+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 5 10 LastLast

Thread: Tiny Houses

1. Link to Post #81
    Thanks

Default Re: Tiny Houses

@ Milneman - I have always loved Frank Lloyd Wright's work. I can only imagine the awesomeness of a Frank Lloyd Wright-created tiny house...

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carriellbee For This Post:

Eram (13th December 2013), Milneman (15th December 2013)

3. Link to Post #82
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,637 times in 2,654 posts

Just was watching George Clarke's Amazing Spaces - the Keilder project is truly stunning - but this caught my eye, as these are potentially real homes!!
    Wheat silos converted to proper housing - fantastic!
    http://scrapbook.channel4.com/bookma...b076c79f8f5730
    Well worth a look, and if you can access Channel 4's backlogue - these projects are wondrous. Keilder is so amazing that all the furniture stored in the walls! WOW!
    The love you withhold is the pain that you carry
    and er..
    "Chariots of the Globs" (apols to Fat Freddy's Cat)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to avid For This Post:

carriellbee (16th December 2013), Eram (13th December 2013)

5. Link to Post #83
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,380 times in 561 posts

We are building a tiny (well, in fact, not so tiny) house at the country side. The house is surrounded by an earth wall. On the south side we have mainly windows to welcome the sun. Here a view from our place. Great thread Ron

Last edited by skippy; 14th December 2013 at 03:56.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to skippy For This Post:

avid (13th December 2013), carriellbee (13th December 2013), Eram (13th December 2013), Milneman (14th December 2013), Ron Mauer Sr (13th December 2013)

7. Link to Post #84
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,038 times in 1,437 posts

Quote Posted by carriellbee (here)
    Zen Forest House in Oregon...

Oh my! This is so AWESOME! I watched this video a couple of days ago and cannot stop thinking about it. Yummy!!

What I like so much about his approach, is his mindset to use what is available and not has his mind fixed on ideas as to what material he uses and how the end product must look like.
    He creates with the stuff that is close to him and free for grabs.

Saves u a sh$tload of money
    hylozoic tenet: “Consciousness sleeps in the stone, dreams in the plant, awakens in the animal, and becomes self-conscious in man.”

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eram For This Post:

avid (13th December 2013), carriellbee (13th December 2013), Ron Mauer Sr (13th December 2013), skippy (13th December 2013)

9. Link to Post #85
    Thanks

Exactly! It is anti-consumerism at its finest.

Quote Posted by Eram (here)
    What I like so much about his approach, is his mindset to use what is available and not has his mind fixed on ideas as to what material he uses and how the end product must look like.
    He creates with the stuff that is close to him and free for grabs.

Saves u a sh$tload of money

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carriellbee For This Post:

Eram (13th December 2013), Milneman (14th December 2013)

11. Link to Post #86
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

or minimalism. Finally, we don't need a lot of things. I'm convinced that, with a voluntarily minimalistic, back to nature approach, we can welcome 7 billion more humans on this beautiful planet. The problem is, people like stuff..

Last edited by skippy; 14th December 2013 at 04:03.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to skippy For This Post:

carriellbee (13th December 2013), Eram (13th December 2013), Robin (14th December 2013)

13. Link to Post #87
    Thanks

I'll see your 7 billion and raise you another 3!

Quote Posted by skippy (here)
    or minimalism.. Finally, we don't need a lot of things. I'm convinced that, with a voluntarily minimalistic, back to nature approach, we can welcome 7 billion more humans on this beautiful planet.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carriellbee For This Post:

Eram (13th December 2013), skippy (13th December 2013)

15. Link to Post #88
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,038 times in 1,437 posts

Quote Posted by skippy (here)
    or simple modesty. Finally, we don't need a lot of things. I'm convinced that, with a voluntarily minimalistic, back to nature approach, we can welcome 7 billion more humans on this beautiful planet. The problem is, people like stuff..

This is a docu from a Dutch lady who put all her stuff in a large barn, all spread out on the floor to see what it would look like.

Quite sobering

It's in Dutch, but you can put on the English sub titles.
    hylozoic tenet: “Consciousness sleeps in the stone, dreams in the plant, awakens in the animal, and becomes self-conscious in man.”

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eram For This Post:

carriellbee (16th December 2013), skippy (13th December 2013)

17. Link to Post #89
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Great video Eram, and there are so many others owning 15.734 or more stuff. Soon, Christmas, time to buy some big stuff. Let's wake up some people buying some more stuff at Albert Heijn..

Last edited by skippy; 13th December 2013 at 23:02.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skippy For This Post:

Eram (14th December 2013), seehas (16th December 2013)

19. Link to Post #90
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 times in 1,408 posts

I hear ya. Oh boy do I hear ya.

Thing is?

Milenman
    Quote I'm actually keen on the idea of a tiny house because it just makes sense for me. I'm one person. I'm never going to have kids. To me, the house is important, but its all about yard...and growing things...and being a part of the place, rather than the place being part of what I own. It's the Frank Lloyd Wright in me.

Housing is way overpriced, that is for damn sure. But one way I can say buhbye to the problem is just dropping the system.

Oh size of home is definitely up to personal taste....i wouldn't mind a small house designed creatively and in balance with harmony similar to the wooded house which was very different from the thousands of dollars for a shed shoebox....

Intelligent design of harmonizing elements make a huge difference in the way someone experiences their space...their soul

Now someone can stay in a very small box like the OP showed....and im sure tweaks could be made to make it a more comfortable space...however when i looked them up they wanted between 20000 and over for these things...so its really the PRICE on any shelter that makes me wince...Big Or Small

It can be heavenly and remarkable to feel the difference in a space of intelligent design...using natural materials in unheard of ways. I mean the creativity coupled with the planets resources OMG HEAVEN.....

Its so funny really when one thinks about our entrainment about--heaven "a place somewhere else, untouchable, undeserving" until ONE DAY we realeyes that Heaven is not a mythical untouchable place thts elsewhere BUT something tht could be very real ALL AROUND EVERYONE OF US.....Ugggggggggg
    We X Billions want to change the world and it appears we are......
    PARADISE IS POSSIBLE EVERYWHERE 4 EVERYONE

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CD7 For This Post:

Eram (14th December 2013), Ivanhoe (14th December 2013), Milneman (14th December 2013)

21. Link to Post #91
    Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,498 times in 1,175 posts

@ Milneman - I have always loved Frank Lloyd Wright's work. I can only imagine the awesomeness of a Frank Lloyd Wright-created tiny house...
    I know right?

Somewhere, there's blueprints for the Lake Tahoe Summer Colony unbuilt. Google image search it. The cabins are gorgeous. Not tiny per say, but gorgeous.

I'm throwing together plans for a "usonian mini"....complete with art glass, local stone, local wood. Just a matter of pinching the pennies, but so worth it.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Quote Posted by CD7 (here)
    I hear ya. Oh boy do I hear ya.

Thing is?

Milenman
    Quote I'm actually keen on the idea of a tiny house because it just makes sense for me. I'm one person. I'm never going to have kids. To me, the house is important, but its all about yard...and growing things...and being a part of the place, rather than the place being part of what I own. It's the Frank Lloyd Wright in me.

Housing is way overpriced, that is for damn sure. But one way I can say buhbye to the problem is just dropping the system.

Oh size of home is definitely up to personal taste....i wouldn't mind a small house designed creatively and in balance with harmony similar to the wooded house which was very different from the thousands of dollars for a shed shoebox....

Intelligent design of harmonizing elements make a huge difference in the way someone experiences their space...their soul

Now someone can stay in a very small box like the OP showed....and im sure tweaks could be made to make it a more comfortable space...however when i looked them up they wanted between 20000 and over for these things...so its really the PRICE on any shelter that makes me wince...Big Or Small

It can be heavenly and remarkable to feel the difference in a space of intelligent design...using natural materials in unheard of ways. I mean the creativity coupled with the planets resources OMG HEAVEN.....

Its so funny really when one thinks about our entrainment about--heaven "a place somewhere else, untouchable, undeserving" until ONE DAY we realeyes that Heaven is not a mythical untouchable place thts elsewhere BUT something tht could be very real ALL AROUND EVERYONE OF US.....Ugggggggggg
    Run, do not walk, to your local book store and procure any literature about Frank Lloyd Wright's building philosophy. In fact, google "Usonian" homes. I think you are going to make a new friend.

22. Link to Post #92
    Thanks

Quote Run, do not walk, to your local book store and procure any literature about Frank Lloyd Wright's building philosophy. In fact, google "Usonian" homes. I think you are going to make a new friend.

Haha I am aware of F. Lloyd Wright....beautiful architecture! Yes the importance of aesthetics could not be underestimated....I myself am a bit obsessed with interior design-also exterior, but more from a functional aesthetics point of view...gosh tongue twister! As an artist, I love to create environments and have fun playing with color, light, shadow, reflection, texture, space, details---like Ive said the resources here on the earth...is a literal gold mine

Its important to note its not about "bling" and what I have, and the latest model--(most in this thread would agree I assuming)

Its more about the creation of it, the utilization of materials that have transforming effects in space---these spaces can then have a transforming effect on individuals

23. The Following User Says Thank You to CD7 For This Post:

Milneman (14th December 2013)

24. Link to Post #93
    Thanks

I had not heard the term "Usonian" before. And I enjoyed learning about the Lake Tahoe Summer Colony. Thank you so much for pointing me in that direction!

Quote Posted by Milneman (here)
    I know right?

Somewhere, there's blueprints for the Lake Tahoe Summer Colony unbuilt. Google image search it. The cabins are gorgeous. Not tiny per say, but gorgeous.

I'm throwing together plans for a "usonian mini"....complete with art glass, local stone, local wood. Just a matter of pinching the pennies, but so worth it.

25. Link to Post #94
    Deactivated
    Thanks

Carriellbee,

FLW was probably the most prolific architect of the 20th century. Let's just put it this way: you cannot look at a house in most neighbourhoods today that has been built in the last 70-80 years that hasn't been influenced by his ideas.

Broadacre City is the first, I think (?), example of a sustainable style community where everyone has a home that has enough land to produce for their needs, work is only a few miles away, community is spread over...miles and miles...instead of being congested like modern cities today are.

This man is one of my heroes.

26. Link to Post #95
    Thanks

Quote Broadacre City is the first, I think (?), example of a sustainable style community where everyone has a home that has enough land to produce for their needs, work is only a few miles away, community is spread over...miles and miles...instead of being congested like modern cities today are.

This man is one of my heroes.

I know FLW has done unique one of a kind homes that flow in balance and are beautiful....those are what im familiar with

The idea that he was apart of designing the cookie cutter communities sprawled all over US...in all honesty is not the best case scenario I could invision (<------funny invision is not considered a word) Cant have any of tht! The square box coffin like model of American neighborhoods is dreadfully limiting....

Boxes----DO WE SEE BOXES IN NATURE?-- if we do I cannot recall---- Nature is a flow....swirls, curls, circles, triangles---IT MOVES. A box house is as good as a coffin---not much life in there

Ha my 3 sense! I mean essentially we have the capability to REPLICATE nature...could we then imagine the most beautiful visions in nature tht one has ever seen---ALL OVER and YOU in it? not just as topography.....yeah thts the ticket, come on people time to move up lol

27. Link to Post #96
    Deactivated
    Thanks

And yet! If you look at just about every house on a block in any given city, you're going to see influence from his prairie school, the usonian phases of his work...they're ugly, they're monsters of wasted space with garages big enough to house an entire family, but his influence is still there....and he's in his grave rolling over and over and over and....

If we went to a truly Wright designed house, you're going to find something completely different than what exists down the road today.

Take a look at some of the usonians. It's not tiny, but it's a great example of what I'm talking about.

The Zimmerman. A masterpiece. The street-side windows are just big enough to let in light and that's about it. Everything else faces out towards the yard.

The true death of a great architect is the death that happens when in emulating the architect, his style becomes as normative as greek revival. Blech.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Milneman For This Post:

carriellbee (16th December 2013), CD7 (15th December 2013), Eram (17th December 2013)

29. Link to Post #97
    Thanks

OMG - I spent a long time composing a reply and was about ready to post when the power cut out.

Let's try this again...

Quote The idea that he was apart of designing the cookie cutter communities sprawled all over US...
    While FLW may have been the inspiration for the architects of the cookie cutter communities (CCC), he certainly was not guiding them. FLW was an artist, the landscape his pallet and pencil, paper, bricks and wood were the medium in which he worked. The architects of the CCC were not artists and they cherry-picked the least important aspects (imo) of FLW's Usonian design concept, e.g. single story, L-shape and they largely ignored the rest.

Like any self-respecting artist, FLW never mass produced anything, unlike his imitators who massed produced designs that were mere shadows of his amazingly beautiful work. Those workaday architects have left us with their abominations littering the landscape. BTW, I live in one of these.

An example of a Frank LLoyd Wright masterpiece:

An example of a poor imitation:

And finally, I am reminded of one of my all-time favorite songs, Little Boxes by Malvina Reynolds. Enjoy!

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to carriellbee For This Post:

CD7 (16th December 2013), Eram (17th December 2013), Milneman (16th December 2013), Ron Mauer Sr (12th April 2014)

31. Link to Post #98
    Deactivated
    Thanks

Hey, we totally agree!

I bet we totally agree on greek revival (blech) too.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Milneman For This Post:

carriellbee (16th December 2013), CD7 (16th December 2013)

33. Link to Post #99
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Milneman (here)
    Hey, we totally agree!

I bet we totally agree on greek revival (blech) too.
    Yes we do! I think we should all live in either trees or caves! Check these out...

The HemLoft - a secret treehouse, hiding in the woods of Whistler

Tiny treehouse cabins suspended like birdcages near Pyrenees

Airline exec builds observation tower treehouse as tiny home

Live in a cave home (I don't like the fact that this video is on the CNNMoney YT channel, but the home is so beautiful that I just had to share.)

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to carriellbee For This Post:

CD7 (16th December 2013), Eram (17th December 2013), Milneman (16th December 2013)

35. Link to Post #100
    Thanks

carrielbell thanks for setting the record straight!.... Definitely a remarkable difference between the original design and wht happened afterwards

I SO WANT TO LIVE IN A TREEHOUSE~!!!! Preferably similar to elven land in lord of the rings :D

36. The Following User Says Thank You to CD7 For This Post:

carriellbee (5th January 2014)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 5 10 LastLast