+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Kybalion, by "The Three Initiates"

1. Link to Post #1
    Palestinian Territory Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,637 times in 399 posts

Default The Kybalion, by "The Three Initiates"

I've been meaning to make this post since I joined Avalon last year, yet every time I log on I find myself carried away by the tides of the highly informative waters that flow through here!

A few years back I came across a book that landed in my life at exactly the right moment I was ready to recieve it. It's called the Kybalion. Allegedly containing the Hermetic teachings of Hermes Trismegistus, who later became known as Thoth, it seeks to describe the Universe and All therein.

No easy task, yet seemingly successful! It's a fairly quick read for anyone interested. Many here will have surpassed this stage in their thinking, or entirely disagree with its' content, but I''m sure it will have some validity for someone here, as it did for me.......

You can read it online here:

http://www.hermetics.org/pdf/kybalion.pdf

I've put a brief outline of contents below, so anyone can see if it "floats their boat, tickles their pickle, or takes their fancy"!

The Kybalion

“The Principles of Truth are Seven; he who knows these, understandingly, possesses the Magic Key before whose touch all the Doors of the Temple fly open.”–The Kybalion.

The Seven Hermetic Principles, upon which the entire Hermetic Philosophy is based, are as follows:

I. THE PRINCIPLE OF MENTALISM.
    II. THE PRINCIPLE OF CORRESPONDENCE.
    III. THE PRINCIPLE OF VIBRATION.
    IV. THE PRINCIPLE OF POLARITY.
    V. THE PRINCIPLE OF RHYTHM.
    VI. THE PRINCIPLE OF CAUSE AND EFFECT.
    VII. THE PRINCIPLE OF GENDER.

I. THE PRINCIPLE OF MENTALISM.
    “THE ALL is MIND; The Universe is Mental.”–The Kybalion.

II. THE PRINCIPLE OF CORRESPONDENCE.
    “As above, so below; as below, so above.”–The Kybalion.

III. THE PRINCIPLE OF VIBRATION.
    “Nothing rests; everything moves; everything vibrates.”–The Kybalion.

IV. THE PRINCIPLE OF POLARITY.
    “Everything is Dual; everything has poles; everything has its pair of opposites; like and unlike are the same; opposites are identical in nature, but different in degree; extremes meet; all truths are but half-truths; all paradoxes may be reconciled.”–The Kybalion.

V. THE PRINCIPLE OF RHYTHM.
    “Everything flows, out and in; everything has its tides; all things rise and fall; the pendulum-swing manifests in everything; the measure of the swing to the right is the measure of the swing to the left; rhythm compensates.”– The Kybalion.

VI. THE PRINCIPLE OF CAUSE AND EFFECT.
    “Every Cause has its Effect; every Effect has its Cause; everything happens according to Law; Chance is but a name for Law not recognized; there are many planes of causation, but nothing escapes the Law.”–The Kybalion.

VII. THE PRINCIPLE OF GENDER.
    “Gender is in everything; everything has its Masculine and Feminine Principles; Gender manifests on all
    planes.”–The Kybalion.

I sincerely hope you enjoy!

http://www.hermetics.org/pdf/kybalion.pdf

2. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,868 times in 752 posts

Default Re: The Kybalion, by "The Three Initiates"

I read this book Kybalion.

I have to say that is very interesting. I honestly need to read it again, cause this is no ordinary book. Although I recommend it to anyone and you can all make up your mind.

I believe is worth it if you apply the info correctly. Cause at the end of the day is only info.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to seko For This Post:

777 (8th March 2011), cursichella1 (4th December 2020), Lunesoleil (3rd December 2020)

4. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

Quote Posted by seko (here)
    I read this book Kybalion.

I have to say that is very interesting. I honestly need to read it again, cause this is no ordinary book. Although I recommend it to anyone and you can all make up your mind.

I believe is worth it if you apply the info correctly. Cause at the end of the day is only info.
    Very well said. I would also like to add that, despite it being merely info, it remains strangely applicable with everything I seem to experience. The Experiential world is entirely subjective though, so discernment required as always!

Thanks Seko.

5. Link to Post #4
    Sao Tome Unsubscribed
    where ever there is a smile, ill be there :-)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,412 times in 1,702 posts

Ooooh vunderbah ! Das is goot ! Danker

6. Link to Post #5
    Switzerland On Sabbatical
    Thanks

Thanks for this post, 777! Another book that expounds a bit more on these principles is called "Ancient Future" by Wayne Chandler.

I find the principle of Correspondence very interesting especially with the explanation of the Three Great Planes.

Each time that I read through the Kyballion, I see something else that I missed.

I sense that the 7 chakras may also be related as each of the chakras is a specific plane of consciouness but I am still studying this.

Thanks again.
    Peace
    “To be or become a master is to be or become something other than the Flow; something other than the Present Unfolding. It’s actually to move in the wrong direction.”

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nortreb For This Post:

777 (8th March 2011)

8. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Nortreb (here)
    Thanks for this post, 777! Another book that expounds a bit more on these principles is called "Ancient Future" by Wayne Chandler.

I find the principle of Correspondence very interesting especially with the explanation of the Three Great Planes.

Each time that I read through the Kyballion, I see something else that I missed.

I sense that the 7 chakras may also be related as each of the chakras is a specific plane of consciouness but I am still studying this.

Thanks again.
    Peace
    I'll have a look for that book Nortreb, sounds fascinating! I also find something new each time I read it even though it's so small. Bizarre isn't it?!

It's quite interesting if you number the chakras backwards. So principle one" "The universe is mental", becomes the crown chakra, which makes sense. Vibration in the throat, gender in the root. Makes sense but I'm no authority on it lol! I'd be really intrigued if you do dig up anything on this though Nortreb.......

9. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

I will let you know and post what I come up with.

Have you also noticed that the atual Kybalion sayings are just a few sentences but so much thought can spring from them.

There may also a possible connection with Kyballion with Kabala. Note the spelling in English. Although there are 10 sephira in the Tree of Life. The last 7 are affected by the upper 3 which makes wild connection perhaps.

I have a truck load of notes but I have to tweek the truck load down to a bicyle seat! LOL!

Peace
    “To be or become a master is to be or become something other than the Flow; something other than the Present Unfolding. It’s actually to move in the wrong direction.”

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Nortreb For This Post:

777 (9th March 2011)

11. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

I will let you know and post what I come up with.

Have you also noticed that the atual Kybalion sayings are just a few sentences but so much thought can spring from them.

There may also a possible connection with Kyballion with Kabala. Note the spelling in English. Although there are 10 sephira in the Tree of Life. The last 7 are affected by the upper 3 which makes wild connection perhaps.

I have a truck load of notes but I have to tweek the truck load down to a bicyle seat! LOL!

Peace
    Yeah Nanoo Nanno has just used a very apt phrase for it: " it is so beautifully all and nothing in the same moment !" I think this sums it up perfectly!

I know what you mean about the Kaballah aswell, I'd made a paralell there just like you. I would make a very wooly un-educated guess that if you look at the ritualistic practices of all mystery schools and hardcore "inner" religions, they would all have roots in Egypt and then similarly regressing from there.

Big claim, but a fair guess me thinks!

12. Link to Post #9
    UK Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by 777 (here)
    I know what you mean about the Kaballah aswell, I'd made a paralell there just like you. I would make a very wooly un-educated guess that if you look at the ritualistic practices of all mystery schools and hardcore "inner" religions, they would all have roots in Egypt and then similarly regressing from there.
    This is fact, you are absolutely correct. Almost all the major mystery schools have their roots in Egypt and the Qabalah is absolutely core. You will also find that the Kyballion is on the reading lists of many of the large esoteric and occult groups.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FraterJames For This Post:

777 (9th March 2011)

14. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

Quote Posted by FraterJames (here)
    This is fact, you are absolutely correct. Almost all the major mystery schools have their roots in Egypt and the Qabalah is absolutely core. You will also find that the Kyballion is on the reading lists of many of the large esoteric and occult groups.
    I suspected as much! In fact this edition of the Kybalion was printed by the Masonic Temple in Chicago.......

15. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

Hey 777,

I have been researching this topic consistently for 3 years now. I will use the SWAG principal in looking at the pieces to the puzzle so far that I have found to state that what we are referring to is a culture that is pre Dynastic Egypt that was heavily influenced by possibly Atlantis. The key is the Sphinx which has not been correctly carbon dated due to the current mind set in Egypt. Correct carbon dating will cause them to question their beliefs/religion and we can't have that, can we!

So according to my SWAG principal, Egypt was the trunk that created all of the branches(Mystery schools, Masons, Relgion). The roots are well hidden when you relate to Charles's reference to hidden knowledge.

BTW. SWAG is Scientific Wild A*s Guess!
    Last edited by Nortreb; 9th March 2011 at 13:44.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Nortreb For This Post:

777 (9th March 2011)

17. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

Hey 777,

I have been researching this topic consistently for 3 years now. I will use the SWAG principal in looking at the pieces to the puzzle so far that I have found to state that what we are referring to is a culture that is pre Dynastic Egypt that was heavily influenced by possibly Atlantis. The key is the Sphinx which has not been correctly carbon dated due to the current mind set in Egypt. Correct carbon dating will cause them to question their beliefs/religion and we can't have that, can we!

So according to my SWAG principal, Egypt was the trunk that created all of the branches(Mystery schools, Masons, Relgion). The roots are well hidden when you relate to Charles's reference to hidden knowledge.

BTW. SWAG is Scientific Wild A*s Guess!
    What was Charles's reference to hidden knowledge? I gave up following those threads.......

What you say makes a lot of sense though. I can't see any other explanation for such massive similarities in religious ritual, creed and culture. And those at the top of their religious hierarchies seem to be almost homogenous in ritual!

@ SWAG!

18. Link to Post #13
    UK Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

So according to my SWAG principal, Egypt was the trunk that created all of the branches(Mystery schools, Masons, Relgion).
    To add a quick note - a well known esoteric/occult view is that when Atlantis fell 3 seperate groups left Atlantis and each group settled in a different location. 1 of these groups took the Atlantean knowledge to Egypt. Therefor your theory certainly seems to make sense in this regard.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FraterJames For This Post:

777 (9th March 2011), Lord Sidious (9th March 2011), Nortreb (9th March 2011)

20. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

I recieved a pm from Nortreb earlier. Some great research here which I hope he won't mind me sharing for the furtherment of this thread. Good work sir!

"Hey 777,
    I assembled something for you to take a look at and see what you come up with. We can compare notes later.

Seven Hermetic Principles Hindu Seven Grades of Being Seven Astral Centers
    I. THE PRINCIPLE OF MENTALISM. Atma/Pure Ego Sahasrara (Conarium plexus) Pineal Gland/All Seeing Eye

II. THE PRINCIPLE OF CORRESPONDENCE. Budhi/ Intuition Anja (Cavarnous plexus) Pituitary/Ascending Ascending light/Sixth Sense

III. THE PRINCIPLE OF VIBRATION. Higher Manas/Abstract Intellect Vishuddha (Pharyngeal plexus) Adam's Apple

IV. THE PRINCIPLE OF POLARITY. Lower Manas/Concrete mentality Anahata (Cardiac plexus) Blood vascular system
    V. THE PRINCIPLE OF RHYTHM. Astral Vehicle Manipura (Solar plexus) Sympathetic Nervous System

VI. THE PRINCIPLE OF CAUSE AND EFFECT. Etheric Double Svadhishthana (Prostatic plexus) starting point of Ida and Pingala Nadis

VII. THE PRINCIPLE OF GENDER. Physical Body Muladhara(Sacral Plexus)-Power Pole of cerebro-spinal system
    "

21. Link to Post #15
    UK Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

I recieved a pm from Nortreb earlier. Some great research here which I hope he won't mind me sharing for the furtherment of this thread. Good work sir!

[B][I]"Hey 777,
    I assembled something for you to take a look at and see what you come up with. We can compare notes later.

Seven Hermetic Principles Hindu Seven Grades of Being Seven Astral Centers...
    To add to this, the Sephiroth of the Tree of Life can also be mapped against parts of the body and there is some overlapping of the Sephiroth and the Chakras.

To add my 2 cents and imho, although aspects of Eastern traditions cross over with Western hermetic traditions and no doubt influenced it, when looking at the Western hermetic tradition it is worth remembering that the lineage lies with the Qabalah as opposed to Eastern literature.

I feel that this is an important point to make: instead of viewing the Western and Eastern systems as 2 completely separate teachings, we should view it as the same core principles packaged differently (and appropriately) for each race.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to FraterJames For This Post:

Lord Sidious (16th March 2011)

23. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

Quote Posted by FraterJames (here)

To add to this, the Sephiroth of the Tree of Life can also be mapped against parts of the body and there is some overlapping of the Sephiroth and the Chakras.

To add my 2 cents and imho, although aspects of Eastern traditions cross over with Western hermetic traditions and no doubt influenced it, when looking at the Western hermetic tradition it is worth remembering that the lineage lies with the Qabalah as opposed to Eastern literature.

I feel that this is an important point to make: instead of viewing the Western and Eastern systems as 2 completely separate teachings, we should view it as the same core principles packaged differently (and appropriately) for each race.
    I totally, fundamentally and implicitly agree with this last statement. With even just a toe dipped into the waters of this subject, it's clear that there is massive correspondance between Eastern and Western traditions and magick systems. A gap which Aleister Crowley bridged very well in his research.

24. Link to Post #17
    UK Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

I totally, fundamentally and implicitly agree with this last statement. With even just a toe dipped into the waters of this subject, it's clear that there is massive correspondance between Eastern and Western traditions and magick systems. A gap which Aleister Crowley bridged very well in his research.
    You are so so right (Imho)

One additional point which I personally find important/interesting is that certain symbols have more meaning to the subconscious of certain races due to the group soul. Consequently we will find easier success with traditions specific to our lineage as the symbols used are intrinsically more powerful to us. It is often suggested that this is why certain people lean towards one system more than another and why there are so few Westerners who have made it in the high rankings of Eastern esotericism; and vice-versa.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FraterJames For This Post:

777 (16th March 2011), Nortreb (27th March 2011)

26. Link to Post #18
    United States Avalon Member silvervioletrubie's Avatar
    Thanks

If you have read the kybalion and found its principals to be informative, George Greens handbook will make allot of sense. As well, understanding aether becomes clearer to the curious.

27. Link to Post #19
    United States Avalon Member The Mad spirtualist's Avatar
    Thanks

If you like the Seven Hermetic Principals then you will thoroughly enjoy "The Stellar Man" by John Baines. To me this book says it ALL! I continue to read and study it. These two sites are good too!
    http://www.montalk.net/
    http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/esp_finalidad.htm

In fact I'm looking for a Hermetic Master if anyone knows one!!!!!!!!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to The Mad spirtualist For This Post:

silvervioletrubie (4th April 2011)

29. Link to Post #20
    United States Avalon Member bearcow's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,055 times in 472 posts

Quote Posted by The Mad spirtualist (here)
    In fact I'm looking for a Hermetic Master if anyone knows one!!!!!!!!

franz bardon is worth looking into

this book is also good
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/321378/A-S...lonna-Walewski

30. The Following User Says Thank You to bearcow For This Post:

silvervioletrubie (4th April 2011)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast