+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Numerous new ghost cities in China....

1. Link to Post #21
    United States Avalon Member loc333's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Numerous new ghost cities in China....

when the coast lines are destroyed,there goverment is prepared for whose ever left. what do they know we dont

2. Link to Post #22
    Australia Avalon Member str8thinker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 times in 530 posts

I don't think it's anything as sinister as that. This reminds me of Episode 4 of the 2007 BBC documentary Paul Merton in China, where he visits Thames Town on the outskirts of Shanghai.

Quote Thames town is an English style new satellite housing estate built close to Shanghai as part of the local governments ‘One City –Nine Towns’ plan. This plan was hatched out of the population boom being experienced in Shanghai. In the past 15 years the population has increased by 8 million and the landmass it covers has increased from 100sqkm to a staggering 680sqkm. Despite this growth Shanghai is still four times as densely populated as New York. The ‘One City –Nine Towns’ plan seeks to construct nine satellite housing estates around Shanghai. Six of these estates are to be themed on European style towns from the UK, the Netherlands, Germany, Spain, Sweden, and Italy. Following is a series of images from the English styled ‘town’, Thames Town.

When Thames Town was first announced it was to a tirade of ridicule in the West even featuring in the Channel Five series, “Paul Merton in China”, and receiving the fairly typical British response of finding it all a little quaint with an undertone of failure due to the largely empty nature of the town. The wholesale copying of both well-known and more obscure British establishments gave fuel to the arguments that China is a country of ‘knock-offs’ and that it lacks the imagination to create anything original. What these arguments miss is not only that China is a country only recently emerged onto the world market, and that the people still do not have a true freedom of speech, but also that these developments are constructed by Western firms. Thames Town was a commission won by Atkins, a British firm of architects working out of Hong Kong. That the development lacks originality and is a drive towards the suburban ideals often proclaimed in the West is as much a product of the British architects who are responsible for the design as the Chinese who now long to live in such surroundings.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davewya...7614242009810/
    Quote And Paul’s six-week tour is wrapped up with a homecoming – of a sort. His last stop is a bizarre, half-finished recreation of Britain called Thames Town, complete with Gothic cathedral, shops and pubs – all of them mere facades. The site is popular with couples who want their wedding photos taken against English backdrops, and Paul is even more bemused to learn that most of the houses are empty because they have been bought as investments rather than homes. “It’s very Chinese,” he says. “It’s all for show.”

http://www.tvthrong.co.uk/paul-merto...monday-june-11
    Beware the bearers of FALSE gifts & their BROKEN PROMISES. Much PAIN but still time. BELIEVE. There is GOOD out there. We OPpose DECEPTION. COnduit CLOSING.
    - Crabwood crop circle, 2002.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to str8thinker For This Post:

moais (11th February 2011)

4. Link to Post #23
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Default Re: China Ghost Towns

Will human stupidity EVER cease?

5. Link to Post #24
    Australia Avalon Member str8thinker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 times in 530 posts

There is a parallel thread here:
    https://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?13912
    Maybe they should be merged.
    Beware the bearers of FALSE gifts & their BROKEN PROMISES. Much PAIN but still time. BELIEVE. There is GOOD out there. We OPpose DECEPTION. COnduit CLOSING.
    - Crabwood crop circle, 2002.

6. Link to Post #25
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,710 times in 8,942 posts

I love those Chinese. Towns are buing build from greedy developers who put little material in it (I mean not secure building) that will make the buildings collapse at the slightest earthquake. So the Chinese don't buy in and stay put in their old crumbling, but standing up for eons, villages. And why would you go in a shopping center if you cannot affort it.

I love those Chinese. They don't buy into this mass consumption when it is pushed down their throats - if the govt wants it, it may be fishy (I hope this is what they think - Cayman, help me here).

I seen the same in Turkey and in the last huge eartquake there was 40,000 killed in buildings built rapidly without concern for security. Same in Haiti by the way.

I love these Chinese!!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Flash For This Post:

write4change (12th February 2011)

8. Link to Post #26
    Cayman Islands Deactivated
    Thanks

Ahemm... Not that I don't love the Chinese, but we're not very different ourselves. Here's one from Amerika:

As usual, we're a lot dumber than the Chinese. We build them and then tear them down just so we can build them again. At least they leave them up, so there's some promise that someone might use the ghost towns someday

--sjkted
    Last edited by sjkted; 12th February 2011 at 06:39.

9. Link to Post #27
    Thanks

Default Re: China Ghost Towns

Quote Posted by chrstian_indianapolis (here)
    buy didn't building those ghost towns make jobs? That's what china wants too, jobs. My question to you cayman is, what are they going to do with them? just make more and more and more, and just let them sit there?
    make some temp jobs doesn't mean an healthy endurable economy.
    I'm not sure what are they going to do with them, but base on the experience of 1990s housing bubble in few local southern cities. this ghost cities might be desert at first, a new plan will be initiated by the new mayor, tear down, rebuild---this Cycle happen in China by decade basis.

Quote Posted by chrstian_indianapolis (here)

also a side question. Whats the average pay in China?
    avarage income per year of Urban Residents’ Income is 21033 Yuan
    avarage income per year of Rural Residents’ Income is 5919 Yuan
    that is the officia statistics report of 2010
    http://www.stats.gov.cn/english/news..._402699463.htm
    http://www.stats.gov.cn/tjfx/jdfx/t2..._402699441.htm
    Last edited by cayman; 12th February 2011 at 12:32.

10. Link to Post #28
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Flash (here)
    ....I love those Chinese. They don't buy into this mass consumption when it is pushed down their throats - if the govt wants it, it may be fishy (I hope this is what they think - Cayman, help me here).

many don't want to buy into this stuff, but they have to. because whether you want it or not, the govt would tear down you old house, force you to buy or in many case--rent the new one. this the details about that: https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...l=1#post102075

11. Link to Post #29
    Palestinian Territory Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,637 times in 399 posts

And yet the city shown in the original article has a population of 7 and a half million. So either Wiki is inaccurate OR these are not entire ghost cities, merely ghost suburbs of already existing, heavily populated cities:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhengzhou

A quick picture search shows a very busy city indeed.

12. Link to Post #30
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 127,402 times in 21,107 posts

• The Secret behind China's Ghost Cities (May 14th, 2022 Update!):
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Arcturian108 (16th May 2022), Harmony (16th May 2022), Matthew (16th May 2022), meat suit (16th May 2022), onevoice (18th May 2022), pabranno (16th May 2022), Peace in Oz (17th May 2022)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2