Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Chapel Perilous

1. Link to Post #21
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,308 times in 5,717 posts

Default Re: Chapel Perilous

Quote Posted by enfoldedblue (here)
    Delight:

To me this raises an important point about synchronicity. When we are coming from a place of hurt, of victim, and we open that door within us to the wider reality, it can appear that the whole world is conspiring against us. But, if we enter that space from a strong, balanced, healthy perspective, it can feel as though the whole universe is conspiring to bring magic and beauty in to our world.
    I think you nailed it...The Flyer on the door of Chapel Perilous says the truth.....
    Quote (Inside Chapel Perilous) there doesn't seem to be any way to ever get out again, until you suddenly discover that it has been brought into existence by thought and does not exist outside thought. Everything you fear is waiting with slavering jaws in Chapel Perilous, but if you are armed with the wand of intuition, the cup of sympathy, the sword of reason, and the pentacle of valor, you will find there (the legends say) the Medicine of Metals, the Elixir of Life, the Philosopher's Stone, True Wisdom and Perfect Happiness.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

enfoldedblue (17th March 2013), Hazel (18th March 2013), thunder24 (18th March 2013)

3. Link to Post #22
    Thanks
    Thanked 77,650 times in 8,595 posts

RAW's writings were a major influence in helping me interpret and put into context my self-induced shamanistic experiences

When 'advertising' in a local free paper's personal ads for my longed-for life partner 19 years ago, I listed Castenada and Wilson as major author-influences, and it was funny how matched our book collections were when we combined them, after we found each other, as she had been majorly influenced by RAW also.

I have had quotes of his in my sigs for most of my internet persona existence.

Nice thread.
    Last edited by mountain_jim; 17th March 2013 at 16:04.
    I don't believe anything, but I have many suspicions. - Robert Anton Wilson

The present as you think of it, and in practical working terms, is that point at which you select your physical experience from all those events that could be materialized. - Seth (The Nature of Personal Reality - Session 656, Page 293)

(avatar image: Brocken spectre, a wonderful phenomenon of nature I have experienced and a symbol for my aspirations.)

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mountain_jim For This Post:

Delight (17th March 2013), earthdreamer (5th March 2021), enfoldedblue (17th March 2013), onawah (18th March 2013)

5. Link to Post #23
    Australia Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,574 times in 692 posts

mountain_jim..

I am intrigued to know what you mean by "self-induced shamanic experiences".. are you up for sharing that?
    If not, fine of course.. just that theres a synchronistic sap rising within me as a response to that.. chuckle

But then perhaps you mean self-induced trance states via drugs.. and you may not consider this to be the place to relate such..
    Last edited by Hazel; 18th March 2013 at 01:38.

6. Link to Post #24
    UK Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Posting these to keep a very important thread subject going, and stoke the flames of Uncle BoB's camp fire.

Come back Bob. Please!
    Last edited by Bryston; 13th May 2013 at 23:48.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bryston For This Post:

enfoldedblue (15th April 2013), heyokah (8th May 2013)

8. Link to Post #25
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,819 times in 768 posts

I've heard him speak once or twice, but am not versed in his writings. Similarly I'm unfamiliar with 'Chapel Perilous', as this thread is the first time I've ever heard of that, but I like his prescription;
    armed with the wand of intuition, the cup of sympathy, the sword of reason, and the pentacle of valor.

Mountain Jim, I'm also curious about your shamanic endeavors, and how you were able to 'self-induce' them. And, if they actually were drug-induced, I don't see that as any less valid, necessarily.
    Mercy, forgiveness, and compassion are the most virtuous forms of love
    Let your heart not be hardened by injustice and tribulation

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Freed Fox For This Post:

enfoldedblue (16th April 2013)

10. Link to Post #26
    UK Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Freed Fox (here)
    I've heard him speak once or twice, but am not versed in his writings. Similarly I'm unfamiliar with 'Chapel Perilous', as this thread is the first time I've ever heard of that, but I like his prescription;
    armed with the wand of intuition, the cup of sympathy, the sword of reason, and the pentacle of valor.
    Not too sure about the history of the term, but the way I see the term Chapel Perilous is like............er................................ ....hang on.............yeh...................... got it.

Its a collective term encompassing the place Physical or Metaphysical, or both depending on the nature of the individuals experience. Where the initial structured working hypothesis of reality, belief system, or phenomena a person is enmeshed, subject too, or simply interested in. Begins to interact with the individual in unexpected ways, and thus loosen the previously robust solid dependable truths upon which that person relied to function in life.

So, for instance, UFO abduction, Shamanic experience, paranormal research experiences, repeatedly shopping at Tescos after 12am, moment of divine revelation, channeling of other worldly intelligences, continued conspiracy research, Simon Cowel, a Jesuit becoming Pope,...........pretty much most of the topics on the forum.

Some people enter the Chapel and never leave, some hang around outside hustling the punters, some flit in and out, and some believe they own the joint. Which ever way you look at it its a handy term of admiration, and criticism simultaneously depending on which Tabernacle you find yourself standing in front of when you get in there. Or something like that..

In essence its a term that does not foster definitive truths in a topic of interest, or experience perceived. More accurately it invites an ongoing creative dialogue. It introduces a MAYBE into proceedings.

Praise Uncle BoB

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bryston For This Post:

enfoldedblue (16th April 2013), Freed Fox (16th April 2013), Journeyman (4th March 2021), Lisab (7th May 2013)

12. Link to Post #27
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,140 times in 1,005 posts

Thanks Bryston for your contributions. Unfortunately as I live remotely I do not have access to high speed internet and thus cannot watch videos ....maybe one day.

For those who are part of the modern world....enjoy

13. The Following User Says Thank You to enfoldedblue For This Post:

Bryston (16th April 2013)

14. Link to Post #28
    Thanks

(Inside Chapel Perilous) there doesn't seem to be any way to ever get out again, until you suddenly discover that it has been brought into existence by thought and does not exist outside thought. Everything you fear is waiting with slavering jaws in Chapel Perilous, but if you are armed with the wand of intuition, the cup of sympathy, the sword of reason, and the pentacle of valor, you will find there (the legends say) the Medicine of Metals, the Elixir of Life, the Philosopher's Stone, True Wisdom and Perfect Happiness.
    I have been considering something based on Cosmic Trigger(which did profoundly effect my understanding) but also the consideration that consciousness is the original ground of appearance. I have read so many books about concepts of parallel Universe, the application of quantum theory to the macro level of experience, etc.

In a fractal Universe where "As above, so below; As within so without" shows myriads of interrelating similarities, well....

And if the concepts that the Universe is "inside" us is true...

then it seems that the most significant application at the moment is taking on acting out of the belief structure that each of us "humans" is a "parallel universe" all inhabiting the "same" space.

This is very practical as I navigate the mirror world I see reflected.

It seems quite logical to me that it is the time (the sense of time) NOW to use the knowledge with complete insistence. I think that the choice to "agree" or "disagree" (substituting the imaginative preference) with mental constructs and mental conceptualizations "seen in the world" is the mediator of all my "happenings".

So if one can really actually know that nothing is capable of affecting me EXCEPT where I agree to participate, sincerely dwell upon my own imaginative creations, stop engaging in low vibration rumination, give up the seeking of approval, start releasing all the reactive fear thought that want to control and secure the "picture" (such as worry that the world as observed is anything more than the echo of an agreement that can be altered), then what?

What I have been "seeing" is that apart from the writings and the videos on the internet, my own world is pleasant, supportive and full of compassionate and creative elements. I know that I expect this to be so. That is correlated with a decisoon I made that I am responsible.

If it is indeed the case that we expand what is focused and correlate to what is felt and experience what is "within", that makes a completely new world.

I want to hang out with the other people willing to commit these concepts to a test, so I am meeting those willing to accept this challenge. It is not that I have mastered the protocol but again, taking the protocol seriously has focused its own reflection.
    Last edited by Delight; 6th May 2013 at 16:44.

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

Bryston (6th May 2013), donk (6th May 2013), enfoldedblue (8th May 2013), Fred Steeves (7th May 2013), Freed Fox (6th May 2013), Journeyman (4th March 2021), mountain_jim (7th May 2013)

16. Link to Post #29
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,349 times in 2,716 posts

I'll have to check that one out--it made me immediately think of the "clockworks", described by Tom Robbins in "Even Cowgirls Get the Blues"...I pulled this quote about it:

“Take now the clockworks... The clockworks, being genuine and not much to look at, don't generate the drama of an Earth-tilt or a flying saucer, nor do they seem to offer any immediate panacea for humanity's fifty-seven varieties of heartburn. But suppose that you're one of those persons who feels trapped, to some degree, trapped matrimonially, occupationally, eductionally or geographically, or trapped in something larger than all those; trapped in a system, or what you might describe as an "increasingly deadening technocracy" or a "theater of paranoia and desperation" or something like that. Now, if you are one of those persons... wouldn't the very knowledge that there are clockworks ticking away behind the wallpaper of civilization, unbeknownst to leaders, organizers and managers (the President included), wouldn't that knowledge, suggesting as it does the possibility of unimaginable alternatives, wouldn't that knowledge be a bubble bath for your heart?”

But my favorite is from quote from that is:

“I believe in everything; nothing is sacred. I believe in nothing; everything is sacred. Ha Ha Ho Ho Hee Hee.”

17. Link to Post #30
    UK Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Cool Re: Chapel Perilous

Quote Posted by donk (here)

“Take now the clockworks... The clockworks, being genuine and not much to look at, don't generate the drama of an Earth-tilt or a flying saucer, nor do they seem to offer any immediate panacea for humanity's fifty-seven varieties of heartburn. But suppose that you're one of those persons who feels trapped, to some degree, trapped matrimonially, occupationally, educationally or geographically, or trapped in something larger than all those; trapped in a system, or what you might describe as an "increasingly deadening technocracy" or a "theater of paranoia and desperation" or something like that. Now, if you are one of those persons... wouldn't the very knowledge that there are clockworks ticking away behind the wallpaper of civilization, unbeknownst to leaders, organizers and managers (the President included), wouldn't that knowledge, suggesting as it does the possibility of unimaginable alternatives, wouldn't that knowledge be a bubble bath for your heart?”
    Tremendous. A great description of an essential head space. No matter what the control mechanisms of the leash holders, reality still illudes them.

Praise donk
    Last edited by Bryston; 6th May 2013 at 18:10.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bryston For This Post:

Delight (6th May 2013), enfoldedblue (8th May 2013), heyokah (8th May 2013), Journeyman (4th March 2021)

19. Link to Post #31
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,140 times in 1,005 posts

Quote Posted by Delight (here)

(Inside Chapel Perilous) there doesn't seem to be any way to ever get out again, until you suddenly discover that it has been brought into existence by thought and does not exist outside thought. Everything you fear is waiting with slavering jaws in Chapel Perilous, but if you are armed with the wand of intuition, the cup of sympathy, the sword of reason, and the pentacle of valor, you will find there (the legends say) the Medicine of Metals, the Elixir of Life, the Philosopher's Stone, True Wisdom and Perfect Happiness.
    I have been considering something based on Cosmic Trigger(which did profoundly effect my understanding) but also the consideration that consciousness is the original ground of appearance. I have read so many books about concepts of parallel Universe, the application of quantum theory to the macro level of experience, etc.

In a fractal Universe where "As above, so below; As within so without" shows myriads of interrelating similarities, well....

And if the concepts that the Universe is "inside" us is true...

then it seems that the most significant application at the moment is taking on acting out of the belief structure that each of us "humans" is a "parallel universe" all inhabiting the "same" space.

This is very practical as I navigate the mirror world I see reflected.

It seems quite logical to me that it is the time (the sense of time) NOW to use the knowledge with complete insistence. I think that the choice to "agree" or "disagree" (substituting the imaginative preference) with mental constructs and mental conceptualizations "seen in the world" is the mediator of all my "happenings".

So if one can really actually know that nothing is capable of affecting me EXCEPT where I agree to participate, sincerely dwell upon my own imaginative creations, stop engaging in low vibration rumination, give up the seeking of approval, start releasing all the reactive fear thought that want to control and secure the "picture" (such as worry that the world as observed is anything more than the echo of an agreement that can be altered), then what?

What I have been "seeing" is that apart from the writings and the videos on the internet, my own world is pleasant, supportive and full of compassionate and creative elements. I know that I expect this to be so. That is correlated with a decisoon I made that I am responsible.

If it is indeed the case that we expand what is focused and correlate to what is felt and experience what is "within", that makes a completely new world.

I want to hang out with the other people willing to commit these concepts to a test, so I am meeting those willing to accept this challenge. It is not that I have mastered the protocol but again, taking the protocol seriously has focused its own reflection.
    Thanks for this delight. This feels right to me. We are each a universe that has forgotten it is a universe because we have given away our true power by focusing on an external dialogue that is designed to keep us in a state of perpetual amnesia (and perpetual insecurities...constantly needing external validation). The more we are able to resist buying into the external pressures and learn to reconnect and operate from our own internal centerpoint, the freer and more powerful we become...ultimately returning to complete autonomy. ...owww my head hurts now . I think the biggest challenge is the fact that we have accepted the state of division (separation) ( ie we belive the whole us and them world view)...But when we shift our perception and start to see the world as a mirror (the good the bad and the ugly) we begin to have a more 'real' perspective...and from this point we can begin to make real changes that will be reflected in our experience of external reality.

I have also found that the more I heal my internal state the more beauty creativity, fun and love I experience in my outer world. Ahhhhhh such a fascinating journey!!!

Thanks

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to enfoldedblue For This Post:

Bryston (8th May 2013), Fred Steeves (8th May 2013), greybeard (8th May 2013), heyokah (10th May 2013), Journeyman (4th March 2021)

21. Link to Post #32
    UK Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Who is the Master who makes the grass green.

At the end of the valley of decisions there is always choice. Reality is what you can get away with.
    All Hail the Bob Emoticon

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Bryston For This Post:

heyokah (14th May 2013)

23. Link to Post #33
    Thanks

I am bumping the thread on Chapel Perilous as many may just be approaching the door now?

Robert Anton Wilson ~ Maybe Logic

Quote Robert Anton Wilson is a man who has passed through the trials of chapel perilous and found himself on wondrous ground where nothing is for certain, even the treasured companionship of a six-foot-tall white rabbit. Featuring RAW video spanning 25 years and the best of over 100 hours of footage thoroughly tweaked, transmuted and regenerated, Maybe Logic follows a reality labyrinth which leads through the hollows of human perception to the vast star fields of Sirius where we find one man alone, joyfully accepting his status as Damned Old Crank and Cosmic Schmuck. Beaming with insight, frustration, compassion, and unshakable optimism, the ever-open eye of Robert Anton Wilson penetrates human illusions exposing the mathematical probabilities and spooky synchronicities of the 8 dimensions of his reality tunnel.
    Quote "Engaging..." - Variety

"I have learned more from Robert Anton Wilson that I have from any other source." - George Carlin

This feature-length documentary is a hilarious and mind-bending journey into the multi-dimensional life of Robert Anton Wilson, one of the foundations of 20th Century Western counterculture and author of the Illuminatus! Trilogy. It features video spanning 25 years and follows Mr.Wilson as he penetrates human illusions, exposing the mathematical probabilities and spooky synchronicities of the eight dimensions of his Universe.

Featuring Tom Robbins, Douglas Rushkoff , R.U. Sirius, Rev. Ivan Stang and Paul Krassner and a sound track by Boards of Canada, Amon Tobin, Pullman, Tarentel, Animals on Wheels, Funki Porcini, and The Cinematic Orchestra.

Winner of Best Documentary Audience Award at the 2004 San Francisco Independent Film Festival.

Rob Brezsny understands Chapel Perilous' tricks. Fear is the polar of love and one can transmute Paranoia to pronoia. As we eat the dark fears they become nourishment. Believe it or not.

Rob quotes another Pronoiaic

Quote MAKE THE INVISIBLE DARK FORCE BEAUTIFUL

Make the invisible dark force beautiful. Create a song out of your moans.
    Brag about your wounds. Dance reverently on the graves of your enemies.
    Sneak a gift to your bad self. Dissolve the ties that bind you to hollow
    intelligence.

Train yourself in the art of unpredictability. Play forever in time's blessing.
    Lift up your heart unto the wild sun. Distribute your favors to the little
    ones who can never pay you back. Fall out of love with fear. Make
    beautiful messes in the midst of ugly messes.

Anything I missed?

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Kenneth Patchen suggests:

1. Discourage all traces of shame.
    2. Bear no cross.
    3. Extend all boundaries.
    4. Blush perpetually in gaping innocence.
    5. Burrow beneath the subconscious.
    6. Pass from one world to another in carefree devotion.
    7. Exhaust the primitive.
    8. Generate the free brain.
    9. Forego no succulent filth.
    10. Verify the irrational.
    11. Acquire a sublime reputation.
    12. Make one monster at least.
    13. Multiply all opinions.
    14. Inhabit everyone.
    Sound slightly unsavory and certainly uncivilized? Seem illogical and lacking definition? You betcha.
    Last edited by Delight; 8th January 2015 at 19:54.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

earthdreamer (5th March 2021), heyokah (9th January 2015)

25. Link to Post #34
    Thanks

Bumping (around in) Chapel Perilous

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

earthdreamer (5th March 2021), Journeyman (4th March 2021)

27. Link to Post #35
    United States Avalon Member earthdreamer's Avatar
    Thanks

Long time fan of Robert Anton Wilson , since late 1980’s, early 1990’s, (sorry I’m not checking out video now ) Eric Davis “High Weirdness “ was excellent intellectual examination of his work/influence in conjunction with Philip K Dick and Terrance McKenna https://www.amazon.com/High-Weirdnes.../dp/1907222766
    I found this book by accident from a coincidental association last winter from a thread about “The Rose of Paracelsus”.
    Please forgive my briefness here, I am only on my phone but the mention of R.A.W. throws sparks

28. Link to Post #36
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,212 times in 1,146 posts

I think I gave up on The Illuminatus Trilogy roughly two thirds in. I say think because this is many years ago. I'm not sure why I stopped, but I do recall being a little frustrated by it, whilst still enjoying the various concepts and theories that were being expounded within it. I think I admired it more than I enjoyed it? Regardless, I kept it and it was always on a 'must finish that' one day.

Last summer in lockdown I had another go and had the same feeling. There was much there to admire but I didn't feel compelled by it. I think it's that I don't need those concepts to be introduced to me via a madcap, fast paced thriller narrative, so perhaps Cosmic Trigger is a better way to get RAW's take?

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Journeyman For This Post:

earthdreamer (5th March 2021)

30. Link to Post #37
    United States Avalon Member earthdreamer's Avatar
    Thanks

Just watched "Chapel Perilous" video link provided by Delight. I definitely resonate with the doubtful outlook, where certitude is actually more perilous than admitting not knowing.

"Illuminatus Trilogy" was also my first introduction to Robert Anton Wilson led to me by a fringe character. Reading it in '89 was fun, today I also would probably find it a bit tiresome. Back then I collected R.A.W.'s other work, which I really got into at the time, his musing essays being very inspirational to mind expansion, more direct than the metaphors of fiction. "Cosmic Trigger" volumes would be a fine way to get into R.A.W.'s mental explorations. Again, I have to praise Eric Davis' book "High Weirdness" for a detailed analysis of R.A.W. (among P.K. Dick and T. McKenna), authors who tested the outer limits of sanity to pierce the veils of multiple realities and truths.

Btw, I happened to meet my spouse back in '95 because of our common interest in R.A.W. and Castenada .

These crazy times where truth and fiction can hardly be separated seem sprung from the wildest dreams of R.A.W. and other psychedelic psychonauts from the last century. It's like our whole culture has entered "Chapel Perilous"!

Just to add info about Eric Davis book copied from the amazon page:
    High Weirdness: Drugs, Esoterica, and Visionary Experience in the Seventies

A study of the spiritual provocations to be found in the work of Philip K. Dick, Terence McKenna, and Robert Anton Wilson, High Weirdness charts the emergence of a new psychedelic spirituality that arose from the American counterculture of the 1970s. These three authors changed the way millions of readers thought, dreamed, and experienced reality―but how did their writings reflect, as well as shape, the seismic cultural shifts taking place in America?

In High Weirdness, Erik Davis―America's leading scholar of high strangeness―examines the published and unpublished writings of these vital, iconoclastic thinkers, as well as their own life-changing mystical experiences. Davis explores the complex lattice of the strange that flowed through America's West Coast at a time of radical technological, political, and social upheaval to present a new theory of the weird as a viable mode for a renewed engagement with reality.
    Last edited by earthdreamer; 5th March 2021 at 02:57. Reason: adding author notes

31. The Following User Says Thank You to earthdreamer For This Post:

Journeyman (5th March 2021)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2