+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 3 13 24 LastLast

Thread: Latest BP oil spill Updates - (Please only post TEXT or PHOTOS here)

1. Link to Post #41
    Deactivated
    Thanks

Default Re: Latest Updates - (Please only post TEXT or PHOTOS here)

National Guard involved in the effort to evacuate and provide security for the Gulf

WASHINGTON (Army News Service, April 30, 2010) — At least three states along the Gulf of Mexico are preparing for a potential call for thousands of National Guard members as the nation ramps up its response to the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill today.

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal sent letters to federal officials asking them to approve funding to activate up to 6,000 Guardmembers to assist in the response to the oil spill.

In two letters addressed to Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates and Janet Napolitano, the secretary of the Department of Homeland Security, Jindal said the Guard “will provide security, medical capabilities, engineers and communication support in response to this threat.”

“Currently, our Soldiers and Airmen are staging for and are engaged in the planning of the effort to evacuate and provide security and clean up for the coastal communities expected to be impacted by the oil spill,” Jindal wrote.

“They are engaged in the protection of vital infrastructure to include medical facilities, fuel distribution, interstate highways, water-ice distribution and power facilities, which are all vital to the recovery of coastal Louisiana.”

Jindal went on to say that he “believe[s] these National Guard operations are necessary and appropriate to protect this region of our nation from a significant national event with potential catastrophic loss of natural resources.”

Unquote

Continued here.

2. Link to Post #42
    Deactivated
    Thanks

Potential field evidence for a volcanic rifted margin along the Texas Gulf Coast

http://www.utdallas.edu/~rjstern/pdf...sGeology09.pdf

3. Link to Post #43
    Deactivated
    Thanks

Oil Spill Row: PM Says BP Must Remain Stable

David Cameron has told BP's chairman he is "frustrated and concerned" about the Gulf oil spill, but said it is "in everyone's interests" for BP to remain "financially strong and stable".

His conversation with Carl-Henric Svanberg comes as the Prime Minister is facing calls to challenge Barack Obama over his comments on BP which have been described as "anti-British".
    Mr Cameron is due to speak to Mr Obama by telephone on Saturday at 4pm UK time.

Speaking about Mr Cameron and Mr Svanberg's discussion, a Downing Street spokesman said the Prime Minister "made clear his view that BP is an economically important company in the UK, US and other countries".

He added: "Mr Svanberg made clear that BP will continue to do all that it can to stop the oil spill, clean up the damage and meet all legitimate claims for compensation.
    "The Prime Minister said that he would raise the issue - and discuss these points - in his call with President Obama tomorrow."

Unquote

Continued here.

4. Link to Post #44
    Deactivated
    Thanks

UK media attack Obama for comments about BP

(CNN) -- British media have leapt to the defense of beleaguered BP following attacks by the White House over its handling of the Gulf Coast disaster.
    President Barack Obama has taken a tough stance against the company and its response to the April 20 explosion, which killed 11 workers and has spilled millions of gallons of oil into the Gulf, threatening livelihoods and wildlife.

But now UK opinion formers have weighed in, attacking Obama's approach, warning of the threat to pension funds and questioning relations with the United States.

Cameron is told to "stand up for your country" by the Daily Mail, which backed the Conservative leader at last month's UK election. It points out while "British marines continue to die in Afghanistan -- fighting valiantly alongside their American colleagues," relations between the respective leaders means the phrase "special relationship" sounds increasingly hollow.

In a leader column the newspaper says Obama's attacks are "rank hypocrisy," coming only weeks after the president advocated deepwater drilling. Elsewhere it highlights oil disasters off the UK coast involving U.S. companies, including the Piper Alpha oil rig explosion of 1988, in which 167 people died.

Unquote

Continued here.

5. Link to Post #45
    Thanks
    Thanked 456,558 times in 32,726 posts

--------------
    New Project Avalon update (11 June):

http://projectavalon.net/lang/en/whats_new.html

Lindsey Williams made a strong appearance on Alex Jones last night - confirming all the information reported in my 9 June report two days ago. Click here for a 56 minute edited version of his interview. (The original is here: the interview with Lindsey starts at the beginning of hour three.)

Lindsey put numbers to the pressures in the reservoir, which his own sources feared were beyond the ability of any current human technology to control. The pressures at Prudhoe Bay, Alaska, were a healthy 1,500 psi (pounds per square inch). The pressures breaking loose in the Gulf of Mexico are 20,000 to 70,000 psi.

I'll say that again: twenty thousand to seventy thousand pounds per square inch. Now I can understand why the mathematical modeling has failed [see 9 June update].

Besides confirming the almost unstoppable pressures in the reservoir, Lindsey stated the following:
    1. -- The well casing is almost certainly fractured.
    2. -- There are plumes of oil rising from the sea bed many miles from the blown out well.
    3. -- The volume of leakage is in excess of 100,000 barrels (4 million gallons) a day.
    4. -- There are volatile organic compounds (hydrogen sulfide, benzene and methylene chloride) being released in quantities many hundreds times the levels accepted as safe. In the case of benzene, which is a highly toxic carcinogen, safe levels are considered to be 0-4 ppb (parts per billion). The levels being released have been measured by the EPA at over 3,000 ppb.
    5. -- A nuclear device is being considered to seal the well... but the consequences of failure could be truly catastrophic.
    6. -- The blowout was a genuine accident.
    7. -- Various insiders and insider groups had learned - through occult means - that they should sell their BP shares... although they did not know specifically that the blowout would occur.
    8. -- Although the blowout was unplanned, the Controllers lost no time in determining to use the accident to further their own agendas.
    It is my personal opinion that we have here the most serious problem on the planet short of nuclear war.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 12th June 2010 at 17:43.

6. Link to Post #46
    Thanks

Bill -

For the oil to be sitting on top of the pipe - at steady state, held in by the pressure of the water, just a meniscus pushing above, the pressure inside the pipe would need to be at least 2800 ish PSI (I made a previous post on this) - This is pretty massive by my measure as a civil engineer - your average domestic water system for a smallish town (5-15,000 population) is about 75 PSI.

20,000 is unheard of, 70,000 boggles my mind. I clock the flow rate at 176 L/s or so (based on some estimates of 95,000 barrels a day). This is hardly enough additional flow above "steady state" to acount for these pressures - to compare a 100 or so car sized parking lot could produce this type of flow in a rainstorm in a 1 in 2 or 5 year rain storm.

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong equations here (which I won't deny is possible) but something is not right here.

Edit:

This being said I completely agree with your statement that this problem is obscenely serious - and my "basic" calculations certainly do not take into account the possibility of fissures in the seabed which could release substatially higher flows (but over time would reduce the pressures)

Edit 2:

My previous analysis lacks some key points - the recieveing fluid is water, the discharging fluid is oil, each has a different specific gravity and specific enthalpy, at these massive undersea pressures (and therfore temperatures - also neglected from my analysis) their behaviour will also be different...

Even with this being said - I fail to see how the pressures could be 20K PSI - unless a) the Flowrate being told to us even by "alternative" scientists is significantly underestimated (by a lot) or b) this well is huuuuuugely deep and its own gravity (depth) is increasing the head pressure on it by a significant amount (10x the depth to the sea floor at least - or some combination of additional flow [fissures in sea floor?] and depth)

Really finding myself wishing I hadn't left my fluid mechanics book at the office this weekend... all I have is my water resource book to go by
    Last edited by JoshERTW; 12th June 2010 at 03:36.

7. Link to Post #47
    Thanks

Gita -

I think your article about the American vs. UK leaders is an important one - theres almost too much to follow (and as I've said before - you are doing a bloody incredible job) and this one jumped out at me bigtime.

To go out on a limb here - the new UK leader is on record as "pro disclosure"

We used to think Obama was - but there wasn't any published news before he got elected to that effect...

Maybe Mr. Wilcock and many others discussing this issue are right and this will be a turning point in the disclosure battle.

That said, I doubt the PTB like this (from my understanding at least) "Unknown" coalition bloke getting into the top spot in the British parliament. In Canada the whole coalition thing is massively taboo (though I read a commendation from our PM - Uber Right wing - of how the Brit's did it this time around)

Maybe they are trying to pressure him into something he wouldn't want to do...

8. Link to Post #48
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,993 times in 630 posts

I've just got a distinct feeling that this is payback for the war in the middle east. I hope I'm wrong.

9. Link to Post #49
    Deactivated
    Thanks

Thanks Josh and I am in agreement with your comments.

Birds Flocking North By The Thousands

In a farmers field in Tennessee, birds arrive by the thousands. Gathering to woodland areas and power lines. This behavior is not typical to standard fall migration pattens. Could this be a direct correlation with the gulf oil spill; a vision of what is to come for mankind?

Birds Migrating out of the South- BP Fallout?

Unquote

Source

10. Link to Post #50
    Deactivated
    Thanks

FEMA quiet no more, puts in bid to take over claims – Dispersants are known neurotoxins!

Could FEMA oversee BP claims process?
    by Bigad Shaban / Eyewitness News

NEW ORLEANS – Whether you’re a business owner trying to collect losses through BP’s claim process, or an out of work fisherman hoping to earn a paycheck by deploying boom for BP, concerns continue over the oil company’s pace in dishing out its dollars. The federal government is pitching a possible solution, but it’s a 4-letter word that residents and leaders hoped they’d never hear again: FEMA.

As BP says it’s working to send out a second round of claims checks to impacted families, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano tells Eyewitness News she plans on dispatching a top FEMA official to Louisiana to make sure BP improves the process.

“To help make sure BP’s claims process is clear, understandable, the documents have been translated, for example, into different languages and that they are paying the claims in a timely manner,” Napolitano said Friday in an interview with WWL-TV.

But in the wake of FEMA’s highly criticized performance in paying out claims post Katrina, some wonder what will be different.

“FEMA is a classic government bureaucracy it moves very, very slowly,” said Clancy DuBos, Eyewitness News Political Analyst and Gambit political columnist. “Bringing in FEMA to speed things up with oil spill claims process just seems counter intuitive.”

Unquote

Continued here.

11. Link to Post #51
    Thanks

FAA Closes Down Gulf of Mexico Air Traffic :

'All aircraft operations are prohibited except those flights authorized by ATC, routine flights supporting offshore oil operations; federal, state, local and military flight operations supporting oil spill recovery and reconstitution efforts; and air medical and law enforcement operations.'

http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_0_5100.html#areas

12. Link to Post #52
    Deactivated
    Thanks

Military drills throughout the United States.

The Intel Hub

We have already reported on the drills planned for Chicago starting this Sunday and the Navy drills going on in Va at this very moment. I find it hard to believe that this all just a coincidence. There are way too many signs that point to this being something much more. I understand that it is the beginning of the summer and drills are common but with the events in the Gulf i thought these were worthy of posting.

ONLY A DRILL: OFFICIALS PRACTICE HURRICANE ROUTES

Don’t be alarmed if you saw 150 emergency response vehicles on I-20 or heading to the coast on U.S. 69 Wednesday morning. The Department of Public Safety and several other agencies joined forces in a live-action hurricane preparedness drill.

This was only a drill.

Three separate convoys left Arlington, headed south on 360, east on I-20 to Tyler, then south on U.S. 69 to the coast, said DPS spokeswoman Davilyn Walston.

“We wanted to make sure everyone was aware because a few weeks ago the 911 systems in South Texas were overloaded with citizen inquiries about the drill,” she said.

Don’t be alarmed if you saw 150 emergency response vehicles on I-20 or heading to the coast on U.S. 69 Wednesday morning. The Department of Public Safety and several other agencies joined forces in a live-action hurricane preparedness drill.

This was only a drill.

Three separate convoys left Arlington, headed south on 360, east on I-20 to Tyler, then south on U.S. 69 to the coast, said DPS spokeswoman Davilyn Walston.

Unquote

Continued here.

13. Link to Post #53
    Deactivated
    Thanks

FAA: Aerial Spraying Operations

The Federal Aviation Administration released a set of regulations on June 9, entitled NOTAM. This document laid out what could and couldn’t be done over the oil spill in regards to aircraft activity. BP, along with the federal government have basically put the entire airspace over the spill in a complete lock down mode. Even more interesting is the fact that the FAA is openly admitting to the existence of aerial spraying in the Gulf. One of the companies contracted out to do this “spraying” is none other than Evergreen Air.

The document starts with this warning

No pilots may operate an aircraft in the areas covered by this NOTAM (except as described).

Unquote

Continued here.

14. Link to Post #54
    Deactivated
    Thanks

Boehner: Government--i.e. Taxpayers--Should Help Pay For Oil Spill

Congressional Democrats and the White House are toying with different ways to force BP to cover the costs of damages from the Gulf oil spill. But they face stiff opposition from industry...and it seems leading Republicans. In response to a question from TPMDC, House Minority Leader John Boehner said he believes taxpayers should help pick up the tab for the clean up.

"I think the people responsible in the oil spill--BP and the federal government--should take full responsibility for what's happening there," Boehner said at his weekly press conference this morning.
    Boehner's statement followed comments last Friday by US Chamber of Commerce CEO Tom Donohue who said he opposes efforts to stick BP, a member of the Chamber, with the bill. "It is generally not the practice of this country to change the laws after the game," he said. "Everybody is going to contribute to this clean up. We are all going to have to do it. We are going to have to get the money from the government and from the companies and we will figure out a way to do that."

Unquote

Continued here.

15. Link to Post #55
    Deactivated
    Thanks

Human Rights Group: BP Discouraging Crews From Using Respirators

BP's logic seems to be that if the oil cleanup doesn't look dangerous then it must not be. The oil company has told workers not to wear respirators because it's bad for public relations, according to one human rights group.

RFK Center President Kerry Kennedy traveled to the Gulf Coast to talk to cleanup workers and found that BP was trying to repress the use of safety equipment.

"In all three states that I've visited, fishermen said when they went out to work on the cleanup, that if they tried to bring respirators they were told it was unnecessary equipment and would only spread hysteria," Kennedy told Fox News Friday.
    "When I went out with eleven people, we had respirators on and within half an hour, all of our eyes were burning and our throats were closing and we all had headaches," she explained.
    Kennedy was also concerned that BP was refusing to release information about the contents of the dispersant being used.

Unquote

Continued here.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

16. Link to Post #56
    Deactivated
    Thanks

Thanks Viking! (as if I haven't got enough to do - : )

Obama and Cameron to discuss spill

Barack Obama, the US president, and David Cameron, the UK prime minister, are expected to discuss British energy giant BP's handling of the Gulf of Mexico oil spill in a telephone call.

White House officials said that the two leaders would also on Saturday discuss a range of other issues, against the backdrop of public anger and political pressure on both sides of the Atlantic over the spill.

BP's share price plunged to a 14-year low after the US threatened to impose new penalties on the company, angered by the magnitude of the spill caused by the collapse of an rig following an explosion on April 20.

The company also faces a US government criminal and civil investigation, possibly resulting in a slew of lawsuits and hefty fines, which raised further concerns about the London-based company's future.

Unquote

Continued here.
    Last edited by Gita; 12th June 2010 at 10:54.

17. Link to Post #57
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,079 times in 3,095 posts

Quote Posted by Gita (here)
    Thanks Viking! (as if I haven't got enough to do - : )
    Was just about to post this...you beat me to it!!! Yes you are running around like a blue arse fly...bless you... *hugs*

Why dont we condense all this topic on one thread for goodness sake!!!!!!!! Just rename one of these the 'Oil Thread'

Its not bloody difficult surely...now we have other threads opening up with the same topic since somemone in there wisdom decided to split this here there and everywhere...as if we haven't got enough to read already!!!!

Keep up the great work Gita...

viking
    Last edited by Eric J (Viking); 12th June 2010 at 11:05.
    You decide...your thoughts..your actions..your reality.
    Choose well.
    https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...are-the-change

18. Link to Post #58
    Deactivated
    Thanks

You little fibber Viking - you were not going to post it cos you got me to post it. I owe you one.

And yes, I do agree with your post. I'm getting confused myself with all these different threads.

19. Link to Post #59
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,079 times in 3,095 posts

Moi... Fib!!!

Anyway keep researching...ha ha

viking
    You decide...your thoughts..your actions..your reality.
    Choose well.
    https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...are-the-change

20. Link to Post #60
    Thanks
    Thanked 456,558 times in 32,726 posts

Quote Posted by JoshERTW (here)
    Bill -

For the oil to be sitting on top of the pipe - at steady state, held in by the pressure of the water, just a meniscus pushing above, the pressure inside the pipe would need to be at least 2800 ish PSI (I made a previous post on this) - This is pretty massive by my measure as a civil engineer - your average domestic water system for a smallish town (5-15,000 population) is about 75 PSI.

20,000 is unheard of, 70,000 boggles my mind.)
    Thanks, Josh: it boggles my mind as well. I was a mathematician once, and I know what this means.

I was shocked, and I've been shocked ever since. It may be that no technology that human beings possess can stop this.

Note that the current mathematical models aren't holding up (see my Avalon blog update of 9 June). It's just not known, or knowable, how the reservoir will respond. Everyone is guessing.

This is an unprecedented situation: the human race hasn't punctured into a major artery like this before. When the Russians did something similar a few years ago, the pressures were much lower, and the operation was on land. The current high-pressure flow might not run dry for decades or centuries.

This is why there's a cover-up....... also buying time while the insiders adapt their strategies to take advantage of the situation.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 12th June 2010 at 18:27.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 3 13 24 LastLast