Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The cost of fat

1. Link to Post #1
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,614 times in 5,382 posts

Default The cost of fat

This is not a nice post so be warned.

I wish to make a statement about the secret underlying consequence of our modern society.
    It is not new, it is not earthshattering. It is, however, basic fact. A fact that we bury deep within ourselves as we go about our busy days.

This is not aimed at the obese, nor is it an attack on any particular lifestyle or belief.

It is this: The cost of fat is paid for in the blood of innocents.

This is an analogy, more than it is the physical manifestation of the subcutaneous storage of energy. Although it is a basic fact that our western world is becoming ever-increasingly overweight and out of shape.

Imagine the average westerner, who is fairly awake and aware and loving and caring, watching the news, say, about the starving unfortunates in some far away land - while munching on a big bag of chips and guzzling a 2 litre bottle of their favorite soda. Mouth full of poison, their hearts go out to the terrible image presented to them. Maybe even shedding a tear. Or even more likely, considering shedding a tear but the thought of having to get up and woddle down the hall after to wash their greasy tears off, deters them from that activity. Then they turn the station to their favorite show...

Or imagine the Friday afternoon or Monday morning rush to fill up their gas tanks.

Or consider the tourist in some third-world country complaining how it is not safe to travel the countryside because of the locals that may accost them for money or pick their pockets or, in extreme cases, hold them for ransom.

These are all images designed to illustrate and drive home a single point. All of our modern activities have been paid for by the misery of billions less fortunate than ourselves.

Each of us here, in the so-called first world, have blood on our hands. That is the true cost of our prosperity. In our greed, in our laziness and lassitude, in our ineptitude, in our stored reserves of fat, we have stated our fundamental position: that the cost of fat is worth the blood of the innocent.

Every year an individual lives on this planet, they have spent the life of another individual as the price of their opulence. And we are so proud how our life-expectancy continues to climb. What we are really saying is we have increased the death toll per capita to support our lifestyles.

We all have blood on our hands.

So when you pump your gas, or munch your favorite snack, or line up at the fast food counter or drive-through, remember what the cost of fat truly is. Blood. The blood of those to whom we did not give a chance to shine.

The cost of fat is paid for in blood.
    Last edited by Ernie Nemeth; 6th May 2012 at 14:08.
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

2. The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Alex Laker (6th May 2012), Anka (5th December 2020), Bill Ryan (5th December 2020), Calz (7th May 2012), christian (6th May 2012), Constance (5th December 2020), Corncrake (8th May 2012), Davy (8th May 2012), Debra (8th May 2012), Ellisa (7th May 2012), Jay (6th May 2012), karelia (6th May 2012), Kryztian (6th December 2020), Mare (6th December 2020), Mike (27th July 2015), MMA_Fan (6th May 2012), modwiz (7th May 2012), mosquito (7th May 2012), Mozart (6th May 2012), Rainbowbrite (6th May 2012), RMorgan (6th May 2012), RunningDeer (6th May 2012), sdv (7th May 2012), ulli (7th May 2012), wynderer (6th May 2012)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,807 times in 613 posts

Default Re: The cost of fat

Quote Posted by Ernie Nemeth (here)

So when you pump your gas, or munch your favorite snack, or line up at the fast food counter or drive-through, remember what the cost of fat truly is. Blood. The blood of those to whom we did not give a chance to shine.

The cost of fat is paid for in blood.

That's so, so true, brother. Thanks for sharing.

It is through our silence, our quiescence of the current system of central banking, of bull**** politics and of the dominance of corporations that has created this horrible and sad situation. I refuse to accept this situation any longer.

And that's all the more reason why we need to effing toss off those effing bankster-bastards and stop their pillaging us and the rest of the world. We've got do succeed with the mass arrests asap!

~Mozart
    Last edited by Mozart; 6th May 2012 at 14:14.

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mozart For This Post:

Bill Ryan (5th December 2020), Calz (7th May 2012), Davy (8th May 2012), Ernie Nemeth (7th May 2012), modwiz (7th May 2012), Rainbowbrite (6th May 2012), Rogerc (7th May 2012), RunningDeer (6th May 2012), ulli (7th May 2012)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

Thanks Mozart.

This just hit home recently and I had to speak up in as simple a form as I could think of.
    People must become more aware and given the impetus to effect change.
    Our mindsets must be re-aligned with truth so the propaganda we have allowed to rule our minds can be shattered forevermore.

It begins within then moves without, into the world we perceive...
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Bill Ryan (5th December 2020), Calz (7th May 2012), Davy (8th May 2012), modwiz (7th May 2012), Rainbowbrite (6th May 2012), RunningDeer (6th May 2012), ulli (7th May 2012)

7. Link to Post #4
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks

I like the sentiment of what you posted, but I see a contradiction when you talk about the average Westerner drinking 2 litres of soda a day and eating high levels of saturated fat etc. (personally, I wouldn't call that the average Westerner, although maybe we might joke in England that it is the average American, or average Scot...)

Frankly, I see that anyone in such a position to be comsuming in such a manner are themselves stuck in a kind of poverty, although not necessarily of an immediately mortal kind. In any case, such a person is not going to have a high life expectancy, and they probably know that.

I think that we might find that the most awake people in the western world also have the highest life expectancy. This would be down to the fact that they feel more in the know, and therefore more in control of what's going on in the world, and that they can actually help. In addition, they are also more likely to eat healthily. Both of these things together reduce feelings of depression, which in turn helps to motivate one to do the other two things, which is only positive.

I think actually that many in the west are not guilty because they are 'fat' at the cost of quality of life in the third world, but actually we are 'fat' because we are guilty. Most people just couldn't deal with knowing how the world really is. They know it's bad, of course, but in order to carry on functioning, they escape it with consumerism.

Either way, telling it how it is like you have done in the OP will push each type of person (awake or asleep) further down their respective paths. You tell an asleep person that the world is an evil place, and it forms part of their 'negative feedback loop', and they indulge further in consumerism to try and convince themselves its not their fault, or at least everything will be better with a new iPhone.

You tell an awake person the same thing, and it forms part of their 'positive feedback loop'. It motivates them to continue trying to change the way they live, and will motivate them to act in bringing prosperity to the third world.

Basically, this wouldn't be a way to wake people up - its too harsh and too real. But of course, this is something we must all realise very quickly if the people in most need in the world are to have any hope. It is a dilemma within a dilemma.
    Who am I to tell you what's real?

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Alex Laker For This Post:

Bill Ryan (5th December 2020), Ernie Nemeth (6th May 2012), Mozart (8th May 2012), Rainbowbrite (6th May 2012), selinam (7th May 2012)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,652 times in 513 posts

Ernie, I appreciate your POV.

From a health perspective of course you are right.

Nothing about "now" is pretty. Not if we are trying to pierce the veil.

But please keep in mind, when you have sheeple (of which I am in the process of breaking free from being one) you absolutely don't know that there's anything but being a part of the herd. Whether we're FAT westerners or STARVING children, we have been led to that particular herd. We have proof of this all over PA and other Alternative News groups.

And when you break free from a herd, you are at such risk to be eaten alive by wolves, tigers, lions ....

So let us have mercy on those of us with programming that has to be undone. It is going to take SHOCK & AWE to wakeup this FAT herd you are talking about. I am doing all I can do to become "awake and aware" and think/belief/wish/hope/speak out for this shock and awe to come forth.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Alie For This Post:

Bill Ryan (5th December 2020), Ernie Nemeth (6th May 2012), Mozart (8th May 2012), RunningDeer (6th May 2012), wynderer (6th May 2012)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Thanks Araxes.
    Quote I think actually that many in the west are not guilty because they are 'fat' at the cost of quality of life in the third world, but actually we are 'fat' because we are guilty. Most people just couldn't deal with knowing how the world really is. They know it's bad, of course, but in order to carry on functioning, they escape it with consumerism.
    Fat is an analogy only, not a observed bodily trait.
    What I am trying to say is that we can have the riches we have but not at the expense of others. We do not live in a vacuum, in an isolated system. What we do in the west affects everyone on the planet. So if we deserve an iphone or want to drive around in cars, or power our homes with nuclear technology or whatnot we must understand that everyone must have access to those things also. If they do not, our industries will inevitably grind them into the dust in their never-ending search for more and cheaper resources and labor.

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Alex Laker (7th May 2012), Bill Ryan (5th December 2020), Calz (7th May 2012), modwiz (7th May 2012), Mozart (8th May 2012), Rainbowbrite (6th May 2012), RunningDeer (6th May 2012), ulli (7th May 2012)

13. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,652 times in 513 posts

Quote Posted by Ernie Nemeth (here)
    Thanks Araxes.
    Quote I think actually that many in the west are not guilty because they are 'fat' at the cost of quality of life in the third world, but actually we are 'fat' because we are guilty. Most people just couldn't deal with knowing how the world really is. They know it's bad, of course, but in order to carry on functioning, they escape it with consumerism.
    Fat is an analogy only, not a observed bodily trait.
    What I am trying to say is that we can have the riches we have but not at the expense of others. We do not live in a vacuum, in an isolated system. What we do in the west affects everyone on the planet. So if we deserve an iphone or want to drive around in cars, or power our homes with nuclear technology or whatnot we must understand that everyone must have access to those things also. If they do not, our industries will inevitably grind them into the dust in their never-ending search for more and cheaper resources and labor.
    Ernie
    Again, this is a good thread. I certainly understand that "fat" isn't physical but a condition of "the American Dream" --- money, power, freedom (fake), you know ...

I work with the public --- there are different kinds of spending --- survival spending, and pleasure spending.

I'm kind of unfocused here ... but my point is this. So many people spend to alleviate boredom, feel good about themselves, escape reality ... The reason is that they are the "walking dead" ===> there's no meaning in their life (of course I don't mean they don't LOVE their families) but more along the line of a lack of understanding their life purpose.

It's like being very sick for a very long time, and then suddenly being well. Every little thing takes on new meaning.

What you are trying to do, I think, is shake us a little bit and say .... WAKE UP! There's so much more to life than consuming. WAKE UP, WAKE UP ....

(I'm so trying to)

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Alie For This Post:

Bill Ryan (5th December 2020), Ernie Nemeth (7th December 2020), Mozart (8th May 2012), Rainbowbrite (6th May 2012), RunningDeer (6th May 2012)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

Hi Alie.
    Quote I'm kind of unfocused here ... but my point is this. So many people spend to alleviate boredom, feel good about themselves, escape reality ... The reason is that they are the "walking dead" ===> there's no meaning in their life (of course I don't mean they don't LOVE their families) but more along a LACK of understanding their life purpose.
    There is no meaning in their lives, in my life too, because our paradigm is false. We are not an advanced society so long as we do not factor in the cost of any advancement.
    For example: nuclear power. The Japanese power company has declared that they will not even try to clean up the mess of the disaster site because of concern for the dividends of their investors. This is clearly insane, of course, because they did profit while selling their product but now wash their hands of the dire results they had not anticipated.
    It is the same thinking with the suggested carbon tax. Imagine imposing a tax on industries that pollute the air. That is how the industrial revolution came about in the first place.
    In other words, there was in fact no advancement, as they continue to tell us in the mainstream media, because the cost of that activity has been detrimental to all life on the planet.

Shake us up? That would be impossible.
    Shame on us that such need even exists, is more like it.
    I can only change my own little internal world, and then spread the truth which we all share - whether we want to hear it or not.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Bill Ryan (5th December 2020), jp11 (6th May 2012), Rainbowbrite (6th May 2012), RunningDeer (6th May 2012)

17. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,310 times in 18,139 posts

Hello Ernie,
    The ease of your expression helps me find the words to share with those just beginning to awaken. I also appreciate the dimensions from where you speak. It's inspiring.

WhiteCrowBlackDeer

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Bill Ryan (5th December 2020), Debra (8th May 2012), Ernie Nemeth (6th May 2012), modwiz (7th May 2012), Rainbowbrite (6th May 2012)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

Internal change is of course, positive and necessary but it rings hollow if it isn't followed with external change...right? It has been my experience that 'spreading the word' is so much more powerful when it is spoken quietly through example.
    If I speak out on GMO's for instance...my words carry much more weight if I am slim and healthy and not speaking around a mouthful of french fries. It carries even more weight if my yard supports food production instead of a ridiculous expanse of mowed lawn...and more weight again if I treat dandelions as a food source instead of a noxious weed to be treated with genocidal fervor.
    External change builds on itself and spreads.
    From what I have experienced...a real live person - living a change - has a far greater impact on those they come into contact with on a daily basis then the false doctrine that spews out of the TV.
    Just MHO.
    We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails.
    Calloway

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ki's For This Post:

Bill Ryan (5th December 2020), Ernie Nemeth (6th May 2012), jp11 (6th May 2012), Mozart (8th May 2012), NancyV (6th May 2012), Rainbowbrite (6th May 2012), RunningDeer (6th May 2012)

21. Link to Post #11
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,530 times in 419 posts

Its called the relative world we live in. Completely necessary for us to have the experience and also ultimately see through the illusion.
    If by having blood on our hands you mean we are implicit, then I agree however the biggest mistake you can make is attaching guilt.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to andrewgreen For This Post:

Bill Ryan (5th December 2020), Rainbowbrite (6th May 2012), thepainterdoug (6th December 2020)

23. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Ki's (here)
    Internal change is of course, positive and necessary but it rings hollow if it isn't followed with external change...right? It has been my experience that 'spreading the word' is so much more powerful when it is spoken quietly through example.
    If I speak out on GMO's for instance...my words carry much more weight if I am slim and healthy and not speaking around a mouthful of french fries. It carries even more weight if my yard supports food production instead of a ridiculous expanse of mowed lawn...and more weight again if I treat dandelions as a food source instead of a noxious weed to be treated with genocidal fervor.
    External change builds on itself and spreads.
    From what I have experienced...a real live person - living a change - has a far greater impact on those they come into contact with on a daily basis then the false doctrine that spews out of the TV.
    Just MHO.

No Ki's, that's not an opinion, that is fact! Truth is never an opinion.
    Thanks for the imput.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Bill Ryan (5th December 2020), Mozart (8th May 2012)

25. Link to Post #13
    United States Unsubscribed wynderer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,989 times in 1,133 posts

there's a locally owned-supermarket in Ithaca, the home of Cornell U, where many little NWO things are being quietly done -- these guys & gals are always well provided for materially

when i walk into the very capacious supermarket , i always feel like i am in one of the black holes that all the sustenance of the so-called Third World countries is having siphoned out of them

so i shop at the co-op or at the poor person's supermarket

26. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

Quote Posted by andrewgreen (here)
    Its called the relative world we live in. Completely necessary for us to have the experience and also ultimately see through the illusion.
    If by having blood on our hands you mean we are implicit, then I agree however the biggest mistake you can make is attaching guilt.
    Thanks AndrewGreen.

Guilt is not something I can attach to anyone's lifestyle - they can do that perfectly well on their own. I only stated the fundamental truth of our society, the one that is hidden way down below the awareness of most. Perhaps the most important aspect of what I am trying to convey is how we have become dependant on our severely flawed system. So much so that we can no longer even contemplate another way.

And this brings me to another truism: the four uncontested drives of our society. These are the things that keep us getting up every day and working ourselves to the bone. These are the things we want beyond all else. We will pay any price to attain these things, including going to war, raping the environment and wasting resources.
    The car, the house, the vacation, the retirement.
    These are also used as the signposts of a successful life. And they are also the things used to coerce us to continue struggling despite all odds. They just happen to be the things that have skyrocketed in price and cause the most harm to our planet.

Stating these things does not make me a conveyor of guilt or shame. But I do carry each in my heart.
    Of course beyond that I realize it is ultimately an illusion. I would simply rather live an illusion of peace prosperity and abundance for all the world's people, no matter where they live.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Bill Ryan (5th December 2020), Mozart (8th May 2012), Rainbowbrite (6th May 2012)

28. Link to Post #15
    United States Avalon Member Rantaak's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 times in 360 posts

I don't believe in guilt but I do understand the mechanisms that have been created by the people and allowed for by the people which propagate imbalance throughout the world.

I feel that this is merely a part of the phenomena of the times we live in - teetering on the edge of impending rebirth. There are two sides to every coin - if you're skinny, you'll die in 24 hours if you don't eat anything. Everyone needs energy. But the distribution of such is imbalanced. I know there awaits a dawn wherein energy is freely and abundantly available to all.

After all, multidimensional crystal elves once informed me that everything is going to be okay and that everything is already falling into place. All we must do to prepare ourselves is to remember the smile, the laugh and the voice.
    By Seeking You May Find. By Doing You May Become.

29. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rantaak For This Post:

Bill Ryan (5th December 2020), Constance (5th December 2020), Ernie Nemeth (7th May 2012), Mozart (8th May 2012), Rainbowbrite (7th May 2012), ulli (7th May 2012)

30. Link to Post #16
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,549 times in 833 posts

Awesome conversation.

Guilt is a very selfish emotion - all about me and what I did. If that is how people respond to Ernie's message, then they are not getting it. Empathy is a more fitting response, and to feel empathy you need to feel what it would be like to be the other. And sometimes it takes a strong and eloquent message like Ernie's to wake us up.

I wish and hope that each person who reads this thread resolves to try to be a little bit more aware every day of your impact on the world, and to look for ways to make healthier choices in everyday life - with an open heart.
    Sandie
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. (Carl Sagan)

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sdv For This Post:

Bill Ryan (5th December 2020), Ernie Nemeth (7th May 2012), Mozart (8th May 2012), Rainbowbrite (7th May 2012)

32. Link to Post #17
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,739 times in 1,371 posts

Thanks Ernie and everyone else. This is a topic I've been mulling over for years, and would like to make a contribution to this thread, but would rather wait until I have more time to produce something other than my quick-fire drivel !!!

33. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mosquito For This Post:

Bill Ryan (5th December 2020), Constance (5th December 2020), Ernie Nemeth (7th May 2012), Mozart (8th May 2012), Rainbowbrite (7th May 2012)

34. Link to Post #18
    Thanks

Not to be forgotten are those who are slim and apparently healthy-looking but who smoke cigarettes to drive down their appetites, causing an increase in air pollution and health care costs for all; those who are used to thinking that a Sunday Drive (and NASCAR and other wastes of gas) are a harmless thing, not realizing the ultimate cost such profligate usage of energy is; those who live in huge houses when millions are in shacks and shanties; those who will let commercials convince them to buy things they really don't need and thus hurry along the collapse of entire ecosystems; those who value profit above sustainability because 'that's how capitalism works' not realizing the damage they are doing to the environment; and last but not least, those who eat animals they could never bring themselves to kill and butcher themselves while expecting someone else to do this soul-deadening job for them.

35. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to frozen alchemy For This Post:

Bill Ryan (5th December 2020), Constance (5th December 2020), Ernie Nemeth (7th May 2012), Lettherebelight (7th May 2012), Rainbowbrite (7th May 2012), wynderer (8th May 2012)

36. Link to Post #19
    Ireland Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Good message, terrible analogy.

Replace the fat couple with a beautiful, slim, young vegan female who is too busy texting her friends on the cell phone to give a care and you get the same thing.

The price of fat is not paid for in blood, the price of ignorance is paid for in blood.

Peace and love-
    Jeff

37. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to UnrealDreams For This Post:

Bill Ryan (5th December 2020), Constance (5th December 2020), Ernie Nemeth (7th May 2012), GloriousPoetry (27th July 2015), Lettherebelight (7th May 2012), Rainbowbrite (7th May 2012), wynderer (8th May 2012)

38. Link to Post #20
    United States Avalon Member Shamz's Avatar
    Thanks

Dear Friend

Although I loved your message and feel what you are saying... but unfortunately this world - universe and all the cosmos doesn't work like that.

For the sake of argument...lets assume ( I wish it comes true ) that Earth is a very peaceful and fulfilling planet for everyone on it... then some ETs can complain that Earth is to blame for some other planet which is not so happy/peaceful ???
    I am giving this analogy... because in the big picture....in the grand scheme of things... we all are same... everywhere...in whatever form we are -- all part of the same Source.
    Just trying to go back to our original home - one way or the other...swimming the sea of our Karma.

So do what you can to help others... but you can't be responsible for everyone else - nope

Love and Light
    ~~ Much Love
    In Lak'ech Ala K'in ( I am You and You are me )

39. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Shamz For This Post:

Bill Ryan (5th December 2020), Ernie Nemeth (7th May 2012), Rainbowbrite (7th May 2012), thepainterdoug (6th December 2020), ulli (7th May 2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast