Thread: Make your own Petrol/Oil/Kerosene from Plastic

1. Link to Post #21
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,088 times in 20,639 posts

Default Re: Make your own Petrol/Oil/Kerosene from Plastic

Such good news! Recycling plastic into fuel!
    https://idahonews.com/news/local/boi...ing-revolution

"Reporter's Note: Boise is embracing an emerging technology that could forever change recycling. It starts with an orange bag. Residents fill that bag will plastics that used to go to the dump. These are plastics that no recycler wanted. Until now.
    SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (KBOI) At the Renewlogy plant in Salt Lake City I walked along the stacks of baled, plastic trash with company founder, Priyanka Bakaya. I marveled that none of it was headed to the landfill, “So, this is the stuff that other recyclers don’t want?”“Yes,” was her firm answer. Then she hit me with the current state of plastics recycling, “We produce 300-million tons of plastic globally each year and only 9% of it is recycled.”
    Just 9%! I couldn’t believe it. All those years of filling recycling bins, and it still left 91% of plastics going to the landfill. Why?
    The answer is that traditional recyclers only take a certain type of plastic that can be chipped, melted and remolded into some new. Mechanical recycling.
    What Priyanka Bakaya is talking about is a recycling revolution, a process that takes plastics down to the molecular level and turns it into high grade liquid fuel. And she can do it with just about any plastic.
    Sounds like alchemy, but it is actually pyrolysis.
    Here’s how it works:
    Plastics come from petroleum. The pyrolysis technology takes the refining process back a few steps. The plastic is chipped, melted and then vaporized in an oxygen-free chamber. Bakaya explains, "As the plastic comes off in a vapor form from our reaction process, we cool it to different temperatures. And based on the temperatures we cool the plastic vapors, we can make different fuel products.”
    The process is highly efficient. Bakaya says there's almost no waste, “70 to 80% will become this liquid fuel product. Then we get about 20% that’s similar to a natural gas that we recycle and that's what heats the process. Only 1-2% comes out as a dry char that is basically any organics and labels that are left on the plastics.”
    One Renewlogy recycling unit can take ten tons of plastic trash a day and turn it into 2,500 gallons of fuel.
    Bakaya does not want to create a giant plastics-to-fuel recycling center in Salt Lake. Rather, she wants to sell and install recycling units all over the world. “The closer you get to the plastic source, the better it is for the overall sustainability.”
    On the day I visited her plant in Salt Lake, a unit was being prepared for shipment to Nova Scotia, Canada.
    Perhaps one day, it might make sense to set up one in the Treasure Valley. “I think we're going to see how the first few months of this program go and see if it ultimately makes sense to have something located in Boise itself.”
    In the meantime, the orange bags full of plastics will be collected, baled and sent to Salt Lake City where the trash can be turned into fuel.
    “This is a huge opportunity for Boise residents to really feel empowered about what’s in that recycling bin,” said Bakaya. “And they know now that what they're putting into this orange bag, that's going to find a home that's local, it's not just getting shipped off into another country to be somebody else’s problem.
    “Instead of something that was ending up in our landfills and oceans, you now have something that's a usable product.” "

Interview with renewlogy

6 On Your Side
    Published on Feb 8, 2018
    Each breath a gift...

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

ripple (5th January 2019), Seabreeze (5th January 2019)

3. Link to Post #22
    Thanks

Conceptually great but if it is so magnificent , how has the Japanese company fared in the eight years covered by this thread ? How has their operation developed and expanded ?
    That would be instructive to know .
    And then there is the matter of cost and having an independent and detailed break down of all cost areas --- direct and indirect . And have they considered tax implications in their cost break-down ?
    This video blithely mentions near the end that a pay-out can be achieved in 3 to 4 years but this is too general and requires a complete analysis and the underlying scaling cost assumptions being clarified .
    Naturally there might still be a viable market even if the recycling operation runs at a loss versus normally produced oil plus the standard refinements follow -on technology .Even with the net effect on the carbon imprint , such processes could still be deemed viable and very desirable . But this requires bigger decisions and commitments from government or delegated local cost absorption centres .
    Surely all of these areas and many more have been explored in these intervening years .Where are the relevant information sources ?
    My points are rhetorical and it is great to see this general topic have apparent new life .

4. Link to Post #23
    United States Avalon Member Seabreeze's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,293 times in 594 posts

Thumbs up Re: Make your own Petrol/Oil/Kerosene from Plastic

Hey, great and very positive Thread, thank you very much.
    It is totally amazing. How come this is not done all over the place already? It would be a big solution and help to avoid plastic trash in the nature & oceans. I bet the recycling company*s would love to hear this.

Spread the message - I think this is very important....

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Seabreeze For This Post:

onawah (6th January 2019)

6. Link to Post #24
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Whisper (here)
    It is totally amazing. How come this is not done all over the place already? It would be a big solution and help to avoid plastic trash in the nature & oceans. I bet the recycling company*s would love to hear this.

But suppose this method costs $5 a litre compared to your national gas average of 69 cents per litre , as at year end ? And that makes no allowance for any installation costs .
    Who will buy it ?
    I am not convinced that it is as straightforward as you appear to imagine .

7. Link to Post #25
    United States Avalon Member Seabreeze's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,293 times in 594 posts

Everything which could help to clear this planet from the human trash...is positive to me. Think positive ripple.....
    You are thinking in ....which is not the right way. No matter how much it would cost...it could be a solution to keep our nature more clean. If it cost some is less of a problem. I would buy a machine like this, if it would be possible....

Maybe you should think more about mother nature and the wild life getting ruined and killed by the plastic trash, than to think about how this machine could save you money?

I know, they really have a hard time to recycle plastic. Most times it just gets buried or burnt somewhere...which is definitely not the right way.

Last edited by Seabreeze; 5th January 2019 at 21:50.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Seabreeze For This Post:

9. Link to Post #26
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,445 times in 8,541 posts

Quote Posted by ripple (here)

But suppose this method costs $5 a litre compared to your national gas average of 69 cents per litre , as at year end ? And that makes no allowance for any installation costs .
    Who will buy it ?
    69c a litre!? WTH? Our national average is $1.36c/litre CAD ... and we're a major producer of oil ... somethings just not right here ...

Recalculated with the conversion and it's a little closer .. but still I don't know why we as Canadians pay so much for gas, when we are a major oil producer. I also don't get why we pay almost double of everyone else for communication services ... but anyway I digress ...
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 5th January 2019 at 23:34.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

11. Link to Post #27
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,088 times in 20,639 posts

The point is not just the cost of the fuel, but the fact that there is a method of converting the growing plethora of plastic that is taking up so much space and littering the planet, clogging water ways, filling dumps, etc. into something useful.
    When you consider the overall costs to the planet and humankind of fracking and drilling and the seismic and volcanic activity it is contributing to, the waterways it is polluting, which we are all paying for in one way or another, the higher cost of a more sustainable fuel makes sense, even though it may take time before it is marketable.
    Quote Posted by DeDukshyn (here)

Who will buy it ?
    69c a litre!? WTH? Our national average is $1.36c/litre CAD ... and we're a major producer of oil ... somethings just not right here ...

Recalculated with the conversion and it's a little closer .. but still I don't know why we as Canadians pay so much for gas, when we are a major oil producer. I also don't get why we pay almost double of everyone else for communication services ... but anyway I digress ...
    Each breath a gift...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to onawah For This Post:

DeDukshyn (6th January 2019)

13. Link to Post #28
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,445 times in 8,541 posts

Quote Posted by onawah (here)
    The point is not just the cost of the fuel, but the fact that there is a method of converting the growing plethora of plastic that is taking up so much space and littering the planet, clogging water ways, filling dumps, etc. into something useful.
    When you consider the overall costs to the planet and humankind of fracking and drilling and the seismic and volcanic activity it is contributing to, the waterways it is polluting, which we are all paying for in one way or another, the higher cost of a more sustainable fuel makes sense, even though it may take time before it is marketable.
    Quote Posted by DeDukshyn (here)

Who will buy it ?

(back to the main topic) ...
    Totally agree, and when a new method for something starts it always starts off expensive, and the costs come down as traction with the new technology is gained. Buying into new tech early can be a bit risky, but if the technology is desired and viable, such action works toward bringing the cost down ...

Unfortunately I am sure that being able to get fuel from plastic is nothing new, but the oil giants don't want anyone recycling their products and eating into their profits ...
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

15. Link to Post #29
    Thanks

Quote Posted by DeDukshyn;1267916
    69c a litre!? WTH? Our national average is $1.36c/litre CAD ... and we're a [I

major [/I]producer of oil ... somethings just not right here ...

Source is GlobalPetrolPrices.com . But the same point applies equally whatever the US price ( petrol as distinct from diesel or LPG )and for the sake of argument up to $4.50, and when and if the new method costs $5.00 per litre . Obviously actual market costs will be the ruling comparison .
    And to Whisper , if you want a roof over your head and wish to have food and drink you need people who assess the hard basic economic facts of life to make those goals achievable . I feel as strongly as anybody about the mess we throw around and the disastrous implications to the planet . I applaud this type off research . But that is the easy bit imho .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2