+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chernobyl - what nuclear power costs

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,543 times in 2,615 posts

Default Chernobyl - what nuclear power costs

I really had not paid much attention at all to chernobyl. Of course I knew it was a painful deal but I never read much on it or saw many reports.

Then I came across this today... if kind of blew my mind how many people were affected..
    Some are saying that the meltdowns in Japan may turn out much more extensive than Chernobly. This is a very powerful photo essay. Be ready to view the worst and to understand how severe it is and will continue to be.

http://inmotion.magnumphotos.com/essay/chernobyl#

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Arrowwind For This Post:

Bill Ryan (26th March 2023), ceetee9 (17th March 2011), Franny (26th March 2023), jcocks (17th March 2011), Johnnycomelately (26th March 2023), Lettherebelight (15th April 2011), meeradas (17th March 2011)

3. Link to Post #2
    Language
    germanic
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,845 times in 3,177 posts

Default Re: Chernobyl - what nuclear power costs

Quote Posted by Arrowwind (here)
    I really had not paid much attention at all to chernobyl. Of course I knew it was a painful deal but I never read much on it or saw many reports.
    Then this is for you [and all who feel they should/must pay attention now]:

Ghost Town

- no words -

If you need to see more.... go to this site - strongly recommended.

Last edited by meeradas; 17th March 2011 at 08:14. Reason: change vid

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to meeradas For This Post:

Arrowwind (17th March 2011), Bill Ryan (26th March 2023), ceetee9 (17th March 2011), Maria Stade (17th March 2011)

5. Link to Post #3
    Sweden Avalon Member Maria Stade's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,626 times in 854 posts

All the power plants around the ring of fire should be closed down.

Right NOW !

And all other on the planet to. They are safe until they are not.

The radiant stuff goes by wind and rain to distant places !

All growing plants all animals are then radiant.

Strange mutations on plants and other living things for many years !

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Maria Stade For This Post:

Arrowwind (17th March 2011), Bill Ryan (26th March 2023), giovonni (17th March 2011), Lettherebelight (15th April 2011), Lord Sidious (19th March 2011), meeradas (17th March 2011)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Thanks Meeradas, some of the photos were the same as in the link I provided... but the song gave it a new depth.

These photos look old now... I wonder how things go in that area these days? Have all the people left? Are children still born defected?
    Are they all dead? Is the area fully closed off, and if so for how many miles?

Japan has suffered so much already over its more recent history since the war... experts are saying the radiation from a nuclear plant is so much more destructive than that from H bombs, of which they had two.. the reactors could be many hundreds of times more powerful.... we will not know the truth of the matter for a while I guess... we must wade throught the lies and propaganda and wait to see what really happens.

I have written on other threads that in the USA they have been amping up and preparing for a resurgence of nuclear reactor construction... the preliminary stages are in motion.. Do a search on Areva and Idaho and you will see.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arrowwind For This Post:

Bill Ryan (26th March 2023), Maria Stade (18th March 2011)

9. Link to Post #5
    Language
    germanic
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,845 times in 3,177 posts

Quote Posted by Arrowwind (here)
    These photos look old now... I wonder how things go in that area these days? Have all the people left? Are children still born defected?
    Are they all dead? Is the area fully closed off, and if so for how many miles?
    Arrowwind, there's plenty of answers (and newer photos) on Elena's website - just dig a little; here's the link again: http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/ki...cherlinks.html

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to meeradas For This Post:

Arrowwind (18th March 2011), Bill Ryan (26th March 2023), giovonni (17th March 2011), Maria Stade (18th March 2011)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

This 18 page article is a further eye opener. Click on the Chernobyl button in the left hand column to find it.

http://www.llrc.org/index.html

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arrowwind For This Post:

Bill Ryan (26th March 2023), meeradas (18th March 2011)

13. Link to Post #7
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 95,891 times in 15,481 posts

Yes Maria, that industry as never been safe; never mind not foreseeing what to do with the radioactive waste.

Yet, Qui bono?

There was a mining industry pushing it, a financed research program behind it in many countries in order to be "energy independent" while squashing "free energy."

Quote Posted by Maria Stade (here)
    All the power plants around the ring of fire should be closed down.

Right NOW !

And all other on the planet to. They are safe until they are not.

The radiant stuff goes by wind and rain to distant places !

All growing plants all animals are then radiant.

Strange mutations on plants and other living things for many years !
    Now, let's have look at the next steps which could be envisioned...

While keeping free energy squashed; a moratorium and nuclear energy, maybe (Chavez apparently froze his nuclear program, Merkel, etc.)?

Getting the AL Gore type of environment organizations at work to shut down not only the nuclear power plants but the coal ones as well. So, what's left?

Getting oil at $200.00/barrel a la Lindey Williams... maybe?

Problem... Reaction... Profitable solution.

Again: Qui bono?

Any need to mention taking advantage of the predicted and coming earth changes to enhance earth depopulation programs by "accidental" irradiation of the environment? Yet many governments pushed for these nuclear programs despite being in the know of these changes.
    Last edited by Hervé; 18th March 2011 at 06:48.
    "La réalité est un rêve que l'on fait atterrir" San Antonio AKA F. Dard

Troll-hood motto: Never, ever, however, whatsoever, to anyone, a point concede.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Bill Ryan (26th March 2023)

15. Link to Post #8
    Sweden Avalon Member Maria Stade's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,626 times in 854 posts

There could be big movements of new energy sorces.

Also there should be a movement of old energy sorce like use of the methane gas !

Wind , and water is already well known !

And water is another energy sorce that can not only be used for cars.

And why not turn pastic back to oil ?

There are lots of new ways !

Magnetic power is a nother ! Why not start playing at home and just figure it out !

https://youtube.com/watch?v=F2cZG...eature=related

Or maybe just by already made !

NO we do not need Power plants !

Maria

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maria Stade For This Post:

avid (26th March 2023), Bill Ryan (26th March 2023), Franny (26th March 2023), Lord Sidious (19th March 2011)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,513 times in 32,788 posts

There are a number of Chernobyl-titled Avalon threads (all easy to search for and find), but this seemed the most appropriate for me to share this outstanding (and moving) 2006 documentary.

The True Battle of Chernobyl, Uncensored: 2006, director Thomas Johnson

I'd thought I'd watch maybe just the beginning, as I was wanting to better understand exactly.how the accident happened.

The documentary only refers to that very briefly (it was a series of operator errors by the technicians who were conducting what should have been a routine shut-down test) — but then I became riveted by the detailed and rare (and awful!) archive footage, together with a number of interviews with people who were directly and personally involved at the time and who had somehow survived. (Gorbachev was interviewed as well, which I found equally absorbing.)

The channel showing the documentary is called The Horror Movie Archive — and this is fitting. I thought I knew quite a bit about Chernobyl, but here I learned a whole bunch more. I couldn't take my eyes away from it for the whole 90 minutes.

It's a story about true heroism, and as the documentary unfolds one can clearly see the character of the soviet people all doing whatever they possibly could to deal with what was a desperate, massive catastrophe.

Gorbachev mobilized a literal army of 500,000 (FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND) people, both military and civilians. They all fought valiantly to bring the crisis under some kind of control, which took many months and all kinds of trial-and-error failures. Tens of thousands of them died soon after. Half of them (200,000) were handicapped in various ways or suffered serious chronic health issues. And that's 2006 data.

In one extraordinary series of archived films and photos, teams of men who can only be called heroes who very likely did not survive, were timed to spend exactly 45 seconds each, encased in improvised lead suits weighing as much as 60-80 kg, shoveling deadly radioactive waste off the roof of one of the buildings. (They had previously tried to use remotely controlled robotic devices, but they failed when the electronics were all fried. Humans had to do the job instead. Yhere was no other option.)

One factor, which I hadn't been aware of, was a frantic race against time as the white-hot radioactive magma (the molten nuclear core) was slowly melting its way down towards an underground lake of water that had been formed by desperate early firefighting attempts. And below that, was a major aquifer.

If and when the magma reached the water — a 'China Syndrome' kind of event — there would likely have been a second and far more major nuclear explosion with similar effects to that of a 3.5 to 4 megaton nuclear bomb. The radiation from that would have poisoned much of Europe.

Besides the deaths or critical injuries to several hundred thousand extraordinarily brave people, the entire thing cost the Soviet Union 18 billion rubles, at a time when one ruble pretty much equaled one US dollar.

Gorbachev in his interview stated that this was one of the factors that bankrupted the USSR at the time, resulting in its downfall, and also stimulated him personally to agree with Reagan to work towards eliminating nuclear weapons of war.

If anyone is interested in this — and things like this could happen again — I totally promise you that you'll find the film as spellbinding and absorbing as I did.

There's another message too, at a time now when the western media is propagandizing everyone everywhere to somehow despise all Russians, and everything that is Russian.

The quality, spirit, intelligence and humanity of those people shines from the film.
    And we have to remember that Chernobyl was and is in Ukraine, so the heroes we see are both Russian and Ukrainian. There were no such divisions then. It's just so very, very self-evident.

Last edited by Tintin; 29th May 2023 at 20:50. Reason: Replaced removed YouTube video and added library copy

18. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

avid (26th March 2023), Bruce G Charlton (26th March 2023), Chris Gilbert (26th March 2023), Ernie Nemeth (26th March 2023), Ewan (26th March 2023), Franny (26th March 2023), Johnnycomelately (26th March 2023), kudzy (26th March 2023), Michi (26th March 2023), ronny (26th March 2023), Tintin (26th March 2023), Yoda (26th March 2023)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 98,562 times in 9,592 posts

Putting this here as I don’t know where else it may belong.

https://x.com/historyinmemes/status/1740619373814108569

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Ravenlocke For This Post:

Bill Ryan (31st December 2023)

+ Reply to Thread