+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst 1 12 22

Thread: The infiltration of the New Age Movement and Andrija Puharich

1. Link to Post #421
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,628 times in 390 posts

Default Re: The infiltration of the New Age Movement and Andrija Puharich

Lucky for me I am hip-deep in an Old Age Movement.

All the "Psy-Ops infiltrators" died of old age many moons ago.

But it does occur to me that;
    Isn't labeling flat everything as "Psy-Ops infiltrated" just doing the Psy-Ops minion's work for them?
    Last edited by Fredkc; 24th July 2010 at 21:04.

2. Link to Post #422
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,860 times in 11,838 posts

Quote Posted by Fredkc (here)
    Lucky for me I am hip-deep in an Old Age Movement.

All the "Psy-Ops infiltrators" died of old age many moons ago.

But it does occur to me that;
    labeling flat everything as "Psy-Ops infiltrated" just doing the Psy-Ops minion's work for them?
    Thank you Fred for saying that.
    There is no enemy out there.

a story I told before.

The Dragon slayer, a magician ,was dying, the villagers were terrified that the dragon would now get them.
    They pleaded with him not to die.
    He said.
    I think you will find when I have gone the dragon will have gone too.

The enemy is the thought that there is one.
    Seems very real.
    The moment you have that thought you are giving away your power/energy to an illusion.
    Anyone here ever met a "Psy-Ops infiltrator
    I doubt it, so live your life free of such notions and you will be free.
    The world is controlled by greed is true.
    Guess what? Greed is fear of loss.
    That is EGO. and it will get up to all kinds of nasty things to keep its hold over you.
    The only thing to overcome is ones own personal ego.
    You do that the the rest will follow automatically.
    Chris
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Hazel (10th August 2013), Valerie Villars (22nd May 2018)

4. Link to Post #423
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

I can finally summarize my 2 years research about New Age. Actually, it is not 2 years because I have started my quest for truth and spirituality decade ago. I was fascinated with occultism and Eastern beliefs for a long time. Well, I couldn’t connect the dots.I can agree with David Icke as he said that the biggest problem is the fact that people can’t connect the dots, seeing everything as separate. I decided to explore Ashayana teaching to make up my mind about ascension. I don’t believe David Wilcock at all. He was endorsed by Uri Geller. Well, Uri Geller was connected to Andrija Puharich and “the Nine”.

I have just started reading the Freedom Teachings but I have already noticed an impact of this teachings. It was not a positive one as I went through an intense questioning period regarding ascension and the reality presented by the teachings. I don’t know where those teaching come from but I can see a similarity with Wilcock’s teachings. So, I wanted to explore where the concept of ascension came from. Well, we go back to Blavatsky.

http://www.answers.com/topic/ascended-master
    Ascended Masters are enlightened beings whom many in the esoteric field believe have evolved beyond the need to reincarnate on earth and now act from a higher plane of existence to assist humans in their movement towardenlightenment and guide the race in its destined evolution. The concept of ascended masters was popularly introduced by Madame Helena Petrovna Blavatsky, cofounder of the Theosophical Society, and described in some detail in her most important book, The Secret Doctrine. Blavatsky taught that both individuals and the human race were engaged in an upward evolutionary process. At the same time, she pictured a hierarchy of Masters headed by a being known as the Solar Logos. Those masters at the lowest level of the hierarchy regularly interacted with humanity. The Masters El Morya and Koot Hoomi have had a special role in the formation and guidance of the society. One of the early members of the society, A. P. Sinnett, also received regular communications from the masters that became the basis of two important theosophical texts, Esoteric Buddhism and the Mahatma Letters to A. P. Sinnett.
    Together, the masters constituted the Great White Brotherhood. A number of the spiritual leaders from past history were pictured as members of the hierarchy. For example, the person known as Jesus, revered as the fountainheadof Christianity, is believed to hold the office of Maitreya in the hierarchy. The work of the masters was championed by Blavatsky's successor Annie Besant and her colleague Charles W. Leadbeater, whose works further elaborated upon the nature and work of the masters.
    Blavatsky also introduced the idea of ascension as a goal for humans, a concept made central of "I AM" Religious Activity, an organization founded by Guy W. Ballard, who further developed theosophical concepts. Ballard taught that it was possible through following the disciplines of the movement, including vegetarianism, to so purify the self that the individual need not die but could ascend to the next level of conscious existence. Ballard's own untimelydeath necessitated some revision of that ideal, and the natural process of death was integrated into the understanding of the process of ascension. Ballard is now believed to have assumed a position as an ascended master, as has Mark Prophet, the founder of the Summit Lighthouse (now the Church Universal and Triumphant), a group similar to the "I AM."
    Ballard regularly and publicly served as a messenger for a variety of Ascended Masters, especially Comte de St. Germain. At the same time, Alice A. Bailey claimed contact with a Master she generally called "The Tibetan," named Djwhal Khul. Both became models for a variety of people through the last half of the twentieth century who have claimed contact with and who have channeled messages from the masters. By the 1970s, over one hundred groups with roots in the Theosophical Society that either acknowledged the messages from the masters received by Blavatsky and/or were receiving new messages regularly from the masters were functioning in the English-speaking world. One group of channelers, beginning with George King, founder of the Aetherius Society, have claimed contact with extraterrestrial entities, who nevertheless have the same names as the members of the spiritual hierarchy originally described by Blavatsky. Flying saucer contactees, such as Dorothy Martin of the Association of Sananda and Sanat Kumara, described them as members of an outer space hierarchy.
    During the 1970s, the practice of channeling messages from the Masters spread to a much larger audience as a result of the New Age Movement, a revitalization movement that spread through the Western theosophical groups and adopted channeling as one of its key activities. While New Age channelers received material from a variety of sources, many claimed to be in touch with the same ascended masters as Blavatsky, Bailey, and Ballard. Most notable among these is Benjamin Crème, who claimed not only to receive messages from the Master Maitreya, but that this particular entity had returned to human society and was walking among us. The emphasis upon ascended masters accompanied an emphasis upon individual ascension as the goal of the spiritual life. Ascension had been placed upon the agenda of the metaphysical community by Guy Ballard and the "I AM" Movement, but had not become a significant teaching until the New Age Movement began to wane in the 1990s.
    The ascended masters have been likened to angelic beings in Christian folklore. Given the impersonal and transcendently remote deity of Western esoteric worldviews, the masters serve as a source of revelation and authority. They are seen as authoritative teachers of spiritual wisdom. They are highly revered for the knowledge they present, though as a rule they do not receive worship, a practice that does not have a prominent place in most esoteric groups. The masters have also been compared to the bodhisattvas of Mahayana Buddhist thought. They are compassionate beings dedicated to humanity and its uplift. Contemporary writers on ascended masters have nominated many of the spiritual exemplars of all religious traditions as having become ascended masters while also greatly expanding the number of ascended masters believed to be currently inter-acting with humanity.
    Sources:
    Ballard, Guy W. [as Godfre Ray King]. Unveiled Mysteries. Chicago: Saint Germain Press, 1934.
    Besant, Annie. The Masters. Adyar, India: The Theosophist Office, 1912.
    ——. The White Lodge and Its Messengers. Adyar, India: Theosophical Publishing House, 1931.
    Crème, Benjamin. The Reappearance of the Christ and the Masters of Wisdom. London: Tara Press, 1980.
    Garver, Will I. Brother of the Third Degree. Halcyon, Calif.: Halcyon Temple Press, 1894, 1929.
    Leadbeater, Charles W. The Masters and the Path. Adyar, India: Theosophical Publishing House, 1925.
    Prophet, Elizabeth Clare. The Great White Brotherhood in the History and Religion of America. Los Angeles: Summit University Press, 1976.
    Sinnett, A. P. Esoteric Buddhism. London: Trubner, 1883.
    ——. The Mahatma Letters to A. P. Sinnett. London: T. Fisher Unwin, 1924.

My discovery about Ascended Masters is very different than presented in this article.
    In this 6 parts documentary movie, journalists, researchers as well as former practicing occultists discuss about a spiritual world and chanelling.

5. Link to Post #424
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

This is 2o parts video that reveals connections between Buddhism, Hindu, and Catholic religion, its connection with Balvatsky teachings, SS, and more. We may understand the symbolism that is so pervasive in music and movies industry.

Lenon Honor and the industry exposed websites provide a very well done analysis what is going on the music and movie industry.

http://www.lenonhonorfilms.com/videodownloadpage.html

http://theindustryexposed.com/

6. Link to Post #425
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,628 times in 390 posts

Quote This is 2o parts video that reveals connections between Buddhism, Hindu, and Catholic religion, its connection with Balvatsky teachings, SS, and more.
    Not to give offense starninja, but thank you for taking this thread to new levels of absurdity.

I am now re-convinced further personal involvement with this stuff is no longer useful.

Even if a connection, however slight, could be made, I would still re-state something I said about 18-20 pages ago;
    "No amount of stating what you don't believe in, what you claim to be false, will ever educate, enlighten, or encourage a single soul. Not even your own."

Fred

7. Link to Post #426
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Do I believe in ascension? Absolutely not! It is a New Age deception. The "ascension" will happen in our mind as our reality will be totally changed. As a result, we will experience symptoms of mind control such as depersonalization, sense of isolation, depression, sleeping problems, other disturbing physical symptoms and many more. I posted here research about the negative symptoms of TM as well as Course in Miracle. The scary part is that they are changing our view of reality and explain the symptoms of mind control as the symptoms of spiritual awakening! I started to experience some of those symptoms 1,5 years ago as I read Avalon1 and did my research into the realm of conspiracy and channeling. Those symptoms are gone! So, it wasn’t a spiritual awaking but mind control.

We have to ask ourselves why we accept the belief of ascension and a new view of reality. It requires strengths to do soul searching and we make not like what we will find. It goes back to personal responsibility. It would be so nice to believe that we will ascend to 4th or 5th dimention where people are very evolved and there will not be pain ,suffering, and sickness but only love and light. Well, I am afraid that it is childish thinking and there is not free lunch in the Universe. We have to take responsibility for our personal growth and become a change we want to see. Finally, we need to go back to our body and feel all feelings. Our feelings are our strengths as they connect us with our souls. No wonder, those who want to control us working so hard to disconnect us from our feelings. I can see emotional emptiness, well, I would say, zombie like state of those who are deeply involved in New Age spirituality. They talk about love but they don’t feel it. They can’t understand the language of the body as the connection between the physical sensations that are accompanying emotions is broken.

Well, I can shut down my computer for a long while, integrate what I have learned, and enjoy my life! I am grateful that my Guardian Angel didn’t fall asleep but worked hard 24/7 guiding me through this journey, particularly into the realm of mind control.

8. Link to Post #427
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I think labeling is very dangerous as there are may good people in all organizations and non organizations.
    When we label we forget we are talking about individual people with hearts and minds.
    Its like calling all Germana Nazis.
    Ordinary people kill ordinary people during war. Its much easier when they have a hate label. Gestapo, New age, Powers that be, nameless faceless enemy.
    So easy to blame-- so easy to hate--- so easy to kill.
    I agree with Fred totally in all he has stated.
    Mind control ha ha. you have free will you cant be controlled, that is a illusion.
    chris

9. Link to Post #428
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Starninja

Your posts are packed with lies, for starters you came into my forum with the pretence that you liked keylontic sciences, there are many posts on my site that proves that. What you have said here about me and my forum is untrue, it was plain from the beginning that apart from researching what is true and what is not in the new age movement we were interested in forming a study group for keylontic sciences, both subjects were in the description of my forum from the start. I was not going to say anything but for good order sake I will. You were rude to other members and bumped comments from other members into another thread because you wanted people to say yes to what you said and people didn't feel like it. You did that without my consent (creator of the forum) or having the kindness to notify the other members of your intention and you didn't want to follow the forum guidelines and called them nonsense, enough to be banned from any forum

I have never been a cultist, I always promoted free thinking and If I opened a new forum is because I am interested in the investigation of KS and others here were too but the subject matter was not very welcomed by the main forum so we decided to respect the wishes of the majority here and leave people follow their own inclinations. I think my actions surely were welcome

Part of growing up is accepting that others have different ideas than yours and learn how to co-exist in a peaceful way

I just wanted to make this clarification and no matter what you say, I will not answer to your provocations. I had to put you in my spam mail because you are rather unpleasant so don't bother emailing me in the future

I wish you well

10. Link to Post #429
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Well, I am done with New Age. To recover from this deception takes time as we have been compromised on so many levels. I am switching my focus on empowerment. Everybody of us has an inner longing to love, to be loved, to give, to deeply care about others. Sadly, many people experience deep emptiness and a hungry heart! According to research, only 10% people experience a deep emotional connections with a partner after 15 years of marriage. After 25 years of marriage, only 1%!

So, what went wrong?
    I have searched for the answer for a period of time. I see a big correlation with New Age programming.

Well, my favorite part is the transcendence of the ego promoted by Eastern teachings and a new generation of “spiritual” teachers of the New Age like E. Tolle.
    It is the most dangerous concept for our well being. I don’t even like to use a term the ego but the sense of self. There is a vast research that has shown that people who have a strong sense of self (ego!) are the most loving, caring, tolerant, and giving. It is a pure delight to be around those people! They are inner directed. Furthermore, they are secure within themselves, and as such, their functioning in not affected by either criticism or praise from others. They are able to engage in intense emotional relationship without trying to modify the life course of another. They are relatively free from ego defenses. On the contrary, people who have a weak ego or poorly defined sense of self are very vulnerable to being molded or changed by others. They react to beliefs, attitudes, and values of others, trying to change them. They experience a high level of anxiety; therefore, they have less energy available to pursue goal-oriented activity. They have difficulty to distinguish the feeling process from the intellectual process, and as such, they are governed by their emotions. They are conscious of their emotions, but emotions are experienced as a heighten level of disturbing energy that they can’t understand, therefore, put into words. As a result, they oscillate between uncontrolled emotional outbursts and depression.

So, New Age beliefs are handy to escape the emotional intensity. However, they don’t tell us the damaging consequences to our psyche and to the sense of self, as the self is being fragmented. The more the self is fragmented, the more difficult is the process of recovery to fully functioning. Palehorse beautifully expressed the consequences of accepting and following the New Age teachings.

Expert from Palehorse
    http://beyond-within.com/blog/person...al-boundaries/

When I came across the idea of universal oneness, I had no problem accepting it, because I had very little concept of “me” as an individual to begin with! From all descriptions of “enlightenment” that I’ve come across — you might say I was enlightened before I started “seeking” anything. Be that as it may, it wasn’t a state I was happy to remain in, and I eventually found out why.
    I have stripped away aspects of myself, shut down other aspects, experimented with changing everything about myself that it’s possible to change, and spent years without a functioning ego. At the end of it I found myself with a lot of fragmented and damaged aspects who did not cease to exist; they were just waiting around somewhere in the astral (literally) for me to pull my head out of my arse, stop trying pretend there is no “I” and start reintegrating them. Hypothetically, I could have probably continued along that path until there was nothing left of this conscious self, leaving me an empty shell that would eventually die and be no more. But from what I’ve seen, those parts I stripped away would simply go off on their own evolutionary track, and the higher self that this incarnation is part of would continue to exist, probably saying to himself “damn, lost another one to that whole “enlightenment” fad.”

When I got my ego back up and running, I found a pre-existing core “essence” that flourishes and successfully coexists with others when I’m true to myself, and protests loudly when I engage in self-betrayal. It has preferences, desires, goals, ambitions — and finds the process of figuring out how to achieve them as fun as the end result is gratifying, before transitioning on to a new adventure. I’m free to experience what I want without feeling like I’m “suffering” if I don’t get it, because I view life as a game, and one that I don’t take particularly seriously at that; it’s all just experience.

My preferred approach to my ego is to get rid of my socialization and conditioning — a collection of usually conflicting and mostly dysfunctional constructs imposed from without that I did not choose — and turn what’s left into my own creation. I am in the process of releasing everything I may have believed myself to be, and replacing it with whatever I choose to be. Far from losing my sense of self, if anything I am gaining one that is self directed, co-created, fluid, evolving and ever-expanding. In a word: free.

So, we may ask what is happening with our body and emotions when we are trying to get rid of our ego and shut down our mind? The result is emotional numbness. People in this state are not aware of anything they call emotions or feelings. This is true even if they are under the influence of strong emotions. On occasion, however, they may have outburst of anger, particularly, under the influence of alcohol and other drugs. They experience physical sensations that accompany emotions but not emotions themselves. They often consume drugs that target physical sensations with an emotional origin. While in this state of emotional unawareness, people are able to inflict great emotional damage on others. Strong emotions that are unacknowledged can cause irrational behavior and pain. People on this level of emotional unawareness can’t develop deep and loving relationships with others. Well, we can’t have a deep and loving relationship with others if we don’t understand them on emotional level. It is called empathy where we don’t need to think about, see, or hear people’s emotions but we sense it. In fact, the empathy is a form of intuition about emotions.

There is another dangerous aspect of New Age belief system associated with the transcendence of the ego. People who follow those teachings don’t have personal boundaries. In fact, they don’t know what personal boundaries mean. As a result, they cross others boundaries, causing pain and emotional hurt. Emotional numbness and the lack of understanding of others boundaries inflict a great pain and damage relationships. I talked earlier about New Age idea that “We are all one”, so I will not repeat myself.

What is the solution? Emotional awareness. It is as simple as that. However, it is not an easy road to achieve the emotional awareness as we were trained to suppress our feelings since our childhood and suppression was intensified by Eastern teachings. I am afraid, that people who are deeply involved in New Age spirituality may not achieve it as the fragmentation of self is very deep. I hope that I am wrong!

My final thoughts. We are here to passionately love, passionately create, and experience this reality through the whole spectrum of feelings and emotions. I was so close to loose what I cherish the most! We are emotional beings and I would not want to loose my feelings and emotions in the name of spiritual enlightenment. In fact, Eastern teachings and New Age teachings offer a spiritual death of the soul.
    And we need to open our eyes and to see pain and suffering of others. We can’t be blind any more!

This is my last post on this tread. I will continue to search and learn. Scott Peck said, “When we are searching, we are learning, when we are learning, we are growing”. I would add that we need to question everything and take our power back! And love. I believe in power of love. But love is a verb!

11. Link to Post #430
    Language
    English
    Thanks

With respect Starnija
    Have you actually read "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle?
    I cant imagine anything less newage.
    You seem to be searching in all the wrong places and taking other peoples word for it.
    There is only one place truth is to be found and that is within through meditation.
    Thousands of years of teachers all pointing to that truth.
    Can they all be wrong?
    Jesus said the Father is within, was he new age?
    True Oneness accepts uniqueness.
    We are all waves of the Divine ocean.
    All I can say is that through personal experience I have found the ancient teachings to be true.
    Regards chris

12. The Following User Says Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Valerie Villars (22nd May 2018)

13. Link to Post #431
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Here is my take on all this

ACIM

http://pg.webring.com/cgi-bin/member...=9970256750114 (some excerpts)

Tue, Jun 26th - 10:28AM
    About Bill Thetford and the CIA

Last fall someone inquired of me about a Web site which puts together a few facts about Bill Thetford’s professional career and then comes up with some preposterous claims regarding his relationship to Helen Schucman and her channeling of A Course in Miracles. More recently, I’ve learned that the Web site in question has fostered some rumors which are spreading among students of the Course as well as non-students who have an affinity for conspiracy theories. Below is an edited version of the letter I wrote in reply to the inquiry of last fall.

To begin, I immediately discounted the Web site you asked me to look at, because it contained what appeared to me to be some wildly outlandish statements and suggestions, beginning with the headline: "ACIM: Lie Down With Dogs, Get Up With Fleas! The MKULTRA Milieu Surrounding the 'Scribing' of A Course In Miracles." That statement in itself immediately announces that the author of the site is out to establish guilt by association -- a strategy that a trial lawyer or tabloid journalist might use, but not a very credible approach to serious consideration.

None of us who are familiar with the facts about Helen Schucman and Bill Thetford could possibly take seriously the claims made on that Web site, but I can see how people who are not familiar with those facts could take them seriously; especially if they are already skeptical about the phenomenon of channeling and even more so if they are not familiar with material actually found in the Course itself.

It has always been clear to me that the Course was not intended to be the basis for a religious organization of any kind. Neither does it encourage proselytizing or setting up study groups. What it means by "teaching," is not formal didactic teaching (or preaching), but teaching love and forgiveness by example; something I think the CIA would have little use for, especially back in the 1950's. That said, it is true that for most of us the Course material is not easy to understand, integrate and apply in spite of the fact that it continually says it is a "simple course." So a teacher and a study group can be helpful. But, the only teacher of the Course in whom I have complete confidence is Kenneth Wapnick, who was intimately associated with Bill and Helen, having first met them in 1972 and then working closely with them to prepare the Course for publication in 1976. When one reads his autobiographical accounts (see links at: KenWapnick.html), it is evident that Ken's own spiritual journey had led him to a place of knowing the message of the Course before he ever read it. He, too, had experienced an inner presence that he recognized in the voice that speaks from the pages of the Course itself. In effect, Ken became Helen's designated teacher of ACIM, while she and Bill preferred to stay in the background after the Course was published. And Ken, who knew Bill and Helen very, very well, just laughed when I told him about the CIA conspiracy theory regarding the Course. He thought Bill would be quite amused and no doubt have some clever remark to make, since Bill had a very good sense of humor. Helen, on the other hand, would probably not have been amused at all. She was very intelligent and could be scathing in criticism when she was so inclined.

Nevertheless, even a glass of water can be misused, let alone a spiritual document. So, in spite of its intent, yes the Course has been misrepresented and misappropriated, sometimes with very unfortunate consequences. As you say, the Endeavor Academy is a case in point. The Course, like the glass of water, can serve a constructive, helpful purpose or a harmful one, depending upon who is making use of it. Obviously the same is true of the Bible, the Koran, and countless other spiritual writings. Likewise, psychology can be misused, which brings me to the CIA and MKULTRA.

According to John Marks in his book The Search for the Manchurian Candidate,[1] back in the Cold War era of the 1950's and 60's the CIA had an interest in being able to make use of the scientific knowledge and professional techniques of psychology. They sought to have rapport with a wide range of psychologists to whom they could have access for information, consultation and research. Consequently, a large number of research projects of various kinds were funded by the CIA through MKULTRA, and a very long list of some of the most distinguished names in psychology benefited from this funding, most of them not having a clue about the nefarious activities of people like Drs. Gottlieb and Cameron which were discovered later. Remember, it was not until the Church committee investigations beginning in 1975 that the unconscionable activities sponsored by MKULTRA funding came to light. But, the mere fact that a particular psychologist's research was funded by the CIA through MKULTRA should not be used to incriminate that psychologist. Neither should the fact that a psychologist was employed by the CIA be used to vilify that person. Back in the fifties, there was a lot of concern about Russia and communism, and there was a high level of public confidence in the CIA. What we've learned since then should not serve to discredit every one of the distinguished psychologists who received funding through MKULTRA, or who was employed by the CIA. The practice of guilt by association, which the Web site in question attempts, is reminiscent of another phenomenon of the late 1940's - early 1950's: McCarthyism.

Among the psychologists whose research was funded by the CIA through MKULTRA was the widely known and beloved Dr. Carl Rogers, who was instrumental in the development of what has become known as "humanistic psychology," and who founded the "Person-Centered Approach" to psychotherapy. His goal was not to manipulate, brain wash and deceive people, but to free them from their conflicts so that they could become "fully functioning" persons -- "self-actualizing" human beings. Yet he received funding for some of his research through the CIA's MKULTRA program, just as did Bill Thetford and Helen Schucman.

In his book Marks discusses and quotes Rogers as follows:

Although he says he would have nothing to do with secret Agency activities today, he asks for understanding in light of the climate of the 1950s. "We really did regard Russia as the enemy," declares Rogers, "and we were trying to do various things to make sure the Russians did not get the upper hand." Rogers received an important professional reward for joining the Society [of Human Ecology] board. Executive Director James Monroe had let him know that, once he agreed to serve, he could expect to receive a Society grant. "That appealed to me because I was having trouble getting funded," says Rogers. "Having gotten that grant [about $30,000 over three years], it made it possible to get other grants from Rockefeller and NIMH." Rogers still feels grateful to the Society for helping him establish a funding "track record," but he emphasizes that the Agency never had any effect on his research.

It is common for psychologists to seek government funding for their research projects, and in the "publish or perish" climate of prestigious universities like Columbia it is not surprising that some of the work done by Bill Thetford and Helen Schucman received funding through MKULTRA. But it is hardly accurate to characterize that research as being directed toward "brain washing," any more than it would be accurate to characterize Roger's work that way.

My principle point here is that it is important to understand the historical context for the MKULTRA funding as well as to realize that not all of the psychological research funded by the CIA was of the dishonest and inhumane sort carried out by Gottlieb, et. al.

Another example of legitimate psychological research funded in part by the CIA is Dr. John Gittinger's "Personality Assessment System," or PAS. This system was of particular interest to Bill Thetford and Helen Schucman for very sound professional reasons, and it utilized one of the intelligence and personality assessment tests which has been a standard in the psychology profession for decades: the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scales (WAIS) which were a refinement of the earlier Wechsler-Bellview Intelligence Scales. Gittinger began his work on the PAS in 1948-49 when he was a psychologist at Central State Hospital in Norman, Oklahoma. To this day, the PAS is utilized by professional psychologists who are responsible for psychological diagnosis in connection with mental health treatment. Following are some excerpts from the PAS Web site:

Psychologist Dr. John Gittinger conceived the fundamental idea behind the Personality Assessment System, or PAS, many years ago when he observed that our personalities are shaped, to a large extent, by the way we use the several components of our intellect. He realized that each person learns to cope with life by using (or not using) the intellectual strengths and overcoming (or not overcoming) the intellectual weaknesses that she or he may have learned or acquired by genetic endowment. He saw that, over the period of our maturation into adulthood, this process produces what we call each person's "personality." The result, in other words, for each of us, is a coherent pattern for how to "do" life....

Even John Marks, in his anti-CIA book, In Search of the Manchurian Candidate, recognized and reported that the most positive development during the 1950's and 1960's in the CIA was the Personality Assessment System....

After Dr. Gittinger’s retirement from government service in 1978, many of the psychologists with whom he had worked developed university affiliations. Students at such prestigious institutions as Cornell University, The Ohio State University, The University of Missouri, and American International College are among those who have been provided with an opportunity to learn to analyze and interpret PAS profiles. Further, the Gittinger Assessment Center, established at Hocking College in 1984, serves as a site for training, resources, information, data collection, and future development of the PAS.

It is quite understandable to me that Bill Thetford and Helen Schucman would have an interest in the PAS and in conducting research with it. Certainly any psychological test (like the glass of water I mentioned) could be used for unethical purposes of manipulation and control. However, Bill and Helen, like Carl Rogers, were psychologists interested in helping people. Helen's particular interest was in children, and particularly mentally retarded children.

So, some of the research Bill and Helen engaged in was funded through MKULTRA, but it is not accurate to characterize their interest as having to do with "mind control," nor is it accurate to characterize the entire body of research funded through MKULTRA that way. Further, much of what went on under the aegis of the Human Ecology Society was of legitimate interest to professional psychologists and that Society may even have helped the science of psychology to move in a broader, more humanistic direction. To quote John Marks again:

By investing up to $400,000 a year into the early, innovative work of men like Carl Rogers, Charles Osgood, and Martin Orne, the CIA's Human Ecology Society helped liberate the behavioral sciences from the world of rats and cheese. With a push from the Agency as well as other forces, the field opened up.

Now, to summarize Bill Thetford's professional career.

When he graduated from DePauw University in 1944, he was uncertain about what he wanted to do. He had majored in psychology but also enrolled in the pre-med program. Even though he was accepted at the University of Chicago medical school, he still wasn't sure he wanted to study medicine, so he decided to apply for a job at the University and wait to make a decision about whether to enroll in their med school. The job he got involved work as an administrator with the Manhattan Project with responsibilities for supervising certain buildings and for radiation decontamination. Robert Skutch[2] quotes Bill about this job:

The atmosphere in our department at the time was an extremely exciting one. There was a sense of utmost urgency and high sense of national priority to the work being done...It was the belief of the scientific community that the Nazis had already progressed very far in the development of atomic energy, and that we were in a life or death race with them.

Remember, this was before the end of World War II and the social/political climate in the U.S. was profoundly affected by that war as well as the "Cold War" which followed.

Bill finally decided not to enter medical school, but when the atomic bombs were dropped he was horrified at the devastation and quit his job. Skutch quotes him regarding his next step:

A few weeks later Dr. Carl Rogers arrived on campus. Although I knew nothing about Rogers, who even then was one of the most eminent names in the field of psychology, I signed up for his first course on Client centered Psychotherapy, simply because some of the graduate students I knew recommended that I do so.

Rogers immediately recognized a very intelligent student with keen insight into what Rogers was teaching and to Bill's dismay Rogers appointed him as a teaching assistant and then invited him to become Rogers' research assistant.

In 1949 Bill received his Ph.D. from the University of Chicago after completing research related to Rogers' theory. Again, Skutch quotes Bill:

I was intrigued with the possibility of measuring the autonomic nervous system and its functions before and after Rogerian therapy...Rogers was very impressed by this study, and I was actually stunned that I had found any significant results at all.....In March 1949, somewhat to my surprise, I received my Ph.D. However, I still had no real awareness of the field of psychology...Although I had met many eminent people during my studies...no one seemed to have any awareness of how these specialized areas of knowledge could be synthesized.

Even though Bill lacked confidence in his own qualifications it seems evident that many others were quite impressed with him. This kind of situation involving Bill's humility and the high regard of others appears to have characterized much of his early professional career. After Chicago, at the suggestion of a friend, he applied for and was accepted into a position at Michael Reese Hospital in Chicago where he worked in research involving schizophrenic patients and patterns of response to the Rorschach inkblot test. This was done under the direction of Dr. Samuel Beck, a leading authority on the Rorschach, about which Bill knew nothing. But, in what by now seems to be characteristic fashion, Beck was quite impressed with Bill and even regarded his lack of experience with the Rorschach as a positive factor since it meant that he would not bring bias into his studies. Bill stayed on in this program under Beck for 2 1/2 years, and it is during this time that he was introduced to Freudian psychoanalytic theory, which was contrary to Rogers' theories. Skutch quotes Bill about this period as saying:

One thing I felt strongly about, both during graduate studies and afterwards at Michael Reese, was that I did not in any way wish to be a university professor...I had already turned down several offers...I felt I had nothing to profess. Also, I did not feel that university life was something that I would happily adapt to.

Bill subsequently moved on to enroll in the Washington School of Psychiatry in Washington. D.C., because he was intrigued by the eminent Dr. Harry Stack Sullivan's interpersonal theory of psychiatry which focused upon interpersonal relations rather than the individual psychodynamics of Freudian psychology. This was during the period 1951-54 when, in addition to being a post-graduate student at the Washington School of Psychiatry, Bill was employed as a psychologist for the U.S. government. This is when Bill’s association with the CIA began. I could not find details of his government employment, although one source states that during 1953 Bill served as a consultant to the Foreign Service Institute in Beirut, Lebanon.

Skutch quotes Bill about the next phase of his career:

When I completed the study program at the Washington School, I was undecided about what to do next. Since I had long been attracted to New York City, I decided to go there to look for a position. The head of the Psychological Placement Service at the N.Y. State Employment Service said he had absolutely the perfect job for me...What he had in mind was the Directorship of the Psychology Department at the Institute of Living in Hartford Connecticut.

The Institute for Living is a very well known mental health treatment center and hospital, which was founded in 1822, being one of the first mental health facilities of its kind in the U.S. Bill stayed there as Director of the Division of Psychology from 1954 to 1955 when he moved to the Human Ecology Study Program at Cornell University Medical College. About this, Skutch quotes Bill as saying:

After a year at Hartford I received a call from Dr. Harold G. Wolff, one of the founders of psychosomatic medicine, a leading authority on stress disorders, and at the time Chairman of the Department of Neurology at Cornell...Dr. Wolf offered me an appointment as Chief Psychologist in the Human Ecology Study Program which he was directing. My uneasiness about becoming involved in a university position had mellowed somewhat by this time and I decided to consider an academic appointment. As a result, I accepted Dr. Wolff's offer, and before I knew it I became an instructor and a year later was promoted to assistant professor.

The idea of taking an ecological approach to the psychological study of human beings intrigued Bill and fit in with his general tendency to be attracted to unconventional approaches to psychology which emphasized understanding people in the context of their family relationships as well as their socio-cultural and natural environment. John Marks characterizes Wolff as not only being brilliant, but also as arrogant and quite interested in helping the CIA find ways to both manipulate human beings as well as train them to resist such manipulation, but there is nothing in Bill's history to suggest that he shared these kinds of interests. There is nothing in Bill's story to indicate that he himself had any interest in brain washing, hypnosis, drug-induced states or the like. Whether he had any knowledge of these activities being carried on with CIA sponsorship through MKULTRA is unclear to me, but I think it is unlikely that he did. Anyway, he stayed on at the Human Ecology Study Program from 1955-57, and then, upon the urging of a friend, applied for and -- even though rather unsure of himself -- took a very challenging job at Columbia University where he began in 1958 as an Associate Professor of Medical Psychology and Director of the Division of Clinical Psychology at Columbia-Presbyterian Hospital.

Apparently he was fascinated by his work under Wolf at Cornell, and the job at Columbia had been subject to controversy because members of the search committee could not agree upon a candidate. Faculty politics can be quite conflicted and difficult. In fact, it was this very kind of difficulty that later led Bill to make his famous speech to Helen where he said that there must be a better way for them to relate to each other as well as to their colleagues. They had been involved in some bitter, acrimonious interpersonal conflicts by June of 1965 when he made that speech, and when Helen -- surprisingly -- immediately agreed with him and said she was willing to help. This event led to the scribing of the Course following a series of unusual dreams and visions on Helen's part during the summer of 1965.

The story of Bill's relationship to Helen began when he hired her as a research assistant at Columbia in 1958. Shortly after assuming his position at Columbia, he found that his new job was going to demand much more from him than he had imagined, or been led to believe. As he was getting himself oriented and setting some priorities, the Dean of the College notified him that the University had received a large grant from the National Institute of Neurological Diseases for conducting a cooperative study of neurological and sensory deficits in infants and young children. A research psychologist with special training and skill in working with children and in psychological testing was needed. Helen became that psychologist and seven years later she and Bill became involved with the scribing of ACIM. From then on, their work with the Course was kept a carefully guarded secret, because it would certainly have jeopardized their professional status as well as their employment.

Helen herself had a very strong and assertive personality. As I mentioned, she and Bill had much difficulty in their relationship, which was one of the factors leading up to Bill's earnest plea for "a better way." Anyone who knew Helen would find it ludicrous that somehow Bill could have used "mind control" techniques to influence her!

In conclusion, I'll quote a few passages from D. Patrick Miller's book:[3]

Whether one views it as happenstance of predestined preparation, several major elements of Thetford's character made him suitable to become Schucman's helper in the recording of the Course. Perhaps most significant was his reluctance to "profess" a distinct philosophy of his own. It's safe to assume that few academics of his status could have resisted the temptation to revise, add to, or even co-opt a major project on which they were assisting a junior colleague, regardless of the project's nature or origin.

Second, Thetford's intellectual curiosity and flexibility would counterbalance Schucman's judgmental tendency, and help both of them deal with a system of psycho-spiritual thought that substantially challenged their psychoanalytic training. Thetford's brush with humanistic psychology may have also prepared him for the transpersonal dimensions of the Course material.

Finally, the younger professor's passivity is probably what made it possible for him to tolerate Helen Schucman's contrariness, albeit not happily. It remains a sad irony that the tenuous balance of the relationship between the two Course recorders never matured into a healthy reciprocity. In 1977, the year following publication of the Course, Schucman was forced to retire from Columbia-Presbyterian at age sixty-eight...In 1978 Thetford took early retirement and moved to California.

I'll just repeat that revelations about unethical and illegal activities sponsored by the CIA through MKULTRA only began to surface as a result of the Church committee investigations in 1975. The last date I see for a joint psychological publication by Thetford and Schucman is 1972, though Bill continued his role in the MKULTRA-sponsored personality research project 130 until he retired. That project was professionally sound, utilized the PAS, and would only have been of use to the CIA in the same indirect way that the research of Carl Rogers and many other legitimate psychologists would have been. I think that the reason for keeping that project classified is that the CIA hoped to prevent the Russians and other foreign countries from either knowing about or making use of psychological research sponsored by the CIA in the United States.

Perhaps this summary about Bill and his relationship with Helen will help you to understand why I regard the "mind control" allegations of the Web site you have brought to my attention as preposterous. If you want to know more about the history of the Course, you'll have to do more reading, but you might also watch the video entitled, "The Story of A Course in Miracles" which is available from the Course publisher, the Foundation for Inner Peace. See their catalog at: http://www.acim.org/Catalog/SectionFrame.htm

It appears Mkultra was funding research on the Peronality Assesment System by university psychologists, which like anything could be used to help others or for nefarious purposes. Obviously the CIA was interested in using it to catergorize peoples personality's for mind control purposes. The university psychologists developing it ( Ie bill, helen and others) however, wanted to use it to help others and improve modern psychology. We all know these projects are highly compartmentalized. They were not being told as university pschologists that they were developing mind control to be used against the population. They were being told they were helping the country by coming up with this system. Furthermore, the work on the Personality Assesment System bill was involved in (at a university not an underground base or cia laboratory) is completely unrelated to the work on ACIM he did later. The articles attacking ACIM seem to be making highly exaggerated unsubstantiated claims many of which appear to have been just made up. It's very important that we still stick to the principle of dont believe everything you read on the internet .

There is obviously an infiltration of the new age movement, it would be a major surprise if there wasn't. That does not discount the entire movement. Much like any infiltration of the conspiracy, ufology etc movements would not discount them. The core of every philisophical teaching has has the same basic principles (some more distorted than others).

There is one creator and he loves you
    Focus on love forgiveness acceptence
    Etc

The eastern religions, gnostics, christian texts like the nag hammadi etc, kabalah and worldwide native traditions all focus on

We are one
    Reincarnation
    Energy field (chi, prana etc)
    Reality is an illusion
    meditation
    etc

The illuminati also believe these principles and they do so for a reason. This is exemplified in the matrix movie, star wars (where they mention "the force" literally saying it is an energy field that surrounds and penetrates us) and many other places. Just because they practice the dark side of the "occult" (or the force) doesn't mean there isn't another positive side to it.

The illuminati were also planning on what they call "the revealing" which was discussed in great detail by the whislteblower svali. It was the old world order (ie nazis rockerfellers) that were planning on genocide (although the illuminati probably didn't object much). They have interest in promoting these new age ideas (which arn't new) to slowly get people used to these ideas which they mix with luciferian philosophy to, as svaili puts it, (a rough quotation) "usher in a joyful luciferian golden age of peace". They believe there is a golden age that is coming but they also beleive that they are the ones that have to usher in this "new world order"which goes all the way back to roman cybiline prophecy (and there is a whole lot more detail on all this). They think they are doing whats in the best interest for everyone.

I honestly believe Alice bailey was channeling a positive source. I also believe she was influenced by the illuminati, fremasonry and other luciferian mystery schools as well as her own theosophical beliefs and that is what motivated her to create the "lucis trust" (which was further infiltrated and added to the UN NGO roster in 1989) and even edit some of her own material. Much of what is said about her on the internet is also exaggerated.

When people start channeling they automatically become a target for negative entities. Thats when they start to mix in negative philosophy, egocentric beliefs, dates that don't come true etc
    This is what I think happened to many channels (and is still happening) including blavatsky. Although I think she was also probably experimenting with freemasonry and such as well which biased her beliefs.

When you really get into good new age material it isn't much different than the new testament. The same principles of love, forgiveness, acceptence, prayer etc are all present. In fact, the only real difference is that new age philosophy doesn't say jesus was the only son of god, but still says he existed and was a very advanced positive entity. Jesus himself never says he is the only son of god. He says he is the "son of man" and refers to "my father" but that can be interpreted in any way. He clarifies it in the nag hammadi from "my father" to our father and says that we all come from "the father".
    Last edited by derek; 25th August 2010 at 23:37.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to derek For This Post:

Atlas (10th August 2013), Valerie Villars (22nd May 2018)

15. Link to Post #432
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,091 times in 601 posts

Quote Posted by frank samuel (here)
    In all fairness as a young man studying to become a man of the cloth following in the footsteps of many of my family members. The Bible and the message stood as the ideal, yet for many man and woman of the cloth there seem to be two extreme realities. My mom for example was almost rape by a rev., her life savings was stolen by another , yet another try to exorcise the demons from my mom after my mom suffer a nervous breakdown. A harsh reality from a young aspiring rev. was to know that most of my peers where just mere charlatans hiding behind the Bible. Is there's such a thing as devils these man of the cloth was a clear representation of that perceived reality. After hearing the confessions of many Reverend and pastors of several denominations I woke up and said this world is not for me. For leaving the church and renouncing my calling I was branded a heretic. Off I went in search of the truth, 30 years later the only truth I could find was within my heart. This truth is the love and compassion of the origin of all things, everything else has been tainted by those so call representatives of GOD. This is just the experience of one man, yet many of my friends who branded me as a heretic years later told me that they also fell into the same trap and became a very poor example of the ideal they where trying to teach. You can use the good book to judge others, the irony is that unless we ourselves can live the words another thousand years will come and go and all we will be doing is just talking . Is time for each individual to become responsible for his or her own actions not blame it on God or Satan if they cannot live in harmony with themselves and others. We have all the tools we need to create a better world for ourselves our families and neighbors. I know I got my wake up call. So while this thread is about mind control it is appropriate to say that in general we are just daydreamers . Live and love my friends, it makes absolutely no difference to me what your belief are, all that matters is the heart that is vibrating with the frequency of love , forgiveness and compassion even for those who have harm us in one way or another.

Many blessings to all..
    Good post! Worthy of reconsideration.
    ~ If nothing changes then nothing changes ~

16. The Following User Says Thank You to HORIZONS For This Post:

ulli (10th August 2013)

17. Link to Post #433
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,228 times in 3,216 posts

Quote Posted by derek (here)
    According to John Marks in his book The Search for the Manchurian Candidate, back in the Cold War era of the 1950's and 60's the CIA had an interest in being able to make use of the scientific knowledge and professional techniques of psychology.

They sought to have rapport with a wide range of psychologists to whom they could have access for information, consultation and research.

Consequently, a large number of research projects of various kinds were funded by the CIA through MKULTRA, and a very long list of some of the most distinguished names in psychology benefited from this funding, most of them not having a clue about the nefarious activities of people like Drs. Gottlieb and Cameron which were discovered later.

18. Link to Post #434
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,075 times in 1,638 posts

Quote Posted by starninja (here)
    I don’t believe David Wilcock at all. He was endorsed by Uri Geller. Well, Uri Geller was connected to Andrija Puharich and “the Nine”.

teachings.
    Could you elaborate on "At all" You mean everything he says is wrong? Just curious...

19. Link to Post #435
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Moving from the physical to the metaphysical---it is beyond the God concept--we are the mirror of the creator--our own higher power and bestow-er of greatness.
    Soul is eternal and wise---exemplary and riveting in all thought and action
    Ego creates culture and doctrine to follow on this physical plane--we shed the need to bow to any religious order--and seek what was always within to find our eternal glory in this subclassification we refer to as New Age(a slight misnomer in my opinion)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Veiled Rain For This Post:

greybeard (10th August 2013)

21. Link to Post #436
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,666 times in 638 posts

Wild Wild Country review – Netflix’s take on the cult that threatened American life
    5 / 5 stars

Chapman and Maclain Way’s absorbing six-parter covers the rise and fall of the notorious Rajneeshpuram community more extensively than any show before it.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...-american-life

I have just finished this incredible series, about the infiltration of the new age movement. I could write an essay but if you are interested in what happened in Oregon, please take the time to watch the series.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunwings For This Post:

Iancorgi (22nd May 2018), Valerie Villars (22nd May 2018)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst 1 12 22