Netherlands Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,625 times in 2,401 posts

Default Candle powered space heater

2. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,921 times in 4,417 posts

Default Re: Candle powered space heater

Very clever!!!!! I guess clay pots in various sizes should go on the bug-out bag list!!!!!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sidney For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (29th April 2013), bennycog (29th April 2013)

4. Link to Post #3
    Netherlands Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Wantsthetruth74 (here)
    Very clever!!!!! I guess clay pots in various sizes should go on the bug-out bag list!!!!!
    Whahahaha nice one, i will try to find a small packable chiropractor to go along with the pots.

But all jokes aside here, a few molten tea candles in a tin with a lid make a good heater too, when on the move that is and you have a small max two /three person tent shelter, you can also cook on that and heat your tent safely without the danger of setting yourself on fire, works quite well.
    Last edited by 778 neighbour of some guy; 29th April 2013 at 13:42.

5. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Any idea what the CO output would be on a pot unit like that?

6. Link to Post #5
    Netherlands Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Any idea what the CO output would be on a pot unit like that?
    No clue

7. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Always something to consider when heating a small area. But all you need to do is crack a window or door. My guess, in an emergency situation, you may not be in a sealed building. This thing could also come in handy for people that live in areas where blizzards hit. Keep one in the trunk, in case you get stranded in a snow storm. That way you dont risk co poisoning by leaving the car on while you sleep, and save your gas at the same time.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sidney For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (29th April 2013)

9. Link to Post #7
    Netherlands Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Always something to consider when heating a small area. But all you need to do is crack a window or door. My guess, in an emergency situation, you may not be in a sealed building. This thing could also come in handy for people that live in areas where blizzards hit. Keep one in the trunk, in case you get stranded in a snow storm. That way you dont risk co poisoning by leaving the car on while you sleep, and save your gas at the same time.
    Well for in a car in would just throw a cheap ski suit and some handwarmers in the trunk, toss the handwarmers in your shoes and gloves and tape one to your sternum to keep your blood warm and pumping smoothly, cold tends to make the viscosity change of all fluids, in case of blood its just the same, you want to keep that bloodflow and oxigen flow as smooth and easy as possible to all extremities.

10. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,111 times in 3,950 posts

Cool or not so as in this Hot case
    I'm a simple easy going guy that is very upset/sad with the worlds hidden controllers!
    We need LEADERS who bat from the HEART!
    Rise up above them Dark evil doers, not within anger but with LOVE

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunny-side-up For This Post:

12. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,327 times in 3,414 posts

Not really sure why the heat from one candle would have a greater effect on warming a room if you put this device over it or not. It might be a good thing to put your hands on to warm them, but it's not going to make your room any warmer.

13. Link to Post #10
    Netherlands Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Kryztian (here)
    Not really sure why the heat from one candle would have a greater effect on warming a room if you put this device over it or not. It might be a good thing to put your hands on to warm them, but it's not going to make your room any warmer.
    The heat from the candle heats concentrates on the rod and washers, that radiates out to the pot, pots heat up, room heats up. for more heat, add larger washers and more candles, more heat gets radiated out, in any case its a nice DIY project that will be productive by its practical appication only.

Found something better, do no hestitate to post.

14. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,405 times in 466 posts

I live in Canada and it gets pretty cold here in the winter. And since our power company was privatized a few years ago we get power interruptions all the time now. So I have been pondering how to find an easy, cheap way to provide safe emergency heating indoors for times when the power goes out in winter.

I love this setup and I am going to purchase the supplies and make it. It looks very cheap and easy!

They do explain why this system heats the room better than if you simply used a candle. The builders say that they have used it and it heats a room very well.

But as Wantsthetruth74 mentioned I am also interested in whether or not there would be a cardon monoxide risk. Nobody ever says that burning candles in a room is a CO risk so I am wondering why commenters on the Youtube page were suggesting that there might be a CO risk. I am genuinely interested in an answer to this, if there are any technically oriented board members out there who know about this stuff.
    Last edited by northstar; 29th April 2013 at 15:09.

15. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

Quote Posted by northstar (here)
    I live in Canada and it gets pretty cold here in the winter. And since our power company was privatized a few years ago we get power interruptions all the time now. So I have been pondering how to find an easy, cheap way to provide safe emergency heating indoors for times when the power goes out in winter.

I love this setup and I am going to purchase the supplies and make it. It looks very cheap and easy!

They do explain why this system heats the room better than if you simply used a candle. The builders say that they have used it and it heats a room very well.

But as Wantsthetruth74 mentioned I am also interested in whether or not there would be a cardon monoxide risk. Nobody ever says that burning candles in a room is a CO risk so I am wondering why commenters on the Youtube page were suggesting that there might be a CO risk. I am genuinely interested in an answer to this, if there are any technically oriented board members out there who know about this stuff.
    an easy test would be to get a CO detector and put this "heater" in a small room with it. See how long it takes to go off (if it sets it off at all).

16. Link to Post #13
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,405 times in 466 posts

Quote Posted by northstar (here)

an easy test would be to get a CO detector and put this "heater" in a small room with it. See how long it takes to go off (if it sets it off at all).

haha!
    Great minds think alike, I was thinking the same thing!
    The 'rebellion' of the Mind, having the Mind run the show, is the Luciferian rebellion of wanting to leave Love-Christ-Heart behind and create a universe without the 'pesky feeling of the heart' holding it back
    ~ Tobias Lars

17. The Following User Says Thank You to northstar For This Post:

Sidney (29th April 2013)

18. Link to Post #14
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,784 times in 3,539 posts

Got the recipe, now to test the product.

Thanks!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Lifebringer For This Post:

20. Link to Post #15
    Great Britain Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,391 times in 1,757 posts

https://youtube.com/watch?v=TMCR-ie9H_w

I have one of these SS base camp from the collection of any old carbon you get heat and a brew, took less than 5 minutes to boil water.

21. Link to Post #16
    Netherlands Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by sheme (here)
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=TMCR-ie9H_w

I have one of these SS base camp from the collection of any old carbon you get heat and a brew, took less than 5 minutes to boil water.
    The thread is about candle powered space heaters, and yes i know what a kelly kettle is.

Thanks for your reply.

22. Link to Post #17
    Great Britain Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,391 times in 1,757 posts

Quote Posted by 778 neighbour of some guy (here)
    The heat from the candle heats concentrates on the rod and washers, that radiates out to the pot, pots heat up, room heats up. for more heat, add larger washers and more candles, more heat gets radiated out, in any case its a nice DIY project that will be productive by its practical appication only.

Found something better, do no hestitate to post.
    Sorry I thought the KK was better- mae culpa!

23. Link to Post #18
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,327 times in 3,414 posts

Quote Posted by 778 neighbour of some guy (here)

Found something better, do no hesitate to post.
    The candle only puts out a certain amount of energy, a fixed number of BTUs or calories. The candle will release exactly as much heat into the room, either with or without the flower pot device on top of it. The only difference is that the device will cause the heat to be released to the room more slowly. The energy will be stores in the pot a bit longer, and it will be a nice place to warm your hands. It isn't going to get your room any hotter.

+ Reply to Thread