Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1 9 14 LastLast

Thread: The Reset Button Movement

1. Link to Post #161
    United States Avalon Member Robin's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,584 times in 1,239 posts

Default Re: The Reset Button Movement

Well done, Dennis.

You did a great job with your 18 minute talk, I assure you.

I also do not consider myself to have a gift of oratory. I find that I am best able to coney my thoughts when I have a lot of time to think before I write. But Thomas Jefferson was not a good orator either, in fact, he was quite shy and awkward at times.

But what he lacked with oratory, he made up for with his pen and his brilliant mind.

Once again, BRAVO!
    "Rather than love, than fame, than money, give me truth."
    ~Henry David Thoreau

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robin For This Post:

bruno dante (22nd February 2014), Dennis Leahy (22nd February 2014)

3. Link to Post #162
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,428 times in 258 posts

Way to go Dennis!

Not easy to stand in front of a group like that, especially when there's so much you want to say and you know you're on limited time. Oh, and you have to be interesting!

You did really well there. Thanks for posting it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bruno dante For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (22nd February 2014)

5. Link to Post #163
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,583 times in 5,817 posts

Thanks, Samwise and Bruno. I appreciate it.

I look forward to a time when others realize they are just as qualified to speak about The Reset Button as I am.

Dennis

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

bruno dante (22nd February 2014), Robin (22nd February 2014)

7. Link to Post #164
    United States Avalon Member swoods_blue's Avatar
    Thanks

Dennis, I agree wholeheartedly with the thrust of your efforts. You are pointed in the right direction, and thinking about the right issues. This is extraordinarily important. I have signed the document, and will share it. You have lots of ideas and make many points which I agree with enthusiastically.

That said, we're going to need to continue to evolve this.

It is unclear to me who you're writing to or what you're trying to accomplish. Are you espousing a new political philosophy? Or are you trying to build a core organization? Or are you trying to get a Constitutional Amendment passed? Or are you trying to upend the two-party system? I mean, it looks like you're trying to do all those things, but an absence of focus will damn four worthy causes to untimely deaths. One document can't do it all.

For example, you have a section called "What is this document?". This is on page 29 of 58. Without me getting into any deeper analysis, I think you can probably recognize the inherent problem there.

I also don't think you can call for a general strike before building the network to support the strikers. Shall I simply begin striking all on my own tomorrow? My employer has 40 people working for him. Although our clients are large corporations, my absence wouldn't mean much to them, though it would really screw my boss. This sounds like a good way to get fired. On the other hand, if I knew 10 million people were going to join me, hey, I'd be happy to call in sick. You can't have a strike without a network.

I disagree with your abandoning the call to protest in state capitals. H.R. 347 applies to federal buildings occupied by the President or Vice-President, or which is hosting an event of national importance. It doesn't apply to state property. Mass action is, arguably, the single best method of effecting change, and peacable assembly is specifically protected by the Constitution. It's a right that needs to be exercised, and there's no point calling for Constitutional Amendments yourself, if you're afraid to exercise your existing Constitutional rights.

Crucially, I think a call to action needs to be short -- maybe 2 pages at most. 58 pages is a book. The philosophy, background, analysis and venting needs to be done elsewhere, and are best suited to recruiting fellow activists. But petitions and/or statements need to be short. Ideas are adopted through coalitions (this is the core of "politics" in the broadest sense, which governs human relations from small groups to large organizations or governments). So you don't want to discourage people from signing onto your goals because they aren't in complete alignment with your point of view.

I would say at this point, if you really are trying to build a movement, you are simply trying to attract a core group of people to your community. Statements and petitions can grow out of that, and will go much further with a network of influencers to support it.

I hope you accept this feedback in the spirit it is offered -- that is, from someone who supports your general thrust and goals.

P.S.: "good Behaviour" is mentioned in Section. 1. of Article III., not Article II., of the Constitution. And FWIW, it's spelled with a "U" in the original.
    Last edited by swoods_blue; 2nd March 2014 at 21:45.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to swoods_blue For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (2nd March 2014), Hawkwind (13th October 2015), kfm27917 (2nd December 2019), Robin (3rd March 2014), Violet (19th December 2014)

9. Link to Post #165
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,941 times in 376 posts

Hi Dennis
    I watched and admire your stand up presentation on the Reset button.
    More and more people need to come together on this. Unfortunately I think the federal level is a lost cause at this point.
    Government for the people by the people is going to have to happen on a local level. Not sure if you have seen this before. Really like what Tomas Jefferson had in mind to protect the states from federal tyranny.
    I may share this video on a separate thread here on PA. top notch IMHO

Also this was broadcasted today.. guest attorney Scott Stafne (WA) - to discuss his law firm's recent victory in Washington ruled against Bank of America.
    Senkas is a bit hard to understand but Scotts words make up for that. (50 mins.)
    http://www.blogtalkradio.com/senkali...-them-together

I feel times are a changing. All the Best....

10. Link to Post #166
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by swoods_blue (here)
    Dennis, I agree wholeheartedly with the thrust of your efforts. You are pointed in the right direction, and thinking about the right issues. This is extraordinarily important. I have signed the document, and will share it. You have lots of ideas and make many points which I agree with enthusiastically.

It is unclear to me who you're writing to or what you're trying to accomplish. Are you espousing a new political philosophy? Or are you trying to build a core organization? Or are you trying to get a Constitutional Amendment passed? Or are you trying to upend the two-party system? I mean, it looks like you're trying to do all those things, but an absence of focus will damn four worthy causes to untimely deaths. One document can't do it all.

For example, you have a section called "What is this document?". This is on page 29 of 58. Without me getting into any deeper analysis, I think you can probably recognize the inherent problem there.

I also don't think you can call for a general strike before building the network to support the strikers. Shall I simply begin striking all on my own tomorrow? My employer has 40 people working for him. Although our clients are large corporations, my absence wouldn't mean much to them, though it would really screw my boss. This sounds like a good way to get fired. On the other hand, if I knew 10 million people were going to join me, hey, I'd be happy to call in sick. You can't have a strike without a network.

I disagree with your abandoning the call to protest in state capitals. H.R. 347 applies to federal buildings occupied by the President or Vice-President, or which is hosting an event of national importance. It doesn't apply to state property. Mass action is, arguably, the single best method of effecting change, and peacable assembly is specifically protected by the Constitution. It's a right that needs to be exercised, and there's no point calling for Constitutional Amendments yourself, if you're afraid to exercise your existing Constitutional rights.

Crucially, I think a call to action needs to be short -- maybe 2 pages at most. 58 pages is a book. The philosophy, background, analysis and venting needs to be done elsewhere, and are best suited to recruiting fellow activists. But petitions and/or statements need to be short. Ideas are adopted through coalitions (this is the core of "politics" in the broadest sense, which governs human relations from small groups to large organizations or governments). So you don't want to discourage people from signing onto your goals because they aren't in complete alignment with your point of view.

I would say at this point, if you really are trying to build a movement, you are simply trying to attract a core group of people to your community. Statements and petitions can grow out of that, and will go much further with a network of influencers to support it.

I hope you accept this feedback in the spirit it is offered -- that is, from someone who supports your general thrust and goals.

P.S.: "good Behaviour" is mentioned in Section. 1. of Article III., not Article II., of the Constitution. And FWIW, it's spelled with a "U" in the original.
    Excellent feedback, swoods_blue! I'll come back and go point-for point and review your observations, but first I'll run off and check my citation of a Constitutional article - and fix if I got it wrong. I thought I did spell "behavior" the old-fashioned way it was in the Constitution, ("behaviour.")

Dennis

11. Link to Post #167
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,575 times in 2,121 posts

signed and proud to be an offshore supporter of The Reset Button.

Love your passion in these words below Dennis. They encompass for me the driving reason you stepped into doing instead of just talking. A working blueprint that will make a difference, my friend. I am so proud to know you.

Let's get more intention behind this. It's now open to the world.

Zebra goes for The Reset Button

Quote Posted by Dennis Leahy (here)
    I am an anti-political activist.

Politics is bullsh!t. Politics is shenanigans. Politics is deal-making. Politics is cronyism. Politics is partisan loyalty. Politics is loyalty to donors. Politics is loyalty to special interests. Politics is collusion. Politics is betrayal of the public trust. Politics replaces integrity with corruption.

And, that's a best-case scenario. In the real-world, such as the US Congress, politics is pure theater. Scripted nonsense, a shadowboxing stage-show between faux rivals so that both flavors of corrupt bastards can wag some meaningless words at their "constituency", when necessary.

When all is said and done, lobbyists write or edit most bills that are passed into law by Congress. Partisan voters, as inebriated with intellect-blocking partisan loyalty as the shirtless drunks in football end zones, never shake-off the hangover to even ponder when the last piece of citizen-centric legislation was passed by Congress into law. The easily-fooled may cite some piece of legislation with a psychologically-charged, apparently citizen-centric title, but it is invariably Orwellian doublespeak for the corporate-centric text of the bill.

The drama of the political theater is so high that it (along with the mind-numbing partisanship itself) prevents a large segment of the US population from realizing that every single bill that has passed in at least 40 years has been corporate-centric. That's right, folks - way before Citizens United. Not to leave the impression that prior to 40 years ago was "the good old days" is US politics, the vast majority of bills passed into law by Congress have been pro-wealthy, pro-business and anti-citizen from the beginning (especially anti-citizen to those who are not wealthy, white, and male.)

No one who is informed should want "politics" in any form. What we need is non-partisan, transparent discussion, debate, and deliberation leading to citizen-centric legislation and dismantling corporate-centric legislation. No games, no dealmaking, no collusion, no bullsh!t. Does this sound like something that the Democrats and Republicans might be willing to do? Of course not - these partisans work for the Elite and the corporations they own. It will never get better as long as Congress is filled with corporatists, and it makes no difference if they are corporatist Democrats or corporatist Republicans.

Just imagine for one minute: Congress filled with ordinary citizens, vetted to have no corporate ties, and no political parties. US citizens represented by citizens. A government of, by, and for the people. (Even if you want the FORM of government changed, it would have to start by getting the corporatists out and citizens in.)

Dennis

p.s. Have a few more people who were "going to get around to it" - especially US citizens - actually read The Reset Button document yet?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Debra For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (4th March 2014), Robin (3rd March 2014)

13. Link to Post #168
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Article III was correct in one spot in the document, and incorrect in another spot. Good eye! Thank you. (Uploading a corrected version tomorrow.)

Using the phrase "good behavior" (modern usage) and surrounding it with quotation marks (to emphasize it as a contested phrase) is evidently confusing in this paragraph which also quotes the US Constitution and the phrase "good behaviour.":
    Fair, honest, impartial, and wise judges are one critical leg of the tripod (legislative, executive, and judicial branches) for the stability of the US government. The authors of the US Constitution were vague in defining the length of term for judges, evidently believing that all judges would faithfully remain loyal to the spirit of the Constitution, and would remain impartial and non-partisan. The authors failed to envision that the phrase “good behavior” would be a weak guideline to determine the ending date of service. Article III, Section 1 of the US Constitution states, “The Judges, both of the supreme and inferior Courts, shall hold their Offices during good Behaviour”, but failed to specify a specific length of time for the term. Judges, especially justices in the Supreme Court, have become highly politically biased and have aided and abetted in practices of collusion between the US government and corporate and banking industries that could only be considered as 'good behavior' by those industries, and to the great detriment of the people of the United States. Judges have become like monarchs – ruling until death. Even worse, judges have become like monarchs aligned with the world's most powerful business interests – national and international – and have become completely disjointed from alignment with the citizens of the United States. The Supreme Court case, “Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission”, giving unbridled power to corporations – including foreign board members and shareholders – to buy US elections, is the final straw. The solution is to elect rather than to appoint judges, to define their length of service as the same 4-year maximum as any other elected official, and to provide a clear pathway for the citizen electorate to remove judges from office when it becomes necessary.
    I'll see if I can figure out a good rewrite of that, or perhaps place "good behavior" in bold italic.

Agreed that it needs to evolve, and it should not be me evolving it.

The Reset Button is not a call to change the form of government, nor change the national political ideology. {We've never even had a national dialog about this yet - and it will be heated.}

On the cover of The Reset Button document, is stated:
    "The Reset Button - A plan and strategy to get all money, all influence, and all control of the Financial Elite and Power Elite out of U.S. Elections"
    and
    "The Goal:
    Ordinary US citizens in control of US governance.

To Finally achieve a government of the people, by the people, and for the people."

So, that's the concept. Once you examine and analyze the 9 ways that the Elite control the electoral paradigm, it becomes obvious that unless all 9 ways are negated, the Elite will still control the electoral paradigm (meaning no change.) So, what is required is a comprehensive approach, dealing with all 9 ways. The one that most activists and activist organizations deal with (campaign finance reform) is actually number 4 on the ranked list, and we simply cannot change actual election outcomes without dealing with the top 3 on the list.

So yes, it is a bit complex, but can be handled with one law and one amendment. If We the People cannot force that one law and one amendment to be passed, then the Elite will remain in complete control of the electoral paradigm - it really is that simple. At some point, we have to decide if it is good enough to just fight (by embracing a simpler yet guaranteed ineffective strategy), or decide that we want to actually win, and at least perform the critical steps of a working strategy - regardless if it appears too complex to some people.

For example, even if Move to Amend's and/or Rootstrikers' goal was reached, there would be absolutely no change in governance. So, I support their movements as wake-up calls, but not as workable strategies toward real change.

Correct, a strike must be a unified effort, not something to do "lone wolf." We're not ready, but it is important that people know what it will entail when we are ready.

After deep thinking/soul searching, and after watching the work of agents provocateur to destroy Occupy Wall Street, the passage of the NDAA and HR357 (and now new revelations about "COINTELPRO-2" from Snowden), I simply cannot ask my brothers and sisters to place their bodies in the line of fire. I also believe that with enough people participating in a general strike, the intended pressure will be felt. If you think about it, we know we have a corporatist government and that the [s]elected actually represent the Elite (they are minions of the Elite.) Why protest? They don't care - it has become nearly meaningless (other that the unifying force for citizens.) The financial pressure on the corporations will either be enough for citizens to win, or we will fail. Bodies in the street add nothing to the pressure on the corporate Elite.

There is an "executive summary" that is 2 pages long (and a re-write is coming, to simplify it further.)

The page where people sign The Reset Button document is very succinct.

As mentioned in the document, I know that I don't know how to organize a movement - if it happens, it will be others with that skillset, taking The Reset Button document (that may not have been within their skillset to synthesize), and using their organizational skills to create a movement. Maybe it will be you and a few dozen others that form the first core group and knows how to create a movement. And then, you will pass the torch to yet another group of "others" that will keep building it (without forming any hierarchical organization around the movement, or a target is created that the COINTELPRO type agents know exactly how to destroy.)

Yes, at this point, my personal most humble goal is to do no more than to get a massive number of people aware that the Elite control the electoral paradigm, and control it 9 ways, and enumerate what those ways are. If nothing else comes of The Reset Button, adding that understanding to the zeitgeist will enable people to see why simply fighting for campaign finance reform or overturning Citizens United will not actually change anything. So far - to the best of my knowledge - this is the only person, organization, book, speech, etc. that exposes how the Elite control the electoral paradigm, and connects the dot that this is how they keep control over our governance. That alone is valuable knowledge, because we cannot solve a problem we cannot see or define.

From a collective goal, if enough people unify behind this concept, the citizens of the US could take control of the electoral paradigm, and thus take control over our own governance. That is in stark contrast to the goals I see other activist organizations espousing (they typically envision "better" people in governance, but don't sem to realize that the system is set up to allow the Elite to provide the pool of viable candidates. It's not the money - it's the power and influence and the control of the duopoly and the mass media.

Your feedback is extremely important, and accepted in the spirit given.

Thank you very much.

Dennis

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

Debra (7th March 2014), kfm27917 (2nd December 2019), Krist (21st May 2014), Robin (4th March 2014), swoods_blue (25th March 2014)

15. Link to Post #169
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by aviators (here)
    Hi Dennis
    I watched and admire your stand up presentation on the Reset button.
    More and more people need to come together on this. Unfortunately I think the federal level is a lost cause at this point.
    Government for the people by the people is going to have to happen on a local level. Not sure if you have seen this before. Really like what Tomas Jefferson had in mind to protect the states from federal tyranny.
    The United States federal government is insane (unless you're among the corporate/banking/oligarch club that dictates foreign and domestic policy. There's just no running and hiding from the federal government, and no control structure at the local or state level to stop the federal government from its criminal, militaristic, imperialistic romp over the world. We have an executive branch that acquiesces to go to war - always undeclared war - to keep Congress out of any decision-making for or against any war. That is one gigantic issue at the federal level. The federal government also trumps any State's laws, when there is a federal law in opposition. Example: states legalize cannabis, the feds still can and do conduct raids, and the states do nothing to stop them.

Nullification sounds good, but there are not 50 governors and 50 state legislatures that have integrity and the passion to defy the US federal government. (I don't think there is a single one.) Part of the problem is that all of the governors and 99% of the individuals in state legislatures are Democrats and Republicans - the same duopoly parties that control to federal-level duopoly parties.

Can you imagine the "mood", the zeitgeist, of US citizens if citizens demand "Election Reform" and fail? Can you imagine what the US federal government would have on their hands? Even failure of The Reset Button would create a defining moment. I believe that if The Reset Button becomes a full-blown movement with millions participating, the US federal government cannot win. In a karmic reversal of Orwellian doublespeak, if they win, they lose.

Dennis

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

Debra (7th March 2014), Krist (21st May 2014), Robin (4th March 2014)

17. Link to Post #170
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Zebra (here)
    signed and proud to be an offshore supporter of The Reset Button.

Love your passion in these words below Dennis. They encompass for me the driving reason you stepped into doing instead of just talking. A working blueprint that will make a difference, my friend. I am so proud to know you.

Let's get more intention behind this. It's now open to the world.

Zebra goes for The Reset Button
    Thank you so much, Zebra. The citizens of the US may just possibly be awakened to the phenomenon and sort of "sucked into the vortex" created by non-US citizens signing The Reset Button. In a way, it may be easier for those outside the US electoral system to see the desperately flawed system, and to encourage their US brothers and sisters to make a move.

:~)

Dennis

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

Debra (7th March 2014), Krist (21st May 2014), Robin (4th March 2014)

19. Link to Post #171
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Addendum to swoods_blue and aviators:

(regarding the idea of protest)
    People seeing each other eye-to-eye, being together, IS very powerful, and there is no "cyber" substitute for that. In The Reset Button document, under "Citizen Action List, Explained", number 8 (that swoods_blue referenced), is the following:
    Do gather on private property to communicate with your neighbors and community. No more protest is really necessary. Now, just spend your energy uniting with community members, explaining the urgency of the situation, the plan, and the strategy. Do not spread fear! Evil people feed on fear, and fearful people are easily manipulated. This “bottom-up” approach, individuals in communities reaching out to one another, rekindling and strengthening the bonds of community, recognizing community members as allies, is one of the most positive and powerful gifts from the Occupy Movement.

I'd go as far as to say that a "top-down" movement without a simultaneous "bottom-up" movement would fail (would probably fall prey to manipulation and revert to rule by the Elite after a short amount of time.)

And that segues right into what aviators was saying:
    Quote Unfortunately I think the federal level is a lost cause at this point.
    Government for the people by the people is going to have to happen on a local level.
    Again, what we do locally, community-based, ground-up, (and possibly even individual State governments and governors finding the cajones they now lack) is critical to an overall goal of throwing off the tyranny of the Elite Rulers. It is foundational. I don't want to leave the impression that top-down ONLY is what will work or what The Reset Button advocates. It really will require BOTH, and either simultaneously (the most expedient) or bottom-up and then adding top-down (but that could take decades to achieve the same goal.)

Dennis

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

Debra (7th March 2014), Krist (21st May 2014), Robin (5th March 2014), swoods_blue (12th March 2014)

21. Link to Post #172
    United States Avalon Member Blacklight43's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,900 times in 245 posts

Hi Dennis. You finally got me! I just signed your petition. Thanks for being here.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blacklight43 For This Post:

Debra (7th March 2014), Dennis Leahy (5th March 2014), Robin (5th March 2014)

23. Link to Post #173
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Blacklight43 (here)
    Hi Dennis. You finally got me! I just signed your petition. Thanks for being here.
    Thanks, Blacklight43. I'll note that this is more powerful than signing a petition, for this reason: In signing a petition, we are asking, "petitioning", a group of people to change their behavior or to change some legislation or policy. The implication is that those people remain in power to do what we are asking.

On the other hand, signing The Reset Button document is like singing the Declaration of Independence, with the implication that the group in power will no longer be in power, nor will their sponsors (the Elite) be allowed to re-fill the positions. The implication is that the fundamental system of conducting elections is to be transformed specifically to keep the Elite out of power and ordinary, "citizen-centric" citizens (not aligned with the Elite) in power.

Dennis

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

Robin (15th March 2014)

25. Link to Post #174
    United States Avalon Member Blacklight43's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,900 times in 245 posts

Dennis it was indeed the Reset Button I signed. And thanks again for being here.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Blacklight43 For This Post:

Robin (15th March 2014)

27. Link to Post #175
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Blacklight43 (here)
    Dennis it was indeed the Reset Button I signed. And thanks again for being here.
    Thank you for being here, too! And thanks for giving me an opportunity to explain (to anyone reading this thread) why signing The Reset Button is not like signing a petition.

The Elite possess so much "stuff", so much property, and so much wealth, that they will never be completely "out of power" - but I sure hope I'm alive to see them out of power over politics, and thus out of power over US domestic and foreign policy, legislation, and adjudication. :~)

Dennis

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

Robin (15th March 2014)

29. Link to Post #176
    Language
    English
    Thanks

"Get the money out of politics!" is false hope and misdirection. That phrase has been 'marketed' and 'advertised' by organizations such as Move to Amend and Rootstrikers, and is now pervasive in society. It is actually a lie that most people believe (have been brainwashed to accept as true.)

US citizens have no representation at all on the Federal level (and not much at the State level.) Yet, most (nearly all) activists insist on tacitly accepting the paradigm that these non-representatives will remain in power (and worse, that when seats empty, that they will be filled with more of the same ilk.) "That's just the way it is", is the pervasive theme.

It is critically important that people wake up to the reality that money in politics in NOT the only issue, and is FAR from the main issue. Once people wake up to the reality that they have NO representation - (challenge them to find the last piece of federal legislation that was either truly citizen-centric or eco-centric. Tell them to pack a lunch) - they will hopefully be ready to explore just exactly how to get citizens representing citizens rather than corporate-aligned minions representing the Elite.

Once that happens, they will immediately fall under the spell of "Get the money out of politics", and we need to change that to "Make the fundamental changes to get the Elite out of control over politics, elections and governance." The solution - any REAL solution - will need to be as comprehensive as The Reset Button is.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

Blacklight43 (15th March 2014), Curt (10th June 2014), Robin (15th March 2014)

31. Link to Post #177
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Are you a citizen of a country that is NOT the USA? If yes, do you think the world might just be a better place if the Ruling Elite did not control US political system and US election system? If yes, please sign the Reset Button... and encourage US citizens to read it, sign it, and share it. Here's a direct link: http://www.resetbuttonmovement.org/S...esetButton.php

Dennis

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

Curt (10th June 2014), Limor Wolf (24th May 2014), Robin (18th March 2014)

33. Link to Post #178
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I don't know about you, but I am really tired of the Elite greedy sociopaths being in charge. They are getting worse. Don't you at least want to try to get people who are not Elite, greedy sociopaths in charge, and move forward from there? It's not going to just happen on its own, you know.

Dennis

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

Curt (10th June 2014), Joe Sustaire (1st January 2015), Krist (21st May 2014), Robin (28th March 2014)

35. Link to Post #179
    United States Avalon Member Krist's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't know about you, but I am really tired of the Elite greedy sociopaths being in charge. They are getting worse. Don't you at least want to try to get people who are not Elite, greedy sociopaths in charge, and move forward from there? It's not going to just happen on its own, you know.

Dennis
    Yes! I would ,sounds good Dennis.Thank you for the extraordinary effort.Lets do

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Krist For This Post:

Curt (10th June 2014), Dennis Leahy (21st May 2014), Limor Wolf (24th May 2014)

37. Link to Post #180
    UK Avalon Member loveoneanother's Avatar
    Thanks

Are you a citizen of a country that is NOT the USA? If yes, do you think the world might just be a better place if the Ruling Elite did not control US political system and US election system? If yes, please sign the Reset Button... and encourage US citizens to read it, sign it, and share it. Here's a direct link: http://www.resetbuttonmovement.org/S...esetButton.php

Dennis
    Hello Dennis

My name is William and i live in the UK. I was wondering if you could offer me your opinion on something ?

My sister Victoria sent me a link in an e.mail today and as soon as i started looking at what she had linked to, i began to think about you.

It's about a 'reset' movement in the UK that i haven't come across before.

I remembered from a previous visit to Avalon that you had posted about something called The Reset Button Movement and i was wondering if there was any connection between the two ideas or whether it's just a coincidence that both ideas are using the same 'reset' word ?

My sister is looking for my thoughts on this particular 'reset' idea but unfortunately i'm unable to offer her any meaningful thoughts about it because it is not something i have given any thought to.

I was wondering if you would be kind enough to have a look at this 'reset' initiative and perhaps you could let me know whether you see this approach as being effective or not ?

Any opinion or advice that you can offer about this 'reset' idea and how effective you think it could be in creating the change everyone is looking for will be much appreciated.

(The following is an extract from thereset.org site) :

Holding a local re-set referendum

Enabling the re-set constitutional conventions

The 1972 Local Government Act already makes allowances for the holding of local referenda in the United Kingdom. It is relatively easy for ordinary voters to set up a local referendum, although at present the result is only to be advisory to other authorities. However, the proposed re-set referendum process can enable constitutional conventions which do not need any authority’s approval.

The law which entitles local communities to a referendum is part 3, schedule 12, paragraph 18, sub-paragraphs 4 and 5 of the Local Government Act of 1972. In Wales, the reference is part 5, paragraph 34, sub-paragraphs 4 and 5. You have to live in a Civic Parish Council in England or a Community Council in Wales. These are mainly in rural areas, but if you are in any doubt then check with your local council.

The re-set website (www.thereset.org) system links you to your own local area. As sufficient numbers join we will send you more details on the actual re-set referendum to be used, but here is the process. We will provide the referendum format, so please don’t rush out and do this until everything
    is prepared. For this to work there are very precise details that need to be included.

Initially you should make sure you can vote and are on the Electoral Register for you Parish in England (or Community Council in Wales).
    The boundaries of “your area” are those governed by your local Parish Council (England), or Community Council (Wales). Unfortunately provisions do not exist for cities in England or similar procedures in Scotland or Ulster and we will enable those areas differently.

Six voters on the Electoral Register for that Parish (available for viewing at local Post Office) now need to sign a piece of paper calling for a Public Parish meeting on a specified date more than seven clear working days hence. This ‘notice of meeting’ should specify date, time (after 6.00pm), venue, the names of the six, and the business to be transacted at the meeting (i.e. to call for a re- set referendum). As a minimum the notice should be pinned up at one prominent site in the area but ideally you will promote it wider, supported by www.thereset.org.
    Notify the Parish Council and the Chairman of the District Council as to what you are doing. Tell them that you are acting under Part 3, schedule 12, paragraph 18, subparagraphs 4 and 5 of the Local Government Act 1972. You may well find that if your chosen issue arouses strong feelings locally, the Parish Council will come on board to help with the organisation of the meeting.

For the meeting to be valid, you will need at least ten local voters present. The meeting may be chaired by the Chairman of the Parish council if willing, but anyone chosen by the meeting can chair it. Whatever else happens at the meeting, you will need to propose a motion calling for the re-set referendum (Parish Poll). If one third of those voters present, or ten of those present, whichever figure is smaller, call for a referendum, then your District Council is obliged by law to hold one. Note this means that it is actually possible to lose a vote at the meeting since Local Referenda are Direct Democracy based, but still satisfy the requirements for calling a referendum. Go to your District Council and tell them the outcome of the vote at the meeting. Quote the relevant legislation again. They now have between 14 and 25 days to hold the referendum.
    http://www.thereset.org/about.php

I also watched the following video about The Reset Button Movement in order to help further my understanding of the 'reset' idea and i'm posting it here in the hope it will help further the understanding of someone else :

Thank you for taking the time to read this post
    Last edited by loveoneanother; 10th June 2014 at 13:30.

38. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to loveoneanother For This Post:

Curt (10th June 2014), dan33 (10th June 2014), Dennis Leahy (10th June 2014), kfm27917 (2nd December 2019), Robin (11th June 2014), RunningDeer (10th June 2014)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1 9 14 LastLast