+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 10 LastLast

Thread: Tiny Houses

1. Link to Post #21
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,209 times in 1,149 posts

Default Re: Tiny Houses

I opened my Mother Earth Newsletter (free with subscription) and up came a delightful article about 8 Great Microhouses. Here's the link: http://www.motherearthnews.com/natur...m_medium=email Plus a fun photo of one of them:

And one more fun one:

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dawn For This Post:

161803398 (6th January 2012), Belle (7th January 2012), eileenrose (19th February 2012), Ineffable Hitchhiker (7th January 2012), kanishk (15th March 2012), Ron Mauer Sr (14th November 2012)

3. Link to Post #22
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,885 times in 912 posts

I also follow the tiny house movement.

A lot can be learned about space management, dual purposing and efficiency. One of the greatest advantages is less upkeep, cleaning and maintenance which frees up time and energy for more stimulating projects.

A 100 square foot home definitely isn't for everyone but, you sure can do a lot with 1,000 square feet with proper planing and layout...
    “Bundinn er bátlaus maður”

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 13th Warrior For This Post:

Dawn (7th January 2012), Ron Mauer Sr (14th November 2012)

5. Link to Post #23
    Avalon Member Ineffable Hitchhiker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,854 times in 495 posts

$1800 used shipping container as architects' backyard office

This chap uses shipping containers as an office, but as can be seen, could quite easily be converted into a home.

Quote Shipping containers are built to carry huge loads and the refrigerated units are very efficient at climate control. So it's unsurprising that when they're retired from the sea, they're being used as the building blocks for homes and offices.

Given their strength they work well in earthquake country. In Berkeley, California architect Karl Wanaselja and his business partner and wife Cate Leger created their home-office using a shipping container. It cost just $1800.

Wanaselja and Leger cut their 40 foot long refrigerated unit in half and placed it in a T shape in their backyard (with the help of a crane). They didn't need to add any insulation: they're designed to not have any thermal bridging between the interior and exterior and the polyisocyanurate insulation has the highest R-value of any foam insulation.

Using a sawzall (reciprocating saw), the couple cut huge windows into the aluminum/stainless steel structure. Wanaselja says he was initially intimidated by the idea of crafting out of aluminum (the exterior material) and stainless steel (interior), but "once I got over my learning curve I actually like working with metal".

In this video, the couple talk about working in a cargo container, using materials like the soy-based plywood floor (Purebond) and the music made by rain and branches on a metal roof.

Great thread btw.
    The heart knows a hundred thousand ways to speak.
    ~ rumi

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ineffable Hitchhiker For This Post:

Dawn (7th January 2012), eileenrose (19th February 2012), Ron Mauer Sr (14th November 2012), ruthy (10th September 2013), write4change (15th November 2012)

7. Link to Post #24
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 times in 1,408 posts

How about we pay nothing for a SPACIOUS HOME! Isnt this nice...society is making available SHOE BOXES for those who just cant SLAVE enough for an OVERPRICED house. Sick...nope not good enough....Earth is ALL OF OURS and so is its shelter!
    We X Billions want to change the world and it appears we are......
    PARADISE IS POSSIBLE EVERYWHERE 4 EVERYONE

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CD7 For This Post:

carriellbee (13th November 2013), Ki's (15th November 2012), Lettherebelight (19th February 2012), Ron Mauer Sr (14th November 2012)

9. Link to Post #25
    United States Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,049 times in 934 posts

I love this post!

My consciousness just expanded!

Thank you, Mr. rmauaersr for this post and to all who added to it...

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gooty64 For This Post:

Dawn (7th January 2012), mosquito (19th February 2012), Ron Mauer Sr (14th November 2012)

11. Link to Post #26
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,216 times in 388 posts

For 1000s of years people lived in small houses. I just read Cracker Culture about the Old South, and 90% of southerners lived in 1 room houses and often had large families. Here in Ukraine most people up until recently lived in homes no larger then 700 sq ft. The reason for small homes was easy to build, and needed less energy.
    I just dont understand why a family of 3 need a 4,000 sq ft home to live in..heck they don't even live in 80% of that house.
    One thing I noticed about life..is when a man is young he seeks all the wealth, wants the best car, big house and wants to keep up with the Jones. Then as he is 65 and wants to retire he sells his house-car etc..and goes and lives in a 1 room flat or even some into a retirement home that has 1 room. Instead of working his life to accumulate big homes, cars, junk..he could have bought a small pad, a small car and been much more financial free. Also in the book 'Your Money or Your Life" they talk that all this stuff 'big homes etc" doesn't make people any more happy. They say it often tends to work against people and makes them more miserable..the more is better idea....When in fact people only need just enough..I learned in life I really dont need much to be content.
    Photo is my home in Ukraine..It is living space 410 sq ft. Has "the white siding' a storage room- gas furnace. My heating bill in the winter is 30 bucks a month. i jar my own grapes, tomatoes..and have a rot cellar that I store potatoes jars, and beets-carrots in. i buy meats, and flours and stuff..and barter milk..my neighbors rents my land and plants onions and gives me free milk in return.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	House 2.JPG
Views:	360
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	12497  
    Last edited by BestLion; 7th January 2012 at 16:27.

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BestLion For This Post:

Dawn (7th January 2012), eileenrose (19th February 2012), GreenGuy (5th December 2013), Ineffable Hitchhiker (28th January 2012), Ivanhoe (10th September 2013), mosquito (19th February 2012), Ol' Roy (15th November 2012), Ron Mauer Sr (14th November 2012), write4change (15th November 2012)

13. Link to Post #27
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,209 times in 1,149 posts

Quote BestLion: ...people only need just enough..I learned in life I really dont need much to be content.
    Photo is my home in Ukraine..It is living space 410 sq ft. Has "the white siding' a storage room- gas furnace. My heating bill in the winter is 30 bucks a month. i jar my own grapes, tomatoes..and have a rot cellar that I store potatoes jars, and beets-carrots in. i buy meats, and flours and stuff..and barter milk..my neighbors rents my land and plants onions and gives me free milk in return.
    Thank you so much for your personal sharing. I really like what you said and how you said it. What a wonderful way to live. It sounds like you still have the sense of community that so many lack these days.

There is something about sharing food, which the earth produces so abundantly, with others that really (really!) makes us feel abundant. I think it is a form of love. It is also speaking to that part of ourselves which is always focused on safety and survival, "look here, I not only have enough, I have more than enough and can enrich others too!"

And the inexpensive heating bill is so relaxing, isn't it? Our bill is about $35/month for our tiny home. It helps that we live in a mild climate. My sister lives down the road in a 2,400 square foot home with her husband. Her bill, for contrast, is about $250 in the winter and $75 in the summer. Life feels safe and relaxing when all you need to do is earn $35.00 to keep yourself warm and comfy.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dawn For This Post:

BestLion (8th January 2012), Ineffable Hitchhiker (28th January 2012), Ron Mauer Sr (14th November 2012)

15. Link to Post #28
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,663 times in 349 posts

Here's a small house of sorts for ya. We lived on this boat for 3 years with our teenage daughter. Kinda hard to grow a garden but otherwise all the comforts of home.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to spiritwind For This Post:

Dawn (11th September 2013), Ineffable Hitchhiker (28th January 2012), Lettherebelight (19th February 2012), panopticon (23rd January 2012), Ron Mauer Sr (14th November 2012), ViralSpiral (28th January 2012)

17. Link to Post #29
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,320 times in 994 posts

True Freedom is in the Mind... not the space your body inhabits...

My current home is a 1941 Quonset Hut... about 700 sq.ft., all steel, with it's Original, 70y.o. roof. Still doesn't leak!... No/low maintenance,, but I've had to upgrade virtually everything. But - you know what?... it's Still Too Big!

Many years ago, I had made plans to build, and live on a boat... but nothing on the market really made sense to me, given my extensive experiences in that arena. Ultimately, I created a design that I eventually got patented... never did anything with the patent (that I wrote and illustrated myself) - it was more of an intellectual exercise for me. But, the product is still quite novel - that of a self-righting trimaran, which has been 'reduced to practice'... I even started building a 25ft prototype (the concept is applicable to any size or motive type - sail or power... Now... where's that Free Energy Device!!!???)
    The prototype is 25+ft x 8ft to 15ft wide, with 6.5ft headroom almost throughout, and weighs 1400 lbs,dry.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Kindred; 23rd January 2012 at 13:38.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kindred For This Post:

Dawn (11th September 2013), Ron Mauer Sr (14th November 2012)

19. Link to Post #30
    Avalon Member Ineffable Hitchhiker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,854 times in 495 posts

Two very interesting ideas on small-housing.
    One a political view, another a private decision.

Quote Jay Shafer: The Politics of Tiny Houses
    In February, 2011, we spent a couple of hours with Jay Shafer (Tumbleweed Tiny House Company), in his 96 square foot house-on-wheels in Sebastopol, California. Jay is one of the more well-known and successful tiny house designers, and there's no denying the "curb appeal" of his designs. That appeal is generated by Jay's careful attention to proportion as well as by his decisions about which elements to include in--and more precisely, what to leave out of-- his designs. But as much as he enjoys talking about design, what he really wanted to talk about was the politics of tiny houses. Why building and zoning codes are stacked against tiny houses, how the costs of purchase and upkeep compare to the big houses he calls "debtors' prisons", and why, when the Big One shakes the land around San Francisco Bay, he'd rather be in his tiny house than anywhere else.

Quote Tim Guiles: Conversations in Tiny House
    In 2008 Tim Guiles built two tiny houses based on Jay Shafer's "WeeBee" design (Tumbleweed Tiny House Co.); one for himself and one for his son. He was so enthralled with tiny house living that one year later he formed a company, http://yesweecabins.com ....and hired an architect to help him with the design of his first product, an 8'x18' tiny house on a steel car trailer called "Elegant Simplicity." Tim and his partner, Kate, are now living in one of his tiny houses; he has sold another, and he is completing a third. George and Joan Packard, http://curiouslylocal.com ...spent a couple of hours filming and talking with Tim in early January, 2011, in his tiny house, perched on the brow of a high field on his Vermont land.
    The heart knows a hundred thousand ways to speak.
    ~ rumi

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ineffable Hitchhiker For This Post:

Dawn (11th September 2013), eileenrose (19th February 2012), Kindred (24th February 2012), Ron Mauer Sr (14th November 2012)

21. Link to Post #31
    England Avalon Member Connecting with Sauce's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 times in 354 posts

this isn't a tiny house...
    http://www.sipsmart.com/dome/arcx_36.html

But this one is approaching it...
    http://www.sipsmart.com/dome/arcx_29.html

Also as they are made with SIPS panels and are domed shaped they are ideal for shelter and areas where winds or storms may be and issue...

I like the idea of linking a couple of these together with a south facing solar green house or solar capture feature in between two gable ends like a "dumbell" weight...

SIPS are well worth investigating... SIPS build starts at about 1:30
    https://youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=5nFmaQziSbo
    John Shore

CWSauce

My new website
    www.HealingShores.com

Some testimonials of my distant healing

Some amazing threads worth checking out to get health back on track, stay balanced and thrive..

Gall Bladder AND Liver flushing
    Taking the Piss Your Own Perfect Medicine

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Connecting with Sauce For This Post:

Dawn (11th September 2013), Ron Mauer Sr (14th November 2012)

23. Link to Post #32
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 times in 436 posts

Of course, now we just need ideas of how to implement these ideas...ie if you don't own land and can't afford land, how to get land (in order to built something)?
    How to build something, if you don't have the skills/ability to build something and lack funding (for said project).
    and so on...

and thanks for the ideas. I start to become excited (as I have no housing), but then remember they are just ideas (and not results....that I can obtain). But I am glad that we keep sharing them....(don't feel sorry for me)....

If the banks own land/have the titles/and laws are written to keep people tethered to that system, ....and the rest of the population is paying high mortgages or rents, these ideas can only work for the smallest group of people (people who own land, or got permission to build on some one else's land, or are on the sea-paying rent/utilities to a dock owner/city)....and want to live simply. ...and they pretty much already have found this information. But thanks for sharing it with the rest of us. If anyone asks, I have it saved on my hard drive now.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eileenrose For This Post:

Dawn (11th September 2013), Ron Mauer Sr (14th November 2012), write4change (15th November 2012)

25. Link to Post #33
    United States Honored, Retired Member. Ron passed in October 2022.
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,257 times in 2,136 posts

A tiny house on the Kentucky River.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

Dawn (11th September 2013), GreenGuy (5th December 2013), ruthy (10th September 2013)

27. Link to Post #34
    Thanks

My girlfriend and I, along with our two Golden Retrievers, spent three weeks living aboard our small sailboat this past summer. I was very worried during the preparations that our vacation would turn into a disappointment and was quite stressed about all of the conveniences we couldn't accommodate on board. The reality turned out to be an eye opener and our enjoyment of the simplicity surprised us both. The small space (especially with the two dogs) required methodical routines that we adapted to quickly. If it weren't for the fact that the lakes here are frozen for half the year we'd gladly sell the house and live aboard full time. Our house is modest but still too complicated with "creature comforts" to be anywhere near as relaxing as the boat.

Thanks for starting this thread, Ron.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Zelig For This Post:

Dawn (11th September 2013), GreenGuy (5th December 2013), Ron Mauer Sr (31st October 2012), spiritwind (15th November 2012), write4change (15th November 2012)

29. Link to Post #35
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,608 times in 178 posts

I live in a 17X19 foot cabin I built. I live in it with a full size pitbull, my fiance and me. It has a wood stove for heat, full kitchen (sink, range, fridge). A bathroom that has a sink, composting toilet and 2 meditation cells. The meditation cells are piped to be showers one day, but I can take showers in the main house on the property, so its dedicated to meditation cells at the moment. The water system is run off of a 100 gallon fresh water tank that is in the loft with a water pump. There is also a queen size Murphy (wall bed).

At first when I had the idea, my fiance looked at me like I was insane. She did not think that this kind of space was livable and would feel like a home. After living in it for a year, she has decided that this is the way to live. We have a beautiful home and a beautiful family.

Live simply so others may simply live...

In divine friendship,
    your brother,
    -wishy

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dpwishy For This Post:

carriellbee (13th November 2013), Dawn (11th September 2013), GreenGuy (5th December 2013), Ron Mauer Sr (14th November 2012), write4change (15th November 2012), Zelig (14th November 2012)

31. Link to Post #36
    Thanks

Quote Posted by dpwishy (here)
    I live in a 17X19 foot cabin I built. I live in it with a full size pitbull, my fiance and me. It has a wood stove for heat, full kitchen (sink, range, fridge). A bathroom that has a sink, composting toilet and 2 meditation cells. The meditation cells are piped to be showers one day, but I can take showers in the main house on the property, so its dedicated to meditation cells at the moment. The water system is run off of a 100 gallon fresh water tank that is in the loft with a water pump. There is also a queen size Murphy (wall bed).

At first when I had the idea, my fiance looked at me like I was insane. She did not think that this kind of space was livable and would feel like a home. After living in it for a year, she has decided that this is the way to live. We have a beautiful home and a beautiful family.

Live simply so others may simply live...

In divine friendship,
    your brother,
    -wishy
    Sounds pretty sweet.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Zelig For This Post:

Ron Mauer Sr (14th November 2012)

33. Link to Post #37
    United States Honored, Retired Member. Ron passed in October 2022.
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,257 times in 2,136 posts

Pictures, floor plans and bathroom construction detail would be really nice additions to this thread, especially for those who are planning to construct or live in a tiny house. A tiny house really has no definition. What is important is the creative use of space.

My 621 square foot, earth sheltered house with as much passive solar input as I could manage from a south facing wall is here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	sassy-lilac-plan3.jpg
Views:	1814
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	19221
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sassy Lilac Jun2006 94.JPG
Views:	546
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	19222  
    Last edited by Ron Mauer Sr; 14th November 2012 at 17:23.

34. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

carriellbee (13th November 2013), Dawn (11th September 2013), gooty64 (15th November 2012), Ol' Roy (15th November 2012), sandy (15th November 2012), spiritwind (15th November 2012), Zelig (14th November 2012)

35. Link to Post #38
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 times in 1,310 posts

Awesome rmauersr
    Love and Light Always/Sandy

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sandy For This Post:

Ron Mauer Sr (15th November 2012), write4change (15th November 2012)

37. Link to Post #39
    Thanks

For anyone, even moderately, interested in building or living your own way...check out this publisher:

http://www.shelterpub.com/index.html

I was given their Shelter-book more then ten years ago, by a californian residing in the neighbourhood. It was so powerful it helped channel all my creative ideas about building and living. Ka-boom.

Have bought all their books since and lived and built my life.

I have lived for five years in a wooden backyard house, norwegian style, from 1880. 21m2 ( 225ft2 )in total, with my daughter, who was one year old at the time we moved in. Heating and cooking on wood, and had a tiny bit of electricity for lighting. Could do without that. No bills. Scrounging wood in the city up north here was easy. Moved out only to live in a bigger house with my girlfriend and all the kids.

Everyday is an adventure. As it should be. Anything else hurts my soul. Pinching a bit in different places every day.

Check out this site www.husly.net and http://www.bauhaus-dessau.de/index.p...008-husly_en-1

Click image for larger version

Name:	4 Husly, Generator, Trondheim 2007 0.9mb.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	19247

as they got to the 4th placement in the prestigious Bauhaus award in 2008. An international architecture award with projects from more than 125 countries.

In short it is a modular house built from pallets. Designed to be copied by people living around cities in the need of housing. It was built as a part of the Generator project and lived its life ever after. Now situated in Trondheim, Norway, as an artist residency AND being reviewed to be approved by the building code authority.
    It is a long term project, cos as the saying goes "time is money". With no money, you need time.

love, O.

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Orobo For This Post:

chocolate (12th November 2013), Dawn (11th September 2013), Ron Mauer Sr (15th November 2012)

39. Link to Post #40
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,260 times in 3,618 posts

Dear Ron,
    Your blog page is excellent!

Tony

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony For This Post:

Ron Mauer Sr (15th November 2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 10 LastLast