+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 7 LastLast

Thread: Healthy Teeth - Or How Toothpaste Causes Most Dental Problems

1. Link to Post #21
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Default Re: Healthy Teeth - Or How Toothpaste Causes Most Dental Problems

SO from what #4 on OP's post, I would guess bars of soap like zest, dove, caress, etc would work? Provided that it doesnt have some of the things listed not in it and as long as it doesnt leave some residue behind.

2. Link to Post #22
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,304 times in 254 posts

Thanks for sharing this info. I bought Dr. Bronner's peppermint liquid soap because they didn't have any bars. Still soapy but wow what a good job!! I'm going to do the citric acid and baking soda drink daily too. I'm looking forward to the additional benefits.
    Life is what it is. How you perceive it creates your reality.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Carolin For This Post:

Dawn (14th April 2012), janette (13th October 2021), Marsila (14th September 2011)

4. Link to Post #23
    United States Avalon Member cacklingmuse's Avatar
    Thanks

saw this today... thought this might be a good thread to post in: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...0904_SNL_Art_1
    Mercury Poisoning from Dental Amalgam Fillings

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cacklingmuse For This Post:

Dawn (14th April 2012), Holly Lindin (27th December 2012), janette (13th October 2021), Marsila (14th September 2011)

6. Link to Post #24
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,209 times in 1,149 posts

Ok.. after all the talk of the expense of tooth products and the nasty taste of soap I thought I'd let you know where I get my soap.

Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps
    All-One Hemp PEPPERMINT
    PURE-CASTILE SOAP
    MADE WITH ORGANIC OILS

$3.99 at Trader Joes

And it appears this may last me about 5-10 years based on how slowly the bar is being used up with daily brushing

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dawn For This Post:

christian (15th March 2012), janette (13th October 2021), kanishk (5th April 2012), Marin (16th March 2012), seko (15th March 2012)

8. Link to Post #25
    United States Avalon Member Mark's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,463 times in 2,850 posts

Quote Posted by cacklingmuse (here)
    saw this today... thought this might be a good thread to post in: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...0904_SNL_Art_1
    Mercury Poisoning from Dental Amalgam Fillings
    Dr. Mercola is great.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Post:

Dawn (20th October 2011), Holly Lindin (27th December 2012), janette (13th October 2021)

10. Link to Post #26
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,438 times in 21,490 posts

Quote Posted by The Abundant Traveler (here)
    Here's the problem.... vegetable glycerin.... that is what is causing cavities and gum disease according to the article I posted. BEWARE glycerin!!!
    Yes indeed - I just noticed. Thanks!
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Dawn (20th October 2011), janette (13th October 2021)

12. Link to Post #27
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,438 times in 21,490 posts

Arm and Hammer baking soda
    Well -- I'd avoid Arm and Hammer baking soda. It has aluminum.

If you search for "blaylock aluminum wellness neurotoxin" you will find a Wellness Report by Dr. Russell Blaylock entitled "Aluminum: Poison Hiding in Plain Sight" (pdf). Bob's Red Mill Baking Soda is a baking soda that does not have aluminum.

Blaylock is really good, in my view.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Dawn (22nd September 2011), Holly Lindin (27th December 2012), janette (13th October 2021), nearing (8th September 2011), seko (15th March 2012)

14. Link to Post #28
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,600 times in 5,379 posts

What is toilet duck?

Got this picture of a rubber ducky floating in the bowl.

Great thread, thanks for the info guys.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

janette (13th October 2021)

16. Link to Post #29
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,985 times in 463 posts

This is a good interview with Robert Nara

http://www.oneradionetwork.com/denta...ient-12-03-09/

Dr Robert O Nara DDS

LISTEN NOW
    How to Become Dentally Self Sufficient

Simple, Easy Techniques to stay out of the Dentist office

Dentist and Author Dr. Nara says that the dental profession has the public pretty well boondoggled into thinking that we have to go to the dentist and get our teeth cleaned and checked every six months and we’ve been ‘conditionedto believe that somehow or other this has something to do with our having healthy teeth and gums.

Dr. Nara says "In my opinion the whole thing boils down to one simple fact: The dental establishment is scared to death that the public is going to realize that the entire profession has been making a living by repairing the results of a disease they could have been curing all along!"
    Lots to talk about in this hour.

17. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to leavesoftrees For This Post:

Alekahn (7th April 2012), Dawn (22nd September 2011), Docim369 (29th December 2022), Holly Lindin (27th December 2012), janette (13th October 2021), nearing (8th September 2011), seko (15th March 2012), skyflower (22nd November 2011)

18. Link to Post #30
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,304 times in 254 posts

FYI when taking the citric acid/baking soda mix make sure you let it stop fizzing. Talk about a volcanic eruption of foaming vomit....sorry I know....too much information!!
    Life is what it is. How you perceive it creates your reality.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Carolin For This Post:

janette (13th October 2021)

20. Link to Post #31
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,659 times in 8,694 posts

Quote Posted by Playdo of Ataraxas (here)
    My wife and I have been using Tom's Toothpastes for several years now, fairly satisfied and needing no dental work during this time, but we have just recently switched to making our own. The reason: Tom's & other alternative products are just too damn expensive!! Our recipe is to mix baking soda, coconut oil (which is just the best thing on this planet!!), peppermint oil, and olive oil.

We also got tired of paying money so that we could slather chemicals in our armpits! We started making our own using this simple and cheap recipe:

Passionate Homemaking's homemade deodorant recipe :

5-6 Tbsp Coconut oil
    1/4 cup baking soda
    1/4 cup arrowroot powder or cornstarch (we used cornstarch)

1. Combine baking soda and arrowroot powder/cornstarch.
    2. Cut coconut oil into the powder mixture with a fork or spoon until you reach deodorant consistency.
    3. Scoop deodorant into an clean deodorant dispenser or small jar to apply with your fingers.

The stuff works great and it is very inexpensive!!
    I've been meaning to find something like this for a LONG time!

I hope your using cold pressed organic coconut oil (that stuff is A M A Z I N G ) I'm definately trying this! thank you for posting.

Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    Arm and Hammer baking soda
    Well -- I'd avoid Arm and Hammer baking soda. It has aluminum.

If you search for "blaylock aluminum wellness neurotoxin" you will find a Wellness Report by Dr. Russell Blaylock entitled "Aluminum: Poison Hiding in Plain Sight" (pdf). Bob's Red Mill Baking Soda is a baking soda that does not have aluminum.

Blaylock is really good, in my view.
    what are you using for deoderant ? (most have aluminum in them...)
    Last edited by TargeT; 8th September 2011 at 20:58.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

21. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Dawn (22nd September 2011), Holly Lindin (27th December 2012), janette (13th October 2021), Marin (16th March 2012), nearing (8th September 2011), seko (15th March 2012), STATIC (15th March 2012), tessie999 (5th September 2012)

22. Link to Post #32
    India Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,533 times in 475 posts

Quote Posted by meeradas (here)
    This is my choice (also the powder) - good stuff
    Vicco Vajradanti powder is great, having pure extracts of 20 herbs and barks,

but, Vicco adds fluoride in 'Vajradanti Paste ' -- that is shown on tube but not on cardboard wrapping

is that same for 'Sugar-Free Vicco Vajradanti (SF)' tooth-paste, which you suggested ?
    Last edited by kanishk; 14th March 2012 at 08:30.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kanishk For This Post:

janette (13th October 2021), meeradas (14th March 2012), seko (15th March 2012)

24. Link to Post #33
    India Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,533 times in 475 posts

Quote Posted by Heyoka_11 (here)
    G'day All,

Here's my brand, and I have been using if for decades. I have had no dental work in 35 years, although I may be in need of an extraction some time soon. That's OK, as I see no sense in taking a showroom condition set of pearly whites to the grave!

I tried to find to find the list of ingredients online, but could not. It is a concoction of around 20 herbs and barks, and tastes great too!
    This toothpaste contains fluoride in it. In India they mention other ingredients except fluoride on cardboard packing of that (vicco vajradanti) tube. But on tube you will find all ingredients with additional one fluoride mentioned.

Non-fluoridated toothpaste available in market mentions 'non-fluoridated toothpaste' in the end of ingredient list. Dabour companies all toothpastes except one are non-fluoridated toothpaste and they mention properly 'Non-fluoridated toothpaste' in the end of the ingredient list.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kanishk For This Post:

Heyoka_11 (14th March 2012), janette (13th October 2021), meeradas (14th March 2012), seko (15th March 2012)

26. Link to Post #34
    Language
    germanic
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,845 times in 3,177 posts

Quote Posted by kanishk (here)
    ... but, Vicco adds fluoride in 'Vajradanti Paste ' -- that is shown on tube but not on cardboard wrapping

is that same for 'Sugar-Free Vicco Vajradanti (SF)' tooth-paste, which you suggested ?
    Thanks kanishk, for the hint at flouride in the paste. Not good.

Cannot tell you, as around here, i seem to only get "export packs" - the text on the tube says "see carton for formula", and there's nothing 'flour' to be found there...

Too bad, so i have to switch to Dabur, or just use the powder (which isn't always available here).

Have just sent an email to viccolabs for a clarifying statement regarding flouride in their products.

Thanks for the nudge!

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to meeradas For This Post:

Heyoka_11 (14th March 2012), Holly Lindin (27th December 2012), janette (13th October 2021), kanishk (15th March 2012), seko (15th March 2012)

28. Link to Post #35
    Thanks

Thank you for this fantastic post Dawn,

Alternative medicine is my favourite subject on PA!

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Russ1959 For This Post:

Dawn (14th April 2012), Docim369 (29th December 2022), Holly Lindin (27th December 2012), janette (13th October 2021)

30. Link to Post #36
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,159 times in 1,454 posts

we have been using Tom's and just last night discovered it has SLS (sodium lauryl sulphate) which is not good for us even in our shampoos!!
    it advertises no Fluoride so you think its a good product......so glad to have stumbled on this post today! ..... so bar soap is the way to go? and Dr Bronners peppermint by what I have read......will have to look for that. Thanks everyone, great post
    Last edited by Earth Angel; 15th March 2012 at 19:30.

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Earth Angel For This Post:

Dawn (14th April 2012), Holly Lindin (27th December 2012), janette (13th October 2021), STATIC (15th March 2012), tessie999 (5th September 2012)

32. Link to Post #37
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,659 times in 8,694 posts

Quote Posted by kanishk (here)
    Quote Posted by meeradas (here)
    This is my choice (also the powder) - good stuff
    Vicco Vajradanti powder is great, having pure extracts of 20 herbs and barks,

but, Vicco adds fluoride in 'Vajradanti Paste ' -- that is shown on tube but not on cardboard wrapping

I have hte vicco in a tube and I think there is no flouride, I buy it off the webz (infact, I'm almost out, need a new order!)

it's listed as flouride free here:
    http://www.4allvitamins.com/product_...eferrer=google

not that its 100% accurate I guess...

Quote Posted by Earth Angel (here)
    we have been using Tom's and just last night discovered it has SLS (sodium laurel sulphate) which is not good for us even in our shampoos!!
    it advertises no Fluoride so you think its a good product......so glad to have stumbled on this post today! ..... so bar soap is the way to go? and Dr Bronners peppermint by what I have read......will have to look for that. Thanks everyone, great post
    I've used several soaps from my shower,, the taste isn't great but guess what, I'm not brushing my teeth for taste... and MAN do your teeth feel CLEAN after barsoap! haha
    Last edited by TargeT; 15th March 2012 at 17:03.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Dawn (14th April 2012), janette (13th October 2021)

34. Link to Post #38
    United States Avalon Member STATIC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,125 times in 283 posts

Wow. Thanks dawn.
    I have like 6 cavities right now. I started using toms a while ago to get away from the fluoride but I guess it's time for another change up.

Tks eaerth angel for the SLS tid bit. One more reason to throw it in the bin.

http://www.natural-health-informatio...l-sulfate.html

Quote Both Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) and its close relative Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) are commonly used in many soaps, shampoos, detergents, toothpastes and other products that we expect to "foam up". Both chemicals are very effective foaming agents, chemically known as surfactants.

SLS and SLES are esters of Sulphuric acid - SLS is also known as "Sulfuric acid monododecyl ester sodium salt", however there are over 150 different names by which it is known - see them here. In fact, SLES is commonly contaminated with dioxane, a known carcinogen.

Although SLES is somewhat less irritating than Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, it cannot be metabolised by the liver and its effects are therefore much longer-lasting.

A report published in the Journal of The American College of Toxicology in 1983 showed that concentrations as low as 0.5% could cause irritation and concentrations of 10-30% caused skin corrosion and severe irritation. National Institutes of Health "Household Products Directory" of chemical ingredients lists over 80 products that contain sodium lauryl sulfate. Some soaps have concentrations of up to 30%, which the ACT report called "highly irritating and dangerous".

Shampoos are among the most frequently reported products to the FDA. Reports include eye irritation, scalp irritation, tangled hair, swelling of the hands, face and arms and split and fuzzy hair. The main cause of these problems is sodium lauryl sulfate.

Click here to learn of the possible health effects of SLS/SLES

So why is a dangerous chemical like sodium lauryl sulfate used in our soaps and shampoos?

The answer is simple - it is cheap. The sodium lauryl sulfate found in our soaps is exactly the same as you would find in a car wash or even a garage, where it is used to degrease car engines.

In the same way as it dissolves the grease on car engines, sodium lauryl sulfate also dissolves the oils on your skin, which can cause a drying effect. It is also well documented that it denatures skin proteins, which causes not only irritation, but also allows environmental contaminants easier access to the lower, sensitive layers of the skin.

Perhaps most worryingly, SLS is also absorbed into the body from skin application. Once it has been absorbed, one of the main effects of sodium lauryl sulfate is to mimic the activity of the hormone Oestrogen. This has many health implications and may be responsible for a variety of health problems from PMS and Menopausal symptoms to dropping male fertility and increasing female cancers such as breast cancer, where oestrogen levels are known to be involved.
    Last edited by STATIC; 15th March 2012 at 17:10.

35. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to STATIC For This Post:

Dawn (14th April 2012), Holly Lindin (27th December 2012), janette (13th October 2021), Little Ishta (15th March 2012), TargeT (15th March 2012)

36. Link to Post #39
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,790 times in 463 posts

I brush my teeth with baking soda, it doesn't taste too good but my teeth come out white

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pugwash84 For This Post:

Dawn (14th April 2012), janette (13th October 2021)

38. Link to Post #40
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,082 times in 817 posts

Really effective ingredients I find for oral health are propolis and myrrh.
    Has anyone tried 'oil pulling' ( see link) I have tried it a few times and It felt like it could be effective. A lot of people rave about this, as in it turned their total health around not just oral.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_pulling

39. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dorjezigzag For This Post:

aquamarine (2nd April 2012), Dawn (14th April 2012), Holly Lindin (27th December 2012), janette (13th October 2021)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 7 LastLast