+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 6 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know how to protect electronics from a massive solar flare?

1. Link to Post #21
    Language
    Poor english
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,972 times in 737 posts

Default Re: faraday cage?

Pin`n`eal, In the uk we have earth straps connected to our water pipes, an old file cabinet connected to one of the earthing straps should work in the same was as poking a copper rod into the ground. I have a metal shed in my garden which is also faraday prepped.
    Love. peace and Blessings to you all.

2. Link to Post #22
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,260 times in 3,618 posts

Quote Posted by Ammit (here)
    Pin`n`eal, In the uk we have earth straps connected to our water pipes, an old file cabinet connected to one of the earthing straps should work in the same was as poking a copper rod into the ground. I have a metal shed in my garden which is also faraday prepped.
    Dear Ammit,

Now you sound smart!!

3. Link to Post #23
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks

Ok, so I've got the spiritual worked out now it's time for the physical.
    Has anyone made a magnet motor?

4. Link to Post #24
    Language
    Poor english
    Thanks

Oh Ta.

Just make sure that what ever you put into your cage is isolated from the walls of the cage. In my file cabinet I have made plastic shelves. On these I have a Psion, a kindle full of books, a solar charger which is designed to charge or run all 3 items and a radio.

They all are wrapped in silver foil and sat in the middle of the cage on plastic shelves.

If ever needed and it works, then great, if it fails then atleast I tried.......

Never made a magnet motor but have a windturbine 600w motor being prepped for the cage.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ammit For This Post:

Anno (1st June 2011), Billy (16th May 2011), Tony (16th May 2011)

6. Link to Post #25
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by perfectresonance (here)
    Quote A Faraday cage or Faraday shield is an enclosure formed by conducting material or by a mesh of such material

--- Wikipedia
    So, by definition you need a box or a mesh of some conductive material.

Much more intriguing a question is: Why?

As far as I know, no, you don't earth it, and no, it doesn't need to be underground to be a Faraday cage.

However, rooms that are to be shielded from ALL sorts of different types of radiation are often deep underground not because it is a requirement for a Faraday cage, but because it shields OTHER types of interference.
    Actual knowledge is a wonderful thing. If needed, it will help others.
    At this moment I do not know who to believe, so I have to take it all
    in 100%, then sift it all out.

There are a lot of people getting upset and fearful. Us toughies do not
    mind as we are a bit thick!!!! Well ,I am!!

Radiation,,,hmm...I'm gonna need another spade!

Thanks anyway,
    pie'n'eal

7. Link to Post #26
    Language
    Poor english
    Thanks

Pie`n`eal, research it bud, there is plenty of tuts on youtube and test results too.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ammit For This Post:

Tony (16th May 2011)

9. Link to Post #27
    United States Avalon Member Providence's Avatar
    Thanks

I bought 2 large galvanized trash containers with tight fitting lids, lined them with cardboard and insulating material and added a heavy copper braided ground cable which runs straight to a good ground (some say that you don't need the ground cable because it might actually intensify the EMP effects??). I don't know if it actually works other than the tests of using a radio and cell phone, but I think the concept is sound. Also, old microwaves are good make-shift faraday cages. Just cut the cord and put your electronic devices inside. The same protective shielding that keeps the microwaves in, also protects from outside waves getting in.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Providence For This Post:

Anno (1st June 2011), Mad Hatter (17th May 2011), Tony (16th May 2011)

11. Link to Post #28
    Canada Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,618 times in 479 posts

Quote Posted by pie'n'eal (here)
    Has anyone constructed a faraday cage? Yes, I have made 3 so far. All with different purpose.

Could a truck with a metal rear cabin be used? Not really, because the cage or box need to be as uniform as possible, any cracks, parts does leak EMP in the inside.

Though the panels will probably be made of aluminium, the basic structure,
    might have a steel frame, which could be steel bar re-enforced. Aluminum have good quality because of its stability (hardly oxydable) and it is light.

Would it have to be earthed? The cage yes, the component in the cage no. The electronic components can not touch the metal box., it has to be electrically isolated from the cage.

Would it have to be buried in the ground? It is way much better if you can since EMP are absorb by the Earth, but tend to bounce on metal. Way much better. Personnally, I woundl't bother making a cage if I coudlnt put it below the surface.

I like to know such things!!!

pie'n'eal
    Namaste, Steven

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steven For This Post:

Anno (1st June 2011), Mad Hatter (17th May 2011), Tony (16th May 2011)

13. Link to Post #29
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Steven (here)
    Has anyone constructed a faraday cage? Yes, I have made 3 so far. All with different purpose.

Could a truck with a metal rear cabin be used? Not really, because the cage or box need to be as uniform as possible, any cracks, parts does leak EMP in the inside.

might have a steel frame, which could be steel bar re-enforced. Aluminum have good quality because of its stability (hardly oxydable) and it is light.

Would it have to be earthed? The cage yes, the component in the cage no. The electronic components can not touch the metal box., it has to be electrically isolated from the cage.

Would it have to be buried in the ground? It is way much better if you can since EMP are absorb by the Earth, but tend to bounce on metal. Way much better. Personnally, I woundl't bother making a cage if I coudlnt put it below the surface.

pie'n'eal
    Namaste, Steven
    Steven,

That was really helpful, thanks.

Do you know anything about magnet motors? I'm wondering about using a washing machine drum and spindle.
    Also, have you tried a Tesla circuit and coil? I've had failures so far, probably need good germanium diodes!

Thank again.

Pie'n'eal .........when I hear Namaste, it always sound like, have-a nice-day!!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony For This Post:

Nasu (25th July 2011)

15. Link to Post #30
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,006 times in 700 posts

Hi Pie'n'eal,

A useful faraday cage can be made by plywood lining a steel shipping container then bury it in the side of a hill somewhere.

Tesla coils although a lot of fun to build really are not very practical for much else besides scaring your friends and getting a handle on the theory of shuffling voltages around in an asymetric(open) circuit.

You might be better off getting a deep cycle battery(s). To charge them you can get a 12volt alternator from a car and set that up to be driven by an old bicycle suitably modified. (For when the solar panels don't work at night or the wind isn't blowing to spin a fan.) A good quality inverter to turn the DC into AC may prove useful as well.

John Bedini has done some interesting work with magnetic systems. There are kits available for using one battery to charge 3 others, although expensive. You will find a fair amount of info and some great pointers on this site in the alt energy threads.

As an aside I would love someone to thread copper through kevlar clothing that motorbike riders wear as an alternative to leathers. Just to see the look of shock on a goon's face when his taser is entirely ineffective....

cheers

16. Link to Post #31
    Thanks

Steven,

That was really helpful, thanks.

Do you know anything about magnet motors? Yes. I am about to build a Bedini's generator soon using strong magnet (neodymium). I'de like to produce a 5KW/hrs system. I calculated an investment of 8000$. Batteries are the expensive part of the system.

I'm wondering about using a washing machine drum and spindle.
    Also, have you tried a Tesla circuit and coil? I have never tried it. It seems cool, but not really useful for the application I am interested in. I've had failures so far, probably need good germanium diodes!

Thank again.

Pie'n'eal .........when I hear Namaste, it always sound like, have-a nice-day!!! Lol, that's the spirit! It only means I see the light in you
    Namaste (Have-a-nice-day), Steven

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Steven For This Post:

Mad Hatter (17th May 2011)

18. Link to Post #32
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,018 times in 8,167 posts

I think it's not necessary to earth a Faraday cage.

Also, if it's earthed it will be a lightning magnet. Millions of volts passing through it will generate significant electromagnetics within it.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to norman For This Post:

Tony (16th May 2011)

20. Link to Post #33
    Thanks

Quote Posted by norman (here)
    I think it's not necessary to earth a Faraday cage. If its against EMP, yes.

Also, if it's earthed it will be a lightning magnet. Millions of volts passing through it will generate significant electromagnetics within it. Not if it is below the Earth surface.
    Namaste, Steven

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steven For This Post:

Mad Hatter (17th May 2011), norman (16th May 2011), Tony (16th May 2011)

22. Link to Post #34
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Mad Hatter (here)
    Hi Pie'n'eal,

A useful faraday cage can be made by plywood lining a steel shipping container then bury it in the side of a hill somewhere.

Tesla coils although a lot of fun to build really are not very practical for much else besides scaring your friends and getting a handle on the theory of shuffling voltages around in an asymetric(open) circuit.

You might be better off getting a deep cycle battery(s). To charge them you can get a 12volt alternator from a car and set that up to be driven by an old bicycle suitably modified. (For when the solar panels don't work at night or the wind isn't blowing to spin a fan.) A good quality inverter to turn the DC into AC may prove useful as well.

John Bedini has done some interesting work with magnetic systems. There are kits available for using one battery to charge 3 others, although expensive. You will find a fair amount of info and some great pointers on this site in the alt energy threads.

As an aside I would love someone to thread copper through kevlar clothing that motorbike riders wear as an alternative to leathers. Just to see the look of shock on a goon's face when his taser is entirely ineffective....

cheers
    Dear Hatter,
    Brilliant!!!! Am ordering magnets tomorrow!!!
    I love the taser idea......though for spiritual reasons, I'd like God to drop a rather
    large marsh mellow on hid head!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony For This Post:

Mad Hatter (17th May 2011)

24. Link to Post #35
    Australia Avalon Member panopticon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,008 times in 2,305 posts

G'day pie 'n' eal,

We have a sea container with shelving made from wood.
    We wrap everything in the container in metal wire (like window screen aka flywire) and don't have anything touching each other nor the sides of the container.

We have an airX 12v stored with suitable electrical wire and connectors. We chose this as it has an internal regulator for battery storage.
    Gel long life deep cycle batteries are rotated with some in storage for later use as well as an inverter.
    I am unsure as to whether our solar panels will be usable post event (due to EMP damage) but they are there for our present use and we have a regulator in storage just in case.

For power generation I might suggest a modified generator running on woodgas.
    This can also be used for powering a car/truck.
    There's heap of excellent sites on the subject such as: http://woodgas.nl/

Remember that after an EMP electrical components that weren't put in storage will in all likelihood not work so older vehicles would be a better option (no electronic ignition etc).

There's heaps more information on this site and others so "look and ye shall find".

Kind Regards,
    Panopticon
    "What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence.
    The only consequence is what we do."

25. Link to Post #36
    Ecuador Avalon Member Davidallany's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,056 times in 1,577 posts

Hi Tony.
    https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...ve-solar-flare

May the force be with you.

26. Link to Post #37
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks

Davidallany,
    That was really fascinating, thanks!

Tony

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony For This Post:

Davidallany (10th July 2011)

28. Link to Post #38
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,209 times in 1,149 posts

I suddenly had the urge to study up on faraday cages and to protect my various electronic devices ASAP. This is a timely thread for me. While visiting my local thrift store today I had the sudden inspiration that microwave ovens might be ready made and great so I checked with a Google search.... Sure enouth... they are some of the best and easiest sources for protecting laptops and small electronics that will fit inside and they won't break your pocketbook.
    Some of the best material on the subject came from this website: http://apps.onesecondafter.com/Forum...art=0&isLast=0

Here is a quote from a part of it: "Unless a person is an electrical engineer with a lot of experience in high-frequency shielding, they are likely to make basic mistakes in trying to construct their own shielded enclosure for nuclear EMP. On the other hand, a professionally-designed faraday cage that can be conveniently opened and closed is readily available in the form of the chamber of a microwave oven. The chamber of a microwave oven is shielded against both magnetic radiation from the transformer and high-frequency electromagnetic radiation from the strong microwave field. It is proven to work, as is evidenced from the fact that a person right outside an operating microwave oven isn't cooked, or even slightly warmed up. Microwave ovens have been around for so long that you can use an old one that you already own or buy one on the used market. Just remember to cut off the power cord."

29. Link to Post #39
    New Zealand Avalon Member Tane Mahuta's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,565 times in 726 posts

Has anyone constructed a faraday cage?

Could a truck with a metal rear cabin be used?

might have a steel frame, which could be steel bar re-enforced.

Would it have to be earthed?
    Would it have to be buried in the ground?

pie'n'eal
    Check out these links!!

http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com...n/Faraday-cage

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-faraday-cage.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

TT
    "Seek the Truth.....and the Truth shall set you free!!!"

30. Link to Post #40
    New Zealand Avalon Member maddie's Avatar
    Thanks

Smile Re: faraday cage?

Hi Tane, I made a very simple farady cage for batteries out of a heavy duty tinfoil bag, that frozen fruit comes in. I wrapped the batteries in bubble wrap then tin foil, then put them in the bag which zips up tight. there are many good sites as the ones that have been posted. the subject of earthing is a big one and so I went for simplicity.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

we are off the grid and so are looking at ways to cover our solar panels quickly and have the battery bank safe and secure. Any one with ideas???

31. The Following User Says Thank You to maddie For This Post:

Tane Mahuta (26th July 2011)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 6 LastLast