Scotland Avalon Member scotslad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,963 times in 638 posts

Default Re: Alternative 3, 1977

A Hoax, April Fool or a "real" event?
    Thoughts and comments please on this supposed Mars landing May 22 1962

Cheers.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scotslad For This Post:

Bill Ryan (24th October 2018), Bob (24th October 2018)

3. Link to Post #22
    Thanks
    Thanked 456,558 times in 32,726 posts

Quote Posted by scotslad (here)
    A Hoax, April Fool or a "real" event?
    Thoughts and comments please on this supposed Mars landing May 22 1962

Cheers.
    (Merged with an existing thread.)

It was a fictional 'mockumentary'. But the author, Leslie Watkins, did state publicly that after the event, he was really intrigued by how much of what he had genuinely invented may actually have been true. See this post (and all the others).

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (25th October 2018), Bob (24th October 2018), DNA (25th October 2018), Flash (25th October 2018), Franny (25th October 2018), kanishk (25th October 2018), Nasu (24th October 2018)

5. Link to Post #23
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,293 times in 6,140 posts

For everyone's perusal here is a PDF of letters between Robert Sheaffer and Gray Barker (of Saucerian Press). Barker was a legend and publisher, he provided me my original copies of Alternative 3 (Gray gave me his own dog-eared copy), as well as Case for the UFO, the Varo Edition.

Page 1 contains a very very brief dialog about Alternative 3, and please do check on the comments (yellow callouts) in your PDF file opener, they show interesting details..

PS - this is a great compilation of some of the "inner workings" of the original UFO researchers and their experiences, and dialogue back and forth.

Well worth downloading and taking the time to follow along..

Note: To open the callouts, popout and open the PDF file in your PDF viewer program where it can be seen in its entirety.

Scheaffer's review of Alt 3 is here: http://debunker.com/texts/alternative3.html

Quote ALTERNATIVE 3
    by Leslie Watkins, David Ambrose and Christopher Miles. New York: Avon Books, 1979.

Can a book be banned from sale in the United States? Well- known UFOlogist Gray Barker [died 1984] claims in his regular column in UFO Review (June, 1979) that this one was. The book's thesis that the end of life on earth is coming, and that only the elite of the world can be rescued, is purportedly too shocking for the government to permit the book's release.

"I'm not going to risk trouble by trying to get a copy," Barker shudders (although after I effortlessly obtained a copy of the original British edition, no "Men In Black" came pounding on my door).

An American edition of Alternative 3 is available now. It is not difficult to see why the government might want to suppress the book, if what it says is true. East/West tensions are a deliberate fraud, it says, a smokescreen thrown up to divert attention from the real danger now reportedly facing the world.

The eco-alarmists are right, the authors contend: the world is now facing certain extinction due to an accelerating runaway greenhouse effect resulting from the buildup of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere from the combustion of fossil fuels.

Alternative 1 was supposedly discussed by an elite panel of end-of-the-world brainstormers, and rejected as being impractical and hazardous: using a series of nuclear explosions to "punch holes" in the supposed envelope of carbon dioxide.

Alternative 2 - moving the elite of mankind to live in underground cities - was also rejected as impractical and undesirable.

That leaves us with Alternative 3: transporting the world's intellectual and governmental elite off the earth completely, using the moon as a way-station in the colonization, and eventual terraforming, of Mars.

The technology to accomplish this is alleged to already be in existence: the space program as we know it is said to be just a diversion from the real space effort, a joint US/USSR venture, which is far more advanced than everyone has been led to believe.

A lunar colony is claimed to already exist, managed by the elite "designated movers," where a corps of de-sexed, lobotomized slaves, tactlessly called "batch consignments," performs all of the manual labor.

It is difficult for the casual reader to know what to make of Alternative 3. The book purports to be non-fictional (the British edition carries the categorization "World Affairs/ Speculation"), an adaptation of a supposedly earth-shaking TV documentary produced by Anglia TV. It is filled with references to real persons and real events.

Otto Binder did make wild claims about weird objects that the astronauts supposedly sighted in space. Gerard O'Neill [died 1992] did make headlines with his advocacy of space colonies (the US/USSR conspirators are said to have debated whether Professor O'Neill should be done away with, since he knows so much: "not necessary," they decided.

I wonder if he realizes how close to death he came!) We find references to Senator Edward Kennedy, astronauts Mitchell, Aldrin and Armstrong (as well as a fictitious moon-walker named "Grodin"), UFOlogist Dr. David Saunders and many others. We find many apparently authentic quotes from newspapers and magazines.

Yet the book is obviously a novel. The dialogue is too contrived, and the protagonists' slam-bang uncovering of layer after layer or treachery and conspiracy is typical of low-grade spy novels.

Can anyone truly convince himself that top American and Soviet officials meet regularly in docking submarines beneath the arctic ice cap to review conspiracy developments, and that the transcript of their ultra-secret deliberations would read like this?

American 2: I told you we should have killed that guy Gerstein . . . way back in February . . . I said that he was dangerous . . .
    Russian 4: My friend is right . . . he did say that. And I pointed out that Gerstein's talk could start a panic among the masses . . .
    A 8: . . . and I propose an expediency.
    A 2: Seconded.
    R 8: Those in favour? . . . then that is unanimous. The method?
    A 3: How about a telepathic sleep job . . . maybe with a gun.
    R 8: that seems sensible . . . it's too soon after Ballantine for another hot job.
    Gray Barker devoted a full column to the book because of information received from an unnamed Major so-and-so.

(The hints Barker drops appear to be chosen to make us immediately conclude "The Major" to be former NICAP director Major Keyhoe. But it is not. It is a different retired Major [Wayne Aho], living on the West coast, not nearly as well-known as Keyhoe, who has long been associated with Adamski-style contactees.)

The Major attempted to buy one hundred copies of Alternative 3 from the Canadian publishing firm or Thomas Nelson & Sons. Jim Gifford, the manager of the paperback division, informed the Major that the order could not be filled because, in his ill-chosen phrase, "the above title has been banned from sale in the United States."

The Major apparently sent a copy of this letter to Barker, who picked up the football and ran a hundred yards, charging that this book was suppressed in the U.S. because it was embarrassing to the authorities, and that the "space program is a hoax" movie, Capricorn One, was canned prematurely, supposedly for the same reason.

Since, however, the full letterhead of Thomas Nelson & Sons is reproduced in the Barker piece, I wrote to Gifford asking if Alternative 3 really was banned in the United States. He replied that it is unfortunate that Barker did not contact him before rushing off to print, as it would have saved considerable embarrassment on both their behalfs!

The reason the book was supposedly "banned" in the U.S. , he explained, was that Avon Books had purchased the U.S. paperback rights. Had the Canadian firm filled the Major's order, it faced the risk of a whopping lawsuit from Avon Books.

But are the startling claims of Alternative 3 true? How do we explain the interviews with whistle-blowers, the tie-in with missing persons, the clues to allegedly mysterious deaths of prominent persons? Our British readers already know the answer: April Fool! As reported in The Times of London on June 21, 1977, the day after the TV version was presented, "Independent television companies last night received hundreds of protest calls after an Anglia programme, Alternative 3, giving alarming "facts" about changes in the earth's atmosphere.

It was a hoax, originally intended for April 1."

Reporter Alan Coren observed that "the year's worst kept secret was that Alternative 3 was a spoof . . . if you know that 'a hoax is a hoax, how can you possibly attack it for lacking authenticity?"

He suggested that had he not been in on the "secret" in advance, while the total preposterousness of the story itself might not have deterred belief, the acting was so unconvincing as to remove all doubt.

It seems that we Americans, who almost never read the British press and whose own media have said virtually nothing about this matter, are having our credulity tested by the promoters of Alternative 3.

Some of us have already risen to the occasion, mustering credulity above and beyond the call of duty: Major A., Gray Barker (the first to write a book about the supposedly mysterious "Men In Black," whose existence has now been swallowed by Hynek, Vallee, Keel, Clark and many others), as well as Timothy Green Beckley, editor of UFO Review. Don't be the next to bite the hook.

The marketing of Alternative 3 represents a real-world test of the old adage that a fool and his money are soon parted.
    Now and then, One can see in conspiracy articles across the Internet bits and pieces of the "scenarios" depicted in the book. Moon-bases, Mars, psycho-surgery to make "drones", etc.. Can we assume it is quite possible, or more than likely, that many if not all of these "programs" were based in the release of the movie and book? If it seems to resonate with someone, quite possibly one could confabulate all of the rest of the dialog and 'experiences'..
    Last edited by Bob; 24th October 2018 at 19:49.

6. Link to Post #24
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,989 times in 2,138 posts

Looks like there has just been a volcanic eruption on Mars...either that or someone is up to some serious (nuclear?) terraforming...

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pueblo For This Post:

Did You See Them (25th October 2018), DNA (25th October 2018), Flash (25th October 2018), Nasu (24th October 2018)

8. Link to Post #25
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

referencing the above post, to clarify:
    Certain corners of YouTube, Twitter and the rest of the internet are heating up over some recent images sent back by Mars orbiters that appear to show a plume of clouds emanating from Arsia Mons, a large volcano on the surface of the Red Planet.

But the science community would like you to know that those clouds are a lot more icy than smoky and there is definitely not a volcanic eruption occurring on our neighboring planet right now.

"These are ice-rich clouds over the summit of Arsia Mons," NASA wrote of an image captured by the 2001 Mars Odyssey spacecraft last month.

Some images taken just last week by the European Space Agency's Mars Express orbiter (above) really do resemble a plume of smoke something like what we saw when earth-orbiting satellites pointed their cameras at Hawaii's Kilauea volcano earlier this year.

But the reality is that it's been at least 10 million years since the formidable Arsia Mons erupted. It must have been a pretty remarkable eruption, too, as the volcano is an incredible 270 miles wide and 12 miles high. Mauna Loa, Earth's largest volcano, is only 6.3 miles high and 75 miles across.
    ref: Mars Odyssey - https://mars.nasa.gov/odyssey/mission/overview/ The design of this spacecraft's sensors is to detect water and ice. Maps of hydrogen distribution led scientists to discover vast amounts of water ice in the polar regions buried just beneath the surface.

Odyssey also recorded the radiation environment in low Mars orbit to determine the radiation-related risk to any future human explorers.

The three primary instruments carried by 2001 Mars Odyssey are:
    • THEMIS (Thermal Emission Imaging System), for determining the distribution of minerals, particularly those that can only form in the presence of water;
    • GRS (Gamma Ray Spectrometer), for determining the presence of 20 chemical elements on the surface of Mars, including hydrogen in the shallow subsurface (which acts as a proxy for determining the amount and distribution of possible water ice on the planet); and,
    • MARIE (Mars Radiation Environment Experiment), for studying the radiation environment.

Mars Express orbiter - https://mars.nasa.gov/programmission...esent/express/
    The mission's main objective is to search for sub-surface water from orbit. Seven scientific instruments on the orbiting spacecraft have conducted rigorous investigations to help answer fundamental questions about the geology, atmosphere, surface environment, history of water, and potential for life on Mars.
    Orbiter scientific payload
    • Surface/subsurface instruments
    • HRSC (High Resolution Stereo Camera)
    • OMEGA (Visible and Infrared Mineralogical Mapping Spectrometer)
    • MARSIS (Sub-surface Sounding Radar Altimeter)
    Atmosphere and plasma instruments
    • PFS (Planetary Fourier Spectrometer)
    • SPICAM (Ultraviolet and Infrared Atmospheric Spectrometer)
    • ASPERA (Energetic Neutral Atoms Analyser)
    • MaRS (Mars Radio Science Experiment)
    • Visual Monitoring Camera (VMC)
    Last edited by Bob; 24th October 2018 at 19:08.

9. Link to Post #26
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,078 times in 2,355 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    It was a fictional 'mockumentary'. But the author, Leslie Watkins, did state publicly that after the event, he was really intrigued by how much of what he had genuinely invented may actually have been true.
    Sounds like a typical case of fact being mixed with fiction until people can't tell which is which anymore. That's probably the biggest reason I finally lost interest in these kinds of stories, unless they have lots of footnotes to back them up. You can't take anything on faith these days, sadly, though many people still seem to feel very comfortable doing so.

Seeing "The One" as a thread author is a blast from the past. I had to do a double-take to make sure I was posting on the right forum. I guess somewhere, deep in the cobwebs of the Internet, a forum still exists where 20 self-congratulatory moderators gloat over the 3 or 4 active members they have remaining.

10. Link to Post #27
    United States Avalon Member Laurel's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Posted by A Voice from the Mountains (here)
    I guess somewhere, deep in the cobwebs of the Internet, a forum still exists where 20 self-congratulatory moderators gloat over the 3 or 4 active members they have remaining.
    That's really harsh

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Laurel For This Post:

Did You See Them (25th October 2018)

12. Link to Post #28
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Laurel (here)
    That's really harsh
    It stings because it's true. For you to even know what I'm talking about must mean you're one of the 3 or 4 still posting there huh? So they'll be adding you to their thought police next huh?

Actually, I did hear that Turiya moved over there. I wish him luck, but I give him two or three months max before Aragorn's tolerance of opposing view points runs out, and he drops his authoritarian ban hammer. I would have warned him if I knew he was leaving here. I laughed out loud when I heard that he went over there. I can hear Aragorn's mental gears grinding from here.

13. Link to Post #29
    Argentina Avalon Member Hazelfern's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,496 times in 348 posts

Quote Posted by Laurel (here)
    That's really harsh
    It stings because it's true. For you to even know what I'm talking about must mean you're one of the 3 or 4 still posting there huh? So they'll be adding you to their thought police next huh?

Actually, I did hear that Turiya moved over there. I wish him luck, but I give him two or three months max before Aragorn's tolerance of opposing view points runs out, and he drops his authoritarian ban hammer. I would have warned him if I knew he was leaving here. I laughed out loud when I heard that he went over there. I can hear Aragorn's mental gears grinding from here.
    Your response to Laurel is just plain rude.

14. Link to Post #30
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Ah, what was our topic in this thread again?

I don't think it matters that a former member asked the first questions on Alt3

Some of the points about DUMBs (deep underground military bases) seems like a potential as one of the alternatives

Was Leslie offering an insight about those for instance?

We've seen dialog about something is up on the moon. (US) hasn't gone back because ? , but China says it's happy to do that.
    Last edited by Bob; 26th October 2018 at 03:52.

15. Link to Post #31
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Bob (here)
    We've seen dialog about something is up on the moon. (US) hasn't gone back because ? , but China says it's happy to do that.
    All theater, bread and circuses for the masses.

They'll never show what we went to the Moon in, because it doesn't use rocket fuel. You know what I'm talking about, Bob.

Technology that doesn't use fossil fuel = collapse of probably the biggest sector of the world economy outside of banking: energy.

The global energy market will have to be gently moved out of the way before that kind of transformative technology can be released to the public.

All the fanciful stories they spin around the old lunar landing narrative is Corey Goode tier stuff.

16. Link to Post #32
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Kinda makes one wonder about disclosure doesn't it? There is another thread started that says China and Russia are going to make it known to the world (!) all that is hidden, disclosing everything.. Circus most definitely. But that's not how China works - in that thread there are links to articles describing methods that China uses to control, manipulate, and none of them (the manipulative techniques) really deal with actually revealing everything - China uses the convenience of the psyop maneuver. Tell the masses what they want to hear and find the apologists, or sympathisers who want to "believe" this or that, the candy-merry-go-round rather than the murderous facts of strategic manipulation.. Another arms race? Naw, a mental triggering of very very well done programming of the 60's - luv baby.. It's all there just waiting to activate.. Press this or that button and the "cpu" does what its been triggered to react to.

Sounds like a typical case of fact being mixed with fiction until people can't tell which is which anymore. That's probably the biggest reason I finally lost interest in these kinds of stories, unless they have lots of footnotes to back them up. You can't take anything on faith these days, sadly, though many people still seem to feel very comfortable doing so.
    Last edited by Bob; 6th November 2018 at 11:47.

17. Link to Post #33
    Thanks

Anything that China says like that, that has international political ramifications, should be interpreted as Chinese foreign relations. My guess is that it is a form of leverage. "We will make announcements that will undermine what you are doing re: the Space Force..." etc.

When Trump was elected, the thing that worried me the most was China. Because our most powerful adversary, who ultimately has the most to lose from a Trump presidency, is authoritarian China. I'm surprised things have been as cordial as they are now, but we have some smart ex-military and intelligence people saying that war with China in the next 10 years or so is very likely. I think China feels the same way and is building up their military right now. But either way, they certainly have lots of different forms of leverage they can use against us, and what you are describing, Bob, just sounds like the threat of more public mass manipulation as a form of leverage, and taking control of a narrative.

Btw, I just had the same realization about Russia recently. Russia certainly knew that 9/11 was an inside job, so why didn't they say anything? Or Iran? Or North Korea? Of course Iran did later suggest that 9/11 was an inside job, but you see, they didn't do it quickly. All of these people held their cards close to their chest and used their knowledge, and their ability to expose things, as leverage in negotiations. This is how the big power brokers play ball internationally. They guard each others' secrets to the extent that they can get something out of it in return.

18. Link to Post #34
    United States Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,945 times in 1,689 posts

I just want to add to the above-mentioned movie about Alternative 1, 2 and 3 some more insight. When I read this book a very long time ago, I seem to remember that the Mars venture via the Moon was between the Germans and the USA, not the Russians. Germany it appears from information elsewhere, which I believe, has colonized far reaches of our Galaxy and, in the early 1960's Mars, via the Moon. I remember reading about their "batch consignments" referring to human slaves to be used for labor on Mars, who, because of arduous conditions only lived 15 years more. Children were also sent to Mars as child-bearing there was unsuccessful. The story I read spoke of one of the German pilots who disagreed with this agenda and who found a way to sabotage the operation, returning to Earth to infiltrate and sabotage space operations from their origin on Earth. It was obvious to me that after the book, "Alternative 3" was written, it showed so much evil that the PTB would not allow it to be published except under the heading of Science Fiction. As we read even today, human abductions by space aliens with the consent of the Government has continued since then. When I read it, I knew instantly that EVERY WORD WAS TRUE and still believe it has and IS HAPPENING; and I really don't give a hoot what others think about that.
    Last edited by amor; 14th November 2021 at 00:28.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2