+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 4 10 LastLast

Thread: Is the moon artificial?

1. Link to Post #61
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,403 times in 414 posts

Default Re: Is the moon artificial?

Quote Posted by Teakai (here)
    So then the moon doesn't rotate (or spin) on its axis at all? It just goes around with it's axis in a fixed postion relative to the earth (the string tied from me to the cat) on it's orbit around the earth?

Have I got that right?
    sure do.

2. Link to Post #62
    Australia Avalon Member bluestflame's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,500 times in 1,808 posts

maaybey they ran out of fuel 150, million years ago and got lost hitch hiking with a jerry-can to go get more

I rekon the moon was a carrier

3. Link to Post #63
    Thanks

I don't believe that the moon is anything other than what she is, a stoney satellite lifeform, this is based on a friend working for a space agency and from folk that worked at the space science dept (friends of ex, who is a physicist). She isn't hollow from what I. Can gather, nore a death star (from star wars) there are lots of theories surrounding Luna, most of the more off the wall ones seem to circulate on the net. In my eyes if you want to know about her then go into a meditative trance and ask her yourself, she, it appears to have been made when the earth became. One of the main reasons she appears older is due to not having the same tectonic activity as the earth. The earth slowly renews herself there for geological dating can be hard, Luna doesn't.
    m
    Last edited by morguana; 4th December 2010 at 10:32.

4. Link to Post #64
    New Zealand Avalon Member witchy1's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,712 times in 1,183 posts

Quote It's the same as cat spinning. When you are hanging on to the cat's tail, spinning it around your head - you are always looking at the cat's ass. (deadpan delivery)
    ROFL - laughing my t*** off - I wont ever forget that lesson. You should have been a teacher Carmody

5. Link to Post #65
    Thanks

When part of the Apollo shuttle was released and crashed to the moons surface, scientists here on earth noted that the moon, "rang like a bell for hours"........what else might explain this?
    "As long as you still view the stars as something above you, you still lack a viewpoint of knowledge" -Fredrich Nietzche

6. Link to Post #66
    Australia Avalon Member str8thinker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 times in 530 posts

Quote It's the same as cat spinning. When you are hanging on to the cat's tail, spinning it around your head...
    When I suggested this to my cat, he glared at me with big yellow eyes and hissed "Just try it...". I backed off and the subject was never raised again.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to str8thinker For This Post:

Beth (3rd December 2010)

8. Link to Post #67
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,286 times in 1,362 posts

OK - I've got the moon thing sorted. It's a hollowed out planetoid.

This is from David Icke - and I do like Icke.

The barriers of your belief will form the bars which imprison your mind.

9. Link to Post #68
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 times in 339 posts

I didn't really list theories about the moon.

I merely listed some of the more freakishly coincidental and remarkable qualities that are scientific facts. To some people, the fact that the moon is thousands of times smaller than the Sun, and yet it is the perfect distance from the planet Earth to perfectly cover the sun...and I mean perfectly cover it...during an eclipse........well to some that is just coincidence.

Coincidence is not part of my experience in this plane.

To some, the fact that it orbits in a circular orbit, a fact that rules out it being a captured body, and all but rules out it being a chunk of the earth that was knocked about...well some people shrug and believe this too is a coincidence.

I don't believe in coincidence.

I think these two facts alone let us know there is more to the story than Luna just being a stony satellite.
    “Someday after mastering winds, waves, tides and gravity, we shall harness the energies of love. And then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will discover fire.”
    ~Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

10. Link to Post #69
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,145 times in 2,998 posts

What if the spinning cat is Shroedenger's and you have your eyes closed? Would there be an infinite variety of views? ;

11. Link to Post #70
    England Avalon Member vipersocks's Avatar
    Thanks

Cool Re: Is the moon artificial?

Hi Avalonians This is my first post, and as an avid reader of this Forum for what seems like forever, I would like to conclude that the Moon as I understand it is a geode purely and simply! Speculation as to whether life exists there should be conducted by the peeps that already call the moon home!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to vipersocks For This Post:

Hiram (4th December 2010)

13. Link to Post #71
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 times in 339 posts

Hmmmmm. Vipersocks, Okay I'll bite.

Whatsoever do you mean "peeps that already call the moon home"? Dare I speculate as to moon bases etc? heh heh.

Oh.....and you are very welcome here my friend.
    “Someday after mastering winds, waves, tides and gravity, we shall harness the energies of love. And then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will discover fire.”
    ~Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

14. Link to Post #72
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

I just tried to find, but could not, some pictures that show deep pitch black holes in the moons surface. So deep that you can not see the bottom. Some of them are multiple miles across. Makes you wonder what is down there.

15. Link to Post #73
    New Zealand Avalon Member witchy1's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,712 times in 1,183 posts

Welcome vipersocks. can i ask from what sources have you obtaned that opinion? Not disagreeing at all, just like to have all the facts before I make up my own mind
    Cheers

16. Link to Post #74
    Thanks

Thank you k for taking the time and effort to work out this.....
    Have checked calculations and you are correct,
    any one else sat down and worked this out?
    m

Quote Posted by Kulapops (here)
    Hollow ? You mean like a giant Ferero Rocher ?? With a soft ganache centre perhaps ?

I too read the 'rang like a bell' comment somewhere, (John Lear?) and subsequently read somewhere else that this was not an accurate quote and it did not happen.

Actually, this was one of the first times I remember thinking to myself, 'how can you believe anything you read?'

Someone says with complete authority that it 'rang like a bell' then someone else says this did not happen.

Personally I agree with operator. If you throw a grain of sand at a BELL even, would it ring like a bell? I doubt it.

Shall we have a bit of fun with maths ? How about volume of a hollow moon, say 100m thick

Vol = 4/3 PI r2 3 - 4/3 PI r1 3 where r1 and r2 are the inner and outer diameters

= 4/3 * 3.14 * 3476 000m 3 - 4/3 * 3.14 * 3475 900 3

= 1.75925 x 10 20 - 1.759099 * 10 20

= 1.518 x 10 16

Now Mass = Volume x Density So.. what shall we make the moon out of ? Iron ? that's 7.86 Kg/m3

So if it was say, a hollow death star space station for example, it would weigh around 100 000 000 000 000 000 kg

Say a round 100 thousand billion tons (UK billions) . And how many tons did the apollo craft weigh ??

So you see, a grain of sand hitting a bell is not far out. You'd need good ears for that one

Note if it was made of cheese.. this figure would reduce to approx 18 thousand billion tons... If it was made out of cardboard, around 8 thousand billion tons

If the skin was only 10 metres thick..this brings it down nicely to 15.18 x 10 15 or 9 thousand billion tons for iron

17. Link to Post #75
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Quote Actually, this was one of the first times I remember thinking to myself, 'how can you believe anything you read?'

but equally - how and why believe anything you have read?

18. Link to Post #76
    Thanks

Quote Posted by witchy1 (here)
    , just like to have all the facts before I make up my own mind
    Cheers
    Hello again peeps... your friendly neighbourhood K here....

Your post made me smile though... because I thought I'd have a go at approaching this from a factual perspective (that is the simple equation of volume of the difference of two spheres) I chuckled to see how everyone totally ignored this like a pork chop at a bahmitzvah. Then we go off topic for a few pages and I'm pleased to see at least Morguana referencing my calculation again . Thanks Moggie

No one has disputed my estimate for the probable mass/weight of a moon being even as little as 10 metres thick. Given such a moon would have a mass of around 10 thousand billion tons if it were made of iron...and ok.. even if it were made of tin foil it would still be thousands of millions of tons. Well, given this, can you imagine what the mass of the other 3475 900 metres of rock/cheese/tinfoil would weigh?

I think in the earlier calculation , the smaller sphere was 1.5 x 10 20 m3 This is a colossal amount of material to remove. Ok.. if you're being imaginative you could always involve some alien technology lets say a dissolve-o-ray that would remove all of this stuff in seconds... but I thought it would be fun to stick to what we know for now.

I doubt that the moon is hollow and this is because life is not as exciting as you think it is, where you think it is.. yet it is far more amazing where you don't expect it

Much love...

K

P.S. Lightblue.. I think we can believe that classical maths and physics are to be believed up to a point... I should elaborate and say we cannot easily believe 'testimony' that we read (my opinion)
    Last edited by Kulapops; 4th December 2010 at 10:50.

19. Link to Post #77
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

P.S. Lightblue.. I think we can believe that classical maths and physics are to be believed up to a point... I should elaborate and say we cannot easily believe 'testimony' that we read (my opinion)

what's that point?

what do you know about the non-classical maths and physics?

always tricky to advise what's to be believed in..except for your own self only... l

20. Link to Post #78
    Thanks

Yes. I quite agree Lightblue... each to their own. If someone wants to believe the moon is hollow, that's up to them, I won't rain on their birthday party. However, I'm submitting a calculation based on known facts.. as we understand them in classical physics. To deny this is a bit like denying gravity exists (quote from Wiki)

Newton's law of universal gravitation states that every massive particle in the universe attracts every other massive particle with a force which is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. (Separately it was shown that large spherically-symmetrical masses attract and are attracted as if all their mass were concentrated at their centers.)

This is why.. if you take a box of museli and shake it up and down.. all the flakes will rise to the top and all the nuts will end up at the bottom. This isn't the Weetabix fairy doing this...

Anyway.. scientists are forever making mistakes and pretending they know everything. I for one made a mistake in that calculation. I could say deliberate mistake here but the truth is I used the diameter in the equation and not the radius.

I could rework out the maths. . but I learned enough from the first posting to know that no one is really that bothered...people's beiiefs are an even stronger force than gravity.

I think it's highly unlikely the moon is hollow. Planets are dense at their centre.. this is what gravity does... for any large object, dense matter will be drawn to the centre... look at the gas giants even, or the rings around saturn. I don't know for sure, but sturcturally, there's a chance a body as large as the moon might just collapse under its own weight. Certainly the gravitational effect of the earth on the moon would possibly cause distortions .

I think a bigger question here is, why would people want to invest that the moon is something other than it is? Like David Icke's Hypno ray theory ? I think we just love faith in things we can't know. Makes life more, shall we say, exciting? I believed in Father Christmas for quite a while... made christmas so much more ... entertaining.

P.S. Any kids reading this... he does exist by the way.....let someone prove to me that he doesnt' (oh and a hollow moon thesis on my desk by monday morning too )

21. Link to Post #79
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,103 times in 806 posts

Quote Posted by Kulapops (here)
    Hello again peeps... your friendly neighbourhood K here....

Your post made me smile though... because I thought I'd have a go at approaching this from a factual perspective (that is the simple equation of volume of the difference of two spheres) I chuckled to see how everyone totally ignored this like a pork chop at a bahmitzvah. Then we go off topic for a few pages and I'm pleased to see at least Morguana referencing my calculation again . Thanks Moggie

No one has disputed my estimate for the probable mass/weight of a moon being even as little as 10 metres thick. Given such a moon would have a mass of around 10 thousand billion tons if it were made of iron...and ok.. even if it were made of tin foil it would still be thousands of millions of tons. Well, given this, can you imagine what the mass of the other 3475 900 metres of rock/cheese/tinfoil would weigh?

I think in the earlier calculation , the smaller sphere was 1.5 x 10 20 m3 This is a colossal amount of material to remove. Ok.. if you're being imaginative you could always involve some alien technology lets say a dissolve-o-ray that would remove all of this stuff in seconds... but I thought it would be fun to stick to what we know for now.

I doubt that the moon is hollow and this is because life is not as exciting as you think it is, where you think it is.. yet it is far more amazing where you don't expect it

Much love...

K

We can't figure out what's inside the moon and the core structures just by calculating moon's mass with the data from NASA or Astronomy body.
    All the mass calculations as I know, maybe there is a different way, for satellite or planet like Earth is treated as point mass. It means, a point of mass by Issac Newtons' principal.
    Newton proved that even a hollow sphere can be treated a point of mass at the center.

Even the Moon's actual gravity became questionable since the Apollo missions by Moon researchers.

There are different tools to understand the internal structure of the Moon.

22. Link to Post #80
    Thanks

P.S. It's not just the moon that has synchronous rotation with the earth... so nothing too special there....

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/as...s/980218b.html

Quote The Question
    (Submitted February 18, 1998)

The Earth's moon orbits the earth with one side always facing the Earth. Do other moons orbit their respective planets in the same manner?

The Answer
    Most of the satellites in the solar system rotate synchronously like our moon (see http://www.seds.org/nineplanets/nineplanets/luna.html). An example of one that doesn't is Saturn's moon Hyperion. Its rotation is actually chaotic. You can find out more about it at http://www.seds.org/nineplanets/nine.../hyperion.html
    Also, http://www.solarviews.com/eng/data1.htm#orb

, which is a table of orbital and rotation periods, among other things.

Damian Audley and John Cannizzo
    for Ask an Astrophysicist

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 4 10 LastLast