+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst 1 6 16 28 LastLast

Thread: The gut of most disease... NOT what you think!

1. Link to Post #101
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,038 times in 1,437 posts

Default Re: The gut of most disease... NOT what you think!

Quote Posted by kanishk (here)
    I got 2 teaspoon of kefir, and fermented 1 teaspoon of it with 1 cup of milk and other one with 1/2 liters of milk. After 1 day both specimens are looking like yogurt. After filtering it there was not a grainy precipitate, it is creamy, like yogurt. Does that milk got fermented because of lactic acid spores or kefir? How should I differentiate between kefir and yogurt? How does kefir taste like ? what are its other characteristics ..
    Hi kanishk,

I hope this might be of help to you:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/the-differ...ir-and-yogurt/

Quote The Difference between Kefir and Yogurt

Many people who are turning over a new (and healthier) leaf include kefir, yogurt and other healthy food and drinks into their diet. Kefir and yogurt are both very popular among consumers, but while most people think these two are the same, they actually have significant differences. It is important to know about these differences to find out which of the two is the healthier option.
    What Is Kefir?

Kefir is a cultured milk drink widely used in the Middle East, Russia and Eastern Europe. It is made by inoculating the milk of a cow, sheep, or goat with kefir grains, which is mix of bacteria and yeasts that slightly sours the milk and produces a yogurt-like drink. Fruits and sweeteners are added to make the drink more delicious. Being rich in probiotics, this beverage is known to have numerous positive effects including improved digestion, regulation of the immune system and lower blood pressure. It also serves as a remedy for several diseases like constipation, diarrhea, allergies and many more.
    What Is Yogurt?

Yogurt is a nutritious snack that is made from the process of natural bacterial fermentation of milk. To make yogurt, you have to culture cream or milk using live and active bacterial cultures such as Streptococcus thermophilis and Lactobacillus acidophilus. Like kefir, yogurt also has countless health benefits. One of these includes prevention of certain diseases like osteoporosis, yeast infections and colon cancer. Apart from that, yogurt can also improve digestion and help with irregular bowel movements.
    The Difference

The primary difference between the two is the process by which they are made. Yogurt is fermented with bacteria. Kefir, on the other hand, is made with both bacteria and yeast. Because of this, kefir has more good bacteria. It can also help improve function of the intestinal tract, which is something that yogurt is not able to do. Another difference to take note of is the higher nutritional value of kefir compared to yogurt. The former is also able to clean the colon and keep it healthy.

In terms of digestion, kefir curd size is smaller, and is thus easier to digest. This makes it a popular option for babies and elderly people. Yogurt is more common than kefir. You will find more yogurt products in the market than kefir, but with the growing recognition of kefir’s benefits, it will only take a while before you see more of this product.

Both are nutritious and beneficial to health. However, kefir has a little bit more edge over yogurt in terms of nutritional value and digestibility. Include kefir in your diet by drinking it as a smoothie or shake (add chocolate or fruits to make it tastier) or as an addition to any recipe that requires yogurt, sour cream or cream. Whatever way you choose to take in kefir and yogurt, you will be able to enjoy the health benefits that come with them.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Eram For This Post:

Dawn (4th September 2012), genevieve (13th April 2013), kanishk (11th July 2012), meat suit (11th July 2012), RunningDeer (13th March 2013)

3. Link to Post #102
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,543 times in 2,615 posts

Quote Posted by leavesoftrees (here)
    Is this the book?

http://www.chelseagreen.com/bookstor...ning:paperback
    Yep, thats it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Arrowwind For This Post:

Eram (4th August 2012)

5. Link to Post #103
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,583 times in 5,817 posts

Quote Posted by Arrowwind (here)
    kombucha is one simple way of restoration of flora to the gut. Costs next to nothing if you make it yourself.
    I have just (finally) started making my first batch of kombucha.

I will scour this thread again for hints, but wonder if those who make kombucha generally test by sipping or by using pH test strips (especially when you were new to the process and would not know for sure when it is done brewing/fermenting.)

I have also tried the vinegar-added drinks. The commercial drinks that simply add vinegar are not very tasty (according to my taste buds), but at least one commercial kombucha (that adds ginger and blueberry juice) hits the effervescence and taste right on the money (for my tongue.) So, if you'll be adding a sweet juice after the first fermentation, at what pH do you stop brewing? If by taste, I assume I need to make the kombucha "a bit stronger than I want", but have no idea just exactly what that means.

I know that experience is key, and each person's taste buds are different, but I am hedging my bets to try to make the first batch successful.

Thanks in advance for any insights you are willing to share on kombucha-making. (Not just Arrowwind, but everyone.)

Dennis
    Last edited by Dennis Leahy; 1st August 2012 at 19:17. Reason: added link to Synergy Gingerberry Kombucha

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

Dawn (4th September 2012), Eram (4th August 2012)

7. Link to Post #104
    Language
    English
    Thanks

bump bumpity bump bump kombucha!

8. Link to Post #105
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,316 times in 2,099 posts

Canʻt say much about kombucha. Made it some years ago but could not stand it.

Iʻve been making kimchi the last few months using some large 54 oz glass jars ( contained coconut oil) as I like it much better than sauerkraut. I trim down the preparation technique a bit and have it ready to eat in about 10 days in the summer. Very tasty and everyone that has tried it really likes it...as long as they like kimchi to begin with. Koreans ferment many vegetables so I add 5-7 types to the Napa cabbage and lots of garlic and onions.

I use the core of the cabbage along with Napa cabbage leaves to keep the veggies under the cucumber juice which I use as liquid. Got those ideas from a Dr Mercola video. Napa is more tender than head cabbage and makes a nicer dish I think.

Give it a go, very easy to do. If anyone wants the recipe I use, let me know.

Cheers everyone...

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Franny For This Post:

Dawn (4th September 2012), Dennis Leahy (4th August 2012), DoubleHelix (24th September 2012), Eram (4th August 2012), Swanette (7th September 2012)

10. Link to Post #106
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,209 times in 1,149 posts

I haven't been on this thread for a while and I thought a personal report was in order. I've continued to make kefir daily and have developed a taste for it, if not an outright craving. I've given lots of starter grains away to every friend and any neighbor who shows interest and many are reporting benefits to me. I also have continued to add sauerkraut at least once or twice daily as a condiment on the 'side' along with my meal dishes. So.. what are the results so far after 8 months or so on the GAPS diet and these fermented foods?

Well they are, quite frankly, amazing!

1. I no longer have a gluten intolerance (Celiac Sprue disease) it seems.
    .... now, I am not foolish enough to eat wheat often, however I have had a couple of small servings when in social situations with absolutely no ill effects this is amazing because I have had severe intolerance for over 20 years and prior to this a serving would have made me ill for about 3 months while my intestine recovered.

2. All colon difficulties have vanished
    .... at age 61 I had symptoms of crones disease and/or a spastic colon. These are all gone now

3. I am much happier overall than I was before this diet

So, my personal take on the GAPS protocol is that it does exactly what it claims to do.
    Last edited by Dawn; 5th September 2012 at 08:08.

11. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Dawn For This Post:

13th Warrior (5th September 2012), Arrowwind (5th September 2012), Bo Atkinson (5th September 2012), conk (6th September 2012), Dennis Leahy (5th September 2012), DoubleHelix (7th September 2012), Eram (5th September 2012), Flash (4th September 2012), genevieve (13th April 2013), Marianne (5th September 2012), RunningDeer (13th March 2013), Sierra (5th September 2012), Swanette (7th September 2012), ThePythonicCow (4th September 2012)

12. Link to Post #107
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,209 times in 1,149 posts

And one more article which I don't think has made onto this thread yet.
    Find the entire article here: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...your-mind.aspx
    Below is a partial excerpt

Quote By Dr. Mercola

There are 100 trillion cells in your body, but 90% of the genetic material is not yours. It is from the bacteria, fungi, viruses and other microorganisms, i.e. your microflora. Gut microbes are big in the news lately, as researchers continue to discover the important roles these tiny organisms play in your overall health and well-being. We now know that your microflora influence your:

Genetic expression
    Immune system
    Weight, and
    Risk of numerous chronic and acute diseases, from diabetes to cancer

Most recently, research has shown that a certain set of these microbes may actually influence the activity of genes in your brain – and the parts they play are not small parts. They may work to manipulate your behavior, and your memory as well.

Microbes Manipulate Your Mind

According to a recent article in The Guardian1, certain species of gut bacteria have been found to influence gene activity in your brain. Some of this research was published in 2011.2 Mice lacking gut bacteria were found to engage in "high-risk behavior," and this altered behavior was accompanied by neurochemical changes in the mouse brain.

According to the authors, microbiota (your gut flora) may play a role in the communication between your gut and your brain...........

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dawn For This Post:

DoubleHelix (24th September 2012), Eram (5th September 2012), genevieve (13th April 2013), Marianne (5th September 2012), Sierra (5th September 2012), Swanette (7th September 2012)

14. Link to Post #108
    Thanks

My five cents to the whole theme is a recommendation of an online-book (translated from french), which may expand the horizon in thinking about nutrition:
    http://www.reocities.com/HotSprings/7627/ggindex.html

(rather a new thread

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matts For This Post:

Dawn (5th September 2012), Eram (5th September 2012)

16. Link to Post #109
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by latte (here)
    ...Iʻve been making kimchi the last few months using some large 54 oz glass jars ( contained coconut oil) as I like it much better than sauerkraut. I trim down the preparation technique a bit and have it ready to eat in about 10 days in the summer. Very tasty and everyone that has tried it really likes it...as long as they like kimchi to begin with. Koreans ferment many vegetables so I add 5-7 types to the Napa cabbage and lots of garlic and onions.

I use the core of the cabbage along with Napa cabbage leaves to keep the veggies under the cucumber juice which I use as liquid. Got those ideas from a Dr Mercola video. Napa is more tender than head cabbage and makes a nicer dish I think.

Give it a go, very easy to do. If anyone wants the recipe I use, let me know.

Cheers everyone...
    Hi Latte,

OK, time for the kimchi/kimchee recipe, please! Several beautiful heads of red cabbage are begging to be picked.

Dennis

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

Dawn (5th September 2012), Eram (5th September 2012)

18. Link to Post #110
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by latte (here)
    Canʻt say much about kombucha. Made it some years ago but could not stand it.
    My first batch turned out very good. A few friends that like kombucha thought it was excellent; a few friends whose first sips of kombucha were from my first batch didn't like it. Maybe that acidic "bite" is an acquired taste.

I tried to guess at the recipe for my favorite commercial kombucha (Synergy: Gingerberry) and so added 2 oz blueberry juice and 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger juice and 1/2 teaspoon of raw honey to each bottle, then let it go through a second fermenting process for 3 days. I did get effervescence, just a bit less than the best of the commercial stuff (which oddly, sometimes has no or almost no effervescence.)

Next batch (today) will use 1-1/2 oz concord grape juice, less than 1/2 teaspoon of fresh ginger juice, and 1/4 teaspoon of unrefined organic sugar.

Oh yeah, that reminds me... most information says to use plain, cheap, white sugar for the initial fermentation - that it works best, is cheaper, and besides - the bacteria and yeast consume the sugar, not you. But, I could not make myself buy cheap, processed/refined, white sugar. I don't buy that crap and wouldn't even feed it to microorganisms. :~) Besides, unless sugar is "organic" it is almost certainly (in the US, anyway) made from GMO sugar beets. Not for me, thanks.

Below, you see a photo of fancy-schmancy kombucha that cost about 65% less than the best commercial stuff (mostly due to the high cost of pure blueberry juice.) Using organic concord grape juice as the (optional) fruit juice for taste and light sweetness should get me in the range of 80% to 85% less expensive per bottle than the commercial stuff (and I am buying organic tea, organic sugar, organic juice, and organic ginger.)

Dennis

Kombucha tea, with blueberry and ginger. This may be one of the reasons I reincarnated into human form. hahahhaaa

19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

13th Warrior (5th September 2012), CdnSirian (25th September 2012), Dawn (5th September 2012), DoubleHelix (24th September 2012), Eram (5th September 2012), RunningDeer (13th March 2013), spiritwind (9th September 2012)

20. Link to Post #111
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,885 times in 912 posts

Dennis,

Your Kombucha looks and sounds tasty!

I just made some Kimchi; i got the recipe from Mark Bittmans books "How to Cook Every Thing Vegetarian"

Here goes from memory:

2 lbs cabbage shredded

20 scallions coarsely chopped

1/4 cup chopped garlic

1 T. Red Pepper Flakes (more or less to taste)

1/4 cup soy sauce

1/2 cup sugar

Place peeled cabbage leaves in a colander and sprinkle with course salt between layers and let sit until wilted (two hours)...rinse then chop and combine with other ingredients.

It looks like Mark has a new book out and a slightly different recipe:

For the kimchi:
    1 small head (about 12 ounces) green, Savoy, or Napa cabbage, cored and shredded
    2 tablespoons salt
    6 scallions, chopped
    2 tablespoons minced garlic, or to taste
    1 tablespoon minced ginger
    1 tablespoon red chile flakes
    1 tablespoon granulated sugar
    2 tablespoons soy sauce

1. Make the kimchi: Put the shredded cabbage in a colander and toss it well with the salt. Let it sit over a bowl until it wilts, at least 2 hours. Rinse the cabbage and pat it dry.

2. Combine the scallions, garlic, ginger, red chile flakes, sugar, and soy sauce in a bowl or large jar. Toss the mixture with the cabbage. Let the kimchi marinate for a minimum of 2 hours in the fridge.*
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by 13th Warrior; 5th September 2012 at 14:52.
    “Bundinn er bátlaus maður”

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 13th Warrior For This Post:

Arrowwind (5th September 2012), conk (6th September 2012), Dawn (5th September 2012), Dennis Leahy (5th September 2012), Eram (7th September 2012), RunningDeer (13th March 2013)

22. Link to Post #112
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,447 times in 356 posts

Quote Posted by Dennis Leahy (here)
    Oh yeah, that reminds me... most information says to use plain, cheap, white sugar for the initial fermentation - that it works best, is cheaper, and besides - the bacteria and yeast consume the sugar, not you. But, I could not make myself buy cheap, processed/refined, white sugar. I don't buy that crap and wouldn't even feed it to microorganisms. :~) Besides, unless sugar is "organic" it is almost certainly (in the US, anyway) made from GMO sugar beets. Not for me, thanks.
    Hi Dennis,

So which sugar do you use? I am about to make my first batch kombucha, and I too can just not bring myself to use white sugar. Woul prefer to use unrefined, brown sugar (organic). Would that do?

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Swan For This Post:

Dawn (5th September 2012), Dennis Leahy (5th September 2012), Eram (7th September 2012)

24. Link to Post #113
    Thanks

Dennis, I cant answer all your questions. Im not into checking ph etc. I just make it. . Its got to be fizzy or I wont drink it. I let one batch sit on the shelf for about three weeks and what I got was something that tasted just like vinegar.

somewhere on this site you should be able to sign up for emails about kombucha. they get pretty technical
    http://www.kombuchakamp.com/secrets-chapter-1?awt_l=L2Fsl&awt_m=L8Ic9WR1Co5jLN

they do say that green or black tea is essential for making a true kombuch product. I use a combo of greentea and ginger and sometimes ginger/lemon tea bags.

I do use white cane sugar. I figure the micro-organisms will transmutate it. Its not a gmo product that I know of. Next year I plan to grow sugar beets and try making my own sugar... ever consder that possibility?
    Last edited by Arrowwind; 5th September 2012 at 15:12.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arrowwind For This Post:

Dawn (5th September 2012), Dennis Leahy (5th September 2012), Eram (7th September 2012)

26. Link to Post #114
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Dawn (here)
    1. I no longer have a gluten intolerance (Celiac Sprue disease) it seems.
    .... now, I am not foolish enough to eat wheat often, however I have had a couple of small servings when in social situations with absolutely no ill effects this is amazing because I have had severe intolerance for over 20 years and prior to this a serving would have made me ill for about 3 months while my intestine recovered.

2. All colon difficulties have vanished
    .... at age 61 I had symptoms of crones disease and/or a spastic colon. These are all gone now

3. I am much happier overall than I was before this diet

So, my personal take on the GAPS protocol is that it does exactly what it claims to do.
    This is just great for you. You have cured an incurable disease! Truely remarkable.
    These products are so much more effective that just taking acidolophus or yogurt for it actually colonizes in the gut wall.

My gut is doing much better also. Even during weeks where I dont drink Kombucha.

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Arrowwind For This Post:

Dawn (5th September 2012), Dennis Leahy (5th September 2012), DoubleHelix (24th September 2012), Eram (7th September 2012)

28. Link to Post #115
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Swan (here)
    Hi Dennis,

So which sugar do you use? I am about to make my first batch kombucha, and I too can just not bring myself to use white sugar. Woul prefer to use unrefined, brown sugar (organic). Would that do?
    I use an "unrefined" organic very-light-brown sugar. Sugar crystals I buy in bulk from the health food store - I think it is from Paraguay. "Brown" sugar has a high molasses content, and I am not sure what is done to that to get most of the molasses out and still be able to call it "unrefined." I was told that the yeast and bacteria have an easier time breaking down white sugar, but I am concerned for their teeny-tiny pancreas hahahahahaha. I am making them work harder, and (supposedly) it takes longer with more natural sugar. Since I am only a beginner kombucha brewer, I have no idea what the molasses in the brown sugar will do to the timing of the kombucha brewing process. Supposedly it will still work but will be slower. You might even get some extra minerals/nutrients (http://www.kombuchakamp.com/what-is-...ewing-kombucha)

I followed this video pretty closely (except for his use of white sugar, and I did a second fermentation), but also read info from a number of websites and bought The Art Of Fermentation book too.

Happy brewing!

Dennis

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

13th Warrior (5th September 2012), Arrowwind (5th September 2012), Dawn (5th September 2012), Eram (7th September 2012), Swan (5th September 2012)

30. Link to Post #116
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,145 times in 2,998 posts

Dennis, have you ever tried coconut flower sugar? Tasty, very low glycemic, and actually has nutrients. It's granulated. The little organisms should gobble it right up with delight.
    The quantum field responds not to what we want; but to who we are being. Dr. Joe Dispenza

31. The Following User Says Thank You to conk For This Post:

Eram (7th September 2012)

32. Link to Post #117
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,764 times in 987 posts

Wow. Tons of info here. I used honey for kambucha over several months. I developed a weird skin thing over my upper lip so I gave it up. Yet many friends benefited from it and it's not difficult to perpetuate. Unless you want to buy it at Whole Foods...not!

One day I'll figure out why it wasn't good for me.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CdnSirian For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (7th September 2012), Eram (7th September 2012)

34. Link to Post #118
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by conk (here)
    Dennis, have you ever tried coconut flower sugar? Tasty, very low glycemic, and actually has nutrients. It's granulated. The little organisms should gobble it right up with delight.
    Very interesting you should mention that, Conk, because Astrid just clued me into the very same thing. :~)

I had never heard of it and have never seen it on the shelves of health food stores. I just ordered some, through a health food buying club. (I recently joined a "buying club" of a couple dozen people.)

So, I should be able to try it when I do the next batch.

Dennis

p.s. Has anyone tried using a digital ph meter? I see mixed reviews for inexpensive ph meters and hate to waste my money if they are junk. I couldn't justify one of the expensive ones ($100 to $400.)

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Quote Posted by CdnSirian (here)
    Wow. Tons of info here. I used honey for kambucha over several months. I developed a weird skin thing over my upper lip so I gave it up. Yet many friends benefited from it and it's not difficult to perpetuate. Unless you want to buy it at Whole Foods...not!

One day I'll figure out why it wasn't good for me.
    Was it raw honey? From what I've read (about kombucha and about raw honey), raw honey is anti-bacterial, and the kombucha culture SCOBY (symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast) is not too thrilled when an antibacterial agent is added.

Dennis

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

Dawn (21st September 2013), Eram (7th September 2012), spiritwind (9th September 2012)

36. Link to Post #119
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,429 times in 21,488 posts

p.s. Has anyone tried using a digital ph meter? I see mixed reviews for inexpensive ph meters and hate to waste my money if they are junk. I couldn't justify one of the expensive ones ($100 to $400.)
    The pH meters don't look worth it to me either. The low cost ones either get poor reviews on Amazon for not lasting long, or are probably just electrical conductivity meters, and the good ones cost more .

I use a combination of a HM Digital TDS-3 Handheld Meter, which measures Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) by testing conductivity, and pHydrion Vivid Ph Test Strips for testing pH.

Here's how a real pH meter works: pH meter principles - What is pH and how is it measured? As you can see, they are a bit more complex and require a bit more maintenance to keep working right.
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 7th September 2012 at 04:32.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Dawn (21st September 2013), Dennis Leahy (7th September 2012), Eram (7th September 2012)

38. Link to Post #120
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Thanks, Paul.

Yeah, the real ph meters are expensive and require maintenance, calibration, and often/usually storing the tip in liquid. Makes sense for a winemaker, but for me to use so infrequently, not a good purchase.

I have some of those ph test strips that go from 4.5 to 7.5, which might be perfect for testing urine and saliva (and my artesian drinking water), but I need to test for acidity in the 2.5 to 4.0 range for kombucha. That's also the winemaking ph range, so now I'm looking at hobbyist winemaking suppliers.

I need to drink (and eat) acidic fermented foods which (paradoxically) alkalinizes the body.

Thanks for the links!

Dennis

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

Dawn (21st September 2013), Eram (9th September 2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst 1 6 16 28 LastLast