+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 6 7 LastLast

Thread: The Vegetarian Myth

1. Link to Post #101
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,204 times in 1,394 posts

Default Re: The Vegetarian Myth

Quote Posted by Wind (here)
    ...Debating might be entertaining for a while, but ultimately it doesn't lead to anywhere...
    Certainly debating can be fun but, regardless of the entertainment factor, ultimately it most certainly does lead somewhere. Just ask anyone who changed their diet through observing or listening to such debates..... not to mention that if this thread had been left dormant, we wouldn't have been blessed with Agape's recent gem of a post to name but one.

...Personally I care about animals a lot and that's why I'm mostly a vegetarian. I too feel a lot better without meat...
    which begs the obvious question.........

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Agape (15th August 2013)

3. Link to Post #102
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Akasha (here)
    Quote Posted by SGT-BONES
    .... life is a journey and ALL experiences are valid/purposeful.
    If I killed you the experience might be "valid/purposeful" to me in the sense that I would hopefully learn remorse etc... but you'd still be dead!
    Yeah, well, what if one of the reasons for my coming here was to teach you that very lesson?

... I'm certain the higher aspect/s of myself would be quite okay with that.

We are not our bodies you know... spirit is eternal.

Ever heard of soul contracts/agreements??
    Last edited by Sgt-Bones; 15th August 2013 at 11:34.

4. Link to Post #103
    Thanks

Quote Posted by SGT-BONES (here)
    If I killed you the experience might be "valid/purposeful" to me in the sense that I would hopefully learn remorse etc... but you'd still be dead!
    Yeah, well, what if one of the reasons for my coming here was to teach you that very lesson?

I'm relieved to hear that but can you speak for all the slaughtered animals for which the metaphor was intended?

No, have you got any evidence for such things?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

RMorgan (15th August 2013), Sgt-Bones (15th August 2013)

6. Link to Post #104
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,968 times in 7,673 posts

Certainly debating can be fun but, regardless of the entertainment factor, ultimately it most certainly does lead somewhere. Just ask anyone who changed their diet through observing or listening to such debates..... not to mention that if this thread had been left dormant, we wouldn't have been blessed with Agape's recent gem of a post to name but one.
    Well, personally I just don't really like debates since I usually just get an unpleasant feeling from them. You can't really force other people to change their views even if you are passionate about the subject. It only creates more friction. I'm just thankful for my own observations and choices.

Quote which begs the obvious question.........
    The question being?
    "When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." ~ George Harrison

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wind For This Post:

Akasha (15th August 2013)

8. Link to Post #105
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Agape (here)
    P.S. It's a real problem . To communicate to people who like you, are basically pre-programmed, base their opinions on believes ( call it scholarly knowledge in more advanced cases ) and presume that everyone is the same .

I wonder, if you ever , i mean ever enjoy the experience of your intelligence exploring, experimenting with the grounds of life , mind and matter , arriving at conclusions ( no matter how inconclusive they are ),

if you ever enjoy being you, rather than good copy of someones else's findings ?

Can you answer that question to Your Self ?

LOL - thanks for throwing this little 'edit' into the end of your post... because the first part made pretty much no sense to me whatsoever.

Also, it tells me quite a lot about you.

Firstly, you make many assumptions about me... isn't the first time somebody's done that and it won't be the last... but good for you anyway

Secondly, I have no desire to enter into some sort of spiritual pissing contest with you where each of us tries to demonstrate to the other how "enlightened" they are... mainly because it's just childish.

Thirdly, I know exactly who (and more importantly 'what') I am... and that's good enough for me.

Lastly, have a great day... and try to relax
    Last edited by Sgt-Bones; 15th August 2013 at 11:59.

9. Link to Post #106
    Australia Avalon Member Shannow's Avatar
    Thanks

There was an article in New Scientist ages and ages ago on a myth about "traditional" vegeteraianism, and it had to do with food hygeine factors that existed up until recent western times...they didn't have them, and they couldn't afford to throw out food.

As a result, it was estimated that 10% of a traditional vegetarian's protein intake was insect in origin, and that the insects had amazing fatty acid profiles, and made for a very healthy diet.

Can only imagine how they discovered natto etc. etc. before they had gym shoes to grow it in and flavour it.

Vegeterin is fine, if you know that bread, pasta, and white rice might be from vegetation but aren't nutrition.

10. Link to Post #107
    Thanks

The question being?
    ......if you "care about animals a lot" and "feel a lot better without meat" why not be completely vegetarian rather than "mostly"?

I'm sure you can recognise the absurdity in the statement: I care for the children, I only killed a couple last year.

Growing pains are just that: painful, but vital to growth.
    Last edited by Akasha; 15th August 2013 at 11:59.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Abhaya (15th August 2013)

12. Link to Post #108
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,470 times in 4,626 posts

More people ( extends to higher animals ) you eat, more fates you have to live for them . It's their pain and remorse you have to experience so why asking for it .
    The benefits outlaw the side effects is answer worth extreme survivalist ,

wonder why most members of this 'civilised society' feel that survivalism is their destiny .. , 7 billion populace who can't care for each other because there's not enough food and some have to be eaten to repair it , at the end ?

I fear .. but won't do that

The lesson is about how to prevent damage to our biological functioning, how to soothe pain resulting from such damage , reverse the effects if possible and re-install healthy humane experience .

The workings of Spirit are beyond all matters yet , there would be no way of experiencing them if there did not exist entanglement , synchronicity of laws between this world and another .

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Agape For This Post:

Akasha (15th August 2013), ulli (15th August 2013)

14. Link to Post #109
    Thanks

Quote Posted by alamojo (here)
    The fact that not a single vegetarian has commented on grain agriculture supports my comment on them being in denial.[COLOR="red"]
    The majority of grain production goes on feeding livestock and although I can't speak for others I'm going to assume that they haven't responded because they thought folk were aware of that.

For the record my diet has relatively small quantities of grain (and nuts and oil) in it being instead more concentrated on fruits (mainly high carb') and a large variety of vegetables, mostly locally grown.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Abhaya (15th August 2013), Peace4all (15th August 2013)

16. Link to Post #110
    Australia Avalon Member Shannow's Avatar
    Thanks

Feeding grain to cattle is ridiculous, and is only popular due to mass hypnotism/marketting, and lobbying by grain groups to have grain feed sold lower than production costs due to subsidies.

Cattle (meat and dairy) turn pasture into food, with a very healthy mineralisation and fatty acid profile. Feeding grain to animals ruins both, and makes the animals unhealthy to begin with.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shannow For This Post:

Akasha (15th August 2013), northstar (15th August 2013)

18. Link to Post #111
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,470 times in 4,626 posts

LOL - thanks for throwing this little 'edit' into the end of your post... because the first part made pretty much no sense to me whatsoever.

Also, it tells me quite a lot about you.

Firstly, you make many assumptions about me... isn't the first time somebody's done that and it won't be the last... but good for you anyway

Secondly, I have no desire to enter into some sort of spiritual pissing contest with you where each of us tries to demonstrate to the other how "enlightened" they are... mainly because it's just childish.

Thirdly, I know exactly who (and more importantly 'what') I am... and that's good enough for me.

Lastly, have a great day... and try to relax

Likewise, please have a good day ... I am not on preaching trip , and my original posting was quite sincere and based on few relevant observations made during my life, practise and research .

Those personal interjections truly serve entertainment alone, since we know very little of each other .

So please be calmed, I don't presume to know who you are , do not expect that you know who am I .

Even if you claim otherwise .

PS : ....and never seen you here ... keep safe

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Agape For This Post:

Akasha (15th August 2013), Sgt-Bones (15th August 2013)

20. Link to Post #112
    Thanks

......if you "care about animals a lot" and "feel a lot better without meat" why not be completely vegetarian rather than "mostly"?

I'm sure you can recognise the absurdity in the statement: I care for the children, I only killed a couple last year.

Growing pains are just that: painful, but vital to growth.
    Dear friend, it means that I sometimes eat fish, but quite rarely since I see nothing wrong in it. Why? Because that's what I decided. I used to at meat all the time before, but I felt that it was time for me to change my ways when my eyes were opened. The main thing for me was to stop eating red meat. I don't really like the choice of your words and I find them offensive. You could ask yourself that are you really that spiritual person when you so easily judge others?

I tried to spread some humour here, but I guess that there is always someone who likes to misunderstand sincere words. My bad, I shouldn't have said a word.
    Last edited by Wind; 15th August 2013 at 12:32.
    "When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." ~ George Harrison

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

Akasha (15th August 2013), northstar (15th August 2013), Peace4all (15th August 2013)

22. Link to Post #113
    Thanks

Please have the courage to go within and ask yourself why you find them offensive. There was no offence intended. I'm sorry.

23. Link to Post #114
    Thanks

Please have the courage to go within and ask yourself why you find them offensive. There was no offence intended. I'm sorry.
    It's all right, no hard feelings.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Wind For This Post:

25. Link to Post #115
    Thanks

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Agape (15th August 2013)

27. Link to Post #116
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,709 times in 914 posts

We are not our bodies you know... spirit is eternal.

With regard to soul contracts, there is a Vedic mantra that supports this theory:

“Mam sa khadatiti mamsah” … ie “whatever I am doing to you, you can do to me in my next life”.

Mam sa khadatiti mamsah. The Sanskrit word is mamsa. Mam means “me,” and sa means “he.” I am killing this animal; I am eating him. And in my next lifetime he’ll kill me and eat me. When the animal is sacrificed, this mantra is recited into the ear of the animal—”You are giving your life, so in your next life you will get the opportunity of becoming a human being. And I who am now killing you will become an animal, and you will kill me.”

So, there will always be those that eat meat, and those that choose not to. Only in the human form do we have the opportunity to choose. We will all choose, by choice, or by default (let others choose for us). I say, choose for your self, there is plenty of information out there. It your life path.

Regarding the premise of vegetarian diet being bad for you is itself, a myth. My healthy family is all the proof I need

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lettherebelight For This Post:

Abhaya (15th August 2013), Agape (15th August 2013), Akasha (15th August 2013), Sgt-Bones (15th August 2013), Wind (15th August 2013)

29. Link to Post #117
    Thanks

On a lighter note:

http://www.boreme.com/posting.php?id=29555
    Funny, though I prefer George Carlin.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Wind For This Post:

31. Link to Post #118
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Lettherebelight (here)
    “Mam sa khadatiti mamsah” … ie “whatever I am doing to you, you can do to me in my next life"
    .....if reincarnation is true then maybe.....but if not.....then what?

I'll grant you that it's certainly a very convenient concept for those wishing to justify blood sacrifice... which I think we can all agree is, at best, devoid of all logic.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Lettherebelight (15th August 2013)

33. Link to Post #119
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

I'm relieved to hear that but can you speak for all the slaughtered animals for which the metaphor was intended?

No, have you got any evidence for such things?
    Can I speak for the slaughtered animals?

No, of course not... they each have their own reasons for choosing to experience the existence they had here and the final outcomes for their own physical vessels.

This place is ALL about the experience... good, bad, ugly, indifferent, and everything in between.

The way I see it, it's all agreed to before we even get here, so it's ALL good... even the not so pleasant stuff.

The whole point of it is that we get to explore and experience the entire spectrum of possibilities and outcomes.

Often we have to enlist the help of others so as to ensure the desired experience or set of experiences is created for us.... hence the need for soul contracts/agreements.

Do I have any evidence for the existence of soul contracts?

Well, yes, but only the kind that comes from direct personal knowledge/experience of past lives.... which cannot be "proven" to others via words on a screen.

But I guess that was your point

34. Link to Post #120
    Thanks

On a lighter note:

http://www.boreme.com/posting.php?id=29555
    Funny, though I prefer George Carlin.
    So do I but relatively speaking he's just getting started.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 6 7 LastLast