+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Antikythera Mechanism

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 times in 339 posts

Default The Antikythera Mechanism

Last edited by Bill Ryan; 28th March 2023 at 18:11.
    “Someday after mastering winds, waves, tides and gravity, we shall harness the energies of love. And then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will discover fire.”
    ~Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Hiram For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th March 2023), Casey Claar (28th March 2023), Harley (15th December 2010), Johnnycomelately (29th March 2023), lisa (16th December 2010), Menkaure (21st December 2010), Nasu (30th March 2023), RatRodRob...RRR (29th March 2023), rgray222 (7th April 2023), shadowstalker (14th December 2010), Vangelo (7th April 2023)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks

Default Re: The Antikythera Mechanism

Good stuff! Clever people! I have always been fascinated by that device. Do you guys know if more devices similar to this one (the original) have been found?

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to elysian For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th March 2023), Hiram (14th December 2010), Johnnycomelately (29th March 2023), Nasu (30th March 2023), RatRodRob...RRR (29th March 2023)

5. Link to Post #3
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,808 times in 2,892 posts

Awesome find
    Namaste-Matte

MY LATEST BOOK: "INTRUDERS UPON THE REALM"
    JOIN ME IN MY NEW ONGOING PROJECT
    My Bitchute
    My Music
    My Books
    Project: Shadowstalker

Once you get past the fear of darkness, you can find the things hidden in the shadows..

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shadowstalker For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th March 2023), Johnnycomelately (29th March 2023), Nasu (30th March 2023)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

I believe this is the only device even close to this ever found from that time period. Its not supposed to exist.

Whomever owned this device was in possession of an object of great wealth. If they didn't die when the ship sunk, they most certainly would have lamented losing such a device.

Keep in mind even during the middle ages, they were having trouble conceiving of gear differentials.
    “Someday after mastering winds, waves, tides and gravity, we shall harness the energies of love. And then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will discover fire.”

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hiram For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th March 2023), Harley (15th December 2010), Johnnycomelately (29th March 2023), Nasu (30th March 2023)

9. Link to Post #5
    Moderator (on Sabbatical) Harley's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,344 times in 1,378 posts

No Way!

Actually I've read a few articles about this some time ago. Amazing? That word doesn't even seem appropriate!

Here's a question: Disregarding the technical knowledge and ability to even conceive of such a device WAY BACK WHEN, let alone build it, WHY would they even feel the need to be able to make such precise measurements of eclipses and celestial events?

We Know Nothing, and yet We Know Everything!

Thanks Much For Posting This Hiram!

I think I'll go buy me some Legos!
    Harley

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Harley For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th March 2023), Johnnycomelately (29th March 2023), Nasu (30th March 2023)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

What did I love LEGO! Buf ofcourse none of this can be real ... it simply isn't in tune with our understanding of human history! If Darwin would have none!!!

Martin

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Martin For This Post:

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Harley Hawkins (here)
    No Way!

We Know Nothing, and yet We Know Everything!

Okay, ready to really freak out? LOL.

I wrote the exact same sentence above "We know nothing and yet We know everything" in the post with the video, but then I deleted it.

So your empathic abilities finished my work! (Puffs his pipe thoughtfully)

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hiram For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th March 2023), Johnnycomelately (29th March 2023), Nasu (30th March 2023), RatRodRob...RRR (29th March 2023)

15. Link to Post #8
    Moderator (on Sabbatical) Harley's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,344 times in 1,378 posts

Quote Posted by Hiram (here)
    Okay, ready to really freak out? LOL.

I wrote the exact same sentence above "We know nothing and yet We know everything" in the post with the video, but then I deleted it.

So your empathic abilities finished my work! (Puffs his pipe thoughtfully)
    WOW!

I don't know what's happening to me, but I appear to be Full-Of-It here lately!

LOL!
    Harley

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Harley For This Post:

17. Link to Post #9
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,152 times in 2,815 posts

I love this device

More than 21 centuries ago, a mechanism of fabulous ingenuity was created in Greece, a device capable of indicating exactly how the sky would look for decades to come -- the position of the moon and sun, lunar phases and even eclipses. But this incredible invention would be drowned in the sea and its secret forgotten for two thousand years.

This video is a tribute from Swiss clock-maker Hublot and film-maker Philippe Nicolet to this device, known as the Antikythera Mechanism, or the world's "first computer". The fragments of the Mechanism were discovered in 1901 by sponge divers near the island of Antikythera. It is kept since then at the National Archaeological Museum in Athens, Greece.

For more than a century, researchers were trying to understand its functions. Since 2005, a pluridisciplinary research team, the "Antikythera Mechanism Research Project", is studying the Mechanism with the latest high tech available.

The results of this ongoing research has enabled the construction of many models. Amongst them, the unique mechanism of a watch, designed by Hublot as a tribute to the Mechanism, is incorporating the known functions of this mysterious and fascinating ancient Mechanism.

A model of the Antikythera Mechanism, built by the Aristotle University in Greece, together with the mechanism of the watch and this film in 3D are featuring in an exhibition about the Mechanism that is taking place in Paris, at the Musée des Arts et Métiers.

18. Link to Post #10
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Maybe the ancient greeks did what we do today.. recreated a device which was thousands of years old, trying to figure it out, and we just found the copy :D

19. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to take For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th March 2023), Herbert (11th December 2011), Johnnycomelately (29th March 2023), Lord Sidious (22nd November 2011), Nasu (30th March 2023), OnyxKnight (10th January 2012), Pam (7th April 2023), RMorgan (11th December 2011), The One (22nd November 2011)

20. Link to Post #11
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,204 times in 958 posts

I recently found out that some scholars believe the device was once housed in the Tower of the Winds in Athens. The Tower of the Winds also contained a Clepsydra or water clock. The Tower itself served as an axis from which to measure. It was octagonal and had representations of each wind deity on the sides. It would make sense that it would have been housed in this kind of structure. Here's my movie about the TOTW

Last edited by Cartomancer; 11th December 2011 at 17:45.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cartomancer For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th March 2023), Johnnycomelately (29th March 2023)

22. Link to Post #12
    United States Avalon Member Symbolseeker's Avatar
    Thanks

According to Physicist-historian Duncan-Enzmann this mechanism calculated the movement and position of observable heavenly bodies, accurately, for the purpose of predicting events that would affect life on earth. The megalithic observatories of the stone age were built for the same purpose - to facilitate agriculture by calculating seasons, and to enable navigation by measuring the movement of the stars, thus recording time and location. For later cultures to have developed mechanical devices to do just that is quite reasonable. The Emerald Tablet is famous for "As above, so below", a statement that says: if you know your astronomy (above) you will know exactly where you are on Earth (below).The approach to history which depicts our ancestors as primitive and unintelligent is quite mistaken. They built heated houses, made quilted clothing, and taught astronomy to their children. That is what it took to survive 50 below 0 weather. If they had not, we would not be here. (ref: iceagelanguage.com; Symbology, Decoding Classic Images)

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Symbolseeker For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th March 2023), Cartomancer (11th December 2011), Casey Claar (28th March 2023), Johnnycomelately (29th March 2023), Nasu (30th March 2023), Pam (7th April 2023)

24. Link to Post #13
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,204 times in 958 posts

Quote Posted by Symbolseeker (here)
    According to Physicist-historian Duncan-Enzmann this mechanism calculated the movement and position of observable heavenly bodies, accurately, for the purpose of predicting events that would affect life on earth. The megalithic observatories of the stone age were built for the same purpose - to facilitate agriculture by calculating seasons, and to enable navigation by measuring the movement of the stars, thus recording time and location. For later cultures to have developed mechanical devices to do just that is quite reasonable. The Emerald Tablet is famous for "As above, so below", a statement that says: if you know your astronomy (above) you will know exactly where you are on Earth (below).The approach to history which depicts our ancestors as primitive and unintelligent is quite mistaken. They built heated houses, made quilted clothing, and taught astronomy to their children. That is what it took to survive 50 below 0 weather. If they had not, we would not be here. (ref: iceagelanguage.com; Symbology, Decoding Classic Images)
    Well said. Maybe the device isn't such an enigma after all?

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cartomancer For This Post:

26. Link to Post #14
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,103 times in 806 posts
    For free society!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Hughe For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th March 2023)

28. Link to Post #15
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,350 times in 1,657 posts

From the Guardian -

Divers revisit wreck where ancient computer found

Site where oldest computer lay for thousands of years may yield other treasures and even another Antikythera mechanism

It took more than 100 years to work out from its corroded remains how the Antikythera mechanism worked. Video: New Scientist

In 1900, Greek sponge divers stumbled across "a pile of dead, naked women" on the seabed near the tiny island of Antikythera. It turned out the figures were not corpses but bronze and marble statues, part of a cargo of stolen Greek treasure that was lost when the Roman ship carrying them sank two thousand years ago on the island's treacherous rocks.

It was the first marine wreck to be studied by archaeologists, and yielded the greatest haul of ancient treasure that had ever been found. Yet the salvage project – carried out in treacherous conditions with desperately crude equipment – was never completed. So this month, armed with the latest diving technology, scientists are going back.

read more

Could be interesting, although I suspect if there was anything else down there it would've been removed by now. Who knows.

29. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Muzz For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th March 2023), Cidersomerset (5th October 2012), conk (5th October 2012), Corncrake (5th October 2012), ExomatrixTV (27th March 2023), fractal being (4th October 2012), genevieve (5th October 2012), gigha (4th October 2012), Healthy Skeptic (5th October 2012), Johnnycomelately (29th March 2023), Kristo (5th October 2012), mosquito (5th October 2012), NancyV (27th March 2023), Nasu (27th March 2023), Stephanie (12th July 2023)

30. Link to Post #16
    Australia Avalon Member
    Thanks

The latest video about the computer.

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Healthy Skeptic For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th March 2023), ExomatrixTV (27th March 2023), Muzz (6th October 2012), Ricker (6th October 2012)

32. Link to Post #17
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 125,735 times in 20,828 posts

• The Ancient 'Computer' That Simply Shouldn't Exist - BBC Reel 2022:

A hundred and twenty years ago, divers discovered a shipwreck off the island of Antikythera in Greece. What they found changed our understanding of human history. The mysterious Antikythera Mechanism has captured the imagination of archaeologists, mathematicians, and scientists ever since. Now, using the latest 3D x-ray and modelling technology, experts are unravelling the secrets of what this machine may have been capable of.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

33. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th March 2023), Ernie Nemeth (27th March 2023), Johnnycomelately (29th March 2023), NancyV (27th March 2023), Nasu (27th March 2023)

34. Link to Post #18
    United States Avalon Member Ratszinger's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,281 times in 1,399 posts

There must have been more than one of those devices and more importantly the device itself represents serious advanced knowledge the people of the time were never known to have had so it means that culture was significanly older than previously thought! It had to be because that kind of skilll set only comes with high culture, education and serious understanding and awareness of their surroundings and how the planet and physics works out. That is not the kind of thing that just comes up in some cave invented by cave men hunter gatherers that could not have been smart enough to use the oceans as highways or to grow their own crops or to even have commerce or trade! That is what scholars and academics want us to believe about the ancient people anyway. In my opinion this device alone proves they were off in many ways about advancments of the ancient peoples.
    The genius consistently stands out from the masses in that he unconsciously anticipates truths of which the population as a whole only later becomes conscious! Speech-circa 1937

35. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ratszinger For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th March 2023), Ernie Nemeth (28th March 2023), ExomatrixTV (1st April 2023), Johnnycomelately (29th March 2023), Nasu (30th March 2023), RatRodRob...RRR (29th March 2023)

36. Link to Post #19
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 125,735 times in 20,828 posts

• Antikythera Mechanism V2.0: A Modernized Reproduction:

Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 7th April 2023 at 19:31.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Bill Ryan (7th April 2023), Ernie Nemeth (7th April 2023), Pam (7th April 2023)

38. Link to Post #20
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,600 times in 5,379 posts

Quote Posted by ExomatrixTV (here)
    • Antikythera Mechanism V2: A Modernized Reproduction:

fascinating and informative
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Bill Ryan (26th July 2023), ExomatrixTV (7th April 2023)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast