+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 4

Thread: I had the "census knock" this morning, it's that time again, fellow Aussies...

1. Link to Post #61
    Palestinian Territory Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,087 times in 6,275 posts

Default Re: I had the "census knock" this morning, it's that time again, fellow Aussies...

Hospital Products Ltd v United States Surgical Corporation [1984] HCA 64; (1984) 156 CLR 41 (25 October 1984)
    http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/si...mercial%20code
    Last edited by Lord Sidious; 2nd August 2011 at 13:25.

2. Link to Post #62
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,784 times in 3,539 posts

Default Re: I had the "census knock" this morning, it's that time again, fellow Aussies...

My dog ate it? Look best to say, I'm moving so I'll do it in the other state I'm moving to. That will send them off. by nex "state" I mean relm. Have a good day.

3. Link to Post #63
    Thanks

i refused to fill out the census last year. ( i live in the states) They came to my apartment building everyday for weeks looking for tenants in apartment #3 and i avoided them. After i realized they were not going to go away, i finally just told her to stop coming here because whoever they are looking for in apt #3 is not there and that it is vacant. she said according the landlord, apartment #3 was occupied. I said well lets go check! Walked her up to my apartment, knocked on the door (no answer obviously because i was standing right outside the door!). then i told her that i live in that apartment (pointed to my side door with no # on it) and that i haven't seen anyone come out of that door (pointing to my front door) since i moved in. Which is true because i always use the side door, and have never once used that front door. She was satisfied with my flexed truth. They stopped coming to my house after that day.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to spelsylver For This Post:

astrid (2nd August 2011), bluestflame (1st August 2016), Draco (2nd August 2011), Lord Sidious (2nd August 2011)

5. Link to Post #64
    Australia Avalon Member bluestflame's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,500 times in 1,808 posts

Default Re: I had the

no longer anonymous this year , i'm thinking UN database , finalising plans lot of interesting posts going round that seem to engage the emotions pushing ( manipulating ) people into filling out this years census , in light of current world events re: privacy , data retention etc , if it's important to THEM , that we fill it out , it should be a huge red flag to us

heard a mention the Oz govt were instructed by UN to sell off all public owned assets , CHECK

i rekon new census has something to do with finalising preperations with a name to go with the statistics , that worries me

https://www.efa.org.au/privacy/census-2016/

Quote Census 2016
    ABS CC-BY
    ABS CC-BY

The Australian Bureau of Statistics is implementing a significant change for the 2016 Census, due to be conducted on 9th August.

While most people support the concept of the census, which is used as a key data source for all sorts of policy decisions across both public and private sectors, some people do have concerns about the privacy issues involved with of such a data collection project.

Such concerns tend to focus on the considerable intensity of personal data collected by modern Census forms, and by the legal obligation to answer every single question (except religion), irrespective of sensitivities.

The changes implemented for the 2016 Census are significant and are likely to increase privacy concerns.
    AND

Quote As reported by Independent Australia, former statistician Bill McLennan has said that the 2016 Census is, “without doubt […] the most significant invasion of privacy ever perpetrated on Australians by the ABS”. There are number of concerning changes to the 2016 Census. Mainly:

Every person’s identity will remain linked to the data collected, forever1
    There is some debate over whether the retention period is four years, or indefinite. However, as former ABS staffer Ross Hamilton points out, the ABS is proposing only to update identifiable information based on the 2020 Census, not to strip identifying information entirely after four years.
    This constitutes a massive expansion compared to last Census, when this applied to only 5% (1 million people) of the population.
    The data about each person, from all available Census and ABS surveys, will be linked together1
    This is the stated explanation for identifying information being held: that with it, the ABS may build up an extremely robust profile of each individual in the country by linking and cross-referencing the various datasets it has available to it.
    This constitutes a massive expansion compared to last year where this applied to only 5% (1 million people) of the population.
    Additional data will be expropriated from other sources and added to each person’s record1
    This is entirely new, and very concerning. EFA has raised concerns over the breadth and depth of data already held by political parties, and taken together with the expansions in the ABS’s data collection and retention practices, it paints a very bleak picture of the future of privacy in Australia.
    Individual data about people and households will be made available to researchers. Nominally it will be de-identified, but in practice it will be so rich that it will be readily re-identifiable. 1
    This, again, is entirely new this year. As shown in recent research, de-identification of datasets is a very complex and involved process, which very often fails. In fact, so long as groups have another form of identifying information, de-identifying anonymised datasets has been shown to be fairly simple.
    In some cases, the individual data that is released to researchers will even include address, and "anonymised versions of names" (whatever that means). 1
    This is also new, or at least believed to be new, in 2016. As Roger Clarke notes, however, “[p]ossibly the ABS is already doing this, without public knowledge”.

Each of these features, individually, is a gross, unjustified and unacceptable intrusion into people's privacy, and the combination of them is a serious breach of trust.

Many Australians will be so angry at these breaches of trust that the ABS's reputation is may be irreparably damaged. More importantly, there is a real danger that many Australians will choose to provide inaccurate responses or to boycott the Census altogether, thereby putting at risk the entire project and the hundreds of millions of dollars it costs to run.
    Last edited by bluestflame; 1st August 2016 at 00:44.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bluestflame For This Post:

BMJ (1st August 2016)

7. Link to Post #65
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,989 times in 1,749 posts

The Census is all online this time around - you have a logon number which is unique to each household and complete the form online. As if they do not already know where most of us are in any case - each bank account is tracked and monitored (crime prevention you know) I bet there will be a lot of 'informal' entries! David Icke's recent tour reveals that more Aussies are becoming aware of alternative narratives - Australia has always been an anti-authoritarian society, maybe lulled to sleep by too much beer/wine/food and the quest to have at least 2 SUV's in the driveway and of course an investment property - but just under the skin there is a strong rebel spirit, here's hoping it continues!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike Gorman For This Post:

bluestflame (1st August 2016), BMJ (1st August 2016), Inversion (28th August 2023)

9. Link to Post #66
    Australia Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Default Census August 2016 Australia

An on line census will be carried on the 9th August here in Australia. In order to make a better future for Austalians. The authorities know everything about everyone, so, why the census? Is it more about civil obedience than anything else. Your thoughts....

10. The Following User Says Thank You to heather6thsense For This Post:

bluestflame (16th August 2021)

11. Link to Post #67
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,514 times in 32,788 posts

In the England and Wales census of 2001, there was a viral underground movement, protesting at the requirement to state one's religion, to say you were a Jedi.

390,127 people (almost 0.8%) stated their religion as Jedi, surpassing Sikhism, Judaism, and Buddhism, and making it the fourth largest reported religion in the country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jedi_census_phenomenon

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Atlas (4th August 2016), JRS (4th August 2016), kanishk (4th August 2016), Ron Mauer Sr (4th August 2016)

13. Link to Post #68
    Australia Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Just wondering how they can fine you when the census form is addressed to the resident And it suppose to be confidential. Anyway, in my opinion the bin is the best place for it.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Love this

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heather6thsense For This Post:

bluestflame (16th August 2021), Positive Vibe Merchant (4th August 2016)

15. Link to Post #69
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,658 times in 8,694 posts

jeebus, that's almost as Orwellian as England is...
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Dianamar (21st September 2016), Franny (21st September 2016)

17. Link to Post #70
    Australia Avalon Member Positive Vibe Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,640 times in 546 posts

I have also asked this question Heather, and I don't think that they legally can fine you. I came across this information earlier today:

The Census and Statistics Act only gives the Statistician the power to REQUEST that a person fill up a form or answer questions (e.g. a Census or one of their periodic surveys).
    The Act does have penalty provisions, but these are not directly connected to filling out the Census form on Census night or answering questions when a collector knocks on your door.
    There are no penalties for refusing a REQUEST to fill out a form.
    If you refuse the Statistician’s request he then has the power to DIRECT you to fill out the Census form or answer survey questions but he can only do that after you have refused his REQUEST per sections 10(4) or 11(3) of the Act. To direct you to fill out a form there is a strict legal process which the Statistician must comply with. The process is this. The Statistician must serve a formal, legally defined “Notice of Direction” in writing on you if you refuse his request.
    • It can be sent by mail but it must be addressed to you, by name at your address. (It cannot be addressed to the Householder or the Resident)
    • It must be in writing.
    • It must give you at least 14 days to comply with the direction
    • It must detail the penalties that can be imposed if you do not comply with the direction, and
    • It must DIRECT you to fill out the form or provide answers to survey questions.
    If you don’t comply with a (genuine) “Notice of Direction”, the Statistician can take you to court and a magistrate can impose heavy fines. The Statistician cannot impose a fine. The penalties in the Census and Statistics Act are for refusing a direction. There are no penalties for refusing a request for information.
    This is important. If you refuse a request for information (as is your legal right) and you subsequently receive a (genuine) “Notice of Direction” then you must give them the information they want or you will be fined.

However, you do not have to give them your name, or the names of any people in your house unless you are directed to do so in a Notice of Direction. But, if they don’t have your name then they can’t issue a Notice of Direction to you!

The Bureau of Statistics does not like to issue a “Notice of Direction” to respondents as they like to claim that all respondents “willingly complied” with their request for information (regardless of how much angst their intrusive surveys caused to their hapless victims or whether their respondents only acted under duress). To avoid issuing Notices of Direction, they resort to dishonest tactics by sending letters to anyone who refuses their demands. These letters purport to be formal Notices of Direction, but in reality they are a dishonest bluff tactic which the Bureau uses to extract information under false pretences. If a letter is not a genuine Notice of Direction (i.e. it does not meet all of the conditions listed above) then it can be ignored. If you receive a letter from the ABS, ask them to confirm, in writing, that it is a formal “Notice of Direction” in accordance with the Census and Statistics Act.
    The ABS may also resort to harassment tactics and bureaucratic thuggery by sending more senior officers to you home to “persuade” you to give them the information that they want. Ignore these people. If they are not collectors seeking information and they are not delivering a (genuine) Notice of Direction then they have no authority to come to your home or to request information from you"
    I am the underdog, I am one of many faces,
    In a room full of people, I wouldn't change any places

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Positive Vibe Merchant For This Post:

19. Link to Post #71
    Australia Avalon Member Dianamar's Avatar
    Thanks

some interesting information from the ACT Canberra

https://www.privacy.org.au/Papers/AB...Privacy_v8.pdf

it appears there is a problem with asking for a name on statistical information.

as a name is not a part of any statistic.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianamar For This Post:

21. Link to Post #72
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,297 times in 575 posts

You could always offer them some fava beans and a nice chianti...... pfppfpfpffpfffffff!!

"A census taker once tried to test me............."

Regards.
    Last edited by Citizen No2; 21st September 2016 at 17:10.

22. Link to Post #73
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,435 times in 3,321 posts

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
    Last edited by Constance; 14th November 2021 at 18:17.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

bluestflame (16th August 2021), Peace in Oz (16th August 2021), Tintin (17th August 2021)

24. Link to Post #74
    UK Moderator/Librarian/Administrator Tintin's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 46,592 times in 5,410 posts

Perhaps this should be somewhere else on the forum but for now I'll pop this here as it's an Australian example of digital surveillance in near real-time.

Source: https://twitter.com/balancealways/st...69826542776724

Text:
    AUSTRALIA - The City of Unley is rolling out surveillance on its residents.

The SMART control of citizens movements. You’ll be fine, as long as you agree with everything the government tells you to do, think and say.

What could possibly go wrong? 🤷‍♀️
    “If a man does not keep pace with [fall into line with] his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” - Thoreau

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tintin For This Post:

Ernie Nemeth (28th August 2023), Ewan (28th August 2023), Harmony (29th August 2023), Inversion (28th August 2023), Seeclearly (28th August 2023)

26. Link to Post #75
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,385 times in 1,629 posts

Over fifteen years ago a census taker came to our door and asked some questions. Before he walked away, he said this in a snide way, "We have a gift for you." In retrospect he was probably referring to the smart meters. They probably wanted actuate algorithms for their death equations. In September 2018 Kent Dunn said this "The Rand Corporation out of Dallas, Texas wrote Agenda 21 for the United Nations." That link no longer works.
    Last edited by Inversion; 28th August 2023 at 19:43.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inversion For This Post:

Harmony (29th August 2023), Icare (29th August 2023)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 4