+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst 1 14 24

Thread: The Arctic is melting, the Antarctic is freezing. What does this mean?

1. Link to Post #461
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,457 times in 4,332 posts

Default Re: The Arctic is melting, the Antarctic is freezing. What does this mean?

For those who can do it but didn't think of it:

A nearly perfect emergency generator

by Robert
    November 4, 2020
    “Easily enough to power my freezer, refrigerator, some LED lights, the TV, and the blower for my wood burning fireplace insert.”
    – Nathan Brazil

Note: This post is for information only and is not electrical or mechanical advice.

A nearly perfect emergency generator

Nathan Brazil

A Toyota Prius with an inverter, available factory installed or added yourself to the 12V system if you are capable, is a nearly perfect emergency generator. This article https://invertersrus.com/prius-power-inverter/ explains it well.

My Prius “c” provides me with 800 watts continuously via a 1KW sine-wave inverter I added to the 12 VDC system. This is easily enough to power my freezer, refrigerator, some LED lights, the TV, and the blower for my wood burning fireplace insert. I run heavy duty extension cords around the house rather than trying to tie-in to the breaker box, that way I have complete control over the loads I place on the system and there is no danger of feeding power into a dead power line. I used this system for 5 days during an ice storm a few years ago.

The engine runs intermittently, about 1 minute out of 10 to keep the main high voltage traction battery battery charged. The system uses the traction battery to charge the 12 VDC accessory battery. The 12 V battery supplies the approximately 80 amps needed to run my add-on inverter.

The Prius as a generator is very efficient. I did not measure exactly how much gas I used in those 5 days, but I never refilled my 10 gallon tank and had plenty left in it.

I left the car parked out in my driveway (locked) and ran a construction grade #10 extension cord into the house under the garage door. It’s a hassle to run the extension cords and I only do it if I have reason to believe it will be an extended outage. In my location I’m guessing that except for the ice storm, in the last 10 years the power has been out less than a 5 hours a year. To me its not worth putting in a whole house generator for that.

Keep in mind that a Prius is designed to generate and properly handle distribution of large DC voltages and currents. Don’t try this with a regular car battery and alternator, you may damage your vehicle. You could screw up and damage your Prius. The factory installed option is best, this post is for information only and is not electrical or mechanical advice.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gwin Ru For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (5th November 2020), Bill Ryan (5th November 2020), Ewan (7th November 2020), Harmony (5th November 2020), Jambo (18th August 2023), kfm27917 (5th November 2020), Sarah Rainsong (5th November 2020)

3. Link to Post #462
    Language
    Spanish
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,274 times in 1,654 posts

Default Re: The Arctic is melting, the Antarctic is freezing. What does this mean?

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    -------

One thought that occurred to me is that if the build-up of ice is asymmetrical, then this might create a very slight wobble on the spinning mass of the planet. I have no idea what effects that might trigger (or if the wobble would be large enough to create a knock-on effect).
    Well, you say it; if this fenomenon is anormal and go on , it could trigger the erth crust flip, like in the movie 2012...

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vicus For This Post:

Bill Ryan (5th November 2020), Deborah (ahamkara) (23rd November 2020), Harmony (5th November 2020)

5. Link to Post #463
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,457 times in 4,332 posts

Recent Drop in Solar Activity Portends a Much Colder Time Ahead – Video

by Robert
    November 23, 2020

I highly recommend that you watch this video by Peter Temple, who warns “just when we need more energy and warmth, we have politicians trying to tax it out of existence.”

“The sun and the planets are the main driver of climate change on our tiny little planet,” says Temple, who pretty much says what I’ve been saying all along, namely that “it’s a cycle, it’s a cycle, it’s a cycle!”

The difference is that Temple doesn’t take our rapidly declining magnetic field strength into account, which I fear will make things even worse.

Periods of warming correlate with major civilizations You can see by the above graph that temperature has been trending down for the past 5,000 years.

Perhaps this next graph, beginning about 9,000 years ago, will make that trend even more visible.

Notice that temperatures were warmer than today when Ancient Egypt flourished. Temperatures were also warmer than today during the Roman Empire, the Grecian Empire, during the time the Maya were flourishing, and during the Medieval Warm Period.

So much for unprecedented global warming!

Blue areas signify times when temperatures were colder than today. Red areas represent times of warmth (mostly warmer than today).

Here’s a little hint of what you will see in the video:
    • Periods of warming correlate with the rise of major civilizations, ie: Egypt, Greece, Rome, The Mayans.

• When the climate cools, civilizations collapse into ruin. Those periods get labeled as dark ages, because there usually great declines in living standards.

• Social mood always turns negative with colder climate, which brings about riots and wars.

When the climate cools, civilizations collapse into ruin.
    • One of the other features of the 172-year cycle is financial collapse.

• And now, just when we’re going to need more energy and warmth, our politicians want to tax it out of existence.
    Peter also refers to the Russian astrophysicist Habibullo Abdusamatov, who warns that we are now headed into a little ice age. I have posted about Dr Abdusamatov many times. Here is one of those posts: A New Little Ice Age has already begun, says Russian astrophysicist

If for some reason this video does not display, you can also view it on Peter Temple’s website:
    https://worldcyclesinstitute.com/global-cooling/
    And if that doesn’t work, you can view it on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZw4...AyEGBtq0oLFkkw

6. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Gwin Ru For This Post:

Alan (23rd November 2020), Bill Ryan (23rd November 2020), Brigantia (23rd November 2020), ByTheNorthernSea (23rd November 2020), Constance (23rd November 2020), Deborah (ahamkara) (23rd November 2020), Dennis Leahy (18th August 2023), Ewan (23rd November 2020), Franny (23rd November 2020), Jambo (18th August 2023), Old Student (23rd November 2020), Sunny-side-up (18th August 2023), Yoda (23rd November 2020)

7. Link to Post #464
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,528 times in 32,788 posts

Quote Posted by Gwin Ru (here)

Blue areas signify times when temperatures were colder than today. Red areas represent times of warmth (mostly warmer than today).
    That's a heck of a clear, simple graph to show to Greta Thunberg.

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Alan (23rd November 2020), ByTheNorthernSea (23rd November 2020), Deborah (ahamkara) (23rd November 2020), Dennis Leahy (18th August 2023), Ewan (23rd November 2020), Gwin Ru (23rd November 2020), happyuk (23rd November 2020), Old Student (23rd November 2020), Yoda (23rd November 2020)

9. Link to Post #465
    United States Unsubscribed
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 times in 639 posts

Yup, there is a cycle, yup, the arctic is melting and the antarctic freezing. But no, that does not disprove that climate change caused by emissions into the atmosphere isn't happening, nor that it will have catastrophic effects if the emissions aren't stopped, or the atmosphere otherwise brought into balance.

The arctic is melting due to a warming planet. The antarctic freezing is happening for the same reason but with a more complicated mechanism. Warming in the large oceans (Atlantic, Pacific, Indian) and the weather above it has caused a permanent shift in the circumferential current around Antarctica, pulling it tighter and reducing the amount of interchange with currents to the north. So since it is pretty much static in position near the cold, it is colder, and that supports colder air around the edge of the continent, causing more snow.

A permanent shift like that caused by events in the surrounding oceans is an example of a tipping point. People don't talk much about tipping points for climate, but they are a big deal, because they are things that if the climate was to reverse, either by stopping the emissions or otherwise, would not change back.

10. Link to Post #466
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,951 times in 2,389 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Quote Posted by Gwin Ru (here)

That's a heck of a clear, simple graph to show to Greta Thunberg.
    She saw it!

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ewan For This Post:

Bill Ryan (23rd November 2020), Constance (23rd November 2020), Deborah (ahamkara) (23rd November 2020), Dennis Leahy (18th August 2023), Gwin Ru (23rd November 2020), Harmony (18th August 2023), justntime2learn (23rd November 2020), Miller (19th August 2023)

12. Link to Post #467
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,528 times in 32,788 posts

Bumping this thread with a copied post from Helvetic a few hours ago.

Quote Posted by Helvetic (here)
    Antarctica Breaks *MULTIPLE* All-Time Low Temperature Records | Aug. 17, 2023

Source: electroverse.info

"Antarctica is cooling. The data confirm it.

Temperatures at the bottom of the world have routinely broken all-time records in recent times.

Antarctica endured its coldest-ever ‘coreless winter’ (April-Sept) in 2021, then shivered through practically all of 2022, posting colder-than-average month after colder-than-average month, including the coldest November since 1987 and the latest -60C (-76F) on record — with the year culminating in the South Pole Station averaging just -49.5C (-51.7F); -0.4C below the norm.

The historic chill has spilled into 2023, too.

Back in March, the Antarctic continent suffered its coldest ever reading so early into a year; in July it logged Earth’s lowest temperature since 2017; and now, in mid-August, it’s breaking multiple all-time cold records at stations across the continent."

13. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Alan (18th August 2023), aoibhghaire (18th August 2023), Dennis Leahy (18th August 2023), Ewan (19th August 2023), Gwin Ru (18th August 2023), Harmony (18th August 2023), kerrielea (18th August 2023), kudzy (18th August 2023), Mark (Star Mariner) (18th August 2023), mountain_jim (18th August 2023), ronny (18th August 2023), Sunny-side-up (18th August 2023), thepainterdoug (18th August 2023), Tintin (18th August 2023), Yoda (18th August 2023)

14. Link to Post #468
    United States Avalon Member thepainterdoug's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,162 times in 3,159 posts

Bill. so either John ( i dont own a plane, my wife does) Kerry is in the money, or Al (houses galore )Gore is.

They got it covered, as the sheep bow down to anyone on the T V or with a lab coat

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to thepainterdoug For This Post:

aoibhghaire (18th August 2023), Ewan (27th August 2023), Harmony (19th August 2023), Jambo (18th August 2023), Miller (19th August 2023), mountain_jim (18th August 2023), Yoda (18th August 2023)

16. Link to Post #469
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,504 times in 4,311 posts

Interesting new video on the cooling of AMOC (Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation). Of course they manage to insert their usual carbon narrative, but they stay mostly on track by stressing how reduced temperatures in the mid-Atlantic are affecting the stability of the gulf stream, and how this may affect the climate in the (quite near) future, not only in temperate northern Europe, but globally...

Is Earth's Largest Heat Transfer Really Shutting Down?
    With unprecedented heat waves and record-breaking global temperatures, it’s hard to believe that there might be a place on earth that has actually COOLED since the industrial revolution. But, it turns out, there is such a spot. The COLD BLOB off of Greenland mystified scientists for years, but new studies have uncovered a scary reality - this cool patch might be a warning of the impending collapse of a vital earth circulation system. And the consequences would be dire.
    13mins
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Icare (30th August 2023), Michel Leclerc (26th August 2023)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst 1 14 24