+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Ham radio information needed

1. Link to Post #141
    United States Honored, Retired Member. Ron passed in October 2022.
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,256 times in 2,136 posts

Default Re: Ham radio information needed

Ref: https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...=1#post1318752

It is important to test radio, feedline (coax) and antenna before it is needed.
    Studying for an amateur radio license will help very much.
    Having a local friend who is an Ham will also be of much help.

It is no longer necessary to learn Morse code (in the US).

To avoid damaging the transmitter the system needs to be checked for reflected power (power not radiated by the antenna and reflected back to the transmitter) to avoid damage. This requires an SWR bridge to measure reflected power. Tests are conducted at very low power settings.

Separate SWR checks are required for each antenna system.

I am not encouraging anyone to transmit without a license but in a life threatening emergency it would be the right thing to do.
    Last edited by Ron Mauer Sr; 15th October 2019 at 17:16.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

aoibhghaire (15th October 2019), Bill Ryan (15th October 2019), Cara (16th October 2019)

3. Link to Post #142
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,999 times in 370 posts

I don't know if this is true or not. I was informed, the ham radio repeaters around California, were to be shut down. Can anyone with first-hand knowledge confirm this please ?
    Am I one of many or am I many of one ? interesting .

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scanner For This Post:

aoibhghaire (15th October 2019), Bill Ryan (15th October 2019), Cara (16th October 2019)

5. Link to Post #143
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,741 times in 1,499 posts

Quote Posted by scanner (here)
    I don't know if this is true or not. I was informed, the ham radio repeaters around California, were to be shut down. Can anyone with first-hand knowledge confirm this please ?
    Where did you get this information? What band repeaters - 2m, 70cm...?

The ARRL has nothing about it on the website that I can find. It also sounds most unlikely and would kick up quite a stink in the ham radio community, along with the retailers of ham radio equipment designed to use repeaters.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nick Matkin For This Post:

aoibhghaire (15th October 2019), Bill Ryan (15th October 2019), Cara (16th October 2019), scanner (15th October 2019)

7. Link to Post #144
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Nick Matkin (here)

The ARRL has nothing about it on the website that I can find. It also sounds most unlikely and would kick up quite a stink in the ham radio community, along with the retailers of ham radio equipment designed to use repeaters.
    That's why I'm asking for clarification. I'm not at liberty to tell you where I received this info. Here's an extract and link https://offgridsurvival.com/californ...ger-a-benefit/

California Officials declare Ham Radio no longer a benefit; Demands Ham radio repeater infrastructure to be Removed.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scanner For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th October 2019), Cara (16th October 2019)

9. Link to Post #145
    Thanks
    Thanked 456,560 times in 32,726 posts

Quote Posted by Nick Matkin (here)

That's why I'm asking for clarification. I'm not at liberty to tell you where I received this info. Here's an extract and link https://offgridsurvival.com/californ...ger-a-benefit/

California Officials declare Ham Radio no longer a benefit; Demands Ham radio repeater infrastructure to be Removed.
    Wow, that's so hard to believe. Or to rationalize (without going into Orwellian scenarios, which seem the only explanation).

Why force them to be shut down? Who benefits? That's all a bit like trying to make Morse Code illegal.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Cara (16th October 2019), Hervé (15th October 2019), I am B (16th November 2021), scanner (15th October 2019), Yoda (17th October 2019)

11. Link to Post #146
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,102 times in 4,060 posts

I heard this and spent a tiny amount of time looking into it, there is a fight back against the legislation that junks the CA Ham relay network - this is what I found - link to post

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Matthew For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th October 2019), Cara (16th October 2019), scanner (15th October 2019)

13. Link to Post #147
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 95,889 times in 15,481 posts

California Officials declare Ham Radio no longer a benefit; Demands Ham radio repeater infrastructure to be Removed

October 10, 2019
    Off Grid Survival
    OFFGRID Survival News,
    Police State,
    Prepper News: Threat Reports and Preparedness News 341

The People’s Republic of California is at it again; through unelected state officials, California is severing ties to ham radio repeater owners throughout the state, jeopardizing the lives of millions of Californians who depend on these repeaters to operate during emergencies.

Last month, repeater operators were sent emails telling them the State would no longer allow them to operate repeaters on public land without paying substantial rental fees. In the letter sent by CAL FIRE, the state claims Ham operators no longer provide a benefit to the state or public safety. They claimed that “constantly changing technological advances” has made Ham radio obsolete during an emergency.

Keep in mind; this is a state that is currently shutting power down in 34 of its counties because its infrastructure cannot handle 20-30 mph winds without risking wildfire breakouts throughout the state.

What is a Ham Radio Repeater
    An amateur radio repeater system is a two-way radio system that takes weaker or low-level amateur radio signals and retransmits them at a higher level or higher power so that the radio signal can cover longer distances without degradation. It is a vital part of the local emergency communications system, and Ham Radio operators have been using them for decades to provide support during disasters that take out local communication infrastructure.
    Why would they remove something that is the last line of defense during a disaster?
    What is infuriating here is people are going to die because of this decision. It costs the State of California nothing to allow these repeaters on public land; in fact, Ham Radio Operators pay for the equipment and maintain the equipment at their own cost. Ham Radio operators also make nothing from running these radio repeaters; they do so as a service to the public to help ensure the public’s safety during natural disasters and emergencies.

Here is a good explanation of what’s going on from a Ham Radio operator in CaliforniaWhile paying billions of dollars a year to cater to illegal immigrants and welfare bums, California is now targeting hard-working Ham operators who provide critical and vital Disaster Emergency Communications. These people have absolutely lost their minds!

There is a nationwide effort to Kill Ham Radio

Even most Hams haven’t taken notice, but in 2012 the federal government launched FirstNet, a public safety nationwide broadband network that many in the government think will make Ham radio operators obsolete. In reality, its nothing more than a $47 Billion Federal Cell Phone Network that itself is already obsolete. In fact, it needs LOTS of infrastructure to function, and it creates multiple, single points of failure.

The real story here is Ham Radio is a threat to the government. We make them look stupid! They spend billions on infrastructure that breaks down, while we can literally take a hundred bucks in equipment, some random wires, and in minutes set up a radio system that can communicate with anyone in the world. Hell, I’ve used my kid’s slinky, some Television Coax Cable, and a solar battery system to build a mobile rig that I’ve used to talk to people around the world — You can check out the Radio Rig Here.

They don’t want the public to realize that we can take care of ourselves, and do a much better and cheaper job doing so!
    Last edited by Hervé; 15th October 2019 at 19:20.
    "La réalité est un rêve que l'on fait atterrir" San Antonio AKA F. Dard

Troll-hood motto: Never, ever, however, whatsoever, to anyone, a point concede.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th October 2019), Cara (16th October 2019), I am B (16th November 2021), Matthew (15th October 2019), onevoice (15th October 2019), scanner (15th October 2019)

15. Link to Post #148
    Thanks

Quote Posted by YoYoYo (here)
    I heard this and spent a tiny amount of time looking into it, there is a fight back against the legislation that junks the CA Ham relay network - this is what I found - link to post
    Makes interesting reading. I can only surmise two reasons, 1 it's a free service and cannot have pecuniary gain, by Worldwide agreement. 2, if you want to blind your enemy shut down their comms. That is purely my assumption of course, if anyone can better my assumption, be my guest.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to scanner For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th October 2019), Cara (16th October 2019), I am B (16th November 2021), Matthew (15th October 2019)

17. Link to Post #149
    Thanks

From what information I've gathered, what California has done was ban amateur radio antennas from public property. Antennas on private property are not effected. Amateur radio antennas are often found on water towers and towers where other radio service antennas (commercial and public communications) are located. A high antenna is very helpful to extend the range of very high frequencies (VHF) and ultra high frequencies (UHF) which are popular frequency bands for amateur radio repeaters.

Some California bureaucrats incorrectly think that amateur radio is useless in an emergency. The truth is that amateur radio will be the last man standing when things start to collapse.

Those who are looking for the real reason might consider this:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Greatest Weapon.png
Views:	166
Size:	800.6 KB
ID:	41673
    Last edited by Ron Mauer Sr; 15th October 2019 at 19:45.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th October 2019), Cara (16th October 2019), Casey Claar (19th April 2023), Matthew (15th October 2019), Nick Matkin (6th November 2022), scanner (15th October 2019)

19. Link to Post #150
    Thanks

Indeed, it is.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scanner For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th October 2019), Cara (16th October 2019), Matthew (15th October 2019)

21. Link to Post #151
    Thanks

Amateur radio repeaters are widespread over the planet and their locations can be easily found. For example, I searched for repeaters in Ecuador using this link.

There are two repeaters on the 2 meter band.
    146.7900 -0.6 MHz Cuenca
    146.9400 -0.6 MHz Cuenca, Santa Ana

Some repeaters (not these two) have internet access which dramatically increases the number of people you can talk with, radio->internet->radio (or computer). But this feature goes away when the internet goes down.

The most useful amateur radio band for long distance communication is 20 meters. Depending on time of day and atmospheric conditions the 20 meter band can be used to talk around the world. In this frequency band the signal can be bounced off the upper atmosphere then back to earth's surface. Multiple hops (skip) is possible (sometimes).

I would not encourage anyone to transmit without a license. It takes a little education and training to set up a radio, feed line and antenna to operate effectively. Learning Morse code is no longer a requirement to get a license in the US.

If the equipment is to be used in an emergency, it needs to be set up before it is needed. If set up incorrectly the transmitter can be damaged.

I encourage all who are interested in fun with radios, or in emergency communications to find a local ham and ask for some help/advice, and please get a license.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 25th September 2020 at 02:51.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th October 2019), Cara (16th October 2019), Casey Claar (19th April 2023), I am B (16th November 2021)

23. Link to Post #152
    Thanks

Oh dear. What a lot of muddled scary stuff in those links from mostly non-technical sources.

Just in case anyone thinks ham radio is going to be closed down in California, no it's not. The fuss seems to be about the fact that if the repeater antennas are mounted on any structure that is not privately owned (like a well sited house) the local repeater group will have to pay the site owners considerably more for use of the site. Seems a bit petty as it doesn't actually cost anything (maybe a few dollars a month for the electricity to power the repeater equipment) to host a repeater. I know because I am familiar with such a set up. So rather than get a few hundred dollars rent a year, now the site owners will get nothing as the equipment will be relocated.

Anyone can look into all the conspiracy, closing down free communication clap-trap if they like, but it's just that - clap trap. Unless that is someone can present accurate data from an ARRL press release to suggest otherwise.

It's well recognised that ham radio is still very important in national emergencies. However in such cases the repeater network is of limited use since once the back-up batteries have expired (if there were any in the first place) the repeater is useless and ham communication will just have to fall back on local HF bands like 160 and 80m.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nick Matkin For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th October 2019), Cara (16th October 2019)

25. Link to Post #153
    Thanks

No one is suggesting ham radio will be closed down. These people, LAW OFFICE OF A. NATHAN ZELIFF, seem to think it's a tad more serious than clap trap. Sending a fourteen-page email to the relevant departments.

http://www.shastadefense.com/FAX-Cal...io20190923.pdf

This is just the second page,
    Page 2 of 14Dear Ms. Pisi: I am writing you concerning your e-mail to Ham Radio Repeater owners advising them that they must remove all repeater equipment from various mountain locations unless they pay huge fees. (See Exhibit A – which is a copy of your e-mail). I am advised that this action is being done for the entire State of California. Many of these repeaters have been in public safety use for decades. They have saved lives. They have in fact been used for public safety and to protect life and property when the public communication systems have completely collapsed and failed during disasters. The cost to the State of California is nothing for these repeaters. Rather, Ham Radio Operators pay for the equipment and maintain the equipment at their own cost. The Ham Radio Operators do not make any money off of these repeaters. Your actions will destroy the existing Ham Radio Repeater System Infrastructure and Network that is a critical and vital asset for Disaster Emergency Communications. This Ham Radio Emergency Communications Infrastructure has existed for decades. Additionally, once removed, these Ham Radio assets will be cost prohibitive to rebuild. Moreover, your actions will serve to eviscerate the SHINGLETOWN EMERGENCY RADIO PLAN (SER PLAN), and directly expose residents of Shingletown (and other areas) to increased risk of being trapped by raging wildfires as well as subjecting residents to increased risk of loss of life from disasters. The result will be the same for all areas throughout the Entire State of California if this Cal Fire “DISASTER IN THE MAKING” is not IMMEDIATELY TERMINATED AND RENDERED PERMANENTLY - DEAD ON ARRIVAL! One of the foundational elements of the SER PLAN is: Early observation and reporting. This facilitates rapid response by Cal Fire and other emergency resources. In Shingletown, we have been warned that we could be the “next Paradise”. In order to try and avoid that prediction, Shingletown has continued implementing the SER PLAN. This PLAN has taken over 4 years to design, build, and refine. It is an operating emergency communications plan (combining HAM and NON Ham Neighborhood allocated frequencies). There are no fees, no dues and no one has to join any group. Hams and Neighborhoods just get on board, plug in and follow the plan. The SER PLAN has been described by a Shasta County Sheriff Lieutenant (Office of Emergency Services) as “robust”. The Lieutenant told me that he had reviewed the SER Plan and he was very impressed. Briefly, the SER PLAN involves coordination and communications within and between neighborhoods. We conduct weekly drills involving exactly the type of items recommended by the Sheriff and Cal Fire

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to scanner For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th October 2019), Cara (16th October 2019), Casey Claar (19th April 2023), Nick Matkin (16th October 2019), onevoice (15th October 2019)

27. Link to Post #154
    Aaland Avalon Member Blastolabs's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,351 times in 431 posts

I have not seen anyone mention 2 extremely cheap "new" options.

$20 RTL-SDR Transmit Only Huge Range
    $25 Baofeng UV-5R Allows you to transmit and Receive (Need License or Emergency to Transmit

Software Defined Radio's start at $20 and allow you to listen only to Frequency Range: 500 kHz – 1766 MHz

They come as a USB Dongle you plug into any computer.

You can also go to websdr.orgto listen to dozens of SDR Radios stationed all over the world. Since one device can listen to multiple frequencies at once you actually get to choose nearly any frequency nearly anywhere on earth

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Blastolabs For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th January 2021)

29. Link to Post #155
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,814 times in 3,730 posts

You got me excited for a minute there, but sadly:

https://baofengtech.com/product/uv-5r/

Discontinued product (Is that why it is so cheap maybe) and most certainly not a USB dongle

I am a little confused by your post. Can you please elaborate is this two posts in one?
    -- Let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all --

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anchor For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th January 2021), Blastolabs (8th January 2021)

31. Link to Post #156
    Aaland Avalon Member Blastolabs's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,351 times in 431 posts

The Beofang is currently available on Amazon $24.
    Battery Last a long time, a friend tested one at 10 miles and it worked great.
    https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R...dp/B007H4VT7A/

The SDR radios are a completely different device that needs to be plugged into a computer.

Tradition analog radio receivers typically uses a variable capacitor to tune to specific frequencies. Software Defined Radios receive on all frequencies then use software filters to tune to specific frequencies. This allows 1 SDRadio to receive multiple frequencies.

The cheap one's do not transmit

$20
    RTL-SDR https://www.amazon.com/NooElec-NESDR...dp/B009U7WZCA/

The more expensive ones transmit and receive in the range of 1MHz to 6GHz

$324 HackRF-1 https://www.amazon.com/NooElec-Softw...dp/B01K1CCHR0/

Anyone at all interested in HAM should definitely check out http://websdr.org

It really highlights how powerful these SDR radios are and allows you to listen to nearly every frequency that exists. Special plugins can even be installed to listen to trunked radio and encrypted radio.
    Last edited by Blastolabs; 8th January 2021 at 08:20.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blastolabs For This Post:

Anchor (8th January 2021), Bill Ryan (8th January 2021)

33. Link to Post #157
    Thanks

Beofang products are cheap and popular transceivers. AFAIK they are only 2m and/or 70cm (VHF/UHF) and not HF, so only for local use, i.e. up to about 5 miles depending upon terrain, although repeater networks will extend this. Warning, they are not easy to use unless you are very familiar with small, multi-function key, menu-driven radio kit! They are not easy-to-use walkie-talkies!

Cheap dongles can be quite fun, but their frequency coverage is usually pretty limited without modification, and are prone to overload problems (generate phantom signals that aren't there) and of course don't transmit. The antennas they usually come with are only suitable for receiving very strong local signals, and unless antennas are mounted some 10s of yards away will probably pick up loads of interference from the computer they are being used with! Antennas and dongles is a complex subject; too small and it won't pick up much, too big and the signals will swamp the device. And of course it also depends upon what frequencies you want to listen to as to what antenna you will need.

I use the SDRPlay RSPdx. https://www.sdrplay.com/. Receive only, but covers 1 kHz to 2 GHz with appropriate antennas. I find it's a big improvement over their earlier SDRs, but it should be at about 200 UKP!

34. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nick Matkin For This Post:

Anchor (8th January 2021), Bill Ryan (8th January 2021), I am B (16th November 2021), Operator (18th April 2023), Tintin (8th January 2021), Tracie (Bodhicee) (8th January 2021)

35. Link to Post #158
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Great to know that this is the history of Avalon Forum.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Kirstenwilliamson23 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (16th November 2021)

37. Link to Post #159
    Vanuatu On Sabbatical
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,178 times in 354 posts

Hi All,

Just finished reading most of this thread. I have a few amateur radios here. If you're looking to become a ham operator your best bet is to get yourself the ARRL handbook and read it through, it should provide you with all the information to become a licensed ham operator. I also suggest joining your local amateur radio club every country will have one. Just get in contact with the president of the club and tell them that you want to become a ham operator and take it from there.

The ARRL handbook covers everything.

http://www.arrl.org/news/the-2022-ar...-now-available

With regards to equipment, there is a lot of radios out there back in the day most of the were half solid-state and half tubes (final power output). Today they are entirely solid state, and now you get solid-state with SDR, the same goes with the price.

If you looking for something go for a 2nd hand solid state like the Yeasu or Icom. I have both and they are brilliant radios. Make sure it has at least 100 watts. You don't want one that has a limit of 5 watts. In our field this is considered a QRP radio, meaning very low power and it provides another complexity where you might not be heard due to low power output. Some hams like this added complexity. It's a thrilling moment to make contact in a different country with 5 watts on the HF band.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaesu_FT-817

The antenna is another important part, It must be tuned or the reflected power from the antenna will damage your radio and then you will need to get that fixed. So hence why we use an Antenna Analyser and Tuner, to keep the SWR down.

Coax is another factor to consider always make sure it's a good quality 50 ohm and has a minimum loss. Something like this

https://www.strictlyham.com.au/rg-213-u

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Szymon

38. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Szymon For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th April 2023), Casey Claar (19th April 2023), Harmony (19th April 2023), Johnnycomelately (19th April 2023), Nick Matkin (19th April 2023), Operator (19th April 2023), Strat (19th April 2023)

39. Link to Post #160
    United States Avalon Member Casey Claar's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,756 times in 702 posts

Bill - did you ever get your ham setup? ( have you learned how to use it? ).
    "Love is what is left when you let go of everything you no longer need." —Raj

40. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Casey Claar For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th April 2023), Harmony (19th April 2023), Johnnycomelately (19th April 2023), Nick Matkin (19th April 2023), Szymon (19th April 2023)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 8 9 LastLast