+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can anyone suggest a good supplier in the UK for emergency kits and food?

1. Link to Post #1
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,874 times in 800 posts

Default Can anyone suggest a good supplier in the UK for emergency kits and food?

Thanks in advance.

2. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,514 times in 428 posts

Default Re: Can anyone suggest a good supplier in the UK for emergency kits and food?

I never found one but i decided that it made more sense to create a self sufficiency system, learn all the local edible plants and learn to trap rabbits and the like. Knowing wild mushrooms is also a good idea, being in a city is not.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joedjemal For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (6th July 2012), RMorgan (15th December 2011)

4. Link to Post #3
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Default Re: Can anyone suggest a good supplier in the UK for emergency kits and food?

As Jo has stated, i too have never found one?
    But what i have done is had alot of practise at making my own Emergency kits for home & car.
    By doing this you do get to have an idea of whats good and whats not.
    With regards to food, well, im still just stocking up.

5. Link to Post #4
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks

magnesium flakes,iodine,baking soda, stinging nettles,dandelions,hemp seed oil,,mms, calcium hyperchlorite, first in the box, if you cant work out why,just go with the flow

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fathertedsmate For This Post:

aniN (24th August 2012), yiolas (25th December 2012)

7. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 times in 818 posts

I go to Army Surplus shops and buy Army ration packs and buy the things to make my own kits. You can look up the contents for emergency kits on-line e.g.
    Consider placing all of the following items in your 72-hour survival kit:

Portable radio, preferably one that works with dead batteries, or no batteries at all, such as one with a hand generator crank or solar cells (available through survival and surplus outlets).
    First aid kit with first aid and survival handbooks (my book covers both). I suggest a small compact first aid kit for mini Grab-And run kits and a more comprehensive first aid kit (see my book, or my web site article, First Aid Kits) for your plastic tub containing optional materials that you can toss into your car.
    Water, water purification chemicals, and/or purifying filter. Enough to provide one gallon per person per day (see Chapter 5: Water, for more information on filters and purification, or my web site article, Disinfecting Your Water). Retort (foil) pouches can handle freezing in a car trunk, but most other water containers can’t handle freezing without the potential for bursting. Three gallons per person is heavy (24 lbs), so I strongly suggest that you include a water filter and water treatment chemicals. I suggest pump type back country filters, such as those made by Katadyn or MSR, that are rated to filter out all bacteria and have a carbon core to remove toxic chemicals, bad tastes and odors. Boiling kills all bacteria and viruses but is not always an option and does nothing to remove toxic chemicals, bad tastes and odors. Also, supplement your filter(s) with purifying iodine crystals (or other chemicals), such as a “Polar Pure” water purification kit, to kill all viruses that may not be removed by filters. Pump filters that are rated for virus removal have tiny pore sizes and tend to clog quickly (a clogged filter is worthless).
    Waterproof and windproof matches in a waterproof container, and a utility-type butane (large, with extended tip) lighter.
    I also like to include a compact magnesium rod type fire starter, which is water proof and will light hundreds of fires with just a knife to scrape against the magnesium bar and its flint sparker.

Wool or pile blankets (avoid cotton) because they are warm when wet, or a sleeping bag. A heat-reflective, waterproof “space blanket” is a good emergency type item in a compact kit. Fiber-pile, mountaineering-quality sleeping bags are great, if you have the room for it (no down sleeping bags, because they are worthless if wet).
    Flashlight with spare batteries, or solar recharge flashlight. I highly recommend that you purchase a headlamp with LED bulbs. Headlamps leave your hands free to carry things or fix things. LED bulbs use a fraction of the power, are far more shock resistant, and last far longer than traditional light bulbs so your batteries last many times longer.

Candles (useful for lighting fires with damp wood) and a couple light sticks (emergency light when nothing else works or explosive gases are present).
    Toiletries, including toilet paper (store in water proof zip lock bag), toothbrush, soap, razor, shampoo, sanitary napkins (also good for severe bleeding wounds), several packs of dental floss (for tying things), sun screen, extra eyeglasses, diapers, and so on.
    Food for three days per person, minimum. Use foods you will eat, and that store well, such as nuts, sport bars, canned vegetables, fruits, meats, dry cereals, and military type preserved meals (available at surplus and survival stores). Freeze dried back packing foods are lightest, but only work if you have a stove for hot water.
    A Swiss army knife, or a stainless steel multi-tool knife (Leatherman), with scissors, can opener, blades, and screwdrivers.
    Map, compass, and whistle. When you are in a weakened state, or have a parched throat, a whistle may draw someone’s attention and save your life. In smoke or fog, a compass may be the only thing pointing you in the right direction. I like to keep my compass on a string so I can hang it around my neck for easy reference in confusing situations (darkness, fog, smoke, etc.)
    Sewing kit with extra–heavy-duty thread and at least two extra heavy duty needles. Should be strong enough to stitch a torn strap onto your backpack. A “Speedy Stitching Awl” works great for heavy duty repairs.
    Towel or dishcloth.
    Knives, forks, spoons, and so on. A camping “mess kit” is a compact set of utensils.
    Tent and/or roll of plastic sheeting for shelter.

Extra clothing, such as long underwear, hat, jacket, waterproof mittens, leather work gloves, rain coat or poncho, sturdy boots, and so on. Remember, cotton is almost worthless when wet, but wool and specialty outdoor clothing (usually polyester) wicks moisture and is warm when wet.
    Entertainment for kids and other special needs (prescription medicines, diapers, extra glasses, etc.).

50 feet of heavy duty nylon string or light rope.
    Record of bank numbers and important telephone numbers.
    Spare checks and cash. Many Katrina victims were caught without any cash.
    Reference: http://whentechfails.com/node/23
    Last edited by Mulder; 8th July 2012 at 02:49.
    “There is no coming to consciousness without pain. People will do anything, no matter how absurd, in order to avoid facing their own soul. One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious.” -- Carl Jung

"To see the farm is to leave the farm."

8. Link to Post #6
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,808 times in 2,892 posts

Buying books on herbal remedies will help as well
    Namaste-Matte

MY LATEST BOOK: "INTRUDERS UPON THE REALM"
    JOIN ME IN MY NEW ONGOING PROJECT
    My Bitchute
    My Music
    My Books
    Project: Shadowstalker

Once you get past the fear of darkness, you can find the things hidden in the shadows..

9. Link to Post #7
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

For those in the UK, i found this site:
    http://evaq8.co.uk/
    I will begin getting together my survival items in the next 2 weeks. Some of it will be from the site above. I will let you know what they are like.
    I will also post some other useful links when I get home today or at the weekend.
    I have a feeling there may only be months left before TSHTF.

10. Link to Post #8
    UK Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,768 times in 885 posts

http://emergencyfoodstorage.co.uk/

This site sells the Mountain House food packs.

11. Link to Post #9
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Does anyone know if its possible to have rechargable batteries charged using solar panels and if so, can anyone recommend links?

12. Link to Post #10
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Being prepared gets expensive!

13. Link to Post #11
    Language
    Poor english
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,972 times in 737 posts

Look here I have one and works great...
    Love. peace and Blessings to you all.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ammit For This Post:

EYES WIDE OPEN (30th August 2012)

15. Link to Post #12
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Been buying lots of rice & pasta and pasta sauce! Nice and cheap and keeps for a good 4 or 5 years. Very inexpensive way to prep!

16. Link to Post #13
    Language
    Poor english
    Thanks

Hi EWO.

If you buy the army rat packs, you get 24hrs of ration for about £15 each at the moment but it seems a rather expensive and heavy to carry supply. Each box full of goodies weighs in excess of a kilo.

I got asked a while ago by a friend to try and produce a 24hr pack which was light weight and cheap, so I did.

It is based on dry goods as we dont live in a desert and water should be quite easy to find and make potable. it is less then 450g as the picture but more could be added or changed to suit. I have tested 3x this pack for 3 days, substitute with what you can find in nature to add to it.
    [IMG][/IMG]

EDIT: Just found out from a friend that most rat packs in camping shops in my area are now between £20 - 25 each, the above picture cost around £3.50.

I also used a webtex survivapure and it worked great.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by Ammit; 27th January 2013 at 11:45. Reason: add more recent info

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Ammit For This Post:

Firinn (27th January 2013)

18. Link to Post #14
    Language
    Poor english
    Thanks

Do bear in mind that this is a basic pack and is below the minimum of 1800 calories for a man. My pack now contains 2173 calories and is still less then a kilo in weight, and is still under £8.

The oxo stock cubes are simply there to either use as a hot drink or as a base for a soup/stew if you get lucky on your trail.

Pigeon breast in beef oxo with nettles and a small amount of instant potato to thicken is actually very nice with the rice pack.
    The packs should only be made to your own taste.

19. Link to Post #15
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,999 times in 370 posts

Make you own first aid kits . Not the poxy ones you get off the BIG SHED rip off super markets . If tshtf , you'll need a good FA kits , only you know what YOU would need . Stock pile meds for your needs , female sanitary wear make excellent wounds dressings and make great tinder for fire starting. Condoms have many uses ,not just the obvious . You can use condoms for carrying water , use as a catapult . Also as storage when wet weather hit, keep your items dry . You can put over the barrel of a gun to stop water ingress. Also buy plasters on a roll ,cheap to buy and many uses .

I wouldn't buy personally the food kits , I would find the Farms that produce their on food . Find stuff you could barter gold, silver , candles or anything you would take . As Joedjemal says , learn your surroundings , buy books on hedgerow food . If for everyday carry , I would have a good pocket fold up knife .In the UK the law allows for this , make sure the blade is no longer than 3" and folds away . There are many in the market place , tip buy a good one .

Also get yourself on a bushcraft course , again there are many . Go on ones that are run by ex military , not these people who are in it for cash only . If all else fails find someone who's good at this and make good friends with them lol. As I said to my Ex wife "I don't need anymore friends ,I want someone who'll watch my back when the going gets tuff no matter what" .

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scanner For This Post:

Ammit (27th January 2013), TargeT (5th March 2019)

21. Link to Post #16
    England Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 times in 218 posts

How do you know half of it is just all fear mongering to keep you not trusting and unearthed? There is not much in the UK and I think the USA have got more means then necessary. I don't know if living in the pennines etc would be a safe place to go because you can see far distances and you are off the sea floor. I keep sensing more recently to start buying stuff and putting it in a solid good rucksack. So I can get up and go if required. I don't know what is real and not sometimes.
    I would get water filters the usual as well. Ebay is pretty decent for certain things but I'm drawn to purchases military things that are created for survival.

22. Link to Post #17
    Unsubscribed
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by EYES WIDE OPEN (here)
    Thanks in advance.
    I’m a Survivalist (Ex)
    So yes, I got you covered, best place, not the cheapest but the best
    https://www.heinnie.com/survival

Cheaper but limited
    https://www.survivaldepot.co.uk/

Bushcraft has a lot of overlap with survival, these guys are good
    https://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/

Need any help on this subject let me know, I’d be happy to help

23. Link to Post #18
    Unsubscribed
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Angels1981 (here)
    How do you know half of it is just all fear mongering to keep you not trusting and unearthed? There is not much in the UK and I think the USA have got more means then necessary. I don't know if living in the pennines etc would be a safe place to go because you can see far distances and you are off the sea floor. I keep sensing more recently to start buying stuff and putting it in a solid good rucksack. So I can get up and go if required. I don't know what is real and not sometimes.
    I would get water filters the usual as well. Ebay is pretty decent for certain things but I'm drawn to purchases military things that are created for survival.
    Mobility is your primary defence,
    Not everything military is the best, but if you need gear let me know, chances are I could help you find the best gear, or if you just need info on your INCH or BOB

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Quote Posted by Ammit (here)
    Hi EWO.

If you buy the army rat packs, you get 24hrs of ration for about £15 each at the moment but it seems a rather expensive and heavy to carry supply. Each box full of goodies weighs in excess of a kilo.

I got asked a while ago by a friend to try and produce a 24hr pack which was light weight and cheap, so I did.

It is based on dry goods as we dont live in a desert and water should be quite easy to find and make potable. it is less then 450g as the picture but more could be added or changed to suit. I have tested 3x this pack for 3 days, substitute with what you can find in nature to add to it.
    [IMG][/IMG]

EDIT: Just found out from a friend that most rat packs in camping shops in my area are now between £20 - 25 each, the above picture cost around £3.50.

I also used a webtex survivapure and it worked great.

Hope this helps
    You will always need to find water, so the dehydrated option is good (you can pack a lot weighs little,
    That being said, the king of survival food is peanut butter, I kid you not,

24. Link to Post #19
    Unsubscribed
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by EYES WIDE OPEN (here)
    Does anyone know if its possible to have rechargable batteries charged using solar panels and if so, can anyone recommend links?
    Yes, they can, but I wouldn’t recommend it, panels can be divas in the field, not reliable due to weather and time of year geolocation etc,
    Best Buy a https://uk.bioliteenergy.com/products/campstove-2

+ Reply to Thread