+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Human powered generator, water purification system, basic small appliances.

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,103 times in 806 posts

Default Human powered generator, water purification system, basic small appliances.

Any decent individuals can build a human powered generator: a used bicycle, car alternator, automotive/recreational battery, inverter. Most car alternators produces around 600W to 1 KW electricity. The inverter converts DC from batter to AC for small appliances.

Small generators that uses gasoline or other types of fuels eventually become useless. No fuel means no power. It produces noise and pollutants so it's not easy to run indoor environment. Hard to carry it just by hands.

Bicycle + alternator set can be built for mobility too. When one need to travel, disconnect the alternator and other parts then put in a box with other stuff.

All the parts above are plenty, easy-to-get, and proven technologies.

Whenever you need power during emergency where the grid is out, you just run the bicycle to charge the battery or if you have few people, others can use small appliances in real time to cook food or even using computer, radio, lights, and heater. It's basically simple and easy preparation for emergency situation.

The water purification will supply drinkable water. I'm looking into build a purification system by gravity driven and some layers of natural materials.

One day when the free energy device comes out, no need to use human power.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Hughe For This Post:

777 (9th May 2011), Art (10th May 2011), Clover (9th May 2011), firstlook (10th May 2011), heyokah (7th May 2011), John Parslow (9th May 2011), Krullenjongen (7th May 2011), Nasu (6th May 2011), seko (9th May 2011), the_flyingboy (7th May 2011), Tony (10th May 2011)

3. Link to Post #2
    Netherlands Avalon Member Krullenjongen's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Human powered generator, water purification system, basic small appliances.

Great post, thanks.
    I have been thinking about this too and wanted to build something like this.
    But i'm not very technical and i did not get around to researching this.
    Do you know of anybuilding plans (schematics/specifications) that i can access on the web?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Krullenjongen For This Post:

Hughe (9th May 2011)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

Default Re: Human powered generator, water purification system, basic small appliances.

There are few companies that sell bicycle generators on the net.

Here is one of them. It's a bit expensive but at least the users have independent power source.
    http://www.pedalpowergenerator.com/P...controller.htm

Most of them uses the edge of the rear wheel or drive belt which is very primitive way.
    My approach is to connect the rear wheel shaft to the alternator through extension tube and bearing. I drew few diagrams (8 pages so far) by hand, I'll post when it's done. I'll write down all the tools and test equipments to do it in my knowledge.

My plan is to make the generator system is mobile so that I can move around.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hughe For This Post:

Krullenjongen (10th May 2011)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Soylent Green comes to mind. They both take turns riding the bicycle to power the lights in their apartment. Is this what awaits us?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eligos For This Post:

Hughe (10th May 2011)

9. Link to Post #5
    Netherlands Avalon Member Krullenjongen's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Hughe (here)
    There are few companies that sell bicycle generators on the net.

Here is one of them. It's a bit expensive but at least the users have independent power source.
    http://www.pedalpowergenerator.com/P...controller.htm

Most of them uses the edge of the rear wheel or drive belt which is very primitive way.
    My approach is to connect the rear wheel shaft to the alternator through extension tube and bearing. I drew few diagrams (8 pages so far) by hand, I'll post when it's done. I'll write down all the tools and test equipments to do it in my knowledge.

My plan is to make the generator system is mobile so that I can move around.
    I looked at the site and they are indeed pricy, especially for me outside the USA.
    Posting your plans and what you have done would be very much appreciated!!

10. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Quote Eligos
    Soylent Green comes to mind. They both take turns riding the bicycle to power the lights in their apartment. Is this what awaits us?
    Apparently, it's yes. I'm going back to the square one. I know free energy is real, I'm uncertain when will I get it and use everyday right in my study room. It's Pandora's box with so much potential. There are few companies that sell prototype products for experiment. It takes many years to refine and make those practical device like the car alternator, bicycle, etc.

When it's done, I'll have an emergency power for myself. It's a lot better than a portable generator.
    I thought few times what would I do if there is no power in entire city? I'll hit the ground really hard for survival which beyonds any miserable conditions I experience. What caught me is would I watch my little nephews suffer and family members? Of course, family members think I'm an idiot. I asked for a space to rent but even family member refused to help me. People live in different reality for sure.

Quote I looked at the site and they are indeed pricy, especially for me outside the USA.
    Posting your plans and what you have done would be very much appreciated!!
    I live in South Korea. I've been looking for an indoor workshop for myself. Living in an apartment building sucks big time.
    But, I'll post the hand-written diagrams when it's ready. Please bear in mind, the drawings are poor quality.
    My next post will contain the diagrams - 6 - 10 drawings - tools that require for the build, instructions.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hughe For This Post:

Eligos (10th May 2011), firstlook (10th May 2011), Krullenjongen (10th May 2011)

12. Link to Post #7
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks

I love this site and wanted to share a couple of projects that you might find interesting:

Turn an exercise bike into an energy bike

$4 Solar Battery Charger

Here is another link that you may find useful:

Pedal Powered Generator - Electricity From Exercise

Found this too:

Pedal Power Bike Generator Frequently Asked Questions

Steven
    Last edited by albativo; 10th May 2011 at 14:43.

+ Reply to Thread