Thread: Mental Illness

1. Link to Post #41
    United States Avalon Member Goldenserenity's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Default Re: Mental Illness

Quote Posted by celine (here)
    There are many reasons why people develop mental health and substance use problems:
    True Ammit, there are many reasons.

I myself have worked with people (for at least 10 years of my career) who have had mental health issues, drug and alcohol issues, Alzheimer's and Dementia. The remaining 11 years were with "normal" people. Many of the normal people displayed some of the same characteristics of the "mentally unbalanced" people.

Sometimes though I wonder if some of the mental health issues could be resolved by a person just by changing their thoughts. I know...easier said than done! it wouldn't be an overnight thing, but a process. Lets use an example, and to be nice and not pick on anybody, I will use myself as the example. Say I had some awful teenage years at home with my parents, and from that experience I made some bad choices and went in and out of bad relationships experiencing mental abuse, and physical abuse, and when I finally get myself out of those awful times, I get attacked, choked and raped by some dude. Bad example maybe, but life could be like that for someone. Now, to have many experiences like that in 1 lifetime, one would think that those experiences could lead to a mental disorder and possibly some addictive behaviors. This persons past could lead them in and out of mental institutes for years! And maybe even substance abuse treatment centers as those two can go hand in hand. (Bad experiences in life...cover up with drugs and alcohol to help the self forget those experiences)
    So, some could argue that those experiences caused the mental illness and substance abuse issues, but I feel that if a person changes their perspective of the past, and let go of whatever happened to them, that they could get past the so called illness. It's when people choose to hang onto the past issues that they are haunted by them on a day to day basis. Hanging onto a past like that could make anybody feel crazy! So, as mentioned above by someone, forgiveness is in order, not just of the self, but of the offender as well!

Another thing I wonder about is entities. I'm not sure if anybody believes in a person being attacked by entities. (I do!) Some people have one or multiple entities connected to them which I feel could cause a mental illness like issue.

I dunno...I could think of other things that could cause mental like illnesses, but I'll stop for now as I'm not sure how this post will go over with people.

2. Link to Post #42
    Thanks

I put in a solid decade as Care Giver to Adults with TBI aka ABI. And as well some of my Clients had organic mental illness sans Trauma.
    What some people are trying to learn about this field I am trying to forget. Meaning I have seen it all.
    I was, Muscle Head - Cook - Counsel - Med Man - Wiper. I wont go into details about the similarities or combinations of Brain Injury vs Mental Illness. I will say I believe I have seen how bad it can get. (Level 4i facility) , I can assure you the Clients were treated with kindness and respect.

I could talk for hours on this subject, I think the one thing I would like to say is that for a Pro to function in such an environment, He or She must remain detached. If a worker assumes the suffering , anger, confusion, etc of the Clients they will not last long. That may account for some of the Nurse Ratchet type characters portrayed in the movies.

Compassionate Detachment

When someone loses their legs, People make allowances because they can see the legless person may be slower or may need assistance.
    When someone has trouble intergrading info they get no such allowances because others can't see the cause.

To those who suffer, and can manage independent living or even simi independent living , my hat is off to you.
    I would say, continue to take your meds, talk to your shrink, and take a deep breath. There are none of us perfect.
    And People do Care.
    Perception is Everything

3. Link to Post #43
    Thanks

Wink Re: Mental Illness

Goldenserenity you are absolutely right, my mother suffer from mental depression, and sought psychiatric help for years. As a young boy I read self help books in order to help my mom snap out of her mental depression. I found from visiting these mental health institutions of that time in the early 70s that they kept these people drug and in a severe dazed, my mom could hardly recognize me, and she could barely speak while under the influence of these type of medications. I decided to take my mom home and help her to recuperate from her depression. Is been over 30 years since my mom recuperated and may I add it had nothing to do with Psychiatric help. She like you said change her way of thinking that itself produce the inner power within herself to snap out of it.

Since the 70s unfortunately not much has change in psychiatric treatments in general, my ex wife works in a local mental health hospital and what you see is people drooling on the floor totally out of it. I asked my ex wife what was the success rate as far as the recovery of these mental health patients , she answer, "2 % at best".

Lets be totally honest we are all suffering from some form of mental health or another, psychiatrist , psychologist, social workers included . No offense to anyone since I have many friends that worked within these fields and we have candid personal conversations.

What is the solution ? Goldenserenity from my experience you hit the nail in the head, the answers to many of our mental health issues and recovery are within us, the way we think, feel, speak. Drugs only worsen the problem, if you don't believe me visit a local mental health hospital and you'll be shocked to see patients totally out of it, on antidepressant drugs so strong that they lay on the floor drooling all over themselves.
    We have the inner power of the heart to re transform our lives and in essence help ourselves, family and friends to recuperate from many of the things that afflict us .

Many many blessings to all.

4. Link to Post #44
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Dougall (here)
    I think the one thing I would like to say is that for a Pro to function in such an environment, He or She must remain detached. If a worker assumes the suffering , anger, confusion, etc of the Clients they will not last long. That may account for some of the Nurse Ratchet type characters portrayed in the movies

That may account for some of the Nurse Ratchet type characters portrayed in the movies.
    I never detached from my patients! Most of the patients there needed someone who appeared strong, able to manage their own issues yet capable of showing themself human as well as caring and compassionate. I would sit and listen to them on the 1:1 communications, but I never allowed their issues and problems to become my own. Kind of like when a person goes to work, they hang their problems and issues on the rack outside of the workplace, then collect them again when they leave? Same thing when you leave work. You hang everybody's problems and issues on the rack and not take them home with you.

A nurse Ratchet comes onto the scene because they don't wish to be there. They are in it for the money, so they lack compassion and the caring nature a nurse should portray.

5. Link to Post #45
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,860 times in 11,838 posts

Having suffered from Alcoholism and being sober now for over 30 years through the twelve step program of AA.
    I have seen many hopeless cases become more sane than normal people-- smiling.
    The AA program had been modified for use with other mental illnesses ad found to be of great help.
    in simplicity first there has to be an acceptance of an inability to solve the problem one self, to realize that a Higher power can restore oneself to sanity.
    The Higher Power may be the Power of unconditional love expressed through the recovery group. Certainly that is very effective.
    I think the main cause of some mental illness is a feeling of being unloved unwanted not deserving of love, totally alone.
    Sometimes this causes attention seeking and this is an unconscious desire to be noticed at any cost, a child can quickly learn it gets more attention through miss behaving than through good behavior. That can set a pattern for being dysfunctional in the eyes of society.
    AA teaches through example unconditional love and personal experience better coping mechanisms.
    Because people in the group have been there done it recovered and share their experiences, the newcomer will listen when they wont listen to Dr--- spouse, clergy, probation officer, social worker. Then there is the possibility of change and hence recovery of millions of former sufferers.
    Unconditional love is the necessary ingredient, faith in a loving God tends to follow.
    Chris
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

6. Link to Post #46
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by frank samuel (here)
    Goldenserenity you are absolutely right, my mother suffer from mental depression, and sought psychiatric help for years. As a young boy I read self help books in order to help my mom snap out of her mental depression. I found from visiting these mental health institutions of that time in the early 70s that they kept these people drug and in a severe dazed, my mom could hardly recognize me, and she could barely speak while under the influence of these type of medications. I decided to take my mom home and help her to recuperate from her depression. Is been over 30 years since my mom recuperated and may I add it had nothing to do with Psychiatric help. She like you said change her way of thinking that itself produce the inner power within herself to snap out of it.

Since the 70s unfortunately not much has change in psychiatric treatments in general, my ex wife works in a local mental health hospital and what you see is people drooling on the floor totally out of it. I asked my ex wife what was the success rate as far as the recovery of these mental health patients , she answer, "2 % at best".

Lets be totally honest we are all suffering from some form of mental health or another, psychiatrist , psychologist, social workers included . No offense to anyone since I have many friends that worked within these fields and we have candid personal conversations.

What is the solution ? Goldenserenity from my experience you hit the nail in the head, the answers to many of our mental health issues and recovery are within us, the way we think, feel, speak. Drugs only worsen the problem, if you don't believe me visit a local mental health hospital and you'll be shocked to see patients totally out of it, on antidepressant drugs so strong that they lay on the floor drooling all over themselves.
    We have the inner power of the heart to re transform our lives and in essence help ourselves, family and friends to recuperate from many of the things that afflict us .

Many many blessings to all.
    I agree with you Frank on the medications keeping people heavily medicated. I remember once when I went to the doctor complaining of a headache back in the early 90's...I left his office with a prescription for Prozac as the doctor felt that the headache was caused by stress which was caused from depression. I was nice to the dr. and took the stupid prescription, but never filled it at the pharmacy. I just didn't feel like I had any depression.

The joke where i worked that was floating around by the patients was...what's the difference between the patients and the staff? The staff hold the keys to get out of the unit they would say.

7. Link to Post #47
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Goldenserenity (here)
    I never detached from my patients! Most of the patients there needed someone who appeared strong, able to manage their own issues yet capable of showing themself human as well as caring and compassionate. I would sit and listen to them on the 1:1 communications, but I never allowed their issues and problems to become my own. Kind of like when a person goes to work, they hang their problems and issues on the rack outside of the workplace, then collect them again when they leave? Same thing when you leave work. You hang everybody's problems and issues on the rack and not take them home with you.

A nurse Ratchet comes onto the scene because they don't wish to be there. They are in it for the money, so they lack compassion and the caring nature a nurse should portray.
    I agree with you Doctor, and clearly you are on the clinical side of things. I like your style, and just want to add that I no longer work in that field. I was on the direct delivery side of things.
    We were not allowed to use chemical restraints or any other restraints.
    If a Client 'went off' we would use control until the client could resume control of himself.
    I have been bitten really badly more than two or three times. I have been slapped, kicked punched, and scratched, like you wouldn't believe. I have been cussed and spit on katie bar the door too wet to plow.
    I never held a grudge or slapped back, never slighted a client so much as a corn chip.
    Thats what I mean by detached.
    Perception is Everything

8. Link to Post #48
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,831 times in 304 posts

Hi All,
    Just want to sincerely commend you guys on these last number of posts! It's wonderful to see so
    much compassion, empathy, love and respect given to others. My hats off to you guys! (pink ball cap)
    and a big Thank You...
    caren

9. Link to Post #49
    United States Avalon Member Heartsong's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 times in 498 posts

Just for balance in this conversation, I want to say that it's medication and therapy that kept me out of a mental institution. I'm still on medication and will be forever. I don't go around heavily sedated. No body except my best friends know I'm on it.
    Heartsong

10. Link to Post #50
    illuminate

Quote Posted by Heartsong (here)
    Just for balance in this conversation, I want to say that it's medication and therapy that kept me out of a mental institution. I'm still on medication and will be forever. I don't go around heavily sedated. No body except my best friends know I'm on it.
    Heartsong
    I just wanted to say that I was on meds for eight years...
    Effexor for depression, anxiety, panic disorder and PSTD... and it saved my life.
    There is nothing wrong with doing whatever it takes to be the best you can be.
    Many blessings to you Heartsong!!!

With Love!!

11. Link to Post #51
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by illuminate (here)
    Effexor for depression, anxiety, panic disorder and PSTD... and it saved my life.

With Love!!
    Well done illuminate, I think you will find many have suffered and are suffering on this forum
    love and light
    blue

12. Link to Post #52
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Dougall (here)
    I agree with you Doctor,

I'm not a doctor, I'm a nurse, and I too worked with direct patient care. We did not restrain any patients either. I believe the state stepped in saying that a person is allowed to act in any way they choose. It's their "right"

13. Link to Post #53
    England Avalon Member SPIRIT WOLF's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,739 times in 919 posts

Since diagnosed with PTSD in February of 1980, after I was brought back home away from the nightmares of the facility, I've been on various meds ever since, for acute pain, system stabilisers and depression. I still have PTSD stamped on all my med files. Its never gonna go away.
    TRUTH,JUSTICE,FREEDOM
    PROUD TO BE OLD FASHIONED,OLD SCHOOL, OLD GUARD
    Sauviter in Modo Fortiter in Re

14. Link to Post #54
    Netherlands Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,169 times in 405 posts

Quote Posted by SPIRIT WOLF (here)
    Since diagnosed with PTSD in February of 1980, after I was brought back home away from the nightmares of the facility, I've been on various meds ever since, for acute pain, system stabilisers and depression. I still have PTSD stamped on all my med files. Its never gonna go away.
    What is PTSD.......?

Post Traumatical Stress Disorder...??
    Last edited by Swami; 26th July 2010 at 17:24.

15. Link to Post #55
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,860 times in 11,838 posts

Whatever works Illuminate my friend.
    Love chris
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

16. Link to Post #56
    illuminate

Hello again... I just wanted to add to my last post on this thread...

I've suffered depression since birth then the panic disorder came about after having done too much LSD in high school resulting in a very bad trip.... then the panic continued to worsen through my twenties resulting in much alcohol abuse and smoking more pot than a Rastafarian

It was in my thirties, when I watched 911 from the street below that put me ass-over-tea-kettle into a deeper depression, anxiety and then post traumatic stress order (which is what will happen when you watch people jump to their deaths from a very tall building!) This all compounded to the point of being so unbearable I literally could NOT get out of bed, or feed myself or my pets... that's when a dear friend came and dragged me to a doctor and they immediately put me on Effexor. I had fought meds my whole life, but let me tell you, in one day I started to feel better and within a week I was eating and able to get out of bed.... this is why I said that the meds saved my life. I wanted to die! Then a few days on pills and I wanted to live. I needed a crutch and this happened to be it.

I was told I would have to be on these meds for the rest of my life! That, just like how someone who regulates their blood pressure with pills, I would have to balance the chemicals in my brain with meds. And for the next eight years, this was true.

What I wanted to add is that I was able to get off the pills and BEAT the depression, anxiety, panic and PTSD...
    how you may ask?

Self LOVE, proper diet and nutrition, meditation and did I mention LOVE
    There are a lot of natural remedies to help too like Valerian and Kava Kava and St. John's Wart.
    Getting off the pills was NOT an easy task (that topic would take another thread!)
    But I did it and I have never felt better in my entire life. I am 39 going on 18 and I love myself as much as I love each and everyone of you!

With Love!!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to illuminate For This Post:

pickle (1st March 2011)

18. Link to Post #57
    Thanks

Do you have mercury/amalgan fillings in your teeth illuminate....?

19. Link to Post #58
    Canada Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,251 times in 962 posts

YAY LOVE!!!!

that is great to hear/read Illuminate.

It is hard for me to explain sometimes what i mean by Love.. the word has been so distorted.

i am glad for everyone sharring experiences here...it has create a world of positive support and information for many.

Thank you

Here's to living , In Love!

20. Link to Post #59
    illuminate

Quote Posted by Swami (here)
    Do you have mercury/amalgan fillings in your teeth illuminate....?
    unfortunately... !!!!!

I want them OUT... but it is not so easy!
    I do know for a fact this is quite a problem for me!!
    Can you take them out for me PLEASE

With Love!

21. Link to Post #60
    Thanks

unfortunately... !!!!!

I want them OUT... but it is not so easy!
    I do know for a fact this is quite a problem for me!!
    Can you take them out for me PLEASE

With Love!
    Same problem overhere.......

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 3 7 LastLast