+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 3 5 LastLast

Thread: SAMSARA: The Movie

1. Link to Post #41
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,410 times in 1,804 posts

Default Re: SAMSARA: The Movie

Quote Jeez, we'll never fix this place. It all needs to come down. ALL of it.
    Then we can rebuild.
    I watched the trailer, yes it was effective. But we can clean up things without a melodramatic armageddon.

We have the technology, willpower and and resources to fix every single problem we've made. Industrial hemp and Bamboo would take care of a good fifty per cent of our issues.

We have pollution clearing tech, pure water technology, new farming systems.

If it all came crashing down we'd learn nothing.

We've been given a stay of execution. Grace. I'm just going to get on with things and let fate do what it wants.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Daozen For This Post:

bennycog (30th May 2013), InCiDeR (30th May 2013), jagman (30th May 2013), Padmé (30th May 2013), TargeT (30th May 2013), Timreh (30th May 2013)

3. Link to Post #42
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,659 times in 8,694 posts

Quote Posted by mariposafe (here)
    Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Wow -- what a screwup this place is. A stupendously beautiful, stupendously tragic, really-mixed-grab-bag of an immense godawful screwup.[/I]
    With 30 countries under my belt, a variety of jobs in and out of the rat race, a wide range of salaries (and therefore different economic perspectives) to boot, I can safely say that the above statement sums it all up nicely.

After writing that, I just went to have a look out of my window while contemplating our situation. I saw the neighbour's cat and dog playing together - why oh why can't we just get back to the simple things, like having fun with each other, helping, co-operating, supporting ? It's not that bloody hard is it ?!
    OR!

What an excellent full spectrum experience we have being expressed here on this planet, what more evidence is needed of a consciousness splintered into 7(+)billion perspectives all turned back on itself to experience the most that this planet can offer.

But then I suppose that's a bit too optimistic?

You are exactly where you are suppose to be doing exactly what you should be doing, you can choose to view that as terrible or wonderful, the ride is already going, enjoy it or not, the ride does not care.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Beren (1st June 2013), DeDukshyn (30th May 2013), InCiDeR (30th May 2013), jagman (30th May 2013), Padmé (30th May 2013), seko (30th May 2013), Snookie (1st June 2013), Timreh (30th May 2013), Wind (31st May 2013), Zampano (30th May 2013)

5. Link to Post #43
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,293 times in 353 posts

It is a breathtaking and eye-opening documentary for sure. Murray made a thread about it last year in summer.

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...sara-The-Movie

Here is the documentary Baraka from the same makers, similar style.

I just wanted to point out the post above by TargeT...he really puts it in good words!
    Last edited by Zampano; 30th May 2013 at 16:14.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zampano For This Post:

InCiDeR (30th May 2013), Timreh (30th May 2013), william r sanford72 (4th June 2013)

7. Link to Post #44
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,524 times in 32,788 posts

Quote Posted by Zampano (here)
    It is a breathtaking and eye-opening documentary for sure. Murray made a thread about it last year in summer.

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...sara-The-Movie
    Thank you! I'll merge the threads.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Yoda (30th May 2013)

9. Link to Post #45
    China Avalon Member
    Language
    Mandarin
    Thanks

Thank you for the post and the torrent! so very grateful to it~

I remembered vividly that Japanese Butoh shot in Baraka, that silent screaming is such a representation of contemporary human psychic in this "stupendously beautiful, stupendously tragic, really-mixed-grab-bag of an immense godawful screwup."

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    -------

Yes. Members following my posts over time will know that I've often said (usually in response to someone's voiced 'Ascension' hope) -- Look, you need to travel in India and Africa, and then you can see the reality on this planet.

This film does that for the viewer. (And adds China into the mix, as well.) You really get it.

Like: Wow -- what a screwup this place is. A stupendously beautiful, stupendously tragic, really-mixed-grab-bag of an immense godawful screwup.

I know in this forum, mostly are from or live in the western world. But I wonder, really wonder that the western world is the fairiy land(or can be) in this world, because I have seen terrible things happening in there(I studied last year in London) and people walking happily towards the The Queen's Diamond Jubilee(All men are created equal?) . I just think there are different versions of reality and we people from western world or other parts of the world all have that.

Also there is a documentary called "Life in a Day" , it offers a worldview perpective of how differently people live on this planet, but how similar we really are on our "journey".
    Introduction: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_in_a_Day_(2011_film)
    Youtube channel: www.youtube.com/user/lifeinaday‎

Last edited by yuhui; 31st May 2013 at 00:01.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to yuhui For This Post:

DeDukshyn (31st May 2013), Gemeos (4th June 2013), InCiDeR (30th May 2013), Sierra (3rd June 2013), Timreh (1st June 2013), william r sanford72 (4th June 2013)

11. Link to Post #46
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Jeez, we'll never fix this place. It all needs to come down. ALL of it.
    Then we can rebuild.
    Bill (or anyone), if you list 3-5 of the main problems you believe we face, we can have a structured debate about our environmental future.

I haven't seen Samsara yet, but I wonder if it's subtly pushing the 'humans are a cancer they need to be wiped out' line....

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Daozen For This Post:

bennycog (31st May 2013)

13. Link to Post #47
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks

Anyone want to step up and have a lively + good humoured debate?

Serious offer.

If -anyone- thinks Earth's society is unredeemable, and needs to go down, I'd like to hear why.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daozen For This Post:

Fred Steeves (3rd June 2013), InCiDeR (3rd June 2013)

15. Link to Post #48
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,025 times in 8,167 posts

I just watched Samsara, having first read about it here and ordered the DVD which arrived this morning.

Whaw !

So sad.

I often think of the ways of the world as if it's all like electronic circuits. While watching the 'madnesses' in this film, I even saw how we probably create a fip side to everything we develop. The flip side is that even though we think we have built complex electronics to serve us, we have actually also made our own lives like that. It's so creepy to realise how cleverly we fool ourselves that we are smart.

What a waste of smarts !
    Last edited by norman; 3rd June 2013 at 20:26.
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

InCiDeR (3rd June 2013), Sierra (3rd June 2013)

17. Link to Post #49
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,963 times in 3,187 posts

Quote Posted by Daozen (here)
    Anyone want to step up and have a lively + good humoured debate?

Serious offer.

If -anyone- thinks Earth's society is unredeemable, and needs to go down, I'd like to hear why.
    I can play a convincing devil's advocate if you like...

18. Link to Post #50
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,686 times in 774 posts

Quote Posted by norman (here)
    I just watched Baraka, having first read about it here and ordered the DVD which arrived this morning.

Whaw !

So sad.

I often think of the ways of the world as if it's all like electronic circuits. While watching the 'madnesses' in this film, I even saw how we probably create a fip side to everything we develop. The flip side is that even though we think we have built complex electronics to serve us, we have actually also made our own lives like that. It's so creepy to realise how cleverly we fool ourselves that we are smart.

What a waste of smarts !
    BARAKA was an awesome movie. i bought samsara on blu ray when it came out. very nice. i'll have to watch it again, as we had to ffwd somethings we thought we too mature for our toddler. as we tried to watch it with her. i think we'll need to give it another go. the music is unbelievable.
    unite, alright
    you know one thing about music? when it hits, you feel no pain!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to soleil For This Post:

InCiDeR (3rd June 2013)

20. Link to Post #51
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote I can play a convincing devil's advocate if you like...
    Oh yeah. Then why don't you step up, Pilgrim?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Daozen For This Post:

InCiDeR (3rd June 2013)

22. Link to Post #52
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Just as most junkies need to hit rock bottom on the road to perdition before a healing can begin, so it is with us here on planet Earth.

As above so below,
    As below so above

23. Link to Post #53
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks

Agreed Fred, a low point can jolt you into a turnaround.

But how far do we need to sink? Riots, violence in the streets, world economic collapse? A glance at www.indiegogo.com tells me there are initiatives underway to tackle nearly every problem we have.
    Last edited by Daozen; 3rd June 2013 at 19:08.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Daozen For This Post:

InCiDeR (3rd June 2013)

25. Link to Post #54
    Ilie Pandia

Samsara (and Baraka) both are an X-Ray vision into our global society. It shows you the things you would rather not know about.

It shows you the price of cheap clothes and cheap oil. It shows you how the tasty looking, teasing smelling animal products are being produced.

It's safe to say that people working in those jobs are way to poor and busy to "debate things" on the forum like this. Life is way too real and too busy for them.

It is not strange, that at the end you see humans working in what is nothing more than "human farms": sit in your box and do the same move, over and over again...

No amount of debate will fix that... I would not be able to breath in some of the "office spaces" I saw in those movies.

We are accumulating a huge amount of debt in terms of health (both physical and mental), of pollution and environmental destruction and in our "in-humanity" to other humans. All of these are bound to return to us, and I am quite surprised it did not happen yet.

It's very easy to argue with your full belly, roof over your head and working computer that everything seems to be fine with the world.

26. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Ilie Pandia For This Post:

Agape (3rd June 2013), bruno dante (4th June 2013), fifi (6th June 2013), Gemeos (4th June 2013), InCiDeR (3rd June 2013), Limor Wolf (3rd June 2013), Muzz (3rd June 2013), Neal (4th June 2013), PurpleLama (3rd June 2013), RMorgan (3rd June 2013), Sidney (4th June 2013), Sierra (3rd June 2013), william r sanford72 (3rd June 2013), Wind (3rd June 2013)

27. Link to Post #55
    Ilie Pandia

PS: I have nothing against abundance, comfort and a good living. It just does not seem right that a small part of humanity lives in luxury, shifting the price to all the rest. And when I see people buying stuff, only to throw it away... I cannot comprehend that. Some families could live a month on the stuff that other people throw away, to be disposed off.

28. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Ilie Pandia For This Post:

Gemeos (4th June 2013), greybeard (3rd June 2013), InCiDeR (3rd June 2013), Limor Wolf (3rd June 2013), Muzz (3rd June 2013), Neal (4th June 2013), RMorgan (3rd June 2013), Sierra (3rd June 2013), william r sanford72 (3rd June 2013), Wind (3rd June 2013)

29. Link to Post #56
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

But how far do we need to sink? Riots, violence in the streets, world economic collapse? A glance at www.indigogo.com tells me there are initiatives underway to tackle nearly every problem we have.
    Well Daozen, here's a pretty good little analogy. I mostly remodel houses for a living, and learned from amongst the finest in that field. Somebody with a good eye, a good imagination, common sense and the experience to boot, can transform a shambles into a friendly little summer cottage in the woods.

Then again, there still has to be that little something something to work with in the first place... Sometimes a structure is impossibly riddled and devoured by termites, and is not all that far from simply collapsing under it's own weight. In these circumstances, even the master builder must concede that there is nothing he can do with it, and recommends the structure be razed to the ground to begin anew.

30. Link to Post #57
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks

You've made a bunch of good points Ilie Panda. I'll save this post and get back to you tomorrow.

Quote It's very easy to argue with your full belly, roof over your head and working computer that everything seems to be fine with the world.
    1) I haven't eaten for a few hours.

2) My laptops on the blink.

3) Things are NOT fine with the world. It's a complete mess. What I'm saying is that technology and solutions exist for many, many of the issues you've named.
    It's not easy, and it might take decades to get it worted, but it can get done.

I was waiting for someone to finally start naming the problems so we can try and break down the issues.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Quote Then again, there still has to be that little something something to work with in the first place... Sometimes a structure is so impossibly riddled and devoured by termites, and is not all that far from simply collapsing under it's own weight. In these circumstances, even the master builder must concede that there is nothing he can do with it, and recommends the structure be razed to the ground to begin anew.
    I understand your analogy.

But are you or I the master builder? And do either of us have the power to start the razing?

I don't, and I don't want to.

So as we're still here, in a grey area.

So I'm going to get on with projects in my sphere of influence.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Daozen For This Post:

InCiDeR (3rd June 2013)

32. Link to Post #58
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote PS: I have nothing against abundance, comfort and a good living. It just does not seem right that a small part of humanity lives in luxury, shifting the price to all the rest. And when I see people buying stuff, only to throw it away... I cannot comprehend that. Some families could live a month on the stuff that other people throw away, to be disposed off.
    You're right, its a mess. There are plenty of projects underway to reclaim, recycle and redistribute goods. Computers to the developing world, plastic bottles into houses etc.

Ideas to sort out our trash problem would help a lot. I've seen plenty.

OK must go.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Daozen For This Post:

InCiDeR (3rd June 2013)

34. Link to Post #59
    Ilie Pandia

@Daozen, I understand why you thought my post was aimed at you, as I used some of the words you have used. But if you look at the movie you will understand what I mean...

Quote 3) Things are NOT fine with the world. It's a complete mess. What I'm saying is that technology and solutions exist for many, many of the issues you've named.
    Indeed, and as far as I am concerned, technology is not even a problem any more... we can feed and clothe everybody since the 60's (if not much much earlier). But before starting to fix anything, we must first see that there IS a problem. However, seeing that there IS a problem, for some people means to see that other humans (and the environment) pay dearly for their comfort. These people have a vested interest in NOT seeing that something is totally messed up...

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ilie Pandia For This Post:

InCiDeR (3rd June 2013), Limor Wolf (3rd June 2013)

36. Link to Post #60
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

I understand your analogy.
    But are you or I the master builder? And do either of us have the power to start the razing?.
    In this case it is the example I gave of the termite infested house, and it's about to collapse on it's own. The collapse can happen either sooner (with just a little nudge), or later (on it's own).

You and I are not the master builder by the way, we are the clean up crew.

So as we're still here, in a grey area.

So I'm going to get on with projects in my sphere of influence.
    By all means do so! As many lives were lost on the Titanic, so were many saved.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 3 5 LastLast