Thread: Oil pulling

1. Link to Post #21
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 times in 375 posts

Default Re: Oil pulling

Quote Posted by caren (here)
    Thank you Tigger, that was funny and I am going to try it too.
    Just make sure you only try the 'oil swishing' part. Try not to sneeze with a mouthful of oil. It took forever to get it out of my nose!

2. Link to Post #22
    United States Avalon Member Snowbird's Avatar
    The CORPORATION of the United States of America
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,498 times in 1,082 posts

Quote Posted by Tigger (here)
    Day two of my oil pulling experience:

I woke up this morning yearning for my usual two glasses of nice, cool filtered water. Realised at the last minute that I have to swish a tablespoon of my room mate’s sesame oil around in my mouth for 20 minutes before I can drink anything. Mood drops.

Wander into kitchen. Greet my room mate who is busy making breakfast. Room mate watches curiously as I wordlessly take the sesame oil, pour some into a tablespoon and put it in my mouth.

Swish, swish, swish… Gag reflex not so bad this time. Room mate is looking at me as if I’m a loony. I figure that the best thing to do when faced with a difficult social situation is to flee. I decide to go outside into the garden to greet the spring morning – still swishing a mouthful of odious gooey liquid.

It’s a beautiful spring morning. Lots of flowers are out, and the sunshine is nice and warm. My mood lifts. I decide that swishing this stupid oil around in my mouth is not such a bad thing – as long as the neighbours can’t see what the heck I am doing. I take a nice deep breath… Big mistake.

Warm spring air flows sweetly through my nostrils, along with several thousand pollen grains. I stop swishing. Eyes begin to water. I stand there, completely isolated from anything even remotely resembling a sink or a toilet. Uh-oh – sneeze is coming. I try my best to hold it in. It doesn’t work. Sneeze explodes out of my face, forcing oil through my nose and mouth and all over my prized orchids.

I hear uncontrollable laughter coming from the kitchen window. My room mate. I’m too embarrassed to go inside but I must – I have to wipe all this oil off my face. At least I didn’t gag this time.
    I haven't as yet tried oil pulling, but it will be my up and coming health stunt.

I laughed so hard at Tigger's description that I choked. I've never had sesame oil oozing from my nostrils. I just can't wait to try it....not!
    We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.
    Plato

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

3. Link to Post #23
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,146 times in 2,998 posts

I usually do it while in the shower. Oil pulling has credibility from all manner of sources, so everyone try it.

4. Link to Post #24
    Thanks

I'm definitely giving this a shot in the morning. I love the taste of Tahini and Chinese food, so gargling sesame oil shouldn't be too harsh
    In Lak'ech Ala K'in

5. Link to Post #25
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,500 times in 430 posts

Quote Posted by Solphilos (here)
    I'm definitely giving this a shot in the morning. I love the taste of Tahini and Chinese food, so gargling sesame oil shouldn't be too harsh
    Now that I remember, sesame oil shouldn't taste too bad.

Also, why isn't this technique more mainstream? You'll have to forgive me for exercising a bit more skepticism.

6. Link to Post #26
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Day three of my new journey to the bottom of the sesame oil bottle…

I wake early. I have a bit more energy this morning and can open both eyes instead of just one. Must have been all that oil up my nose yesterday. I look longingly at the glass of water next to my bed. I resolve not to give into temptation and instead shuffle sleepily into the kitchen.

I greet my room mate who is once again cheerily cooking breakfast. I can smell all sorts of yummy Asian spices and can see that he is cooking…. WANTON SOUP! My favourite!! I make a glad noise and lean towards the pot and sniff.

Pain explodes at the back of my head as room mate slaps my head away from his breakfast. I glare at him sullenly while I steal his sesame oil, grab a tablespoon and proceed to pour…

Room mate must have remembered what happened yesterday. He shoos me outside into the garden. It isn’t so warm this morning. I don’t feel all that happy about the day so far. I sit grumpily on the back step outside the kitchen door and swish the oily concoction with lacklustre enthusiasm.

Swish… Swish…

I’m thirsty and hungry and cold. And I have sesame oil in my mouth.

Swish…

I make it all the way to 15 minutes this morning. No gag reflex. No sneezes. I come back inside and proudly spit the contents of my mouth into the kitchen sink. Pain explodes at the back of my head again. Room mate does not approve of what I am doing with the oil, nor with his sink. Why is it suddenly his sink? I am about to say something but as soon as I open my mouth I realise I haven’t rinsed the oil out yet. Room mate gives me a disgusted look and leaves the kitchen, leaving the unguarded pot of delicious breakfast on the stove.

My fortune, it seems has suddenly undergone a dramatic turn for the better. I am suddenly wide awake, scheming and plotting over the unguarded treasure which is right before my greedy little eyes. I can hear room mate in the shower. It’s now or never!

I take a small bowl of soup form the pot and taste it expectantly. It tastes like sesame oil. I take a sip of water, which also tastes like sesame oil.

Tigger sadly discovers that his new morning ritual is going to ruin his relationship with breakfast. It also seems to have changed the relationship with room mate

7. Link to Post #27
    Thanks

Quote Posted by blackatiam (here)
    Wow! talk about synchronicity. I just started oil pulling last week after discovering it on www.earthclinic.com. It's good to know how to help the body heal itself.
    The 'earthclinic' site is wonderful. It is filled with testimonials from real people as they describe their results using different types of oils. Really good information!

I oil pulled for the first time today. This is extremely interesting method for improved health.

I have started out using sesame oil, organic, unrefined and expeller pressed. I have no testimonial as yet, but I will say that it really is no big deal. I did not gargle because it is explained that the stuff that is pulled, is not anything that you want to swallow. Keep the oil and the saliva and the bad bacteria in the mouth. I have learned after having read the two sites, that you can rinse with water and a little hydrogen peroxide or a water and baking soda/salt solution.

One of the suggestions in the site above, is that for one week every three months, you add one drop of Oregano oil...not just oregano oil, but oil of Wild Oregano which is a natural antibiotic from Mother Earth. It was stated that regular oregano oil is actually Marjoram which does not have any of the healing properties as the Wild Oregano. And, low and behold, I have a bottle of the wild in my refrig which I bought a few months ago and have not opened yet. Solaray makes this and a 1 fl. oz. bottle costs $22.00. Not something that you want to waste.

I get excited about procedures like oil pulling because I think that into the not too distant future, we will need all of the little helpers that we can come upon.

Thanks Blackatiam for that great site!
    We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.
    Plato

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

8. Link to Post #28
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,403 times in 414 posts

Quote I have started out using sesame oil, organic, unrefined and expeller pressed.
    Me too...not a bad taste...tho 15-20 mins is a while...I get a tired mouth, maybe im to vigirous

Ross

9. Link to Post #29
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Ross (here)
    Me too...not a bad taste...tho 15-20 mins is a while...I get a tired mouth, maybe im to vigirous

Ross
    Ross, gently swish. I was doing the dishes while Oil Pulling and the time passed really quickly.
    Plato

Martin Luther King, Jr.

10. Link to Post #30
    Thanks

good advice...i will try and be more gentle...i start in the shower...when I got out I lost a bit dribbling out of my mouth onto my cat...he wasnt amused

Ross

11. Link to Post #31
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Ross (here)
    good advice...i will try and be more gentle...i start in the shower...when I got out I lost a bit dribbling out of my mouth onto my cat...he wasnt amused

Ross
    LOL! Poor kitty! We just have to wonder about the REAL true stories surrounding oil pulling. You have to admit that it is rather difficult to swish oil around in your mouth for a full 20 minutes without a dribble here and there. Tigger's ongoing online OP journal will one day become a classic.

Does anyone know how oil pulling got its start? It is a really strange procedure and yet there are professional people who swear by it. If it works, I'm all for it.
    Plato

Martin Luther King, Jr.

12. Link to Post #32
    Thanks

I do know in India they swish oil for dental/gum hygeine

Ross

13. Link to Post #33
    Canada Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,618 times in 479 posts

Quote Posted by Snowbird (here)
    ...Does anyone know how oil pulling got its start? It is a really strange procedure and yet there are professional people who swear by it. If it works, I'm all for it.
    It originated in the Ayurvedic ancient knowledge.

"Oils such as sesame and sunflower oil are extensively used in ayurvedic medicine. Studies show that both these oils contain substantial amount of linoleate in triglyceride form. Oils rich in linoleic acid may have antineoplastic properties."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayurveda

http://www.naturalnews.com/027460_de...l_pulling.html

Namaste, Steven

14. Link to Post #34
    France Avalon Member Elandiel BernElve's Avatar
    Thanks

Cool story Tigger!

You convinced me to make a fool of myself as well
    Capitaine Elandiel BernElve
    Lightwarrior

15. Link to Post #35
    Netherlands Avalon Retired Member Victoria Tintagel's Avatar
    Thanks

Hey Tigger, thanks for the laughs, great storyteller you are....I am smiling 7 smiles here, ha ha ha..... as I am allowed "only 7 here"
    So good! Tint.

16. Link to Post #36
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,421 times in 32,918 posts

Hi, Guys:

I've never ever heard of this before. Fascinating. Trying it immediately - using sunflower oil which is to hand. (My body has just told me it would prefer sesame...!)

Will report back in 20 mins.

[ - report back - ]

23 mins with sunflower oil, then rinsed with food-grade (3%) hydrogen peroxide, available very cheaply from Safeway in the US. No problem at all: very simple and comfortable. I'll certainly continue for a while to see what happens.

I looked up this very data-rich and interesting page...

http://earthclinic.com/Remedies/oil_pulling.html

MUST READ.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 27th September 2010 at 13:52.

17. Link to Post #37
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,831 times in 304 posts

Hi Ross, great your hanging in there, I laughed about you dribbling on your poor cat. I have started and am trying hard not to 'dribble' on anyone...so far so good I'm happy to say!

18. Link to Post #38
    Language
    English
    Thanks

On a more serious note everyone, I’ve noticed that something is definitely happening by following this ritual. Apart from the grumpy room mate, it seems as though toxins are being drawn out through the saliva glands. Can somebody confirm if this is what is supposed to happen?

For the past week I have been feeling a lot brighter and much more energetic. Meditation has been easier and with more clarity. I sleep better and can think more clearly in the morning. Its definitely worth trying folks!

Unfortunately I wrecked it all last weekend (my room-mate’s birthday party) so I guess I will have to start all over again.

And about the weekend? Yes, there is a story about that one too – a story that must be told, because only Tigger could do something this stupid:

The Morning After the Night Before…

I unglue my eyes and prise them open. Bright sunlight sears heartlessly through my swollen eyeballs, burning the back of my brain. I knew that I shouldn’t have stayed up drinking with room-mate last night.

I want water! Sweet, fresh, delicious water! I reach for the glass. Stop! Must do oil swishing first.

Stagger to kitchen, knocking off all the pictures along the hallway wall. Find oil. Grab spoon. Pour oil. Decide it works better if I pour oil in spoon, not on floor. Put oily spoon in mouth…

As far as I understand it, there is often some degree of warning before a nuclear explosion occurs. An air-raid siren perhaps. Maybe an early warning system which warns you that something decidedly nasty is about to come swooping in out of the clouds and ruin your day. Life, it seems is not always that ideal…

Tigger is grateful he decided to stand next to sink when swishing oil. Oil immediately comes gushing out of mouth, heading for sink. So does the contents of Tigger’s tummy. Fortunately, room mate is not in kitchen, so Tigger escapes the dubious honour of making a public fool of himself for the second time in a week. Thankfully, no slap on the back of the head from room-mate this time because room-mate is still in bed.

So be warned. Oil swishing poses a serious health hazard when practised during Hangover. They should put a warning label on every sesame oil bottle. “Caution: Do not use when observing Hangover”.

Like I said, only Tigger is dumb enough to do something like this.

19. Link to Post #39
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    I looked up this very data-rich and interesting page...

http://earthclinic.com/Remedies/oil_pulling.html

MUST READ.
    Yes, I can vouch for these positive effects. However I could also sense my body was trying to eliminate more toxins following the exercise - I was salivating significantly for several minutes afterwards.

My body seemed to respond very well to the treatment and I will continue to do the oil pulling ritual every morning.

20. Link to Post #40
    Netherlands Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 times in 408 posts

Quote Posted by Celine (here)
    This is very interesting...
    What affect does this have on the gag reflex?
    I have tried this oil pulling last year for a couple of weeks...
    But as Celine said after a couple of weeks I started gagging. Especially in the morning, so I quit.
    I did with sunflower-oil, maybe another oil will work better, suggestions...?

The oil becoming white in your mouth is not because of toxins, its a normal process when you mix water with oil.
    i'm not saying there are no toxins being pulled out..........

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 4 LastLast