+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 10/20/2011 -- Hawaii Earthquake swarm -- Mauna Kea Volcano -- Home of the telescopes

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,300 times in 5,193 posts

Default 10/20/2011 -- Hawaii Earthquake swarm -- Mauna Kea Volcano -- Home of the telescopes

"i checked last night and there were only 2 earthquakes at around 3.3 but to see so many in the last few hours is scary and unbelievable. i got this horrible feeling that the ring of fire will go up in one big bang! i went to yellowstone a few years ago and took few measurements of its growth, there was clear sign that there is a build up of pressure, i hope the constant earthquakes dont weaken the cap!"

Uploaded by dutchsinse on Oct 20, 2011

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ktlight For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th November 2022), Harmony (29th November 2022), Laura Elina (22nd October 2011), mab777 (28th November 2022), RMorgan (23rd October 2011), Snowbird (23rd October 2011)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,251 times in 2,177 posts

Default Re: 10/20/2011 -- Hawaii Earthquake swarm -- Mauna Kea Volcano -- Home of the telescopes

Quote Big Island’s Mauna Loa began erupting Sunday evening following earthquake

November 28, 2022 · 10:51 AM GMT

An eruption began about 11:30 p.m. Sunday in Moku‘āweoweo, the summit caldera of Mauna Loa, inside Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park on the Big Island.

The Hawaiian Volcano Observatory has issued a RED/WARNING.

At this time, lava flows are contained within the summit area and are not threatening downslope communities. Winds may carry volcanic gas and possibly fine ash and Pele’s hair downwind.

The eruption began about a half hour after a 4.4 magnitude earthquake occurred in the summit area of Mauna Loa. A 4.1 magnitude earthquake also occurred on the summit region of Mauna Loa at 11:52 p.m. Sunday, according to the National Weather Service in Honolulu.

Residents at risk from Mauna Loa lava flows should review preparedness and refer to Hawai‘i County Civil Defense information for further guidance.

The National Weather Service has issued an ashfall advisory until 6 a.m. Monday morning. Up to one-quarter inch of ashfall accumulation is forecast for a portion of the Big Island.

It could cause possible harm to crops and animals and reduce visibility. People with respiratory illnesses should remain indoors to avoid inhaling the ash particles and anyone outside should cover their mouth and nose with a mask or cloth

Mauna Loa was long overdue to erupt. The volcano had erupted 33 times since 1843, but the last time had been March 25, 1984.

Based on past events, the early stages of a Mauna Loa eruption can be very dynamic and the location and advance of lava flows can change rapidly.

If the eruption remains in Moku‘āweoweo (the summit caldera), lava flows will most likely be confined within the caldera walls. However, if the eruptive vents migrate outside its walls, lava flows may move rapidly downslope.

The Hawaiian Volcano Observatory is in close consultation with emergency management partners and will be monitoring the volcano closely to provide further updates on activity. As soon as possible, the observatory will conduct aerial reconnaissance to better describe the eruption and assess hazards.
    https://kauainownews.com/2022/11/28/...ng-earthquake/

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pueblo For This Post:

avid (28th November 2022), Bill Ryan (28th November 2022), Franny (28th November 2022), Harmony (29th November 2022), Johnnycomelately (28th November 2022), mountain_jim (28th November 2022), wondering (28th November 2022)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,316 times in 2,099 posts

Default Re: 10/20/2011 -- Hawaii Earthquake swarm -- Mauna Kea Volcano -- Home of the telescopes

A friend, whose daughter lives in Kamuela, about 70 miles away, just sent me this image taken by her daughter last night.

Click image for larger version

Name:	maunakea.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	49987
    A million galaxies are a little foam on that shoreless sea. ~ Rumi

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Franny For This Post:

avid (28th November 2022), Bill Ryan (28th November 2022), Harmony (29th November 2022), pueblo (28th November 2022), Wind (3rd December 2022), wondering (28th November 2022)

+ Reply to Thread