+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1 3 13 28 LastLast

Thread: The gut of most disease... NOT what you think!

1. Link to Post #41
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,209 times in 1,149 posts

Default Re: The root of most disease... NOT what you think!

Wow Dennis, that IS expensive! OMG! You can make your own Rejuvilac and ginger bug for pennies... perhaps that is an answer for you if you wish to remain vegan. I used to be vegan, but feel much better with some cultured dairy, eggs, and seafood in my diet.

Rejuvilac just requires some grain. Although rye and wheat are most commonly used, almost any grain can be used this way. You don't need a starter culture because the correct one is already coating their seeds. I am using the sprouted recipe here currently: https://youtube.com/watch?v=e27viliFtms

Ginger bug is another probiotic drink that I have 'cooking' in my pantry. This relies on capturing 'wild' flora and fauna in a ginger water to make a very healthy probiotic without a commercial starter. Here's a recipe for this: http://www.holistickid.com/how-to-make-a-ginger-bug/

Apparently the 'good guy' flora and fauna is used by almost all plants to protect themselves from pathogens. That is why cabbage makes perfect sauerkraut without a starter culture, and most veges will ferment the same way (though cabbage is the easiest). The varieties of lactobacillus acidophillus out there in the world are busy coating everything and protecting it so that it can remain healthy. I suddenly realized just a couple of days ago that overhead watering with chlorinated water takes a lot of the natural protection off my vegetaqble leaves. And watering the soil with my city water is not good for soil bacteria either. (my water is chlorinated). So we are putting together a filtration system for our vegetable garden to supplement the water structuring we do with magnets. Understanding the world, in light of protecting my healthy companions, changes a lot about how I am seeing things.
    Last edited by Dawn; 12th April 2012 at 02:51.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Dawn For This Post:

conk (12th April 2012), Debra (12th April 2012), Dennis Leahy (12th April 2012), DoubleHelix (21st September 2012), Limor Wolf (18th October 2012), Rainbowbrite (17th April 2012), Reirrac (12th April 2012), RunningDeer (13th March 2013), seko (29th April 2012), Swanette (29th April 2012), The Truth Is In There (16th April 2012)

3. Link to Post #42
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,583 times in 5,817 posts

Quote Posted by Dawn (here)
    ... This relies on capturing 'wild' flora and fauna ...
    I have heard of that concept with breadmaking (or maybe it was sourdough?) - capturing the wild spores from the outdoor air. Gawd, I feel like such a 'city kid' at times, even though I grew up as a 'country kid.' All of the folk-lore, the home-spun wisdom that can only be gathered by hanging out with folk that are steeped in the traditions.

Dennis

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

Alekahn (23rd April 2012), Dawn (3rd May 2012), Debra (12th April 2012), DeDukshyn (12th April 2012), Swanette (29th April 2012)

5. Link to Post #43
    Thanks

Hey Dennis, you answered me while I was researching for you. How about Almond Milk Kefer? Turns out it is better for implantation than yogurt anyway. And the taste is very similar. I did not realize that the 'right strains' would be self perpetuating and there would be no need to re-implant them. This link is excellent ... for information about kefer:

http://www.rebeccawood.com/food-as-medicine/kefir/

I didn't realize that living kefir grains are the way to go here, and nothing else is true kefir. So the kefir I've been culturing, using a 'starter colony' from store kefir as a base is not the health benefit that REAL kefir is. Apparently the FDA makes companies pasteurize everything to kill the bacteria, and only allows them to inject a few strains back in. Well, no matter, there are places to buy the 'real' original live culture grains.. which last a lifetime. I just bought some from a local person in my community offering them on Craigslist. She got hers from ebay. They smell totally different than the fake kefir I've been culturing from the store bought stuff and I am starting them tonight. She gave me a link to some amazing info about Kefir. (wow! I had no idea!)

http://www.orhaolam.com/uploads/KefirInShort.pdf
    Last edited by Dawn; 12th April 2012 at 17:50.

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Dawn For This Post:

CdnSirian (13th April 2012), conk (12th April 2012), Dennis Leahy (12th April 2012), DoubleHelix (21st September 2012), kanishk (9th July 2012), Limor Wolf (18th October 2012), Rainbowbrite (17th April 2012), RunningDeer (13th March 2013), Swanette (29th April 2012)

7. Link to Post #44
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,583 times in 5,817 posts

Hey Dennis, you answered me while I was researching for you. How about Almond Milk Kefer? Turns out it is better for implantation than yogurt anyway. And the taste is very similar. I did not realize that the 'right strains' would be self perpetuating and there would be no need to re-implant them. This link is excellent ... for information about kefer:

http://www.rebeccawood.com/food-as-medicine/kefir/
    From the website link: "kefir made from almond or coconut milk is a sensory treat." I'm all over this! Thanks, Dawn!

Dennis

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

CdnSirian (13th April 2012), Dawn (3rd May 2012), DoubleHelix (23rd September 2012), Limor Wolf (18th October 2012), Swanette (29th April 2012)

9. Link to Post #45
    England Avalon Member Connecting with Sauce's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 times in 354 posts

One might almost think that the food industry, the medical industry, and the educational system have deliberately led us astray so we would not see what is really happening here. (LOL)
    I am sure 'they' know what they are doing... All this info is known to them, they have royal dairies and organic farms etc...

Now this was the show about Kefir's worth a listen.
    http://www.oneradionetwork.com/diet-...lady-09-28-09/

We also make fermented apple cyder vinegar which if done correctly has mother within it. The first batch took ~6 weeks to create the mother naturally... then this is used to produce ACV in ~1-2 weeks using the mother and by just juicing apples.

I think jucing has a part within cleansing especially green juices as these are very low in sugars and too many juices of fruits will mean fructose without the fibre and this isn't too good for the liver (bitter truth sugar video).

This is another UK Dr worth investigating http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/
    http://www.oneradionetwork.com/healt...nuary-23-2012/

I think gut health is a key part of the puzzle to great health.

I'm so lucky to have a Russian wife who was fortunate enough to have this practical knowledge from their village. I keep telling her to document it and sell some of our spare kefir grains on ebay with a how to guide...
    John Shore

CWSauce

My new website
    www.HealingShores.com

Some testimonials of my distant healing

Some amazing threads worth checking out to get health back on track, stay balanced and thrive..

Gall Bladder AND Liver flushing
    Taking the Piss Your Own Perfect Medicine

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Connecting with Sauce For This Post:

Dawn (21st September 2013), DoubleHelix (23rd September 2012), Limor Wolf (18th October 2012), Rainbowbrite (7th May 2012), Swanette (29th April 2012)

11. Link to Post #46
    Thanks

Connecting with Sauce (I LOVE your online name, by the way), thank you for taking the time to add your above post. I spent some time listening to the 2 interviews you referenced tonight. I found it interesting, and frustrating to listen to Dr. MyHill's interview because, in light of the information presented in this thread, she has her understanding backwards in many cases.

In reading the GAPS information the key, that has been creating the deep healing of incurable diseases such as Autism and schizophrenia, is a healthy Gut flora and fauna. With this understanding as a basis, all allergies disappear along with arthritis and many other diseases, which have become prevalent since the advent of modern antibiotics, refrigeration, chlorinated water, and factory fresh foods.

Dr MyHill espouses an opposite understanding. It is her belief that food allergies CAUSE leaky gut... not that a damaged gut flora has allowed pathogens to grow and form in the lining of the gut, which then create poisons that enter the body. With Dr. MyHill's approach, everything depends on allergy testing and restricting the diet of her cliients. As she speaks, her information is complicated and difficult to follow. Her clients are dependent on her tests and so on to find out what is wrong with them and what to avoid eating. This is, in my opinion, an outdated viewpoint which has been shown to be faulty in light of the discoveries noted in the GAPS information presented on this thread.

With Dr. MyHills approach people are dependent on never eating the foods they are allergic to again. They are also dependent on vitamin B12 shots, and adding acid to their stomachs in order to digest their food. She mentions the danger of fermenting food in an upper GI tract which 'should be sterile'. She also recommends using a nebulizer, so that minerals and nutrition can be absorbed through the lungs. She has no understanding that allergies are caused by an imbalance in gut flora/fauna or that lack of nutrition is directly due to an absence of friendly micro-organisms.

With the GAPS diet the 'cure' is permanent. There is no need for food supplementation, because the restoration of the gut flora and fauna takes care of the issue by manufacturing these supplements for their host. No leaky gut occurs after the first 2-3 months on the GAPS program, because enough of the gut lining has been restored during that time to 'seal the digestive' system and protect the body from toxins and pathogenic organisms in the gut. After approximately 2 years all food allergies disappear as vitality and health are fully restored. The client can then return to a diet that is healthy and unrestricted (but not to the modern diet filled with chemicals which are poisonous like most processed foods)

The GAPS program is truly based on information which goes against many of the modern understandings of health. However, the proof that it is real is in the results obtained with it.

Frankly, I have been very surprised at the level of resistance by many people posting on this thread to this new information. Further, I am aware that many people posting here did not even bother to listen to the information in the starting post of this thread. This is sad, however all I can do is lay the information out for all to read... I cannot make anyone take the time to understand it.

In your case, Connecting to Sauce, I know you are aware of the value of the GAPS information, at least in part. You are very lucky to have a wife who is familiar with the 'old country ways' and who has brought into your home living foods. Thank your for sharing these links.
    Last edited by Dawn; 13th April 2012 at 07:40.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dawn For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (13th April 2012), DoubleHelix (23rd September 2012), joamarks (11th November 2012), Limor Wolf (18th October 2012), Rainbowbrite (7th May 2012), RunningDeer (13th March 2013), Swanette (29th April 2012)

13. Link to Post #47
    Thanks

Hi Dawn,

Thanks for them links. I've been living in Korea for almost 4 years now so I was very interested to hear Dr. Mercola talking about the basis of all fermented veggies being cabbage. As you know, Koreans eat 'Kim Chi' every day, and its served as a side dish with every meal - breakfast, lunch and dinner. In the time i've been living here i've never once actually received a good explanation from a Korean as to why exactly kim chi is considered to be so beneficial.

Kawmapsuhmneedah for the info!
    Last edited by David Hughes; 7th August 2018 at 10:16.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to David Hughes For This Post:

Dawn (13th April 2012), DoubleHelix (23rd September 2012), Limor Wolf (18th October 2012), Swanette (29th April 2012)

15. Link to Post #48
    India Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,533 times in 475 posts

PS: I have taken rounds of every single herb mentioned in the above post. They caused die off, however they did not address the underlying issues. In fact many of them made the problem worse because they acted as natural antibiotics and further killed off gut organisms, both bad and good. In this way my problem became worse over my lifetime.
    Similarly like natural antibiotics does MMS can also kill gut flora??

Because both good and bad gut organisms are anaerobic. And according to Jim Humble MMS kill anaerobic bacteria and viruses.

As well as i want to know weather it is good to use probiotics available in pharmaceutical stores?
    Last edited by kanishk; 13th April 2012 at 10:00.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kanishk For This Post:

Dawn (13th April 2012), Limor Wolf (18th October 2012)

17. Link to Post #49
    England Avalon Member Connecting with Sauce's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 times in 354 posts

Connecting with Sauce (I LOVE your online name, by the way), thank you for taking the time to add your above post. I spent some time listening to the 2 interviews you referenced tonight. I found it interesting, and frustrating to listen to Dr. MyHill's interview because, in light of the information presented in this thread, she has her understanding backwards in many cases.

In reading the GAPS information the key, that has been creating the deep healing of incurable diseases such as Autism and schizophrenia, is a healthy Gut flora and fauna. With this understanding as a basis, all allergies disappear along with arthritis and many other diseases, which have become prevalent since the advent of modern antibiotics, refrigeration, chlorinated water, and factory fresh foods.

Dr MyHill espouses an opposite understanding. It is her belief that food allergies CAUSE leaky gut... not that a damaged gut flora has allowed pathogens to grow and form in the lining of the gut, which then create poisons that enter the body. With Dr. MyHill's approach, everything depends on allergy testing and restricting the diet of her cliients. As she speaks, her information is complicated and difficult to follow. Her clients are dependent on her tests and so on to find out what is wrong with them and what to avoid eating. This is, in my opinion, an outdated viewpoint which has been shown to be faulty in light of the discoveries noted in the GAPS information presented on this thread.

With Dr. MyHills approach people are dependent on never eating the foods they are allergic to again. They are also dependent on vitamin B12 shots, and adding acid to their stomachs in order to digest their food. She mentions the danger of fermenting food in an upper GI tract which 'should be sterile'. She also recommends using a nebulizer, so that minerals and nutrition can be absorbed through the lungs. She has no understanding that allergies are caused by an imbalance in gut flora/fauna or that lack of nutrition is directly due to an absence of friendly micro-organisms.

With the GAPS diet the 'cure' is permanent. There is no need for food supplementation, because the restoration of the gut flora and fauna takes care of the issue by manufacturing these supplements for their host. No leaky gut occurs after the first 2-3 months on the GAPS program, because enough of the gut lining has been restored during that time to 'seal the digestive' system and protect the body from toxins and pathogenic organisms in the gut. After approximately 2 years all food allergies disappear as vitality and health are fully restored. The client can then return to a diet that is healthy and unrestricted (but not to the modern diet filled with chemicals which are poisonous like most processed foods)

The GAPS program is truly based on information which goes against many of the modern understandings of health. However, the proof that it is real is in the results obtained with it.

Frankly, I have been very surprised at the level of resistance by many people posting on this thread to this new information. Further, I am aware that many people posting here did not even bother to listen to the information in the starting post of this thread. This is sad, however all I can do is lay the information out for all to read... I cannot make anyone take the time to understand it.

In your case, Connecting to Sauce, I know you are aware of the value of the GAPS information, at least in part. You are very lucky to have a wife who is familiar with the 'old country ways' and who has brought into your home living foods. Thank your for sharing these links.
    Hi Dawn,
    Thanks for correcting me I am very lucky you are right. I will listen again to the posts above regarding GAPS. Is the book worth getting then you think or are just the links above worth listening to again. It was a few months ago I heard N. CMcB on www.oneradionetwork.com. I know what your answer is already... I have so many unread books though...

Quote Posted by kanishk (here)
    PS: I have taken rounds of every single herb mentioned in the above post. They caused die off, however they did not address the underlying issues. In fact many of them made the problem worse because they acted as natural antibiotics and further killed off gut organisms, both bad and good. In this way my problem became worse over my lifetime.
    Similarly like natural antibiotics does MMS can also kill gut flora??

Because both good and bad gut organisms are anaerobic. And according to Jim Humble MMS kill anaerobic bacteria and viruses.

As well as i want to know weather it is good to use probiotics available in pharmaceutical stores?
    Kanish,
    My understanding is that yes MMS will cause gut die off... and I assume also natural anti-biotics will too to some extent... like garlic etc.

At the amazing health talk on Tuesday adding the probiotics (the best you can afford) to the fermented cabbage/veggies will grow new ones and strengthen the power of the capsules.

I will recommend one of my clients listen to this info as I know it will be of benefit to them.

Thanks all, especially Dawn.
    Last edited by Connecting with Sauce; 13th April 2012 at 13:03.
    John Shore

CWSauce

My new website
    www.HealingShores.com

Some testimonials of my distant healing

Some amazing threads worth checking out to get health back on track, stay balanced and thrive..

Gall Bladder AND Liver flushing
    Taking the Piss Your Own Perfect Medicine

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Connecting with Sauce For This Post:

Dawn (13th April 2012), DoubleHelix (23rd September 2012), kanishk (4th July 2012), Limor Wolf (18th October 2012), Swanette (29th April 2012)

19. Link to Post #50
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,145 times in 2,998 posts

From Dr. David Williams' newsletter Alternatives:

There are four important health benefits of traditional fermented foods that clearly explain why they are so crucial to optimal digestive health:

Benefit #1: Traditional fermented foods help balance the production of stomach acid. Fermented foods have the unique ability to ease digestive discomfort related to having either too much or too little stomach acid. When the production of hydrochloric acid by the stomach is low, fermented foods help increase the acidity of gastric juices. On the other hand, when the stomach produces too much acid, fermented foods help protect the stomach and intestinal lining.

As we age, our production of the digestive juices and enzymes required for proper digestion begin to decrease. Eating foods like sauerkraut, buttermilk, and pickled vegetables can help make up for this loss. The key is to eat a small portion of traditional fermented foods on a very regular basis. Once or twice daily with meals is best.

Benefit #2: Traditional fermented foods help the body produce acetylcholine. Acetylcholine is a neurotransmitter. In simple terms, it facilitates the transmission of nerve impulses. In practical terms, it helps increase the movement of the bowel, and can alleviate constipation problems. It also helps improve the release of digestive juices and enzymes from the stomach, the pancreas, and the gallbladder. So by helping your body produce acetylcholine, fermented foods act as potent digestive aids.

Benefit #3: Traditional fermented foods are beneficial for people with diabetes. In addition to improving pancreatic function, which is of great benefit to diabetics, the carbohydrates in lactic acid–fermented foods have been broken down or "pre-digested." As a result, they do not place an extra burden on the pancreas, unlike ordinary carbohydrates.

Benefit #4: Traditional fermented foods produce numerous unknown compounds that destroy and inhibit the growth of pathogenic bacteria. Many pathogenic forms of bacteria are sensitive to acidic environments. This is true of both cholera and typhoid. In the early 1950s, during an epidemic of typhoid fever in Europe, reports emerged showing that fresh sauerkraut was an effective agent for killing the bacteria. More recently, German scientists were working with a strain of lactic acid bacteria found in sourdough bread, and discovered that it seemed to be more effective than other strains at killing microbes. In early lab results, it quickly eliminated the super-bugs currently resistant to most antibiotics.

The concept of using naturally occurring "bugs" to eliminate harmful bacteria is an idea that seems to be finally catching on in the scientific community, although it's still baffling to me why conventional medicine hasn't been able to fully grasp or accept this concept. Obviously, the pharmaceutical companies stand to make a lot more money selling antibiotics and other medications than recommending a daily dose of fermented cabbage.

Also, from Dr. Williams:

The Rise in Allergies and
    Asthma
    Our society has also seen a
    tremendous increase in asthma
    and all types of airborne and
    contact allergies. These problems
    are becoming more and more
    prevalent in childhood and now
    continue into adulthood. A large
    percentage of young adults suffer
    from chronic rhinitis, postnasal
    drip, sinus congestion, bronchitis,
    etc. Previously these only
    rarely occurred in some children,
    and most outgrew them as their
    immune systems adapted. That
    is no longer the case since their
    bacterial landscape has been
    permanently altered.
    Even most doctors don’t
    understand that our nasal cavity
    has its own specific population
    of bacterial flora. The nasal and
    oral cavities are the gateways to
    the lungs. Until recently, it was
    believed that the lower airways
    were actually sterile, but that’s
    not the case. British scientists
    at Imperial College in London,
    have just revealed that our lungs
    are loaded with various forms of
    bacteria. Several seem to be overabundant
    in asthma patients. And,
    it’s not too surprising to learn it
    was these exact same species of
    bacteria that have been cultured
    from throat swabs taken from
    asthma-prone babies. triggering additional attacks from
    the immune system.
    All of this can very often be
    linked back to dysbacteriosis. The
    bacterial flora of the colon, as I’ve
    detailed in the past, is the body’s
    second immune system.

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

Alekahn (23rd April 2012), Dawn (13th April 2012), DoubleHelix (23rd September 2012), Limor Wolf (18th October 2012), Marianne (13th April 2012), Rainbowbrite (19th April 2012), RunningDeer (13th March 2013), Swanette (23rd September 2012)

21. Link to Post #51
    United States Avalon Member Hermeticus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Posted by pugwash84 (here)
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/real-li...-autism-379991

A mother claims she helped with her children's autism
    I live in Utah which has the highest percentage of the occurrence of autism in the country and perhaps the world. I'm sharing this with my friend who has an autistic child.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hermeticus For This Post:

Dawn (13th April 2012), DoubleHelix (23rd September 2012), Limor Wolf (18th October 2012), Marianne (13th April 2012)

23. Link to Post #52
    Thanks

I am so grateful that the tone of this thread has finally turned into a discussion of the topic and questions about it. I was feeling really sad that so very few Avalon members were open to learning about this information! Thank you Conk for adding wonderful information here! Thank you Tyler Dyrdun for your comments from Korea!

I'd like to answer a couple of questions that came up and correct some mis-information:

Quote Kanishk: Similarly like natural antibiotics does MMS can also kill gut flora??

Here's my understanding of the probiotic situation. Most (if not all) commercial probiotics are, for the most part, dead when they arrive in dessicated form. These organisms do not appreciate being dried, powdered, bottled, and stored that way for a length of time before being swallowed. So, taking commercial probiotics is a very inefficient and expensive way to create a healthy gut. In fact, this is more of a prophylactic if your gut is already healthy, but wont really do anything to turn around an existing imbalance, such as most us in the modern culture have.

Did you know that scientists have experimented with injecting kefir (made from traditional grains) with e coli bacteria and could not find any e coli at all the next day in the kefir? Apparently the beneficial bacteria in kefir are so aggressive that this virulent pathogen just cannot grow in the milk when competing with them.

About MMS. I am reviewing my own attitude to MMS at this time. I have heard Jum Humble directly questioned about the effect of gut flora. He was caught off guard and stumbled and mumbled as he answered, which tells me that he had not really considered the matter carefully. His answer was, "well I always advise people to take probiotics daily". So, I am guessing that MMS kills 'em all. This might explain why I am having strong die off reactions as I go through this protochol... about 3 years ago I cured myself of breast cancer with, among other things, a 4 month course of MMS. Yet, in my ignorance, I used only commercial probiotics to rebuild my gut flora. In light of the information presented in this thread it is very likely that my actions saved my life, but compromised my bacterial immune system severely.

Each night before bed I am in the habit of brushing my teeth and rinsing my mouth with a pretty strong solution of fresh MMS. Last night both my partner and I had the same thought, and did something totally different. The bacteria in Kefir are known to kill off h-pylori, thus curing ulcers. These same bacteria are responsible for dental carries and gum disease. So last night we used whey strained from our home made kefir to dip our tooth brushes in, and as a mouth wash. We also put some on a paper towel and 'washed' our bodies in whey from head to toe with the moist towel. We plan to continue this practice, since these bacteria have been shown to out-compete many skin pathogens. This is a new way of thinking for me... to enhance my life by focusing on healthy lifeforms, instead of focusing on killing lifeforms I do not like. Life instead of death.

Quote Connecting With Sauce: At the amazing health talk on Tuesday adding the probiotics (the best you can afford) to the fermented cabbage/veggies will grow new ones and strengthen the power of the capsules.
    This is based on a misunderstanding of just how wonderful 'wild' forms of lactose-bacillius are. The reason cabbage is used as a base for most fermented vegies is that cabbage leaves are naturally coated with millions and millions of lactose-bacilli organisms naturally. These organisms are on all vegetables as a natural protective layer, but they are especially prevalent on cabbages. I don't think it is harmful to add commercial strains, however the wild ones will likely out compete them and you will end up with sauerkraut that is filled with these wonderful 'wildlings'. So, you could save yourself some money and skip the step of trying to outdo mother nature by purchasing factory designed probiotics.

This entire concept is so amazing. It is free of the need for big pharma, labratories, man-made improvements, or expensive supplements. This is a true step towards the freedom so many on Avalon long for.

24. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Dawn For This Post:

conk (13th April 2012), DoubleHelix (23rd September 2012), Hervé (21st September 2012), kanishk (14th April 2012), Limor Wolf (18th October 2012), Marianne (13th April 2012), Rainbowbrite (17th April 2012), RunningDeer (13th March 2013), seko (29th April 2012), Swanette (29th April 2012), The Truth Is In There (16th April 2012)

25. Link to Post #53
    United States Moderator Marianne's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,392 times in 2,258 posts

Dawn! Thank you for this thread, sorry I haven't posted; I have read posts mostly at the beginning of the thread, and look forward to catching up soon.

Conk, thanks for the great info.

I just got 'Nourishing Traditions' -- on my lunch break, and can't wait to get into it when I get home.

Found a recipe online for rejuvulac made with quinoa... I have that, and wheat berries, but not rye, so will try it with what I have.
    Last edited by Marianne; 13th April 2012 at 19:34.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marianne For This Post:

Dawn (14th April 2012), Rainbowbrite (19th April 2012), Swanette (29th April 2012)

27. Link to Post #54
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,145 times in 2,998 posts

"Honey, are you coming to bed? I'm feeling amourous".
    "Yes dear, right after I rub all this bacteria over my body"
    "Er, ah, nevermind....zzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

Marianne, I eat quinoa daily. Could you post the recipe or a link?

Next month Dr. Williams is publishing the second part to his essay on digestive health. It will contain information on how best to replenish our gut flora. He writes, "...and then explain very specific (and some quite controversial) techniques that you can use to restore essential microflora. It's an essential step in allowing your body to use its inate ability to heal itself". I'll share it when received.

I remember a raw foodist (Vanderplantz (sp?)) who placed an infants stool (yes, poo) into the colon of an extremely ill person who could no longer swallow. That and placing raw honey and raw milk under their tongue was enough for them to regain some strength and begin eating. The sick person then ate raw meat, raw dairy, raw honey, raw butter and recovered 100%. The baby's poo was extremely rich in bacteria! A rather dramatic approach, but successful. "Hey doc, I need a 'script for some baby dookie".

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

Dawn (14th April 2012), Swanette (29th April 2012)

29. Link to Post #55
    United States Moderator Marianne's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,392 times in 2,258 posts

Quote Posted by conk (here)
    Marianne, I eat quinoa daily. Could you post the recipe or a link?
    http://www.incrediblesmoothies.com/r...ake-rejuvelac/

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Marianne For This Post:

conk (13th April 2012), Dawn (14th April 2012), Rainbowbrite (17th April 2012), Swanette (29th April 2012)

31. Link to Post #56
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,984 times in 463 posts

This is based on a misunderstanding of just how wonderful 'wild' forms of lactose-bacillius are. The reason cabbage is used as a base for most fermented vegies is that cabbage leaves are naturally coated with millions and millions of lactose-bacilli organisms naturally. These organisms are on all vegetables as a natural protective layer, but they are especially prevalent on cabbages. I don't think it is harmful to add commercial strains, however the wild ones will likely out compete them and you will end up with sauerkraut that is filled with these wonderful 'wildlings'. So, you could save yourself some money and skip the step of trying to outdo mother nature by purchasing factory designed probiotics..
    Good idea to use kefir for skin and tooth cleaning

I have come across a recipe for sauerkraut where you do add kefir to the cabbage

http://www.rejoiceinlife.com/recipes/kimchi.php

there is lots of good information on this site

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to leavesoftrees For This Post:

Dawn (14th April 2012), genevieve (12th April 2013), RunningDeer (13th March 2013), Swanette (29th April 2012)

33. Link to Post #57
    Thanks

Quote From: TRUE BOVINE COLOSTRUM for the Practitioner By: Alfred Fox, Ph. D. & Anthony Kleinsmith, Ph.D.
    Medical research has shown that the inflammatory process responsible for leaky gut syndrome can be initiated in many different ways, including the following.
     Excess ingestion of alcohol and/or drinks containing caffeine.
     Continuous use of antibiotics resulting in destruction of the inherent bacterial flora in the intestine.
     Ingestion of foods contaminated by certain bacteria or parasites.
     Routine ingestion of corticosteroids, such as prednisone, and/or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like aspirin or ibuprofen.
     Consumption of large quantities of highly refined carbohydrates, such as the sugar found in candy, cookies, cakes and soft drinks.
    No wonder both the GAPS diet and the Rosedale diet are so restrictive with anything that digests as sugar! It too can create leaky gut.

Today I tasted my 'gingerbug' for the first time. Delicious! I also got to try the Kefir I made from fresh non-commercial kefir grains. It is delicious and VERY different from commercial Kefir available off the grocery shelf in California. The strain I obtained has the piquant taste of yogurt with the effervescence of soda water mixed in. It feels as though it 'sparkles' on the tongue.

And, as often happens in life when you change your understanding... my new frequency pulled into my life an invitation to dinner where fresh home made Kimchee was served. I especially liked the sour green apples which had been fermented along with cabbage, garlic, hot peppers, bell peppers and other mystery vegetables. I'm definitely going to add some sour apples to my first attempt at Kimchee which should be happening later this week sometime.

My sister, who lived in Korea for 7 years, related to me that she came back to the US as a thin healthy person, yet within 2 years in the US had gained 40 pounds and was experiencing inflammation. She never realized this change may have been due to lack of healthy gut flora. In Korea she loved kimchee so much that she ate it at every meal, and even as a snack. In the US she was unable to find kimchee, or even living sauerkraut at the grocery stores where she shopped. Of course she did not realize how important it was until now. Things will be changing in her life now that she realizes the importance of this information.

Thanks for the humor Conk. My partner has mentioned the Vanderplanitz books over and over to me. I am glad we have alternatives to poop and rotten meat for restoration of our gut flora. However his information is very good according to my partner. Recommended Reading:

We Want to Live
    The Recipe for Living Without Disease, the Primal Diet
    by Aajonus Vonderpanitz.

I haven't read them, but I've been told they are 'must reads'. I also understand he has a free newsletter you can sign up for.

Thanks for the links Maryanne and Leaves of Trees.

I must go now to feed my gingerbug, mix up today's batch of rejuvilac, burp my sauerkraut, and strain my kefir. After which I'm going to brush my teeth with bacteria and do my evening ablutions with a towel soaked in whey. Suddenly my life is full of life.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Dawn For This Post:

Swanette (29th April 2012)

35. Link to Post #58
    Thanks

Important info about teeth brushing! I am putting this entry to add information I was unaware of about teeth brushing! I was just checking recent posts on one of my old threads which has resurrected itself. There is wonderful new information there.

I learned that what I am doing by brushing my teeth with whey may damage tooth enamel rather quickly. Sounds like a mouthwash of whey after cleaning my teeth would be great, but brushing with it will likely result in loss of enamel! Here is a wonderful post written by Seikou-Kishi for you to check out on this topic:
    https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...l=1#post465236

And if you would like a commercial product which is actually designed to add healthy bacteria to your mouth, while also stimulating re-growth of gums and teeth here is an excellent post: https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...l=1#post449436
    Last edited by Dawn; 14th April 2012 at 08:32.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Dawn For This Post:

Swanette (29th April 2012)

37. Link to Post #59
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,429 times in 21,488 posts

The strain I obtained has the piquant taste of yogurt with the effervescence of soda water mixed in
    Regarding the effervescence ... did you ferment your kefir with a closed lid, or a lid that allowed air to escape (such as a cloth or paper towel)?

I vaguely recall reading that a closed lid will cause the effervescence ... I could easily be wrong.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

38. Link to Post #60
    Thanks

Hi Paul, I read that too... and this batch did have a closed lid now that I think of it. I highly recommend this ... it is delicious!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1 3 13 28 LastLast