+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Indigenous recipes --add your recipes here.

1. Link to Post #1
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Default Indigenous recipes--foraging --add your recipes here.

I thought I’d start an indigenous recipes thread.
    My first contribution is the all time classic apple and blackberry jam.

September---

In September, apple and blackberries are literally bursting from the trees and bushes. And around this time the kids and I go picking.
    Juice oozes from the blackberries and apples actually have spots, pimples and holes.
    Watch out for the wasps that like to drink the blackberry juice. We pick as many as we can and take them home.

At Home Preparation:
    Pick over the blackberries and take out any hard bits and place all unwanted bugs and spiders back into the garden to go about their business. Wash them in water and then just to make sure, wash through a sieve. If that’s all you want to do for one day then store them in a container in the fridge but either eat them or cook them before they go mouldy.

Ingredients:
    500g of blackberries
    1kg of apples
    Juice of 1 lemon
    1kg of sugar
    100 ml of water
    6 x jars, sterilised

When you’re ready:
    Peel and core the apples and then slice them, fairly thickly.

Put apples and blackberries in a saucepan with lemon juice and water.

Simmer gently over a low heat until their soft and pulpy.

Add sugar and stir until dissolved.

Now bring to the boil and boil rapidly (be careful here it gets very, very hot) until it reaches setting point.

To test setting point, use a teaspoon and drop a bit of jam onto a chilled saucer, leave it a minute then poke it with a spoon - if it wrinkles its set.

Leave to cool, and then spoon into sterilized jars.

I’m probably teaching grannies to suck eggs—ahhhhh but what the hell, I always was a bit naive.
    Last edited by Chelle; 29th April 2011 at 10:55.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chelle For This Post:

Ammit (29th April 2011), benevolentcrow (29th April 2011), jjl (29th April 2011), Johnnycomelately (8th August 2022), manny (30th April 2011), nomadguy (29th April 2011)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,739 times in 1,371 posts

Default Re: Indigenous recipes --add your recipes here.

Not sure whether it counts as "indigenous", but here's a wonderful, almost free dish that you can have courtesy of most temperate countrysides ! What's the magic ingredient ????

STINGING NETTLES !!

Best to find a nice crop of freshly growing nettles, ones which haven't been pissed on by dogs ! Pick the small young leaves and shoots (doesn't actually hurt, I find it sensitizes my fingertips), A collender-full should probably be enough for 2 people, and then simply cook it as you would spinach - wash your pickings first (just in case !) and then stir-fry in a ceramic pan with butter, a little olive oil and garlic.
    Simple and nutritious, Enjoy !

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mosquito For This Post:

Agape (29th April 2011), Ammit (29th April 2011), benevolentcrow (29th April 2011), Chelle (29th April 2011), Franny (30th April 2011), jjl (29th April 2011), Johnnycomelately (8th August 2022), manny (30th April 2011), nomadguy (29th April 2011)

5. Link to Post #3
    Australia Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,587 times in 5,273 posts

Default Re: Indigenous recipes--foraging --add your recipes here.

Quote Posted by Chelle (here)

September---

In September, apple and blackberries are literally bursting from the trees and bushes. And around this time the kids and I go picking.
    Juice oozes from the blackberries and apples actually have spots, pimples and holes.
    Watch out for the wasps that like to drink the blackberry juice. We pick as many as we can and take them home.

At Home Preparation:
    Pick over the blackberries and take out any hard bits and place all unwanted bugs and spiders back into the garden to go about their business. Wash them in water and then just to make sure, wash through a sieve. If that’s all you want to do for one day then store them in a container in the fridge but either eat them or cook them before they go mouldy.

Ingredients:
    500g of blackberries
    1kg of apples
    Juice of 1 lemon
    1kg of sugar
    100 ml of water
    6 x jars, sterilised

When you’re ready:

Now bring to the boil and boil rapidly (be careful here it gets very, very hot) until it reaches setting point.

To test setting point, use a teaspoon and drop a bit of jam onto a chilled saucer, leave it a minute then poke it with a spoon - if it wrinkles its set.

I’m probably teaching grannies to suck eggs—ahhhhh but what the hell, I always was a bit naive.
    No disrespect intended Chelle...

But this Forum aint 'NO' Cooking Show!

We all love great food, but save the recipes for another Forum!

6. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,369 times in 4,614 posts

Quote Posted by mariposafe (here)
    Not sure whether it counts as "indigenous", but here's a wonderful, almost free dish that you can have courtesy of most temperate countrysides ! What's the magic ingredient ????

STINGING NETTLES !!

Best to find a nice crop of freshly growing nettles, ones which haven't been pissed on by dogs ! Pick the small young leaves and shoots (doesn't actually hurt, I find it sensitizes my fingertips), A collender-full should probably be enough for 2 people, and then simply cook it as you would spinach - wash your pickings first (just in case !) and then stir-fry in a ceramic pan with butter, a little olive oil and garlic.
    Simple and nutritious, Enjoy !

They say that Jetsun Milarepa , great Tibetan yogi who lived in high mountain caves for more than 20 years on his path to enlightenment survived mostly on nettle soup and probably some roasted barley poridge .

Nettles have lots of C vitamine and anti-oxidants too, I bet sure .

Recommended , forgive me the teaser

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Agape For This Post:

Ammit (29th April 2011), benevolentcrow (29th April 2011), Chelle (29th April 2011), Franny (30th April 2011)

8. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member jjl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,949 times in 544 posts

Sorry but I think food for survival is pretty relevant...

¤=[Post Update]=¤

beach roses will grow anywhere and the hips are yummy fresh and full of vitamen C. also good to make a tea for winter colds!

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jjl For This Post:

Ammit (29th April 2011), benevolentcrow (29th April 2011), Chelle (29th April 2011), Franny (30th April 2011), Jake (29th April 2011), manny (30th April 2011)

10. Link to Post #6
    Language
    Poor english
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,972 times in 737 posts

This is a good thread, I would like to see more on UK foraging as Im in the uk.

Nettles are fantastic as a food and drink. A good few handfulls dropped into boiling water and eaten as a cabbage, will have you full of energy in no time. Torn up leaves dropped into a mug of boiled water and given some time to steep makes a rich vitamin tea.

Dandilions make a very good salad aditive, with the lovely sweat heads giving a vibrant colour. Very good for stomach upsets too.
    Save the root, give it a good scrub and gently boil it and use as a vegetable to accompany most wild dishes.

I am at the moment trying to research (rumex) Dock, So if anyone has any info on the edibility of the Dock then please let me know.
    Love. peace and Blessings to you all.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ammit For This Post:

benevolentcrow (29th April 2011), Chelle (29th April 2011), jjl (29th April 2011), manny (30th April 2011)

12. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,649 times in 786 posts

I too think this is a good thread. This is a place for sharing all wonderful and marvelous things. Food is one of our most basic needs. Good food leads to good health, good times with family and friends.

Vegetables are a must on a diet. I suggest carrot cake, zucchini bread, and pumpkin pie. ~Jim Davis

Nothing would be more tiresome than eating and drinking if God had not made them a pleasure as well as a necessity. ~Voltaire

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to benevolentcrow For This Post:

Chelle (29th April 2011), Franny (30th April 2011), jjl (29th April 2011), manny (30th April 2011)

14. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,369 times in 4,614 posts

Quote I am at the moment trying to research (rumex) Dock, So if anyone has any info on the edibility of the Dock then please let me know.
    Beware of oxalates . Mum told me when they were young kids and played outside and plugged neigbours gardens ( there's always some moral at the end of the stories ) they tasted everything from unripe apples and berries and all that was green and fresh and sour .
    Still when I was young I've heard about children eating dock , who taught them I have no idea ..

Similar to rhubarb ( uncooked ) and many other garden herbs used as green spice it contains lots of oxalic acid and can damage your kidneys .

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Agape For This Post:

Ammit (29th April 2011), Chelle (29th April 2011), Franny (30th April 2011), jjl (29th April 2011), manny (30th April 2011)

16. Link to Post #9
    Language
    Poor english
    Thanks

Thanks Agape. I will give Dock a miss as a food but I am reading now about healing properties in the root as a topical treatment.

17. Link to Post #10
    Australia Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,587 times in 5,273 posts

Default Re: Indigenous recipes--foraging --add your recipes here.

Quote Posted by jackovesk (here)
    Quote Posted by Chelle (here)

September---

At Home Preparation:

Ingredients:
    500g of blackberries
    1kg of apples
    Juice of 1 lemon
    1kg of sugar
    100 ml of water
    6 x jars, sterilised

When you’re ready:

Looks like I am out numbered here...

Carry on...

18. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,951 times in 812 posts

The indigenous over here in Nevada used to have a strawberry festival in Carson City,
    the strawberry is a very special fruit. From the Harvey Ardon "wisdom keepers",
    One strawberry - one gallon of water - this is an immunity booster...

Prob best to,
    Beware of pesticides and grow your own organic strawberries.
    Why not now?

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nomadguy For This Post:

Chelle (29th April 2011), Johnnycomelately (8th August 2022)

20. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,492 times in 2,185 posts

One of the main antique staples here in the mountainous areas of Italy is chestnuts. They fall in late September/early October and are collected within 2 weeks of falling, otherwise they start rotting. They can be used fresh, but are usually dried in smoke houses. They can then be milled into flour or boiled, and they will keep indefinately in any dry, well sealed container. If anyone is interested in detailed info, feel free to ask.

I have been harvesting dandelions, nettle, lambsquarters (pigweed) all spring, used as spinach in any recipe that takes my fancy. I have also made dandelion flower jelly with ginger and clove to use for sore throat, laryngitis, and coughs. Good natural meds....
    "Vision without action is merely a dream.
    Action without vision just passes the time.
    Vision with action can change the world." Joel Arthur Barker

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MorningSong For This Post:

Chelle (30th April 2011), Franny (30th April 2011), Johnnycomelately (8th August 2022), manny (30th April 2011)

22. Link to Post #13
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,157 times in 529 posts

i am thinking of buying a couple of chickens.
    now i know that you need 2 sq feet per chicken.
    and thats it really.
    anyone got any advice.
    thanks

23. Link to Post #14
    Language
    Poor english
    Thanks

Quote Posted by manny (here)
    i am thinking of buying a couple of chickens.
    now i know that you need 2 sq feet per chicken.
    and thats it really.
    anyone got any advice.
    thanks
    Manny, I have sent you a pm, it dont normally work so let me know you recieved it please.

Ammit

24. Link to Post #15
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Wild Garlic

Forage—April to May in U.K ---NOW

Edible parts—green leaves and flowers
    Wild garlic grows in woodland in, near or among bluebells and is therefore found commonly around woodlands and river banks but is also easy to cultivate in most soils. It is identifiable by its garlic-like smell (and taste) and it’s long green leaves, which are similar in appearance to those of Lily of the Valley. It grows from late winter and throughout spring. Towards the end of the season it bursts into bloom with white flowers. Foraging for wild garlic in woodlands is fairly straight forward, found in semi-shaded, moist conditions. If you’re unsure of what you’ve found, its garlic smell is the ultimate clarification.

Both the green leaves and flowers are edible (flowers are delicious in salads) and leaves can be preserved via freezing or drying. Personally I think it’s delicious with fish, but add it to omelettes, salads, vinegars, make into a paste for pasta or preserve in oil.

Enjoy
    Chelle
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Chelle; 30th April 2011 at 14:36.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chelle For This Post:

DeDukshyn (30th April 2011), Franny (30th April 2011), manny (30th April 2011)

26. Link to Post #16
    United States Avalon Member jjl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,949 times in 544 posts

orange day lilys, have bulbs that are starch and nutients. Boil the bulb twice (in clean water each time) and rinse again before eating. Violets are Great in salad!

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jjl For This Post:

Chelle (30th April 2011), DeDukshyn (30th April 2011), manny (30th April 2011)

28. Link to Post #17
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,961 times in 687 posts

Stuffed Apples

Green apples.
    Brown sugar.
    cinnamon
    apple juice.
    Nuts (walnuts or almonds or pecans)
    raisins
    cranberries.

Core apples. Chop up nuts, raisings and cranberries. Mix with cinnamon and brown sugar. Stuff apple core with the nuts/cinnamon and sugar mixture. Place in pan and pour in 1/2" apple juice. Bake until apples are soft. Serve hot (with vanilla ice cream).

Poached Pears and not poached peers.

Pears
    Cinnamon.
    Orange zest
    Lemon zest
    Brown sugar
    Cranberry juice
    Cap of white wine.

BTW, fennel grows wild in my area. Let it grow tall and you can collect the seeds. Dig out the bulb and you can roast it.

Cut pears in half. Core and remove stem. Take orange zest, lemon zest, brown sugar and mix in with cranberry juice. Place pear halves in pan and pour in the juice/zest mixture. Bake until soft (or even place on cooktop with lid and cook until soft). When soft, throw in white wine (or brandy) and let sit for 30 seconds. Serve while warm (with vanilla ice cream if you like).

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lost Soul For This Post:

Chelle (30th April 2011), Harmony (8th August 2022), jjl (30th April 2011), manny (30th April 2011)

30. Link to Post #18
    Netherlands Avalon Member
    Language
    Dutch
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,303 times in 1,173 posts

I have no idea how to make this, wouldn't eat it, jelly has pig bones in it. In any case, I watched it in awe, allowing myself to enter the Star Trek Universe thinking Andorian Ale Cake, so that's what I will call it secretly. It's quite relaxing to watch this vid.

Tomei
    Last edited by 9ideon; 8th August 2022 at 13:24.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 9ideon For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th August 2022), Harmony (8th August 2022)

32. Link to Post #19
    Netherlands Avalon Member
    Language
    Dutch
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,303 times in 1,173 posts

If you're into chocolate, well...

33. The Following User Says Thank You to 9ideon For This Post:

Vangelo (5th September 2022)

+ Reply to Thread