+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 4 6 LastLast

Thread: Nanoo Nanoo's Movie Review Thread : 0 )

1. Link to Post #61
    United States Avalon Member Forevernyt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,759 times in 421 posts

Default Re: Nanoo Nanoo's Movie Review Thread : 0 )

Hey Nanoo, don't forget to check out The Fountain!
    There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go and poke it with a stick.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Forevernyt For This Post:

crosby (6th September 2013), dan33 (28th August 2013), DeDukshyn (3rd September 2013), Nanoo Nanoo (20th August 2013)

3. Link to Post #62
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,103 times in 20,640 posts

Another wonderful Elle Fanning movie is Ginger and Rosa, a grotty, low budget English film from last year.
    Excellent cast with cameos by Annette Bening, Timothy Spall, Oliver Platt...
    "With the Cold War looming over them, teen best pals Ginger and Rosa share everything in early 1960s London -- until betrayal drives them apart. Sally Potter directs this intimate period drama steeped in the anxieties of the dawning nuclear age."

Each breath a gift...

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

chocolate (21st August 2013), crosby (6th September 2013), dan33 (28th August 2013), Nanoo Nanoo (20th August 2013)

5. Link to Post #63
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Having just read this: https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...758#post717758
    I am reminded of a very funny movie I saw recently called Hysteria, about one of the great medical and scientific inventions of our time...

Quote In 1880s London, forward-thinking young doctor Mortimer Granville has a difficult time keeping a job until he and an inventor friend concoct an electrifying solution to the rampant "hysteria" affecting England's sexually and socially repressed women.

Cast:
    Hugh Dancy, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Jonathan Pryce, Felicity Jones, Rupert Everett, Ashley Jensen, Sheridan Smith, Gemma Jones
    Each breath a gift...

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

crosby (6th September 2013), dan33 (28th August 2013), meeradas (27th August 2013), Nanoo Nanoo (25th August 2013)

7. Link to Post #64
    Sao Tome Unsubscribed
    where ever there is a smile, ill be there :-)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,412 times in 1,702 posts

Quote Posted by onawah (here)
    I am reminded of a very funny movie I saw recently called Hysteria, about one of the great medical and scientific inventions of our time...

Quote In 1880s London, forward-thinking young doctor Mortimer Granville has a difficult time keeping a job until he and an inventor friend concoct an electrifying solution to the rampant "hysteria" affecting England's sexually and socially repressed women.

Cast:
    Hugh Dancy, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Jonathan Pryce, Felicity Jones, Rupert Everett, Ashley Jensen, Sheridan Smith, Gemma Jones
    You have got to be kidding me ? this looks crazy ! i had no idea such movies existed !

looks like a definite !

N

8. Link to Post #65
    Sao Tome Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Life Is Beautiful

Written by Vincenzo Cerami and Roberto Benigni is a movie every one should see. Set in Europe just before WW2 shows the care free lives of so many having been decidedly stripped by the atrocities of war. Starring and directed also by Benigni i remember when he won the oscar
    lol
    a typical italian reminds me of so many charming people i met in italy .. and reminded me so much of my father . This movie is a virtual carbon copy of his life except he made it out of the camps ... Nicoletta Braschi is just dreamy as the stereotypical european woman of her time , a lady and dedicated mother she often took my breath away with her glances and charm.

this movie is a powerful message of the strength of being in the face of tyranny and what one can endure to survive. The spirit of humanity is strong indeed and the repocussions of war echo on for so long... i thought we would have learned from the first two but it seems we are more attached to making ends meet..

A must see

Alien Star Rating 11

9. Link to Post #66
    Language
    English
    Thanks

You won't believe it until you see it. It's a laugh riot!
    Quote Posted by Nanoo Nanoo (here)
    Quote Posted by onawah (here)

Cast:
    You have got to be kidding me ? this looks crazy ! i had no idea such movies existed !

looks like a definite !

N
    Each breath a gift...

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

crosby (6th September 2013), dan33 (28th August 2013), Nanoo Nanoo (27th August 2013)

11. Link to Post #67
    United States Avalon Member gripreaper's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,685 times in 3,744 posts

Avatar. It's really the history of earth, DNA manipulated hybrids, the quest for gold, the invasion of earth from outside more advanced aliens, the immutable spirit of the indigenous Navi's, and of course, the ending...

Star rating 9
    "Lay Down Your Truth and Check Your Weapons
    The Next Voice You Hear Will Be Your OWN"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhS69C1tr0w

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gripreaper For This Post:

crosby (6th September 2013), dan33 (28th August 2013), donk (29th August 2013), fifi (6th September 2013), Nanoo Nanoo (27th August 2013), onawah (18th December 2013)

13. Link to Post #68
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,349 times in 2,716 posts

Hey Nanoo (or anyone), I’ve been curious about Event Horizon, which is often praised on this forum.

Can you tell me what you get out of it (what I am missing)?

I can usually get SOMETHING out of sci-fi flicks, but that one just goes over my head…what is the message/lesson to be learned?

14. Link to Post #69
    Thanks

Event Horizon is like Hellraiser in Space. It was very good. Very creepy and graphic. I own the DVD.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Forevernyt For This Post:

donk (30th August 2013)

16. Link to Post #70
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Forevernyt (here)
    Event Horizon is like Hellraiser in Space. It was very good. Very creepy and graphic. I own the DVD.
    What do you get out of it? What's the message...or even the story?

I've seen it a couple times, and seen it mentioned around te forum a lot, I am at a loss as to what exactly it is trying to say...or is it just a horror flick designed to scare for "fun"?

17. Link to Post #71
    Thanks

I think the underlying message is, we shouldn't forge ahead too quickly into uncharted waters, without a good navigator.
    Reminds me of this passage from H.P. Lovecraft:

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but someday the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age. - H.P. Lovecraft "The Call of Cthulhu"

Basically, they sent this ship into another dimension, thinking we were the superior intelligence. We found out pretty quick that we were just playthings to the forces that live there and became noticed by them in our own realm. Some things are better left alone.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Forevernyt For This Post:

crosby (6th September 2013), donk (30th August 2013), fifi (6th September 2013), Nanoo Nanoo (3rd September 2013), spiritwind (7th September 2013)

19. Link to Post #72
    Thanks

Nice! Kinda like a Pandora's Box story...or the "stare into the abyss too long, and the abyss stares back at you"....sorry for butchering the quote I can't even attribute (Drake, maybe?)...cuz the main dude gets kinda mind-parasited, it seems.

I struggle with it, I'm fairly certain the universe loves us and wants us to be happy, stories of slipping into the dark side--with no redemption--seems pretty non-human to me. I just don't see a lot of value, unless you value adding fear to you mind...or unless there's a possibility this "hell" it pictures truly exists...but again, the knowledge gained does not seem worth the fear added, when no hope is included

20. Link to Post #73
    Sao Tome Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by donk (here)
    Hey Nanoo (or anyone), I’ve been curious about Event Horizon, which is often praised on this forum.

Can you tell me what you get out of it (what I am missing)?

I can usually get SOMETHING out of sci-fi flicks, but that one just goes over my head…what is the message/lesson to be learned?
    havent seen it ... yet ! mwaaa MMMMWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAARGH ! cough !

N

¤=[Post Update]=¤

The Hidden

Ok now im feeling a little stupid.. how did i miss this one ? ! Aliens hijacking bodies stealing ferraris, listening to loud rock and robbing banks ! I LIKE IT ! i was rooting for the guy at the beginning lol thanks for pointing this one out Dan !

What a nutty ride and blackish humour in the mix.. Its good in a funny way , worth a look

Alien Star Rating 7

21. Link to Post #74
    Sao Tome Unsubscribed
    Thanks

i wanted to pay a tribute to one of my favorite comedic charachters , the ever in edible Dr Evil

Mike Myres sheer comic genius at work just hits me where it hurts so good !

Alien Star Rating 10

22. Link to Post #75
    Sao Tome Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Hysteria

a movie about a the vibrators gestation through the eyes of womens rights ? I would have to sympathise with women on every level having been at the hands of the english would have been utterly dismantling. You english men dont have the best of reputations when it comes to edifying and satisfying your woman. This has turned into a swamp of movements that are indeed poignant and just.

pay heed men of the world, you have been replaced by a rabbit ! women who are dis satisfied know what im talking about lol

Guys you must see this movie ! its so god damn funny and entertaining i cannot discribe it in words. I was charmed all the way through from beginning to the end.

directed by Tanya Wexler was evident in her ability to capture such convincing acts it was mind blowing ! Wriiten by Jonah Marsh and Steven Dwyer is set in the ever charming london town.

Felicity Jones and Maggie Gyllenhaal were awesome but Sheridan Smith and Kim Chriswell take the cake ! outstanding performacnes ! I also particularly enjoyed the charachter Lord Edmind Smythe played by Rupert Everett.

what this movie hits at its core is the need for Love more than ever. In the fight for womens rights at the hands of dried up prunes that need a good shelacking !

I totally adored this movie and i even cried !

a must see

Alien Star Rating 11

here is is if you wannit

http://viooz.co/movies/3398-hysteria-2011.html
    Last edited by Nanoo Nanoo; 4th September 2013 at 09:24.

23. Link to Post #76
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,067 times in 698 posts

well folks since there arent many good scifi movies in the last years, these two are my favourites in the past ->

Sunshine

Great Soundtrack and a philosophical message, realy liked it.

Moon

If you liked the Movie "Cube" you will love this one also
    Last edited by seehas; 3rd September 2013 at 23:26.
    " Loka samasta sukhino bhavantu / May all beings in all worlds be happy and free and may the thoughts, words and actions of my own life contribute in some way to that happiness and to that freedom for all "

tibetian mantra

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to seehas For This Post:

crosby (6th September 2013), DeDukshyn (3rd September 2013), onawah (6th September 2013), RMorgan (10th September 2013)

25. Link to Post #77
    Sao Tome Unsubscribed
    Thanks

we need more sci fi ! but good sci fi !

like ... umm .. someone needs to make some good sci fi for us sci fi buffs !

N

26. Link to Post #78
    Sao Tome Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Heres some funny Scifi stuff

the chicken rendition of the star wars theme is priceless.

hmmm

N
    Last edited by Nanoo Nanoo; 7th September 2013 at 11:06.

27. Link to Post #79
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Nanoo, I am so pleased you actually watched Hysteria and praised it as well as you did.
    I thought it was just delightful, and agree with everything you said.
    I wish there were more like it, but it's very unique.

The Hidden is also a very funny movie, one of my favorite sci-fi movies.

I like the direction this thread is going!

Quote Posted by Nanoo Nanoo (here)
    Hysteria

a movie about a the vibrators gestation through the eyes of womens rights ? I would have to sympathise with women on every level having been at the hands of the english would have been utterly dismantling. You english men dont have the best of reputations when it comes to edifying and satisfying your woman. This has turned into a swamp of movements that are indeed poignant and just.

pay heed men of the world, you have been replaced by a rabbit ! women who are dis satisfied know what im talking about lol

Guys you must see this movie ! its so god damn funny and entertaining i cannot discribe it in words. I was charmed all the way through from beginning to the end.

directed by Tanya Wexler was evident in her ability to capture such convincing acts it was mind blowing ! Wriiten by Jonah Marsh and Steven Dwyer is set in the ever charming london town.

Felicity Jones and Maggie Gyllenhaal were awesome but Sheridan Smith and Kim Chriswell take the cake ! outstanding performacnes ! I also particularly enjoyed the charachter Lord Edmind Smythe played by Rupert Everett.

what this movie hits at its core is the need for Love more than ever. In the fight for womens rights at the hands of dried up prunes that need a good shelacking !

I totally adored this movie and i even cried !

a must see

Alien Star Rating 11

here is is if you wannit

http://viooz.co/movies/3398-hysteria-2011.html
    Each breath a gift...

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

crosby (6th September 2013), Nanoo Nanoo (7th September 2013)

29. Link to Post #80
    Sao Tome Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Hitchikrers Guide To The Galaxy

All i can say is ... aaaah ...

Zooey Dechanel is hot ( as always )

Sam Rockwell is a genius !

The whole movie is real and it should be required viweing by all earthlings !

Nothing more said , havent seen it ? get it now !

Alien Star Rating 12

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 4 6 LastLast