+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reagan`s UN speech 1987 – Reagan wasn’t joking, and Spielberg knows it

1. Link to Post #1
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,152 times in 2,815 posts

Default Reagan`s UN speech 1987 – Reagan wasn’t joking, and Spielberg knows it

Do you remember the mystical speech Reagan made in front of UN 1987, where he talked about a threat from outer space? Well now it looks like he wasn’t lying or joking at all about it. They even wanted to remove his notes about a possible alien threat. But Reagan stood up and demanded they put them back into the speech. To begin with, he has become the first President of the United States that talk about the possibility of an alien invasion from outer space, and he has done so not once or twice but in three speeches. Reagan is also the only President to my knowledge, who admitted in a 1984 Presidential debate against Walter Mondale I think..to having “philosophical discussions” about Armageddon in the White House with some rather well-known fundamentalist preachers. Reagan knew something but wasn’t allowed to say anything, that is clear to me

Name:  reagans-notes.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  69.5 KB

In our obsession with antagonisms of the moment, we often forget how much unites all the members of humanity. Perhaps we need some outside, universal threat to make us recognize this common bond. I occasionally think how quickly our differences worldwide would vanish if we were facing an alien threat from outside this world”

Speech to the United Nations General Assembly, 42nd General Assembly

Name:  ronald-reagan.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  63.2 KB

Reagan wasn’t joking, and Spielberg knows it!

By Robbie Graham

In an interview with Ain’t It Cool News writer Eric Vespe (better known online as ‘Quint’) published June 6th, Steven Spielberg confirms that, following a White House screening of E.T: The Extraterrestrial in 1982, President Ronald Reagan did indeed make remarks to the effect that the premise of Spielberg’s movie – extraterrestrial visitation – was fact, not fiction. This is something of a bombshell. Rumours have persisted for years about just what – if anything – Reagan told Spielberg during the 1982 White House E.T. screening, but not until now has the director spoken about it on the record. Spielberg’s version of events, however, differs slightly from the version that has entered UFO-lore.

According to Spielberg, Reagan did not address his remarks to him personally, but rather – and more remarkably – to all guests in the room collectively (some of whom were astronauts). Here is what happened in Spielberg’s own words:

“It was in the White House screening room and Reagan got up to thank me for bringing the film to show the President, the First Lady and all of their guests, which included Sandra Day O’Connor in her first week of as a Justice of the Supreme Court, and it included some astronauts… I think Neil Armstrong was there, I’m not 100% certain, but it was an amazing, amazing evening.

He just stood up and he looked around the room, almost like he was doing a headcount, and he said, ‘I wanted to thank you for bringing E.T. to the White House. We really enjoyed your movie,’ and then he looked around the room and said, ‘And there are a number of people in this room who know that everything on that screen is absolutely true.’

And he said it without smiling! But he said that and everybody laughed, by the way. The whole room laughed because he presented it like a joke, but he wasn’t smiling as he said it

2. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,024 times in 3,784 posts

Default Re: Reagan`s UN speech 1987 – Reagan wasn’t joking, and Spielberg knows it

Ohh nostalgia. I remember reading about that about ten years ago. Sorry can't remember the who's whats or whens but I remember someone mentioning the arms race was less about the Russians than alien invasion and Armageddon. Not having had coffee think I'll go remind myself of the date or Roswell as it corresponds to the beginning of the Cold War.

thanks for posting that.

3. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member Shadowstar1370's Avatar
    Lurking on the edge of the Ring of Pass Not
    Thanks

Default Re: Reagan`s UN speech 1987 – Reagan wasn’t joking, and Spielberg knows it

I remember hearing some stuff about this, highly interesting and it definitely sheds a different shade of light on what I have always been taught about that era.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Oh, and speaking of Spielberg, the presidential screening of the movie ET is definitely an interesting study. Supposedly, one of the upper ranking military personnel leaned back and whispered to Spielberg "Only three people in this room know how true to life this film is."

4. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,813 times in 6,634 posts

Quote Posted by 9eagle9 (here)
    Ohh nostalgia. I remember reading about that about ten years ago. Sorry can't remember the who's whats or whens but I remember someone mentioning the arms race was less about the Russians than alien invasion and Armageddon. Not having had coffee think I'll go remind myself of the date or Roswell as it corresponds to the beginning of the Cold War.

thanks for posting that.
    an ET visitor showed up at a meeting between reagan and the soviet leader and told them there would be no nuclear war, I think this speech was after that event. I believe it was a member of the GFL.
    Raiding the Matrix One Mind at a Time ...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ghostrider For This Post:

Cjay (18th June 2011)

+ Reply to Thread