast and am currently learning how to do audio editing. Thanks for listening.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JackMcThorn For This Post:

Alekahn2 (10th September 2023), Dennis Leahy (9th September 2023), Franny (4th September 2023)

19. Link to Post #10
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,586 times in 5,817 posts

The female singing voice can mesmerize me, too. I'll list 3 very talented female singers/singer-songwriters that many people may not have heard yet:

Becky Bright, of the duo, Barnaby Bright. Dear God, that woman's voice moves me! Highly skilled, deadly accurate pitch, dynamic, and a stunningly beautiful timbre. I'd say, don't listen to her sing the song Donal Logue as your first taste of her, but do give it a spin after you've heard a few of her other songs. My reasoning is that I think it's her only song sung in the Irish language, different than all her other material. it's an amazing gem, but different than her other stuff. Some of her and husband Nathan Bright's tunes are pop (gotta make a living), some are kinda indie-folk. Give her a listen.

Angel Snow has a rich and lovely voice. She's a bit fixed in minor key, sad, relationship songs - but I'd let her cry on my shoulder anytime.

Lizzie McAlpine. One for the young at heart (and those that like to hear youth being youth), as she is a talented writer, writing about her experiences that are high-school age and early twenties age appropriate (like her medley about her reckless driver boyfriend.) Her purity of tone, accuracy, and scrumptious timbre make me believe she will grow into a superstar (she already sings at that level.) I have a daughter in her early 20s that introduced Lizzy's music to me, or I probably would not have stumbled upon her.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

Alekahn2 (10th September 2023), JackMcThorn (9th September 2023)

+ Reply to Thread