+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 'BUG BURGER'.... 'FLIES' with 'SLUG Shake'.... UN urges people to eat insects to fight world hunger

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 79,645 times in 18,693 posts

Default 'BUG BURGER'.... 'FLIES' with 'SLUG Shake'.... UN urges people to eat insects to fight world hunger

UN urges people to eat insects to fight world hunger

13 May 2013 Last updated at 14:00

UN urges people to eat insects to fight world hungerComments (647)

Bug salad Over 2 billion people worldwide already supplement their diet with insects

I'm a celeb- George's BushTucker Bonanza

Continue reading the main story
    Related Stories
    Would you eat bugs instead of meat? Watch
    The locust-eaters of Israel
    What will we be eating in 20 years' time?

Eating more insects could help fight world hunger, according to a new UN report.

The report by the UN Food and Agriculture Organization says that eating insects could
    help boost nutrition and reduce pollution.It notes than over 2 billion people worldwide
    already supplement their diet with insects. However it admits that "consumer disgust"
    remains a large barrier in many Western countries.

Continue reading the main story
    Insect nutritional value /100g
    Food source Protein (g) Calcium (mg) Iron (mg)
    Source: Montana State University

Caterpillar
    n/a

Grasshopper

Dung beetle

Minced beef
    n/a

Discover more about insects
    More on protein and healthy eating

Wasps, beetles and other insects are currently "underutilised" as food for people and
    livestock, the report says. Insect farming is "one of the many ways to address food and
    feed security". "Insects are everywhere and they reproduce quickly, and they have high
    growth and feed conversion rates and a low environmental footprint," according to the report.

Nutritional value

The authors point out that insects are nutritious, with high protein, fat and mineral
    content.They are "particularly important as a food supplement for undernourished
    children".Insects are also "extremely efficient" in converting feed into edible meat.
    Crickets, for example, need 12 times less feed than cattle to produce the same amount
    of protein, according to the report.

Most insects are are likely to produce fewer environmentally harmful greenhouse gases
    than other livestock. The ammonia emissions associated with insect-rearing are far
    lower than those linked to conventional livestock such as pigs, says the report.

Delicacies
    A festival-goers enjoys an 'insects pizza' at one of the many food stalls during the 34th
    edition of the Paleo festival on July 22, 2009 in Nyon. The report calls for insect dishes
    to be added to restaurant menus Insects are regularly eaten by many of the world's
    population, but the thought may seem shocking to many Westerners. The report
    suggests that the food industry could help in "raising the status of insects" by including
    them in new recipes and adding them to restaurant menus. It goes on to note that in
    some places, certain insects are considered delicacies. For example some caterpillars in
    southern Africa are seen as luxuries and command high prices.Most edible insects are
    gathered in forests and serve niche markets, the report states. It calls for improved
    regulation and production for using insects as feed.

"The use of insects on a large scale as a feed ingredient is technically feasible, and
    established companies in various parts of the world are already leading the way," it
    adds.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-22508439

======================================================

Eating insects is not knew of course , just not culturally part of our eatern
    diet today,though still enjoyed around the world.

Gross Grub Thai Food Series: Shopping for Bugs Pt 3 -Wife eats cricket

Uploaded on 17 Aug 2009

Thai girl eats a cricket in this 3rd part of the Gross Grub Thai food Series shopping for
    bugs video. In Thailand eating bugs is normal and considered a tasty snack. There are
    all kinds. I eat 13 strange bugs here - including scorpion, silk worms, and bamboo
    worms. Thai foods are varied - diverse. Do they have Thai recipes including bugs, at
    your favorite Thai food restaurant?

Last edited by Cidersomerset; 13th May 2013 at 21:37.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

DeDukshyn (13th May 2013), gigha (13th May 2013), InCiDeR (13th May 2013), Joseph McAree (13th May 2013), northstar (14th May 2013), Zampano (14th May 2013)

3. Link to Post #2
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,466 times in 8,541 posts

Default Re: 'BUG BURGER'.... 'FLIES' with 'SLUG Shake'.... UN urges people to eat insects to fight world hunger

Switching our protein sources to insects and ocean krill will collapse the industries that are destroying the earth. Bring on the bugs!
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Cidersomerset (13th May 2013), GlassSteagallfan (14th May 2013), Zampano (14th May 2013)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

Default Re: 'BUG BURGER'.... 'FLIES' with 'SLUG Shake'.... UN urges people to eat insects to fight world hunger

Quote Switching our protein sources to insects and ocean krill will collapse the industries that are destroying the earth. Bring on the bugs!
    I had King Prawn pasta for tea, so I'm halfway there ..LOL..

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

DeDukshyn (13th May 2013)

7. Link to Post #4
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Mmmm! Giant ocean bugs ... <droool>

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Cidersomerset (13th May 2013)

9. Link to Post #5
    Canada Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,460 times in 1,155 posts

I will eat anything as long as their is not hair on it

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vitalux For This Post:

Cidersomerset (13th May 2013), DeDukshyn (13th May 2013)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

It was lovely & simple noodles, prawns and chili sauce five mins in a saucepan LOL...

Mine was not as pretty as this but just as good to eat....

Last edited by Cidersomerset; 14th May 2013 at 00:01.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

DeDukshyn (14th May 2013)

13. Link to Post #7
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Cidersomerset (here)
    It was lovely & simple noodles, prawns and chili sauce five mins in a saucepan LOL...

Mine was not as pretty as this but just as good to eat....

And that is what I think of when I think "eating bugs" -- we already eat ocean bugs and consider them a delicacy even - shrimp, prawns, lobsters, crabs, crayfish -- all bugs! So the overall concept isn't all that gross when one thinks about it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Cidersomerset (14th May 2013)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,286 times in 818 posts

^^We? uhmmm, perhaps you mean some of us.

There’s absolutely no reason/need for me to kill and eat those species. For the last 12 or so years my higher self has afforded me the will and knowledge to survive and live a much more healthier, enlightened, and productive life after removing my flesh consumption. Knowing what I know now I wish I would have done this as soon as I left the womb. No insects for me, Sorry, no thank you. I'll rather stay with my diet of fruits, beans and grains.

Peace
    --
    Humans created so much wonder through their division, just imagine what they can do through Unity...

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peace of Mind For This Post:

Cidersomerset (15th May 2013), Holly Lindin (16th May 2013), Patient (30th May 2022)

17. Link to Post #9
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,410 times in 1,804 posts

There's no food shortage. I'm sick of reading lies from the UN. Can someone come and stick the ringleaders in jail please? That's an ORDER.

- We throw away a full third of what we grow due to improper storage.
    - If we all ate a little less meat we'd free up a ton of land and water.
    - Sprouts and Kudzu could provide some very quick famine food. Alfalfa is edible in 3 days from a seed.
    - Plenty of people have been trying to start visionary agri-projects for years. Crowdfunding is gathering steam.

If you want to eat Stag Beetle Surprise, be my guest, but there's no need for it.

They're either incompetent intellectuals or liars.

EDIT, but nothing against the OP. Its great to have this stuff posted.
    Last edited by Daozen; 16th May 2013 at 04:03.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Daozen For This Post:

Cidersomerset (15th May 2013), Holly Lindin (16th May 2013), marique3652 (17th May 2013), Patient (30th May 2022)

19. Link to Post #10
    Netherlands Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,625 times in 2,401 posts

Sigh, all those extraterrestrial insect races must hate our guts too now, and we are doing great as a species eh?

Totally weird to be honest, I ate some deep fried bugs once and they taste fine, on the other hand hugelkultur, biochar, and mulching can feed the soil with all nutrients and boost crop yields to a staggering level, this is not news btw and they know it, there is no shortage of foods or technologies, its a infrastructure problem.

20. Link to Post #11
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,520 times in 5,690 posts

there's just one small problem: getting over the "yeuckkk" factor No thanks - not until I'm bordering on starvation anyways ;-/
    Last edited by KiwiElf; 16th May 2013 at 11:22.

21. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,151 times in 3,856 posts

The UN (don't get me started!) seems to have their noses too far up people's business these day; especially America's. Yuck! Why don't THEY eat this stuff and stop telling us what to do? Of course, they get so much money from the American people's tax dollars that they can afford to eat GOOD food, luxury homes, good education for THEIR kids while ours have to go to substandard public schools. The nerve of these people!
    Sorry, the subject of the United Nations is a sore spot for me. This food doesn't even look appetizing. I saw a tv show years ago about making roach burgers. Considering that roaches carry 5 major diseases, the thought of eating them made me nauseous. Glad I'm a vegetarian....

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Maia Gabrial For This Post:

Holly Lindin (16th May 2013)

23. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

Quote there's just one small problem: getting over the "yeuckkk" factor No thanks - not until I'm bordering on starvation anyways ;-/
    If you are hungry enough Kiwi...LOL...How about ...

New Energy Bar Includes Crickets in Ingredients

Published on 11 Mar 2013

An energy bar company utilizes cricket protein.

Health bar company, Chapul is creating products which have cricket protein flour.

The newest bar contains dark chocolate, dates, peanuts and the insect protein.

The company states "For centuries, human civilizations have rightly considered
    insects an excellent, plentiful and resource-efficient source of protein. Eating
    insects provides an incredibly rich source of protein, iron and omega-3 acids and
    are very low in cholesterols and fat."

Chapul claims that 80 percent of the world still consumes insects as a part of their
    diet, including stir fried tree ants and grasshoppers. The company believes the
    American diet is dependent on protein derived from "unhealthy and inefficient
    sources".

The business wants to initiate a revolutionary change by utilizing bugs in their
    products, as they say protein sources like cattle and pigs use massive amounts of
    water resources and add to greenhouse gas emissions.

Last year, students at Middlebury College started their own business with plans to
    provide crickets as a viable source of food. The group was inspired by a trip to
    Thailand, where eating bugs is common.

24. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

Aboriginal people will east most things edible in the catchment/hunting areas.........

Published on 14 Dec 2010

While camping in the bush Ross and Max meet a couple
    of Aboriginies and get stuck into some Bush Tucker
    including Witchetty grubs!

Published on 21 Dec 2012

Digging for Witchetty Grubs and Goanna then enjoying the spoils of their efforts.

---------------------------------------------------------------

That's inspired me to go hunting..LOL....

25. Link to Post #15
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,410 times in 1,804 posts

Quote Yuck! Why don't THEY eat this stuff and stop telling us what to do?
    Hahhaha zzzzzzzzzzzzing!!!

Quote there is no shortage of foods or technologies, its a infrastructure problem.
    Exactly. Drying, Storage, Distro.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Daozen For This Post:

Cidersomerset (17th May 2013)

27. Link to Post #16
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,151 times in 3,856 posts

Remember when the Health organizations made sure that bugs stayed out of our foods?

What I want to know is why are they so bent on making us eat bugs?. If the psychopaths would stop with the chemtrailing and weather weapons. Stop blocking the Sun's rays. Stop using weather modification to cause draughts. Our food sources would be able to thrive and we could eat normal food. This just proves that the UN is in bed with the Illuminati....

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Maia Gabrial For This Post:

KiwiElf (21st May 2013)

29. Link to Post #17
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Daozen (here)
    There's no food shortage. I'm sick of reading lies from the UN. Can someone come and stick the ringleaders in jail please? That's an ORDER.

- We throw away a full third of what we grow due to improper storage.
    - If we all ate a little less meat we'd free up a ton of land and water.
    - Sprouts and Kudzu could provide some very quick famine food. Alfalfa is edible in 3 days from a seed.
    - Plenty of people have been trying to start visionary agri-projects for years. Crowdfunding is gathering steam.

If you want to eat Stag Beetle Surprise, be my guest, but there's no need for it.

They're either incompetent intellectuals or liars.

EDIT, but nothing against the OP. Its great to have this stuff posted.

There is no food shortage -- they are burning down ALL the South American rain forest, where 20% of the earths oxygen is produced, where the majority of the earths air is cleaned, where 90% of all our medicines are sourced, and where half of all the diversity of life on the planet exists.

They are burning them down for farmland to grow soybeans to feed cattle to to feed westerners, to prevent a food shortage. Sure glad the rapture is coming because imagine what happens when we keep up this reckless direction without any adjustment.

This isn't about a perceived food shortage -- its about responsible sustainability for the future of planet earth. A concept often loss to simpler programs / beliefs / thoughts.
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 18th May 2013 at 19:44.

30. Link to Post #18
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Peace of Mind (here)
    ^^We? uhmmm, perhaps you mean some of us.

There’s absolutely no reason/need for me to kill and eat those species. For the last 12 or so years my higher self has afforded me the will and knowledge to survive and live a much more healthier, enlightened, and productive life after removing my flesh consumption. Knowing what I know now I wish I would have done this as soon as I left the womb. No insects for me, Sorry, no thank you. I'll rather stay with my diet of fruits, beans and grains.

Peace
    No one was speaking to you obviously if you are a vegetarian. But at least we all know how proud you are to be one! Congrats!

31. Link to Post #19
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,286 times in 818 posts

Thanks. And, Pardon that brief interruption, it was mearly a small clarity issue I've chosen for my post's presentation. The bit extra was on me, 2cents isn't going to hurt my pockets.

Peace
    --
    Humans created so much wonder through their division, just imagine what they can do through Unity...

32. Link to Post #20
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,320 times in 4,085 posts

If you like the idea of eating bugs get ready, it may be your lucky day soon!

Wales UK, which is run by people who are very enthusiastic about the WEF's plans, are talking about introducing this for real today.

Primary school children to be fed edible insects to help make UK greener
    https://www.gbnews.uk/news/primary-s...greener/306109

Locusts and mealworms will be on the menu for children at four primary schools in Wales
    Jamie Micklethwaite
    PUBLISHED Monday 30 May 2022 - 13:14

Primary school children soon be offered insects as part of their school dinners, in order to help the environment.

Four primary schools in Wales will be piloting a scheme offering children "alternative proteins".

Crickets, grasshoppers, silkworms, locusts and mealworms will be on the menu for children in Pembrokeshire.

This is after a 2020 study by the International Platform of Insects for Food and Feed (IPIFF) found nine million European consumers ate insects in 2019.

Study author Verity Jones, of the University of West of England in Bristol said: ‘Everyone eats insects everyday – there’s over 30 parts of bugs in every 100g of chocolate … bread, fruit juices, hops … you name it, you’re eating insects,’ she said.

"All research, for adults and children, indicates whole insects are off-putting, but ground-up insects within foods are very acceptable.

"No one likes the idea of having a crunchy bit of wing or antenna between their teeth.

:But, in fact, children were more likely to choose food containing edible insects over usual meat products on a matter of sustainable credentials if given the option.

"My research indicates, as with adults, that boys are more likely to be up for trying the new foods first – but overall both boys and girls seem to be willing to have a go in equal measure."

Insect farms are believed to emit 75% less carbon than traditional livestock.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Matthew For This Post:

avid (30th May 2022), Harmony (31st May 2022), Tintin (30th May 2022)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast