+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lets Make a List of Barter Items

1. Link to Post #21
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Default Re: Lets Make a List of Barter Items

Quote Posted by Arrowwind (here)
    Bartering I do not see as the fairest form of trade. There needs to be some form of other exchange.. for what will the elderly do? the infirmed or handicapped? those with little skills in food or machines?

Some people have skills that few others need yet the skills are still valuable to some. with currency of some form they can be rewarded, paid, and take the fruits of their labor to attain what they need for survivial from people who make what is needed.

Its rather cumbersome to have to barter for all that you need. A lot of hauling around of STUFF, a lot of need to learn how porduce many many things.
    But now you bring currency into it. Any form of currency will just lead us to the problems the worlds in now do to it. Currency needs to be left behind permnantly. Now maybe I'm misunderstanding what your trying to say tho.

2. Link to Post #22
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,543 times in 2,615 posts

Quote Posted by pyriel (here)
    Bartering I do not see as the fairest form of trade. There needs to be some form of other exchange.. for what will the elderly do? the infirmed or handicapped? those with little skills in food or machines?

Some people have skills that few others need yet the skills are still valuable to some. with currency of some form they can be rewarded, paid, and take the fruits of their labor to attain what they need for survivial from people who make what is needed.

Its rather cumbersome to have to barter for all that you need. A lot of hauling around of STUFF, a lot of need to learn how porduce many many things.
    But now you bring currency into it. Any form of currency will just lead us to the problems the worlds in now do to it. Currency needs to be left behind permnantly. Now maybe I'm misunderstanding what your trying to say tho.
    What I am trying to say is that many people do not have much of anything to barter. What shall become of them? this is of my greatest concern.

Currency has allowed for greater variety in trade opportunity. It has also allowed for the building of estate, for strong families and for the time and opportunity for invention. It is not the currency that is a problem that I can see but in the corrupt misuse of labor and the absurd valuations of some labors, as well as usuary, as well as financial markets... much of which should not be permitted to exist.

to me currency should be akin to work credits... as essentially it is now but the valuation is all wrong. No one should work all day and still not have enough to pay the rent and feed their kids.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Arrowwind For This Post:

firstlook (5th August 2011), Isthatso (5th August 2011), nottelling (12th October 2011), risveglio (12th October 2011), sheme (15th August 2016)

4. Link to Post #23
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

I absolutely agree!

5. Link to Post #24
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,961 times in 687 posts

Matches. Want to eat hot or warm food?
    Tobacco. Read any book about post-war Germany. Smokers have to have their smoke.
    Alcohol. Drinkers gotta drink.
    Coffee. Caffeine addicts crave it.
    Sugar.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lost Soul For This Post:

nottelling (12th October 2011), Tane Mahuta (7th August 2011)

7. Link to Post #25
    United States Avalon Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,794 times in 6,634 posts

so if the SHTF big time what would you need to get by?
    What do you have to trade with?
    What could you stock pile for barter?
    Thought it might be good to awaken folks to the idea
    of barter and to help them think about these things...
    Bater can include services as well as goods

Things for Barter that I already have and does not include what my husband can offer:

SEEDS
    Vodka
    Ever Clear
    Matches
    Candles
    MMS
    Calcium Hypochlorite (MMS 2)
    Antibiotics
    Pain Pills
    Vitamin C
    Alternative medical care
    Conventional medical care - pre and post natal, suturing and other wound cares
    Sugar
    Vinegar
    gardening tools
    Water hose repair kits
    Bed linens..
    cloth diapers/pins
    trash bags it's all worthless if it gets rained on or dropped in water/streams/rivers.
    Raiding the Matrix One Mind at a Time ...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ghostrider For This Post:

nottelling (12th October 2011), Tane Mahuta (7th August 2011)

9. Link to Post #26
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,543 times in 2,615 posts

files to sharpen saws
    machine oils
    a manual butter churner
    paper and writing materials
    Darning needles and thread
    Stevia
    a fire flint
    duct tape

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arrowwind For This Post:

Carmen (8th July 2011), nottelling (12th October 2011), Tane Mahuta (7th August 2011)

11. Link to Post #27
    United States Moderator Marianne's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,392 times in 2,258 posts

• Vodka and olive oil for making herbal medicines.
    • Glass bottles and jars to store them in.
    • Mortar and pestle to hand-grind dried herbs.

Re what the elderly and infirm will do, I see people banding together into some sort of community, because it will be necessary and will make life easier to share chores and skills. The community would include everyone. And everyone has something to contribute. It's an error to think elderly and infirm people can't contribute valuable and tangible assets to the group. There would be a lot of 'drudgery' type work to be done, and unless someone's in a coma, they can do little tasks like shell peas, snap beans, hand sew, knit, as well as teach others what they know, like how to sew and knit. All that the older people have learned can be taught to the younger ones.
    Maybe it's not exactly barter, but it's an exchange.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Marianne For This Post:

Arrowwind (13th October 2011), nottelling (12th October 2011), pilotsimone (13th October 2011), Tane Mahuta (7th August 2011), ulli (5th August 2011)

13. Link to Post #28
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Ammit (here)
    Bleach. People will need safe water........
    MMS will also purify water

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lancelot For This Post:

Marianne (5th August 2011), nottelling (12th October 2011), Tane Mahuta (7th August 2011)

15. Link to Post #29
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,625 times in 516 posts

Quote Posted by Carmen (here)
    Horses for transportation. Goats or cows for milk. Sheep, alpacas for fibre. Dogs for protection. These are all great for barter also.
    I'll trade you my dog for that rice sack.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to firstlook For This Post:

nottelling (12th October 2011), sheme (15th August 2016), Tane Mahuta (6th August 2011)

17. Link to Post #30
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,625 times in 516 posts

Quote Posted by pyriel (here)

What I am trying to say is that many people do not have much of anything to barter. What shall become of them? this is of my greatest concern.

Currency has allowed for greater variety in trade opportunity. It has also allowed for the building of estate, for strong families and for the time and opportunity for invention. It is not the currency that is a problem that I can see but in the corrupt misuse of labor and the absurd valuations of some labors, as well as usuary, as well as financial markets... much of which should not be permitted to exist.

to me currency should be akin to work credits... as essentially it is now but the valuation is all wrong. No one should work all day and still not have enough to pay the rent and feed their kids.

It seems that currency and even the items exchanged themselves are not actually the basis for a healthy community, but instead the ease of exchange and value. Everyones values differ due to goals and desires, this is why the process is difficult. IMO.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to firstlook For This Post:

Marianne (5th August 2011), nottelling (12th October 2011), Tane Mahuta (7th August 2011)

19. Link to Post #31
    Thanks

In April we lost power for a number of days (tornados). We had to live in a semi-pioneer way. I did communal cooking with another family, because it was more work to do everything without all our conveniences. We all brought our food together and ate together at each meal. It was a valuable experience, and I brought away from it the notion that in a crisis, we don't have to be isolated, as we tend to be now. We exchanged our labor and skills and food, and it worked for the short term. I know long term communal life would not necessarily be a smooth ride. But I like the idea of each one bringing to the table what they have to offer, and accepting from others what they have to offer.
    Hope I'm not getting the thread off topic of barter.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Marianne For This Post:

Anno (6th August 2011), firstlook (6th August 2011), nottelling (12th October 2011), Tane Mahuta (7th August 2011)

21. Link to Post #32
    New Zealand Avalon Member Tane Mahuta's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,565 times in 726 posts

Quote Posted by Anno (here)
    Why has noone said Sex yet? The world's oldest profession.
    And the sharing of knowledge, the world's second oldest profession.
    Anno! TM would be more than happy to give it freely!!(whoopsie! wrong forum)
    1. Medicines
    2. Hand Tools
    3. Seeds
    4. Water
    5. Fuel
    6. Food tinned/Sealed
    7. Clothing
    8. Shelter/Tent
    9. Vehicle/mobile home
    10. cooking oven/BBQ
    11. Labour of Trade
    12. Animals

Oh yeah....nearly forgot the "tinfoil hat"

TM
    Last edited by Tane Mahuta; 6th August 2011 at 07:08.
    "Seek the Truth.....and the Truth shall set you free!!!"

22. Link to Post #33
    Great Britain Avalon Retired Member Anno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,240 times in 567 posts

Quote Posted by Junebug (here)
    In April we lost power for a number of days (tornados). We had to live in a semi-pioneer way.[...]
    I have a question for you. Once you realised you were going to be ok, how much fun was it? Before you realise you'll be fine, it can be very very scary. Does the amount of fear balance the amount of fun? You've had a little advance preview of what a lot of people are afraid of and here you are still glad of the experience. I would trade your experience as it is rare/valuable.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anno For This Post:

pilotsimone (13th October 2011), Tane Mahuta (7th August 2011)

24. Link to Post #34
    Thanks

Anno, for sure, knowing we would eventually get power back made a huge psychological difference. At first, when there were many tornados ripping through the state, it was scary. Tornados are unpredictable. In the end, we were very lucky and had minimal damage in my mountain neighborhood, but there was a fatality in another part of town.
    I have to try and find something good in a bad experience--otherwise I woud lose hope. So yes, it was fun to bump up against the challenge of living with as much humanity as I could. Springtime is a good time of year for a disaster-- not too hot, not too cold, got the summer ahead of you to recover.
    I started a list of stuff I wished I'd stashed. Lamp oil for the hurricane lamps--much better than using candles. A good battery radio. Less stuff in the freezer and more dried food. A better way to get water.
    But knowing all the turmoil and angst of the many who lost a great deal, tempers the positive feelings. My heart broke for the good people who happened to be in the path of devastation. But even that was balanced by the good Samaritans who came forward to help. The radio stations became points where people communicated, giving to those who needed help -- even things like medicine, and the restaurants gave away meals because they knew food would go bad. It was heartening to see neighbors working together.
    I wondered if it would be different if we knew the power wouldn't be back on, that there was no help coming. I hope not.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marianne For This Post:

Anno (6th August 2011), nottelling (12th October 2011), Tane Mahuta (7th August 2011)

26. Link to Post #35
    United States Avalon Member DNA's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,654 times in 4,302 posts

I remember reading the John Titor story, and wether you think it legit or not is not important.
    Some one asked him once "what is the most important thing to have when society fails?"
    Titor responded "Ten people you trust your life with".
    I must agree with this.

27. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DNA For This Post:

Anno (6th August 2011), Artemesia (6th August 2011), Casey Claar (2nd July 2022), Marianne (6th August 2011), nottelling (12th October 2011), pilotsimone (13th October 2011), Tane Mahuta (7th August 2011)

28. Link to Post #36
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,662 times in 306 posts

The world's oldest profession is MIDWIFERY.

The phrase you've repeated above is just part of the hijack.
    Reorienting, reframing, revaluing our world begins NOW.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Artemesia For This Post:

Anno (6th August 2011), Tane Mahuta (7th August 2011), TelosianEmbrace (17th October 2011)

30. Link to Post #37
    Australia Avalon Member TigaHawk's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,103 times in 742 posts

Tools (Skinning Knives, Hammers, etc)

Maps and Compass - and instruction on how to use them (Honestly, this day and age how many do you think would know how to use?? )

Glass Bottles (water storage and purification)

Knowledge on how to make do without technology. IE how many people do you think will know to age meat? They'd know to go hunting to get the meat - they'd not understand why its so tough and stringy and untastefull.

The same goes for building shelter, water purification systems, making and tanning hide, how to turn wool from a sheep into something they can work with a needle and thread. You could trade little instruction booklets, or lessons, for goods.

Painkillers and Alcohol would be a top seller. I'd advise on keeping a stockpile for yourselves - people these day's are wusses (myself included) and tend to pop a pill on the first onset of pain. When supplies are limited and your'e forced to restrict it untill they REALY are in pain and need of it..... tho you'd probably get some incredibly good offers. Myself, when in pain great pain, would pay tenfold for something to ease it than i would when not in pain.

Everything else i thought up is allready listed.

Just a note with MMS tho. The Citric solution - doesnot store indefinately if it it is allready in a bottle of water. I learnt this as i had not used mine for a while and went to make some to notice the activation solution had white floaties/fungus stuff in it. And yes - i store mine in a cupboard that is rarely opend and is well sealed. Light was not getting to it.
    Last edited by TigaHawk; 6th August 2011 at 15:41.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TigaHawk For This Post:

Marianne (6th August 2011), nottelling (12th October 2011), Tane Mahuta (7th August 2011)

32. Link to Post #38
    Great Britain Avalon Retired Member Anno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,240 times in 567 posts

[...] I wondered if it would be different if we knew the power wouldn't be back on, that there was no help coming. I hope not.
    I like to think that would just cement everything. Yes some would freak out and go insane, cause harm and whatnot, but some would say, "well, we're doing alright so far, so how about we take it one day at a time and see what happens?"

I for one would like to hear a lot more and I'm sure other people would. Maybe you could start a thread about what happened? There is a lot of fear around based on 'what if' but you have actually been through it and you're still here. You could do a lot of good sharing some truth.

Quote Posted by Artemesia (here)
    The world's oldest profession is MIDWIFERY.

The phrase you've repeated above is just part of the hijack.
    Reorienting, reframing, revaluing our world begins NOW.
    Serious Response: I love finding words that have had their meaning changed and how that has changed our perception. Ty for giving me a new one to look in to. Do you have any links or sources that might be helpful?

UnSerious Response: You don't need the midwife till after you've had the sex, so surely they'd come further down the chain? =P

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anno For This Post:

DNA (7th August 2011), Marianne (6th August 2011), Tane Mahuta (7th August 2011)

34. Link to Post #39
    Thanks

Anno, I'd be happy to share my experiences -- but I can't start a thread, being a provisional member. I'm not sure how long it takes to become a full fledged member.
    And yes, it helped to take it one day at a time, because of the unknowns.

35. Link to Post #40
    Thanks
    Thanked 127,138 times in 13,482 posts

Anno, I'd be happy to share my experiences -- but I can't start a thread, being a provisional member. I'm not sure how long it takes to become a full fledged member.
    And yes, it helped to take it one day at a time, because of the unknowns.
    With your next post...ten was always the magic number, and I can tell you are there now.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to ulli For This Post:

Marianne (6th August 2011)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast